PDA

View Full Version : Drang and Spang

cjm720
10-31-2011, 08:56 AM
For the newcomers, I really was most interested in Dranginis and Spangler because they came from smaller high schools. Sure, Carrol College is probably closer to a 5A school in Texas than to a Top 20 D1 school (or maybe not, ha), but my point is that CC is better talent than they played on a week to week basis in high school.

And I think they passed the test and thought they were really impressive. They bring a bright future to this program.

How many minutes a game do you all think they'll get?

CDC84
10-31-2011, 09:01 AM
And K-Drang is just going to get better and better as he fills out more. He's awfully skinny still.....

awberke
10-31-2011, 09:29 AM
And K-Drang is just going to get better and better as he fills out more. He's awfully skinny still.....

I just don't understand how he's 6'5" and 175, i'm 6'0" 165 and i'm skinny.

He just doesn't look that skinny to me.

MDABE80
10-31-2011, 09:42 AM
He's not 175 lbs. Standing next to him, I'd put it closer to 195-205. Thin yes but not skinny.

hooter73
10-31-2011, 09:47 AM
For how much talk Bell and Pangos got preseason, Spangler and Drag are sure the standouts right now.

Mr Vulture
10-31-2011, 10:10 AM
I thought Pangos played a great game. Granted, GBJ was pressing a little but that doesn't mean he won't be the best of the bunch either. I did like the natural feel for rebounding/scoring around the basket that Spangler showed. Draginis was very surprising to me...I thought he'd redshirt this year but now I'm not so sure.

sittingon50
10-31-2011, 10:17 AM
Game program had Kyle at 201.

CanadianZagFan
10-31-2011, 10:23 AM
He's not 175 lbs. Standing next to him, I'd put it closer to 195-205. Thin yes but not skinny.

I have a player on the high school team I coach that is 6'5" 160 http://www.northpolehoops.com/index.php?action=show_player&pageid=c182f930a06317057d31c73bb2fedd4f
Now he is skinny, but he does not look like a bone rack, at a young age it is not a stretch to be that light and not look overly skinny. 6'5" 205 is a pretty big guy.
Rodney Stuckey of the NBA is 6'5" 205 http://media.mlive.com/pistons_impact/photo/rodney-stuckey-detroit-pistons-377bdfd074419dfd_large.jpg

ZagNative
10-31-2011, 10:36 AM
This thread needs some pics from the Carroll College game:

Dranginis goes for a baseline lay-in, but ends up charging a Carroll College defender:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-XeWWur1__IA/Tqw2mFcadAI/AAAAAAABS18/Y0zE4EIkCKs/s512/2011-10-28%252520Kyle%252520Dranginis%252520Carroll.jpg

Spangler swats a shot away:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-eVQxR2h86iE/Tqw2h4zwzYI/AAAAAAABS04/treTknaI7k4/s512/2011-10-28%252520Ryan%252520Spangler%252520Carroll-1.jpg

FieldHouseFishHouse
10-31-2011, 11:10 AM
I'm 6-6 195. No doubt in my mind that Dranginis is smaller.

maynard g krebs
10-31-2011, 11:25 AM
How many minutes a game do you all think they'll get?

Obviously you must have meant, "how much does Dranginis weigh", based on answers so far.

In case you didn't: if he doesn't redshirt, I think probably in the range of 8-10 min. a game.

I think Spangler's rebounding alone gets him 15-18, but it's hard to see who ahead of him loses minutes.

Tough calls to make on both with such a deep roster.

cjm720
10-31-2011, 11:56 AM
Obviously you must have meant, "how much does Dranginis weigh", based on answers so far.

In case you didn't: if he doesn't redshirt, I think probably in the range of 8-10 min. a game.

I think Spangler's rebounding alone gets him 15-18, but it's hard to see who ahead of him loses minutes.

Tough calls to make on both with such a deep roster.

I believe the RS year is moot, because he played in the game. The Abromitis (sp?) kid from Notre Dame just got suspended a few games for playing in an exhibition game a year or few back (coach didn't realize Exhibition games counted like that).

Part of me wants no more recruits for two years so we can see these kids play more than 7-10 mins a game...

Zagdawg
10-31-2011, 12:05 PM
A freshman can play in the exhibition game--but a sophomore can't -- I think that is why the suspension occured for the Notre Dame player.

FieldHouseFishHouse
10-31-2011, 12:08 PM
[QUOTE=cjm720;691913]I believe the RS year is moot, because he played in the game. The Abromitis (sp?) kid from Notre Dame just got suspended a few games for playing in an exhibition game a year or few back (coach didn't realize Exhibition games counted like that).

Part of me wants no more recruits for two years so we can see these kids play more than 7-10 mins a game...[/QUO

Red-shirts can play in exhibitions in their first D1 year. I think this is at least the thousandth time this has been mentioned.
Every English speaking person should look up the word "moot", just to make sure it means what they think it means.

maynard g krebs
10-31-2011, 12:15 PM
[QUOTE=cjm720;691913]
Every English speaking person should look up the word "moot", just to make sure it means what they think it means.

That's a mute point.

cjm720
10-31-2011, 12:20 PM
[QUOTE=cjm720;691913]I believe the RS year is moot, because he played in the game. The Abromitis (sp?) kid from Notre Dame just got suspended a few games for playing in an exhibition game a year or few back (coach didn't realize Exhibition games counted like that).

Part of me wants no more recruits for two years so we can see these kids play more than 7-10 mins a game...[/QUO

Red-shirts can play in exhibitions in their first D1 year. I think this is at least the thousandth time this has been mentioned.

thank you so much!!!!!!

cjm720
10-31-2011, 12:21 PM
A freshman can play in the exhibition game--but a sophomore can't -- I think that is why the suspension occured for the Notre Dame player.

Thanks, for real. Didn't know there was a distinction. Tough situation for Coach. All I know is that I saw Drang do more in a half a game than I saw Keita and MM (save the stellar 3 shooting) do most of last year.

DADoZAG
10-31-2011, 12:35 PM
...All I know is that I saw Drang do more in a half a game than I saw Keita and MM (save the stellar 3 shooting) do most of last year.

Agreed. But that doesn't mean Kyle won't red shirt. Neither do all of Few's comments about him.

I was actually hoping that Keita might red shirt, as I've posted before. It would do him a world of good. He seems like a great athlete with great energy and could really benifit from an extra year of drills to work on the mechanics of shooting.

Spang is no surprise, struck me as a stud back in July. Watch how he get's position, it's a clinic!

Go ZAGS!

awberke
10-31-2011, 12:54 PM
I think it should also be pointed out that spangler was playing against people that were sized what he's used to, all of Carrol's players were on the smaller size (their center was 6'5).

I want to see him play against some real D1 size before i proclaim him has a rebounding wizard.

I mean, he got shut down during kraziness. And mike hart swatted him.

CDC84
10-31-2011, 12:54 PM
Let's hope the NCAA renders a final decision on Guy before the season begins. They have a habit of dragging these things out. Knowing them, they'll probably reach their decision soon after Guy becomes eligible.

FieldHouseFishHouse
10-31-2011, 01:06 PM
Thanks, for real. Didn't know there was a distinction. Tough situation for Coach. All I know is that I saw Drang do more in a half a game than I saw Keita and MM (save the stellar 3 shooting) do most of last year.

Tough indeed. I can't decide if I want to see all 5 of them redshirt or none.
Olynyk, Spangler, Dranginis, Keita, even Landry (considering the suspension) could be considered for a redshirt. At the same time, any of these players could contribute this year.
Few truly had a lot to think about.

DADoZAG
10-31-2011, 01:24 PM
I think it should also be pointed out that spangler was playing against people that were sized what he's used to, all of Carrol's players were on the smaller size (their center was 6'5).

I want to see him play against some real D1 size before i proclaim him has a rebounding wizard.

I mean, he got shut down during kraziness. And mike hart swatted him.

It was pretty obvious to some of us that Ryan's legs were rubber during K in the K.

I understand your skepticism, but in July I watched him outplay Big Rob, Josh, Casey and Batista. If you’ve got last Friday's exhibition taped, just watch it again. The guy works so hard for position, no laying on the defender, no standing around watching. He works laterally first, then gets a leg positioned in front of the defender.

I’m not trying to proclaim anything, just sayin’….

Tough indeed. I can't decide if I want to see all 5 of them redshirt or none.
Olynyk, Spangler, Dranginis, Keita, even Landry (considering the suspension) could be considered for a redshirt. At the same time, any of these players could contribute this year.
Few truly had a lot to think about.

Keita can’t red shirt now, he played Friday. It was only a couple of minutes, but he played.

Go ZAGS!

zagzilla
10-31-2011, 02:13 PM
I predict Dranginis redhsirts. Keita cannot. Neither can Landry-Edi.

Kyle needs more work to get ready to play D1 defense which is where he is behind "Quise, Bell, Pangos, Keita etc... for minutes this year. Better to wait.

Spangler is a tough call. Obviously capable of contributing. Either he redshirts or Kelly does. So in a sense it's up to Kelly if Spangler wears the shirt or not.

Don't forget that all we have seen of the freshmen is a scrimmage and an exhibition game. Our next opponent, EWU, could beat Carrol by 30 and they are one of the easier OOC games we have.

ZZ

04ZagFan
10-31-2011, 02:57 PM
Those of you who think Dranginis looked better than GJB so far, well you may be right.... But come talk to me after we play the WSUs, MSUs, and Notre Dames....

Worthington
10-31-2011, 02:58 PM
Our next opponent, EWU, could beat Carrol by 30 and they are one of the easier OOC games we have.

ZZ

I agree with your sentiments, but just thought I should add that Carroll College actually beat EWU a couple seasons back in a exhibition.

FieldHouseFishHouse
10-31-2011, 03:10 PM
I predict Dranginis redhsirts. Keita cannot. Neither can Landry-Edi.

Kyle needs more work to get ready to play D1 defense which is where he is behind "Quise, Bell, Pangos, Keita etc... for minutes this year. Better to wait.

Spangler is a tough call. Obviously capable of contributing. Either he redshirts or Kelly does. So in a sense it's up to Kelly if Spangler wears the shirt or not.

Don't forget that all we have seen of the freshmen is a scrimmage and an exhibition game. Our next opponent, EWU, could beat Carrol by 30 and they are one of the easier OOC we have.

ZZ

Nice catch on Keita. However, it was my understanding that players new to the program could redshirt even if they played in the exhibition. Landry of course is in his first year as a Zag.

zag67
10-31-2011, 03:45 PM
But knowing the NCAA, they would probably force Landry to then sit out 8 games next year. So it would not buy us anything. I hope that they will reduce it to maybe 4 games.

04ZagFan
10-31-2011, 04:13 PM
You don't red shirt a JuCo transfer usually, and you aren't going to red shirt a player you don't expect much from.. So don't count on Keita or Edi being red shirted.

FieldHouseFishHouse
11-01-2011, 12:22 AM
You don't red shirt a JuCo transfer usually, and you aren't going to red shirt a player you don't expect much from.. So don't count on Keita or Edi being red shirted.

I (or as you put it, "You") wasn't making predictions. I was playing God (aka Mark Few).