PDA

View Full Version : What will be the November W - L record ?

RenoZag
10-31-2011, 03:08 PM
Just for grins, what do you think the Zags' record will be after they play the first 5 games of the season ?

TheGonzagaFactor
10-31-2011, 03:26 PM
vs EWU
vs WSU
WMU-Arena
Hawaii-Vancouver
vs Notre Dame

No true road games...

Could be as bad as 2-3 but I think they will keep it together and win all 5.

bartruff1
10-31-2011, 03:27 PM
vs EWU
vs WSU
WMU-Arena
Hawaii-Vancouver
vs Notre Dame

No true road games...

Could be as bad as 2-3 but I think they will keep it together and win all 5. Sure..me too...

stevet75
10-31-2011, 03:28 PM
Our guards are young, I think we slip up somewhere. 4 - 1

kitzbuel
10-31-2011, 03:45 PM
Elias needs revenge for his treatment against Wake and GU wins out for the month.

willandi
10-31-2011, 03:46 PM
I went with 5-0, and just to let you know, I'm at 100% so far this season!

bigblahla
10-31-2011, 04:06 PM
Take them just one at time. "1+1+1+1+1"

We have the talent to win each and every game. How well we adjust to whom we play through study of scouting reports and in game play will tell the story.

Zag fan here, cant' jinx them, haven't lost a game.

"1+1+1+1+1"

And now I'll have some more Kool-Aid! :D

Go!! Zags!!!

cggonzaga
10-31-2011, 07:24 PM
Could be as bad as 2-3 but I think they will keep it together and win all 5.

Just curious which games you think we could lose out of those 5? All 5 of those games are extremely winnable. If we start out 2-3 against that competition then that means Rob, EH and Carter are playing terribly and our freshmen aren't as good as we thought. Since I don't see any of those scenarios happening, we start 5-0 with a close game against ND.

kclubfounder
10-31-2011, 07:36 PM
Believe 5-0, voted 4-1 because I'm never right when I make a prediction. Hoping my 4-1 is incorrect (because we are 5-0).

ldszagfan
10-31-2011, 07:46 PM
Just curious which games you think we could lose out of those 5? All 5 of those games are extremely winnable. If we start out 2-3 against that competition then that means Rob, EH and Carter are playing terribly and our freshmen aren't as good as we thought. Since I don't see any of those scenarios happening, we start 5-0 with a close game against ND.

Couldn't agree more. The only one that I see giving us trouble is Notre Dame and I think that one is pretty darn winnable.

MDABE80
10-31-2011, 08:41 PM
Frosh will be ready with a few games. I'm picking 5-0. Too good to lose the simple games this group.
I wish we had more games in the preseason. Best make each one count. I think this team will.

Kiddwell
10-31-2011, 08:50 PM
...Kiddwell will positively :explode:

:]

Baldwinzag
10-31-2011, 09:20 PM
vs EWU (cruise, everyone gets playing time, win by 25+)

vs WSU (toughest match-up of the month with their veteran guards, closer than comfort win, back n' forth, win by less than 5 pts)

WMU-Arena (most athletic team we'll face, much better team than given credit for, GU will be gaining momentum, pull away late for 10-12 pt win)

Hawaii-Vancouver (Rob plays big for home-town crowd, Hawaii guards are quicker, our boys are more skilled for a 15 pt win)

vs Notre Dame (we get torched from deep, but ND doesn't have the horses to rebound & compete in the paint, they get in foul trouble early and we win by 7 pts).

Undefeated November. Only game I see us potentially losing is WSU.

FieldHouseFishHouse
10-31-2011, 09:32 PM
Elias needs revenge for his treatment against Wake and GU wins out for the month.

???

kreese555
10-31-2011, 11:01 PM
I think every game, besides WSU and ND, are pretty established "duhs". We're probably gonna win all those games, and in deciding fashion. In the past, WSU has given us problems and I think they return a pretty decent team this year. The Golden Domers return a pretty good team too, and it's hard to rule them out. Overall, I see us losing to one of the two, not sure which (WSU if I had to pick one) so I think we'll take 4 of the 5. First post by the way, been lurking for 2 years. Parrty.

TheGonzagaFactor
10-31-2011, 11:11 PM

I did say I thought we would win all of them, but in a nightmare scenario we could lose to WSU, ND, and one other game (maybe WMU). I agree that all the games are very "winnable" (what games aren't?) which is why I said I thought we would go 5-0. I don't actually think we will go 2-3, but I didn't think we would lose 5 non conf games on 08-09, so I was just trying to show a range of what could happen.

HOOTER
10-31-2011, 11:39 PM
5-0. I wanted to say 4-1, but I just can't think of a game in November that isn't winnable. December may be a different story.

ZagsGoZags
11-01-2011, 12:02 AM
Wow,
looks like I am not the only fan gulping down the cool-aid

FlyZag
11-01-2011, 08:50 AM
College basketball is generally guard dominated. Hard to win without good guard play. Our young back court will take some time to gel. Bell, Pangos, Stockton and Dranginis will take their lumps early but get it together by conference play. We drop 2 in November... WSU & WMU

ZagtotheCoeur
11-01-2011, 02:31 PM
I think the WMU got a little easier with the depatrture of Juwan Howard to Detriot, but still a tallented team with nothing to loose. WSU should be a straight up Revenge win from last year(fingers crossed). The one game in Nov. that catches my eye is the Irish, one should keep in mind they did finish 2nd in the Big East last year with both leading scorers shooting 45% from 3.
If they can defend the 3 this early in the season, 5-0.

cjm720
11-01-2011, 02:48 PM
5-0 and fairly easily, IMO.

duper
11-01-2011, 03:28 PM
All the games seem winnable, could lose to WSU or ND. If I had to bet I would put my money on winning all 5. If I was told we were going to lose 1 I would bet it would be WSU, their guards are pretty good and seasoned.

Baldwinzag
11-01-2011, 03:38 PM
If I had to bet I would put my money on winning all 5. If I was told we were going to lose 1 I would bet it would be WSU, their guards are pretty good and seasoned.

Couldn't agree more -- WSU's PG Reggie Moore, CG Marcus Capers, SG Faisel Aden, SG Devonte Lacy, CG Michel Ladd are all very good, complete, tough guards whom have performed admirably vs the Zags (save Top-75 recruit Lacy). Their backcourt is easily one of the Top-3 in the Pac-12, imo. Might be the best, most versatile trio of guards we face all season. Xavier has a great backcourt as well, same for St Mary's, but firmly believe WSU has the most potent group of all from Top-to-bottom.

kitzbuel
11-01-2011, 03:46 PM
???
Sorry for the incomplete thought. The Wake comment was reference his ejection and targeted at the ND game, another big home game.

NotoriousZ
11-01-2011, 04:05 PM
I think every game, besides WSU and ND, are pretty established "duhs". We're probably gonna win all those games, and in deciding fashion. In the past, WSU has given us problems and I think they return a pretty decent team this year. The Golden Domers return a pretty good team too, and it's hard to rule them out. Overall, I see us losing to one of the two, not sure which (WSU if I had to pick one) so I think we'll take 4 of the 5. First post by the way, been lurking for 2 years. Parrty.

Welcome kreese555! Although I think we'll win them all, I went with 4-1 to keep the jinx off.

RenoZag
11-03-2011, 08:03 AM
The fan in me says 5 - 0; the bettor thinks 4 - 1. . .

gu03alum
11-03-2011, 08:51 AM
I'll be disappointed if Gonzaga doesn't win all 5 of those games.

75Zag
11-03-2011, 08:55 AM
Losing to ND seems possible if not likely. WSU is predicted to suck - no to triple suck - this year as they are the lowest ranked BB program of the original Pac 10, tied with Colorado just above Utah in the new Pac 12 Media Poll. Western Michigan looks like a patsy based on their record and statistics from last year. The others are canon fodder.

I agree, hope for -0- losses in November, but I will bet there will be one loss - to ND.

Of course, all this assumes Few can set a roster and rotation quickly and that he will not need to fart around for the entire month of November trying to find his starting 5 + 2 primary bench players. If November is wasted playing an 11 player rotation, man the lifeboats.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

primal23
11-03-2011, 09:03 AM
vs EWU W
vs WSU L
WMU-Arena W
Hawaii-Vancouver W
vs Notre Dame L

Therunner
11-03-2011, 09:22 AM
We go 4-1.

Our only loss is vs WSU.

Our 2nd toughest game of the group will be Western Michigan, followed closely by Notre Dame. Both will be close wins.

WSU humbles us early on this season.

Here's why: There super athletic, long, fast, scoring trio of Guards. They have Moore at PG, Faisel Aden at SG, Marcus Capers at SF. All have performed well vs Zags and are terrific players at their respective positions. Backing them up are Top-75 player Devonte Lacy and super-transfer Michael Ladd. This will be an extremely tough match-up for our young & untested guards.

Also, Coach Bone knows us. He beat us at the Coach for Portand St AND Wash St for good reason. Ken understands we have a SIGNIFICANT advantage on the inside front court. This isn't a secret to him. He's dealt with this mis-match for the past 5 seasons.

He's a brilliant Coach and forces our bigs to spread the floor and "chase" them around the court i.e. vs PSU. Austin Daye & Josh Heytvelt spent all game running around on the perimeter while their small guards passed & passed & passed the ball until we either gave up defensively or they had an OPEN 3, which Coach Bone give the green-light vs our team and his teams seem to make double-digit 3's against us. WSU made 11 last yr and PSU made 12 when they beat us.

Coach Bone and his team will do it again. We never seem to learn. They will struggle on the boards(heck, we out-rebounded WSU last yr by 12, but they still beat us by 22). It doesn't matter much b/c their 5-guards can 'light it up' from anywhere. Faisel Aden is a natural shooter, plays a lot like Carter. Moore is lightening quick and is licking his chops vs a Stockton/Pangos point of attack, and Capers is big-time leaper, defender, and solid rebounder. Lacy was a Gary Bell Jr clone in HS and Ladd was a terrific player averaging 11ppg & 40% from 3pt for Fresno St prior to transferring to WSU.

Sacre & Elias & Dower will be neutralized by WSU's versatility and sheer depth in the backcourt. They are going to attack at will, spread the floor, pass us to death, and mine for an open shot. They have the horses in their backcourt to do it and WILL do it b/c Coach Bone has shown he has the knack to own our scheme.

Breakdown:

EWU 87 - 59 (win)
vs WSU 77 - 67 (loss by double-digits)
WMU-Arena 75 - 72 (win)
Hawaii- 80 - 68 (win)
vs Notre Dame 74 - 68 (win)

maynard g krebs
11-03-2011, 02:44 PM
Runner, where do you think WSU will finish in the Pac 12?

ZagNative
11-03-2011, 02:53 PM
Thanks, Therunner! Excellent post. Can't wait to see if it turns out you hit the nail on the head.

Zags11
11-03-2011, 04:42 PM
I went 4-1. Loss to ND if that. We beat everyone including the cougars. They will be in foul trouble early and often. We beat wsu by 10.

maynard g krebs
11-03-2011, 05:12 PM
We beat everyone including the cougars. They will be in foul trouble early and often. We beat wsu by 10.

Agree. The dynamic of that game changes w/o Casto and Thompson. I think Kenpom is about right, GU by 11, 85% chance of a win.

Reborn
11-03-2011, 05:49 PM
I just broke the tie. It was 43 all, and now those voting for 5-0 are ahead 44-43. I really don't see how Gonzaga can lose any games in those first 5. IF they do they are not as good as I think they will be. We should beat both WSU and Notre Dame at K2. Don't fans remember how tough it is for teams to beat Gonzaga in K2? Oh so you might refer to the San Diego St game last year, but at the time who knew SDS was that good. I do not think that either Notre Dame or the Cougs are in the same class as SDS.

MickMick
11-03-2011, 06:28 PM
The Zags may lose one, but at the end of it, we will be eagerly looking forward to what the future brings. I did vote 5-0 by the way. I'll easlily tolerate a loss (even two) if the foundation looks sound. I think it will.

If "Drang, Pang, and Spang" haven't won you over yet, they will by then.

BULLDOG#1
11-03-2011, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the comments runner. It's a well supported argument, and WSU could very well hand a double digit loss on the zags. The do have a core of great wing players that gave the zags fits last year.

I'm hoping it will be different this year for the following reasons:

No Klay -- he made things easier for all the other cougs
Healthy Harris -- the WSU game last year he was definately not himself.
Playing at home -- good boost for the new zags.
More mature Carter -- He shouldn't go 0-5 this year.
PG play -- I doubt this team will cough up 25 TO's, even with a frosh playing mins.
Sacre -- He'll provide some senior leadership (I'm betting payback is on his mind)

You make good comments tho, runner, and you may be right. I see it going the zags way this year... but this has been a funny rivalry. I hope the zags win this one and then the cougs put it to the rest of the pac12.

ZagsGoZags
11-03-2011, 09:53 PM
he said

Of course, all this assumes Few can set a roster and rotation quickly and that he will not need to fart around for the entire month of November trying to find his starting 5 + 2 primary bench players. If November is wasted playing an 11 player rotation, man the lifeboats.

right on

Timeout!
11-03-2011, 10:02 PM

If Coach Few feels he has a "deep" team, then 11 to 12 man rotations it will be, just see the first-half of 2011-2012 season as proof.

He can't help but "tinker" before the Conference season. Most teams do...

I don't blame him.

sittingon50
11-03-2011, 10:16 PM
here, but among all the goals the Zags have/will set, I'm pretty sure that "going undefeated" is not among them. Therefore, the early rotation may be a little longer than 7.

MickMick
11-04-2011, 04:31 AM
Go with what works. Of course to find out what works, you need a little "trial and error".

If you are fielding a good lineup with 12 kids, then go with 12 kids. Every season is different. Every roster is different. What applys to one team/season may not apply to another.

DixieZag
11-04-2011, 09:02 AM
I am surprised at how many posters are not worried about the WSU game. They ALWAYS play us tough - as for the advantage of playing at home, I believe Boone has beaten us his last two trips to K2. I don't think it matters at all that WSU is possibly the worst team in the Pac - whatever, they play us differently.

I sincerely hope that the vets remember how they were flat embarrassed last year by WSU and get that "motivation" drilled into the heads of the new guys. WSU was probably our worst effort of the season last year and if we don't show up at 100% - that will have me questioning the chemistry of the team. If we beat the Cougs, I think we will be 5-0, I think the ND game will be one of the most emotionally charged atmospheres ever at K2, hopefully setting the stage for an undefeated GU versus an undefeated Mich State.

Therunner
11-04-2011, 09:09 AM
I am surprised at how many posters are not worried about the WSU game. They ALWAYS play us tough - as for the advantage of playing at home, I believe Bone has beaten us his last two trips to K2. I don't think it matters at all that WSU is possibly the worst team in the Pac - whatever, they play us differently.

DZ, have you read through this thread?

At least half of the posts have stated, in one way or another, "The game I could see us losing is WSU".

No one appears to be taking them lightly - especially myself.

BULLDOG#1
11-04-2011, 11:09 AM
+1 runner

I think this thread does show much respect to WSU. I think WSU will be the toughest game in the month. I do think the zags will win based on the reasons I posted, but they could very easily lose this one too.

Terrifteacher
11-06-2011, 07:17 AM
I love all of the preseason speculation, but it drives me nuts. People on this board were all over Coach Few when the team was struggling in January. I don't care what the record is in November. I just want to see them show improvement over the course of the season, so that they are peaking in March!

PS I hope the fans and people on this board don't turn on them if they go 2-3 or 3-2!

WanderingZag
11-06-2011, 02:47 PM
I expect it to be 5-0; however, realistically it will be 5-0.

maynard g krebs
11-06-2011, 02:57 PM
DZ, have you read through this thread?

At least half of the posts have stated, in one way or another, "The game I could see us losing is WSU".

No one appears to be taking them lightly - especially myself.

Just watched the highlights of their game with L-C posted on Cougfan, and have to admit you're right about how good their guards look. Even without Moore/Aden. Big, athletic wings who can shoot it in Ladd, Lacy, Kernich-Drew. 11-22 on threes. They move it around the perimeter and kick it out from the post to open shooters really well. If they get the same shots against the Zags that they got on that video, you'll be proven correct. And history says there's a good chance of that happening.

HOOTER
11-30-2011, 09:12 PM
bump

gu03alum
12-01-2011, 08:42 AM
I bet all of you who didn't vote 5-0 sure feel dumb now.

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs25/f/2008/147/7/a/Butters_What_What_by_Khymera.png

bartruff1
12-01-2011, 09:14 AM
I don't...3-2 ...losses to Illinois and Xavier...are very likely..

bartruff1
12-01-2011, 09:18 AM
I don't...3-2 ...losses to Illinois and Xavier...are very likely.. Cuz I was thinking dec...at 3-2..

gu03alum
12-01-2011, 09:38 AM
Cuz I was thinking dec...at 3-2..

Reno needs to make a poll for December. Also, I disagree with 3-2, but will reveal my pick in the next poll thread.

RenoZag
01-01-2012, 10:37 AM
Any one can post a poll. . .