PDA

View Full Version : success hinges on maturation of young guards

Hoopaholic
10-28-2011, 08:39 AM
I firmly believe that the maturation process of our young group of budding star guards will be the determining factor of our success. The group will need to match last years guard group in order to allow our bigs the opportunity to flourish and dominate like they are capable of. Assists and Turnovers are the two key areas to keep an eye on

Last year our guards provided 11.18 assists per game leading our team to an overall 32nd rating for assists in the nation.

Last year our guards limited themselves to 6.35 turnovers per game.

Our Assist to Turnover was 8.28 per game average. an exceptional margin

Steals per game were 4.69

To me those are the key identifers for success. The rest would be a cherry on top of my hot fudge sundae:
Shooting percentage 45% from floor 36% from 3 point line

34.2 points per game came from the guards last year

It will be fun to watch the young guard group learn and develop but it also may lead to a few bumps along the way. As long as they keep improving we will be fine as our front line can carry the team in many categories if we limit our turnovers.

Overall Team was 23rd in scoring at 76.7 ppg
Overall Team was 10th in shooting percentage at .479%

Wow it is upon us......SWEET

CDC84
10-28-2011, 08:49 AM
3 point shooting percentage is going to be crucial. If the point and shooting guards don't hit 3 point shots, defenses will pack the middle. Gonzaga needs to make teams pay for clogging the paint.

Salsageek
10-28-2011, 09:13 AM
I would like to see better 3pt defense. All the talk of better offense is great but every time we get the the tourney we just get torched by teams having record nights shooting the 3s.

Virginia Zags Fan
10-28-2011, 09:16 AM
3 point shooting percentage is going to be crucial. If the point and shooting guards don't hit 3 point shots, defenses will pack the middle. Gonzaga needs to make teams pay for clogging the paint.

I believe this issue has been effectively dealt with.

CDC84
10-28-2011, 09:23 AM
Let's hope so.

Virginia Zags Fan
10-28-2011, 09:31 AM
I firmly believe that the maturation process of our young group of budding star guards will be the determining factor of our success. The group will need to match last years guard group in order to allow our bigs the opportunity to flourish and dominate like they are capable of. Assists and Turnovers are the two key areas to keep an eye on

Last year our guards provided 11.18 assists per game leading our team to an overall 32nd rating for assists in the nation.

Last year our guards limited themselves to 6.35 turnovers per game.

Our Assist to Turnover was 8.28 per game average. an exceptional margin

Steals per game were 4.69

To me those are the key identifers for success. The rest would be a cherry on top of my hot fudge sundae:
Shooting percentage 45% from floor 36% from 3 point line

34.2 points per game came from the guards last year

It will be fun to watch the young guard group learn and develop but it also may lead to a few bumps along the way. As long as they keep improving we will be fine as our front line can carry the team in many categories if we limit our turnovers.

Overall Team was 23rd in scoring at 76.7 ppg
Overall Team was 10th in shooting percentage at .479%

Wow it is upon us......SWEET

Good post. Great stats. Last night the Black Eyed Peas, "I gotta feeling" song, was playing at the restaurant. My thoughts immediately turned to the Zags. I remember viewing the Fresh Bunnies thread before each game last year and earnestly hoping that M. Goodson would have a good game. I was not worried about any other position. I think we have instinctively known that the key to our last two seasons was guard play. It is also the key to this season. In many ways Goodson was outstanding. However, really getting the offense to function smoothly on a consistent basis was not one of them.

This year, I just feel much more at ease. We lose S Gray, and he will be missed, but I feel we have upgraded the one spot that is the key to Mark Few's offense. I think we will see that Stocks has improved greatly and I think that Pangos may be every bit as good as Blake Stepp was for this team.

We are going to lose some games. The guard play is going to struggle at times. Our defense may not be as good at times. However, I think we will jump on teams offensively from the opening tip. The pressure is going to be on other teams to keep pace. Our D will improve as the season rolls along, but I don't think we will need to rely on it to keep us in games until the O catches up like we have the past two years.

VZF

gozagswoohoo
10-28-2011, 09:39 AM
Wow, I'm not gonna lie....when I first saw this thread title, I did a bit of a double take when I saw the title of this thread.

Good grief, what am I, like 16 or something??? haha

kitzbuel
10-28-2011, 09:52 AM
Wow, I'm not gonna lie....when I first saw this thread title, I did a bit of a double take when I saw the title of this thread.

Yer not the only one.

Hoopaholic
10-28-2011, 11:23 AM
wooohooo it was titled just to get YOUR attention

JPtheBeasta
10-28-2011, 11:27 AM
Eight-year-olds, Dude

Zag@LMU
10-28-2011, 11:32 AM

wooohooo it was titled just to get YOUR attention

Oh lawd.

http://menversus.com/images/bertstare.jpg

mgadfly
10-28-2011, 12:52 PM
I believe this issue has been effectively dealt with.

How was it dealt with? I must have missed something.

Dirt McGirt
10-28-2011, 01:03 PM
Good post. Great stats. Last night the Black Eyed Peas, "I gotta feeling" song, was playing at the restaurant. My thoughts immediately turned to the Zags.

Your thoughts should have immediately turned to trying to find two forks to stab into your ears.

CaliforniaZaggin'
10-28-2011, 03:07 PM
Our bigs need to pass better out of the double teams. Without a crisp, clean pass to the open man on the perimeter or the cutter, then we're we're not truly taking full advantage of our great frontcourt. Great post players can make other players around them better, but they've got to be able to pass the ball.

gamagin
10-28-2011, 03:31 PM
Our bigs need to pass better out of the double teams. Without a crisp, clean pass to the open man on the perimeter or the cutter, then we're we're not truly taking full advantage of our great frontcourt. Great post players can make other players around them better, but they've got to be able to pass the ball.

I'm more interested in the level of improvement among our vets. Plus leadership. Real leadership, not the little dance prior to the game.

The take charge, gimme the ball and get out of the way part during the game. that is where our success, and our season, hinges, imo.

CaliforniaZaggin'
10-28-2011, 03:40 PM
I'm more interested in the level of improvement among our vets. Plus leadership. Real leadership, not the little dance prior to the game.

The take charge, gimme the ball and get out of the way part during the game. that is where our success, and our season, hinges, imo.

Good points. I feel confident this will be Rob's team, both in the locker room and on the court. But sometimes it's hard to get the ball to a big man on the block at the end of the game, especially when everyone in the gym knows that's what you want to do. At some point, MC, Kevin, and Gary will be called upon to hit big shots near the end of games. Can't wait to see how they respond.