PDA

View Full Version : Guy Landry out for first EIGHT games?!

Goshzagit
10-29-2011, 07:41 AM
Did I hear that correctly? Anyone else notice this being discussed during the broadcast?

Apparently, due to a certain # of games being played overseas, the NCAA is forcing Guy to sit for eight games?

Meehan...where are you on this one?

Royally sucks, if true. I was viewing him as 6th or 7th man off the bench at the Wing/SF position, especially when facing the bigger teams or when defensive pressure & rebounding is needed.

So, we won't have his services for teams such as:

-- Wash St
-- Western Michigan
-- Notre Dame
-- Illinois
-- Mich St

He'd return in time for the 'Zona game in December. He's one of the new guys and could really use the game experience and court chemistry.

Guy would really help us win some of these big game to make a case for an At-Large bid.

Who takes his spot the first eight games?

Marquise isn't guarding SF's from Mich St, Illinois, ND, even 6'7" athletic wing on WMU.

PS-- KO can kiss the RS discussions goodbye if Guy is ruled ineligible. Maybe we'll move Elias around a bit vs the big boys. Who knows...we need this kid.

tlark420
10-29-2011, 08:58 AM
say it aint so

jazzdelmar
10-29-2011, 11:47 AM
our crack team of would be journos did not know this? how can that be :(

CDC84
10-29-2011, 11:52 AM
I have heard nothing, and frankly, if it is true, I don't know why the NCAA would allow him to play in the exhibition game. The NCAA didn't allow JP Batista to play in the 2004 exhibition games versus Emporia State and LCSC.

Marquise is 6-4. Most of the teams GU will be facing have 6-3 to 6-6 small forwards. This ain't the NBA. Mich St has a 6-6 freshman. Illinois two guys who are shorter than Carter. Marquise is a very good defender. But yes, Guy is one of the better defenders in the program, and it would be useful to have him if Carter picks up a couple of cheap fouls or if Few wants to move Carter over to SG and put Guy at the 3 for a different look.

EuroZag2010
10-29-2011, 12:06 PM
Via twitter Blanchette

Gonzaga's Guy Landry Edi ruled ineligible by NCAA for 1st 8 games, due to foreign play. Ruling appealed by GU, so was OK'd for exhibition.

NEC26
10-29-2011, 12:11 PM
Looks more and more like Dranginis might not redshirt.

JPtheBeasta
10-29-2011, 12:24 PM
I'd love to know the nuances of the ruling.

MDABE80
10-29-2011, 12:36 PM
Hart will be fine. Noticed his dramatic imporement in the Summer games. Noticed it again last night. Edi would be nice and I do anticipate he will do a nice job. Hart is a wonder player. We'll be fine with him.

i

04ZagFan
10-29-2011, 01:59 PM
Hart will be fine. Noticed his dramatic imporement in the Summer games. Noticed it again last night. Edi would be nice and I do anticipate he will do a nice job. Hart is a wonder player. We'll be fine with him.

i

Mike Hart my be the smartest player we have. Great defender, plays within himself, and rarely ever makes mistakes. He's so similar to Mike Nielson in that regard. Who wouldn't want a player like that? Due to his lack of confidence offensively, and his overall lack of offense, Hart is a situational player, but a guy that can come in REALLY handy.

Radbooks
10-29-2011, 02:30 PM
From Meehan at the Spokesman:

Gonzaga junior forward Guy Landry Edi has been ruled ineligible for eight games by the NCAA, Bulldogs athletic director Mike Roth said.

Gonzaga knew during the recruiting process that Landry Edi, a transfer from Midland (Texas) College, would be ineligible, but the school was under the impression he would sit for two games, Roth said. The NCAA set the suspension at eight games after reviewing Landry Edi’s situation.

Gonzaga is appealing the decision, Roth said. “We know that it could be a maximum of eight games, but we’re appealing that and hoping for less. We knew for sure he was going to have to sit two games, based on his playing on an upper-level team in France when he was 15 or 16.”

More info at the Sportslink blog (http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2011/oct/29/landry-edi-ruled-ineligible/).

JPtheBeasta
10-29-2011, 03:33 PM
Playing on an upper level team at age 15 or 16? Seems kind of weird to be penalized for that, especially after playing JUCO ball...

Zag 77
10-29-2011, 03:44 PM
More below in a short article that will run in Sunday's S-R.

Gonzaga junior forward Guy Landry Edi has been ruled ineligible for eight games by the NCAA, Bulldogs athletic director Mike Roth said.
Gonzaga knew during the recruiting process that Landry Edi, a transfer from Midland (Texas) College, would be ineligible, but the school was under the impression he would sit for two games, Roth said. The NCAA set the suspension at eight games after reviewing Landry Edi’s situation.
Gonzaga is appealing the decision, Roth said. “We know that it could be a maximum of eight games, but we’re appealing that and hoping for less. We knew for sure he was going to have to sit two games, based on his playing on an upper-level team in France when he was 15 or 16.”
The NCAA informed Gonzaga it was fine for Landry Edi to play in Friday’s exhibition game. He scored four points and grabbed three rebounds in 16 minutes in the Bulldogs’ 95-51 win over Carroll College.
Gonzaga’s first eight games are against Eastern Washington, Washington State, Hawaii, Western Michigan, Notre Dame, Illinois, Michigan State and Oral Roberts. The Battle in Seattle, where Gonzaga faces Arizona at KeyArena, is GU’s ninth game.
The 6-foot-6, 218-pound Landry Edi averaged 16.3 points and seven rebounds during the 2011 National Junior College Athletic Association Tournament to help Midland capture the championship. Landry Edi was born in Ivory Coast and grew up in Paris, France. He is expected to be in GU’s rotation at the small forward position.
Roth hopes to learn the result of Gonzaga’s appeal soon, but added there isn’t a timeline.

Sounds like it was not a total surprise to the staff, just the length was unexpected.

ZagsGoZags
10-29-2011, 04:17 PM
Kyle might be good for the job at 6'5"
with Carter and Hart taking it also.

MM can be brought in for short periods when
the opponent has poor defense and we do not need good defense

If he has to miss all 8, I wonder if they will consider redshirting him?

If we have to do without him that long it would be a shame, because all the longer for him to get battle tested at D1 level.

bostonzagfan
10-30-2011, 08:54 AM
PLEASE red shirt kyle dranginis... between bell carter MM Landry Keita Hart and sometimes Harris (possibly) there will not be minutes for him... same issue with the fifth big, wether thats spangler or olynk. not worth using a year of eligibility for 5 mins a game when we have plenty of capable players.

RenoZag
10-30-2011, 12:44 PM
As usual, NCAA officials have tried to assert their dominion—and distract attention from the larger issues—by chasing frantically after petty violations.

kitzbuel
10-30-2011, 12:54 PM
As usual, NCAA officials have tried to assert their dominion—and distract attention from the larger issues—by chasing frantically after petty violations.
Exactly. Focusing on a kid for playing club ball in Europe a half a decade ago.

Baldwinzag
10-30-2011, 01:25 PM
Hmmm...have a feeling this "penalty" will be reduced before its all said & done. Maybe 4 games?

MDABE80
10-30-2011, 02:05 PM
Some obscure rule thought up by one guy quite some time ago. You know how it works. SOmeone has to show his value. So, he dreams up something...likely never to be enforced. He gets a star on his forehead and a raise because he did SOMETHING!!??

Balwin's likely right...2-4 games and it's over. Meanwhile this is a rule that needs GONE. Likely the NCAA doesn't remember why it's even there...grumble grumble...

NotoriousZ
10-30-2011, 02:10 PM
how long this appeal will take? Do we get an answer before the Eastern game?

Nevtelen
10-30-2011, 02:16 PM
how long this appeal will take? Do we get an answer before the Eastern game?

I have absolutely no clue, but this is the NCAA bureaucracy we're dealing with - it might be 8 games into the season by the time the team hears Landry is only suspended for 4 games.

btzag
10-30-2011, 02:16 PM
We have plenty of talented and capable players ready to step into this spot:

MM
Hart
Keita

All have some drawbacks but this is their opportunity to prove that they deserve more playing time as a primary backup off the bench. Plus we have all seen just about every newcomer struggle initially in the GU system so I expected the same out of Guy.

The idea that Dranginis would suddenly not redshirt because of this situation is crazy and not reality in my opinion.

Baldwinzag
10-30-2011, 02:33 PM
I have about as much respect & trust for the NCAA as I do this hang-nail on my pinkie toe...

Corrupt, senseless, inequitable, no accountability, monopoly, & the only entity that requires zero explanation/consequences for their actions/decisions/rulings.

There is no corporate entity I distrust more than the NCAA. I speak from personal experience, a fan, and business professional.

EuroZag2010
10-30-2011, 02:51 PM
If he had sold his memorabilia for extra benefits or recieved extra benefits it would have been less games. Probably 2-4 games shame on you NCAA

Reborn
10-30-2011, 03:21 PM
We have plenty of talented and capable players ready to step into this spot:

MM
Hart
Keita

All have some drawbacks but this is their opportunity to prove that they deserve more playing time as a primary backup off the bench. Plus we have all seen just about every newcomer struggle initially in the GU system so I expected the same out of Guy.

The idea that Dranginis would suddenly not redshirt because of this situation is crazy and not reality in my opinion.

You forgot Dranginis....this, i m o, will keep Him from red shirting. This is not the greatest news because Landry-Edi could have certainly used the playing time.

stretchlimo
10-30-2011, 04:17 PM
“...playing on an upper-level team in France...”

In 2005 (http://www.lnb.fr/fr/Pro-A/200010/Stats-Joueurs/A33707/fiche?type=1&from=2005&stat=m): two games, 10 minutes total
In 2006 (http://www.lnb.fr/fr/Pro-A/200010/Stats-Joueurs/A33707/fiche?id=A33707&stat=m&from=2006&jFrom=2005101&jTo=&typeRes=): two games, 14 minutes total

Voilà, an 8-game suspension.

See how it works?

bigblahla
10-30-2011, 04:20 PM

The idea of Dranginis and the redshirt started on this board not with Coach and staff or the player himself.

Kyle is a Few favorite and I can't see either Dranginis or Spangler red-shirting. Keita would be a better choice along with KO.

Dranginis and Spangler are going to get PT and they will earn more as the season plays out.

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

ZagNative
10-30-2011, 04:22 PM
So he received compensation for those games? I'm puzzled. I thought it was okay to play for a pro team as long as you didn't sign a contract for compensation. Think Elias Harris.

Zag@LMU
10-30-2011, 04:39 PM
The idea of Dranginis and the redshirt started on this board not with Coach and staff or the player himself.

Kyle is a Few favorite and I can't see either Dranginis or Spangler red-shirting. Keita would be a better choice along with KO.

Dranginis and Spangler are going to get PT and they will earn more as the season plays out.

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!
Except Keita played against Carroll...

stretchlimo
10-30-2011, 04:42 PM
ZN, I can’t say for sure, but I think the team Elias played on was considered amateur. True, that team played in a “pro” league (3rd division), but I believe the team itself was a mix of kids who were going to school and older guys who had other 9-to-5 type jobs.

As far as Guy being compensated, I definitely don’t know, but I can only speculate he got something above the normal room-and-board type expense that an amateur might receive. Otherwise, I don’t see why this is an issue.

Take Karnowski...he currently plays in 1st-division Poland - on a true professional team - and is apparently still eligible for the NCAAs in 2012 (from what I’ve read) because he hasn’t signed a contract.

All that said, I won’t pretend to know what the actual rules are...

bigblahla
10-30-2011, 04:47 PM
Except Keita played against Carroll...

Ding ding ding.... you are correct.

Forgot that little rule.

Go!! Zags!!!

04ZagFan
10-30-2011, 07:48 PM
Keita won't redshirt.. He also wont see much playing time in his Gonzaga career. He'll get a few minutes here and there, but that's it.

U Zig, I Zag
10-31-2011, 07:24 AM
This is about Edi, but on the RS situation: Kyle didn't look frazzled and was smooooth with the ball, something that MM certainly isn't (what's German for hot potato?) and something that Keita is working on. Someone mentioned in another thread that Keita looks disconnected at times from the game when he is on the floor. Re-watching the game again and remembering back to last year that does seem true. Though, his playing on edge was advantageous early on last year.

RE: the 8 games - what a ridiculous result to 30 mins of basketball 5 years ago. I bet they shorten it by a few games...

EuroZag2010
10-31-2011, 07:43 AM
This is about Edi, but on the RS situation: Kyle didn't look frazzled and was smooooth with the ball, something that MM certainly isn't (what's German for hot potato?) and something that Keita is working on. Someone mentioned in another thread that Keita looks disconnected at times from the game when he is on the floor. Re-watching the game again and remembering back to last year that does seem true. Though, his playing on edge was advantageous early on last year.

RE: the 8 games - what a ridiculous result to 30 mins of basketball 5 years ago. I bet they shorten it by a few games...

hot potato= heisse kartoffel

CDC84
10-31-2011, 07:59 AM
As far as Guy being compensated, I definitely don’t know, but I can only speculate he got something above the normal room-and-board type expense that an amateur might receive. Otherwise, I don’t see why this is an issue.

This has to be the issue, because the NCAA supposedly passed a resolution that makes it okay for foreign kids to play alongside pros "provided they do not accept "more than actual and necessary expenses."

U Zig, I Zag
10-31-2011, 08:06 AM

Thanks. Every time MM gets the ball and passes it right back in a panic I will yell that out in a German accent. ;)

cjm720
10-31-2011, 08:22 AM
I'd love to know the nuances of the ruling.

My thought too...fine with it. Kid has some skills, and I'd want to put coach on notice if I were him...I'm your 3 you're trying to recruit! More of a combo guard, I suppose.

Too bad about Guy...would it make sense to RS him?

willandi
10-31-2011, 10:59 AM
Don't JUCO's also play under the auspices of the NCAA? Why have they waited until now to implement this draconian punishment?
Can't redshirt, played in the exhibition!

JPtheBeasta
10-31-2011, 11:30 AM
Don't JUCO's also play under the auspices of the NCAA? Why have they waited until now to implement this draconian punishment?

That's what's weird to me. It seems like they've had 4(ish) years to figure this thing out.

maynard g krebs
10-31-2011, 11:59 AM

There's something called the NJCAA. Not sure if it's independent of the NCAA or not. If they are separate orgs, that would be an explanation.

75Zag
10-31-2011, 12:55 PM
The NCAA has no jurisdiction over junior college basketball. That's why kids who can't meet NCAA eligibility rules can go there and play. Kids coming out of JUCO ball need to apply for and meet NCAA requirements, which is why Landry is going through this.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

CaliforniaZaggin'
10-31-2011, 01:11 PM

"Hasselhoff kartoffel" is also widely accepted. ;)