PDA

View Full Version : Helena Paper Game Preview

Angelo Roncalli
10-28-2011, 07:35 AM
http://helenair.com/sports/college/carroll-college/basketball/mens/saints-men-s-hoops-ready-for-exhibition-at-gonzaga/article_dbf78276-012c-11e1-b623-001cc4c002e0.html

RenoZag
10-28-2011, 07:42 AM
The Saints topped the Blue Angels 95-81 in exhibition action a week ago in a game where they shot 50 percent from the field, 56 percent from 3-point range. Veltri said those offensive numbers were encouraging, since improving shooting accuracy was a main goal going into the 2011 campaign.

No time like the present to test out the three point FG defense. . .

Zagdawg
10-28-2011, 07:42 AM
Good bit of practice for the guys in guarding the 3 from their game last week--they shot "56 percent from 3-point range".

I like the tone of the article -- come in with some confidence.

ldszagfan
10-28-2011, 07:46 AM
They seem a bit overly confident...

omahazag
10-28-2011, 07:51 AM
They seem a bit overly confident...

I got a chuckle out of the coach saying "..we match up athletically"

Good for Carrol and their players - what an experience.

bartruff1
10-28-2011, 07:53 AM
This might be very interesting...

zagfan07
10-28-2011, 08:00 AM
If we can get Rob enough touches, there's no reason why he shouldn't score 20+ tonight. His primary defender is 6'5". That little baby hook over his left shoulder is going to be unstoppable.

It'll be an interesting game if we let them shoot it from the outside, though. I'm interested to see how the newcomers (Pangos, Bell, Guy) play perimeter defense.

northsidezagfan
10-28-2011, 08:08 AM
I got a chuckle out of the coach saying "..we match up athletically"

Good for Carrol and their players - what an experience.
They do have some good athletes on the perimeter. Diouf is more athletic than Carter and neither of our point guards are overly athletic. Bell might cause some problems for them though. Not saying they are better players by any means, but athletically they do match up.

hooter73
10-28-2011, 09:31 AM
It'll be a good opening game for us but Ive got to say those3 pt % numbers might not be as high in front of our lights and our fans.

Either way I guess we'll know tonight if guarding the three is back in our program or not.

primal23
10-28-2011, 09:32 AM
No time like the present to test out the three point FG defense. . .

If there is any 3 pt D :vomit-smiley-007:

MDABE80
10-28-2011, 09:37 AM
Sounds like Carroll is taking this game pretty seriously....hope we do too.
As far as 3 pt defense goes, we have the talent to chase down anybody out in 3 range and defend them very well.

Baldwinzag
10-28-2011, 09:42 AM
Good on them -- they are expecting an upset. That's good coaching by Veltri.

Winners expect to win. You must believe it can happen for it to happen.

Their players are excited and rightfully so...their starting PG averaged 31 ppg for a small HS in Everett, WA and their SF was the Montana POY, not to mention they have 3 other D1 transfers on the team. While there is really no physically possible way they can contain our interior, they should provide a nice challenge to our backcourt, which is needed above all else.

They hit 17/30 from 3pt last game. I don't care who you're playing or just a team shooting in the gym, that is impressive.

Should be a fun game to watch.

Norcalzag
10-28-2011, 09:55 AM
It's good to see Carroll coming into this game with confidence. And while I think the Zags should get a relatively easy win nobody should forget what happened just last night in Tucson, where Andy Poling and Seattle Pacific upset Arizona, one of this year's Pac-12 favorites, in an exhibition game.

omahazag
10-28-2011, 09:56 AM
They do have some good athletes on the perimeter. Diouf is more athletic than Carter and neither of our point guards are overly athletic. Bell might cause some problems for them though. Not saying they are better players by any means, but athletically they do match up.

I'm sure Carrol does have some good athletes, but if they match up athletically with Gonzaga, then its going to be a long year for our Zags (and this Board). Find out tonight.

Zag@LMU
10-28-2011, 11:09 AM
They have some good points and the right attitude (nothing to lose), but I have a feeling reality will hit hard tonight for them.

hooter73
10-28-2011, 11:23 AM
Re: Rob

His primary defender is 6'5".

So are we going to take bets on how many blocks Rob gets tonight before they stop even looking to pass the ball inside?

hondo
10-28-2011, 12:25 PM
If Rob is still bringing the ball down the 6'5" guy will have the advantage.

northsidezagfan
10-28-2011, 12:34 PM
He'll take Rob out to the perimeter too. He's a good shooter.

Zag@LMU
10-28-2011, 12:40 PM
He'll take Rob out to the perimeter too. He's a good shooter.

Maybe we will see a 3-2 zone?

HOOTER
10-28-2011, 12:48 PM
If we can get Rob enough touches, there's no reason why he shouldn't score 20+ tonight. His primary defender is 6'5". That little baby hook over his left shoulder is going to be unstoppable.

I'm looking forward to seeing that mid-range shot he's been working on.

Baldwinzag
10-28-2011, 12:50 PM
Maybe we will see a 3-2 zone?

Yes or at least a version of it.

My guess is Carroll College won't even put a player in the low-block on offense. Most likely they spread the half-court with a 2-1-2 offense. Essentially, putting your 3 & 4 man in the corners, your tallest post player at the FT line, and your 1 and 2 guards spread along the perimeter. This way, they will force our bigs to extend themselves on defense and open up the floor for open 3's. They swing the ball to and from the corners until the defense opens up for a shot or they can get the ball in the middle and allow their guard to cut to the hoop or kick out to the corner forwards. Most small teams love to run this offense. We'll see...I presume Coach Few will try man-to-man for most of the game, but could be forced to push an extended zone if our bigs can't guard their dynamic forwards one-on-one.

DixieZag
10-28-2011, 01:13 PM
Just read the article - sounds like they will be a very good NAIA team and I really liked the comments from their coach and players. The "nothing to lose" approach is exactly the one to take. They are going to be having fun just playing a team that has been in the tournament so many times and has been a tough opponent for even the best teams.

And, as some have pointed out, there are no guarantees in life, just because the Zags show up does not mean the scoreboard will show more Zag points in the end, we have all heard the horror stories of Kentucky, Syracuse and Arizona.

I am glad that we have scheduled a team that will expects to win their conference and be tough all year - they probably play smart ball and will play their hearts out. Go Zags, compete and work together. It will be fun to see the new team.