PDA

View Full Version : Frank Burlison Likes the Zags

ZagNative
11-02-2011, 11:43 AM
Frank Burlison (http://www.burlisononbasketball.com/2011/11/making-the-first-dent-in-the-preseason-top-16/)'s Preseason top 16 in the nation:

Making the first dent in the Preseason Top 16
Written on November 1, 2011 by Frank Burlison

And the countdown begins – so to speak . . .

The 2011-12 college hoops season is top heavy with squads that are more than capable earning one of the four reservations in New Orleans for the final weekend of the season.

In a few days I’ll unveil the teams I believe fall into that category.

For now, it’s time to unveil my preseason choices as the best 16 teams in the country.
No. 13 GONZAGA

Why: Mark Few has a nice balance of inside (Robert Sacre/Elias Harris/Sam Dower/Kelly Olynyk) and outside (Marquise Carter/David Stockton/Mathis Monninghoff) returnees, with Sacre and Harris each a West Coast Conference Player of the Year candidate.

Why not: What if the freshman perimeter trio of Kevin Pangos, Gary Bell and Kyle Dranginis is shell-shocked after the Bulldogs’ usual November-December taxing schedule (with the likes of Notre Dame, Illinois, Michigan State, Arizona, Butler and Xavier on tap)?

Robzagnut
11-02-2011, 12:28 PM
I always think of them as being battle-hardened instead of shell-shocked.

As Pittsburgh Steeler coach Mike Tomlin always says about playing tough competition, "Iron sharpens iron."

primal23
11-02-2011, 12:45 PM
As Pittsburgh Steeler coach Mike Tomlin always says about playing tough competition, "Iron sharpens iron."

This doesn't apply to WCC teams. GU, BYU and Portland excluded.

Kiddwell
11-02-2011, 02:58 PM
13 is a very comfortable number. On the one hand, it's a compliment to be but arm's length from the Top Ten. On the other, it's irrating not to be in the Top Ten. A nice "not gonna be cocky, got something to prove" spot.

:]

Robzagnut
11-02-2011, 03:12 PM
This doesn't apply to WCC teams. GU, BYU and Portland excluded.

If you read the article it refers to their out of conference schedule:

"after the Bulldogs usual November-December taxing schedule (with the likes of Notre Dame, Illinois, Michigan State, Arizona, Butler and Xavier on tap)? "

primal23
11-02-2011, 04:28 PM
If you read the article it refers to their out of conference schedule:

"after the Bulldogs usual November-December taxing schedule (with the likes of Notre Dame, Illinois, Michigan State, Arizona, Butler and Xavier on tap)? "

No I was referencing your comment on playing tough opponents, and meaning the other WCC teams OOC games.

MickMick
11-02-2011, 05:20 PM
All the reporters can reference at the moment is the returning players.

Wait until they discover that the real strength of GU is the infusion of new blood.

kitzbuel
11-02-2011, 06:55 PM
Frank Burlison and I share something in common.

RenoZag
11-02-2011, 06:58 PM
Wait until they discover that the real strength of GU is the infusion of new blood.

Man, I hope you're right. . .

bigblahla
11-02-2011, 07:12 PM
All the reporters can reference at the moment is the returning players.Wait until they discover that the real strength of GU is the infusion of new blood.

I agree Mick. Just a matter of time.

Go!! Zags!!!

ZagsGoZags
11-02-2011, 07:19 PM
Usually we are battle hardened by New Year's Day
last year I would say we were shell shocked

TheGonzagaFactor
11-02-2011, 08:59 PM
Usually we are battle hardened by New Year's Day
last year I would say we were shell shocked

Yeah, we looked really shell shocked after destroying Oklahoma State on New Year's Eve.

ZagsGoZags
11-10-2011, 02:13 AM
Dear GonzagaFactor:
You are right we were not shell shocked, but jubilant, on New Years.

What I should have said is that in the last 10 years I have followed the Zags religiously, last year is the only year I truly worried whether we would:
win the conference
win the tournament
get into the Dance - and twice I felt shell shocked

and I think many of us felt closer to shellshocked twice last year than any time in the last ten years,

Dec 15 we were 4 W 5 L and had lost three straight

then again shellshocked around

Jan 30 when we had just lost to Santa clara, San Francisco, and St Marys three in a row

So, shellshocked for the first time in ten years twice, but not at the time of New Years Eve.