PDA

View Full Version : Boise State to the Big West

Angelo Roncalli
10-26-2011, 07:08 PM
BSU is looking for a place for its other sports to land if/when football moves to a BCS conference. They're talking to the Big West.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7153316/boise-state-bronocs-discussing-move-big-west-conference-non-football-teams

Leon signed on to coach in the WAC, then moved up to the Mtn. West, now it looks like he may be coaching a conference that ranks below the "old" WAC. Talk about a roller coaster ride...

Malastein
10-26-2011, 07:33 PM
I actually don't understand why the Big 12 isn't looking to them. It's geographically reasonable, and I'd think help open up recruiting doors to California for the rest of the conference.

04ZagFan
10-26-2011, 09:23 PM
Poor Boise State. Their football program is as good as it gets, and I really hope they can find a great conference that will give their football team a chance to play for a national championship. They deserve it. Agree with Malastein, I don't understand why the Big 12 isn't looking to them either... Then again, I would have put BSU and Gonzaga in the PAC 10 years ago if I had the chance to, so I guess I don't understand conference realignment.

SWZag
10-27-2011, 02:59 AM
I just think this whole conference realignment has gotten out of hand. I think it's ridiculous to have a schools sports teams in multiple leagues. Before you know it, there'll be "super" basketball, baseball, golf, etc. The more people try to make things "better" the more harm they do.

SWZag

Birddog
10-27-2011, 03:50 AM
Back in the "old days", conference alignments were set up so that member schools were within driving distance for fans to away games. It was also desireable to have a traveling partner. the PAC was always an exception simply because of sparse population, but at least the North and South halves could easily enough drive to their respective games and they were partnered. other factors also went into the alignments like the University's academic stature, research volume etc.

The traveling distance is still a desireable, but these new alignments are killing it slowly. Boise in the Big 12 is pretty ludicrous IMO and there is no handy partner, but then WVU isn't much better. The old WAC fell apart when it went to 16 teams because of travel among other reasons. Hawaii has always fought the travel battle.

I'm a traditionalist, I wish it was like it was. Colorado and it's woeful athletic program in the PAC is pretty laughable. At least in the Big12 they wouldn't have to spend so much money on travel to go get their butts kicked. Mizzou has always had some pretensions of grandeur and always wanted in the Big 10, now it looks like they'll join with the confederacy. Good luck to them, they're gonna feel some pain. A&M might wish they hadn't been so quick to react too, they only thought losing to Texas was a big deal, now they get to play LSU and Bama on a regular basis. At least once in awhile they had bragging rights over the Longhorns, but now that's bye bye too.

Martin Centre Mad Man
10-27-2011, 05:14 AM
I actually don't understand why the Big 12 isn't looking to them. It's geographically reasonable, and I'd think help open up recruiting doors to California for the rest of the conference.

If I was the Big 12 commissioner, I would have already offered membership to Boise St, and BYU as well as TCU to replace the three members that left. Those are the three best non-BCS league teams in the western U.S. It just makes sense to grab them before the league implodes. If you add BYU and Boise, you get a natural traveling partner for each.

Birddog
10-27-2011, 05:50 AM
If I was the Big 12 commissioner, I would have already offered membership to Boise St, and BYU as well as TCU to replace the three members that left
There is a major problem, the Big 12 threw out their commish and replaced him with a very capable "interim" commish but the various presidents are trying to micro-manage all this. OU's David Boren is one of the major meddlers in all this mess and then of course there is Texas. Until the Big 12 throws out the individual TV rights and has equal shares in revenue, they'll have problems. ESPN is a big part of the problem with their backing of the UT Network. They already are having trouble with content. The Big 12 is very dysfunctional right now.

VinnyZag
10-27-2011, 06:38 AM
You folks who want Boise in the Big 12 are thinking about what makes geographic and competitive sense. But that doesn't matter in this realignment. It seems the only thing that matters is television market, and Boise isn't a big enough one to bother with.

U Zig, I Zag
10-27-2011, 08:19 AM
You folks who want Boise in the Big 12 are thinking about what makes geographic and competitive sense. But that doesn't matter in this realignment. It seems the only thing that matters is television market, and Boise isn't a big enough one to bother with.

Yah, but ESPN does well showing the BSU games. They are exciting and people tune in and root for them. So the local draw may not be big (well it's big by % of people who care, but it's a small population) the national draw seems to be there as well. They are sort of the underdogs and people like that.

04ZagFan
10-27-2011, 08:22 AM

Unfortunately, you are right.

Martin Centre Mad Man
10-27-2011, 09:14 AM

You could say the same thing about Gonzaga, but Gonzaga basketball draws pretty good ratings despite being from a smaller market. Good games between competitive programs draw ratings. I'd wager that national ratings for games between Oklahoma and Boise State would be far better than national ratings for games between Oklahoma and Kansas.

Birddog
10-27-2011, 09:27 AM
I'd wager that national ratings for games between Oklahoma and Boise State would be far better than national ratings for games between Oklahoma and Kansas.

It's not about particular games, its about TV sets in a given market. When Kansas St plays Boise St there just aren't a lot of sets tuned in. Boise is a small TV market. I guess the same can be said about Morgantown, and maybe that's why WVU's inclusion is on hold while the Big12 courts Louisville.

The conference realignment is a mess, esp for the Big 12 and the Big East. Almost all the problems the Big 12 are having can be laid at the feet of Texas and ESPN and their appetite for more $$.