PDA

View Full Version : HuffPost Piece on Foreign Players

Angelo Roncalli
10-27-2011, 08:24 AM
Gonzaga is ranked in the preseason top 25 and is the favorite to win the West Coast Conference title. The Bulldogs have seven international players on their roster. Elias Harris (6'7, Jr., Germany) and Robert Sacre (7'0, Sr., Canada) lead the way. Harris battled through some injuries last season but finished strongly (12.4, 6.0). He should come into his own this season. Sacre (12.5, 6.3) has improved throughout his college career and will form a formidable frontcourt with Harris. Kelly Olynyk (7'0, Soph., Canada) impressed us last year at the U18 Championships. He played well at times last season (5.8, 3.8) but has the size and offensive skill to give the Zags a solid contribution. Olynyk can score inside and out and has grown some over the past year. Freshman Kevin Pangos (6'1, Canada) will get time at the point this season and is Gonzaga's point guard of the future. Pangos has started at all the major international championships for the Canadian national team and brings that experience to Spokane. Other international Zags who will contribute this season include 6'5 G Mathis Keita (France), 6'7 F Mathis Monnighoff (Germany) and junior college transfer 6'6 F Guy Landry Edi (Ivory Coast).

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/carl-berman/college-basketball-international-players_b_1033912.html

Angelo Roncalli
10-27-2011, 08:27 AM
11 straight conference championships. 14 twenty-plus win seasons in a row. 13 consecutive trips to the NCAA Tournament. It will be business as usual for the Gonzaga Bulldogs as they should remain the kings of the West Coast Conference even with the arrival of BYU. Unlike recent years though, the Zags will rely on their veteran frontcourt as they go through some transition at guard.

http://www.thesportsbank.net/college-bball/17-gonzaga-bulldogs-college-basketball-111-in-111/

Baldwinzag
10-27-2011, 08:37 AM
7 International players.

11 straight conference championships.

13 consecutive trips to the NCAA Tournament.

14 twenty-plus win seasons in a row.

Love this!

Any more numbers worth mentioning? I know Gozags has got something to add here...

Kiddwell
10-27-2011, 09:02 AM
Kiddwell suspects we'll still have seven international players next year, with Big Rob graduating to the NBA (hopefully), Elias Harris returning (hopefully), and the Polish kid Karnowski coming aboard (hopefully).

Re: Karnowski--Kiddwell likes that we've had at least one seven-footer in the fold since Heyvelt (sort of, he was 6'11"). If the Zags do get Karnowski, this fan thinks that five years under the tutelage of Few & Co (assuming a redshirt year) will turn out a very competent big man for his junior and senior campaigns.

One fan's three and-a-half cents' worth

:]

75Zag
10-27-2011, 09:04 AM
Are there any bored and unemployed math majors out there who can figure out the historical correlation between # of foreign players on a NCAA basketball team and the likelihood of that team appearing in the Final Four? My gut is that the number of international players on a team is inversely proportional to the chances of appearing in the FF, but my gut is frequently very, very wrong.

And who knew the Huffington Post had a sports section? I didn't.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

U Zig, I Zag
10-27-2011, 10:34 AM
Are there any bored and unemployed math majors out there who can figure out the historical correlation between # of foreign players on a NCAA basketball team and the likelihood of that team appearing in the Final Four? My gut is that the number of international players on a team is inversely proportional to the chances of appearing in the FF, but my gut is frequently very, very wrong.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

I tend to agree - I bet the correlation is NOT in favor of a FF.

But, getting 'better' international players (and several on a team) is a new phenomenon, one GU seems to be leading the game in - so you have to start somewhere.

Zagcity
10-27-2011, 12:21 PM

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

Who knew the Huffington Post would have anything worth saying! :clap:

Go! Zags!

MDABE80
10-27-2011, 12:33 PM
I'd save the position of a BIG untill we find an athletic, mobile 6 8 or 6 9 kid. I just don't think a 7 footer non athletic kid is what we don't need. We need someone like Cory Violette or JP.
Just so the kid can run, jump and rebound. Rob is unique 7 footer with skills. His rebounding has been average. This year though, his fourth, he sould explode onto the scene that mostly has ignored everything but his size and his "story".

Love to see the coaches find a terrific athlete who can do the job.

HillBillyZag
10-27-2011, 12:45 PM
Few just sstated on the WCC Coaches show that Spangler is a Cory Violette type player.If so we will see a lot of him even as a Frosh.