PDA

View Full Version : Meehan S-R Game Story

CDC84
10-28-2011, 09:10 PM
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2011/oct/28/zags-thump-carroll-95-51/

MDABE80
10-28-2011, 11:22 PM
http://www.spokesman.com/galleries/2011/oct/28/gonzaga-vs-carroll-college-oct28/

Ryan Spangler can get up. He needs a bit more lift IMO. He'll get it over time.

ZagsGoZags
10-29-2011, 07:10 PM
This was an impressive game against Carroll IMHO because

the Jim Meehan sportswriter for Ariz would have loved to be writing about a blowout

There the Goliath was beat by David
and we have all seen GU beat by teams rated much lower than us

so let's just be glad we not only did not get upset by Carroll
we also did not just beat them

Goliath took David to the cleaners in a sportsmanlike manner

MickMick
10-29-2011, 08:03 PM
This was an impressive game against Carroll IMHO because

the Jim Meehan sportswriter for Ariz would have loved to be writing about a blowout

There the Goliath was beat by David
and we have all seen GU beat by teams rated much lower than us

so let's just be glad we not only did not get upset by Carroll
we also did not just beat them

Goliath took David to the cleaners in a sportsmanlike manner

Well put.

It reminds of the "apologizing" for Spangler's insane statistical output in high school.

"Nobody can be that good."
"He must have been playing lousy competitiion"

I always held the belief that many kids had the same opportunity and Spangler was the guy that got it done. Blake Griffin's rebounding record shouldn't typically be broken in such "ho hum" manner.

Now we have apologists for "taking Carroll to the cleaners"

"Just wait until GU plays a real team."

I'm sorry, but in my opinion, no apology is needed. Few isn't apologizing:

“They were running their stuff at a pretty advanced level,” Few said. “They have a veteran team and run that Princeton-type action. I thought we handled it pretty well.”

Heck yea they handled it well. A group of newly assembled players were taking it to a veteran, disciplined offense. So if the new Zags are not "athletic" and they are not "experienced", then please explain to me what favorable attribute was used to avoid a repeat of what Arizona endured earlier in the week.

The Zags are going to be really good. Converse to popular opinion on these boards, I think the infusion of new blood is precisely the reason why GU is going to be really good. There is a reasonable chance that 1, 2, or 3 of them may end up being considered the best players on the team when the season is concluded.

For me, the game against Carroll only reinforced that.