PDA

View Full Version : WCC Cross Country Championship Broadcast

Angelo Roncalli
10-25-2011, 05:18 PM
Nice work by the WCC:

http://www.wccsports.com/sports/c-xc/spec-rel/102511aab.html

former1dog
10-29-2011, 11:01 AM
According to WCC Twitter, GU men finish 6th. Women finish 5th.

BYU ends UP's 32 year conference championship streak, which is the big story. Course records set for both men and women.

GU men are likely disappointed, but our conference is tougher than it has ever been. As best I can tell with out full results it looks like 3 to 6 place teams were very bunched up.

Edit #2: looks like lone senior Andrew Walker had a poor outing, although honestly his best effort would not have likely improved our placing. I feel for the guy as similarly had a poor WCC meet when I was a senior, finishing 9th. Different era though and my 9th place effort many moons ago would have placed me way down in the pack against the modern WCC.
Edit: Official results up, only 21 points separate 3 from 6, a very small margin by XC standards.

ehk 21
10-31-2011, 06:50 AM
I guess the men's 6th place result shows that the so-called victory over Oregon was a bit of a mirage. I think Coach Tyson is great, but you really shouldn't hype a victory over what was definitely Oregon's B team (as only one Duck from that B team actually ran in the Pac 12 championships). I said after that meet that the real indicator of the Zags' progress would be at the WCC meet. Yes, the conference is improved, but 6th place after three years of the Tyson era isn't a sterling result. Let's hope that the folks on the blog who have been posting that the GU administration is willing to start funding the program are correct because that's the only way Coach Tyson will be able to make any headway. You can't make any progress in the WCC without any scholarship resources.

former1dog
10-31-2011, 12:59 PM
EHK 21,

I'm going to have to disagree with you, Gonzaga has improved A LOT under Tyson. The WCC schools haven't been standing still waiting for GU to get better, they all have improved greatly as well.

Here's some number's to chew on.

In 2008, the cumulative average team time of conference champion Portland was 26:20 and that same year GU's team time was 27:32.

This year, BYU came in with an average time of 24:07. Keep in mind the course record was 24:20(!!) before the gun sounded on Saturday morning. Gonzaga's team time was 25:52. That's an improvement of 1:40 or approximately 20 sec per mile since Tyson has taken the reins.

Of course, there are the what if's of this year as well. Like What if Walker had a good race and Chris Boyle was competing this year.

In that scenario, I say Boyle was capable of a 15th place finish and Walker a 20th place finish and all of sudden we score 113 points and that puts us in 3rd place behind 2 national power houses.