What's up for 2012?

EuroZag2010
10-25-2011, 04:46 PM
Looks pretty slim. Hopefully zags can get that polish kid I guess

MickMick
10-25-2011, 04:48 PM
Per Josh Gershon's tweet.

What's up for 2012?

2012 would ride the pine unless he was top 50.

Not joking.

Coaches along the West Coast know it. Hence, players along the West Coast know it.

Edit: Not saying that a kid that would accept the role won't take it.

810Suited
10-25-2011, 05:31 PM
The Italian kid at Findlay Prep intrigues me. 2012 looks bleak the lack of momentum is disappointing to me after such a stellar class

hooter73
10-25-2011, 06:29 PM
Good for St. Mary's and Reyes. They should be a good fit and work well together.

Baldwinzag
10-25-2011, 07:10 PM
The Italian kid at Findlay Prep intrigues me.

Me too. Really liked what I saw from his videos...

siliconzag
10-25-2011, 07:23 PM
The Italian kid at Findlay Prep intrigues me. 2012 looks bleak the lack of momentum is disappointing to me after such a stellar class

Amedeo Della Valle
Amedeo from the Valley

He is from Peidmont. Spokane would remind him of home. Cool winters. I forget are there any truffles in the woods on Mount Spokane? Anyway he would be a great get from some of the tapes I've seen. He has a nose for the ball, and is kind of a garbage man. Reminds me a bit of Tom Workman, ony a better shooter. I think the Zags would be pretty lucky to get this lad. Apparently Cal and Arizona are all over him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DUMIcjlfkU

BTW, he might not pronounce Gonzaga the way you dudes think he should.

Sili

CDC84
10-25-2011, 07:45 PM
I wouldn't take anyone in the 2012 class. Save the schoolies. I'd like to see 2013's Zach Lavine be GU's next commitment.

willandi
10-25-2011, 08:43 PM
Amedeo Della Valle
Amedeo from the Valley

He is from Peidmont. Spokane would remind him of home. Cool winters. I forget are there any truffles in the woods on Mount Spokane? Anyway he would be a great get from some of the tapes I've seen. He has a nose for the ball, and is kind of a garbage man. Reminds me a bit of Tom Workman, ony a better shooter. I think the Zags would be pretty lucky to get this lad. Apparently Cal and Arizona are all over him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DUMIcjlfkU

BTW, he might not pronounce Gonzaga the way you dudes think he should.

Sili

Would he prefer the Raspberry Truffles or the Milk Chocolate ones? I'm sure it can be arranged!

ZagNative
10-25-2011, 10:31 PM
I wonder if we're out of the mix for Michael Carrera and/or Kevin Larsen out of Montrose Christian, which is ranked #4 on the ESPN Fab 50. Those two guys looked intriguing to me. Carrera is out of Venezuela and Larsen is from Denmark. Both were reportedly offered by Gonzaga and Virginia Tech.

TheGonzagaFactor
10-26-2011, 01:57 AM
2012 would ride the pine unless he was top 50.

Not joking.

Coaches along the West Coast know it. Hence, players along the West Coast know it.

Totally agree.

DCZag
10-26-2011, 05:21 AM
I, too, have been underwhelmed with 2012. But looking at the roster, it's hard to find minutes for all the talent we have, let alone selling the prospect of a redshirt or pine time to a high level recruit. I'm thinking standing pat may be in our best interests at this point - maybe the polish kid, but who knows?

DADoZAG
10-26-2011, 05:37 AM
There is another….

Hey BZ, try it again.

Go ZAGS!

gu03alum
10-26-2011, 06:24 AM
I disagree with the idea of standing pat. Gonzaga needs to accumulate as much talent as possible and let it shake itself out. If someone doesn't live up to expectation they need someone to come in to take their place. I don't think the big schools say, let's stand pat with the next class because we have too much talent with the previous class.

cjm720
10-26-2011, 06:38 AM
Nice get by St. Mary's...

ZN, haven't seen/heard anything on Carrera....really like him, would be a fabulous signing.

zag67
10-26-2011, 07:06 AM
GU03, I think in the beginning that is what the coaches were doing. But I am not sure that right now they can see at what position that a new player would come in and really be able to play many minutes.

The point guard looks solid with Pangos/Stockton/Sarbaugh. SG looks solid with Gary Bell/Dranginis. SF looks "fairly" solid with Landry/MM/MK/Hart. The bigs look good for another year with KO/Dower/Spangler/(and maybe Harris). That looks like 13 or 14 players that are going to have multiple years of experience with our system. I would rather keep them rather than try and getting an unknown that may disrupt the mix and get us back into the postion of having many players leaving. I think that we have a great mix right now and just have to allow them to work together and mold into a team.

I think that next year looks like a very solid year and if I were a recruit I am not sure I would see where I would get very many minutes for a few years. I also would wait for 2013 or someone that has potential that would be redshirting for a year.

BroncoZAG615
10-26-2011, 08:03 AM
The staff did a ton of due diligence over the summer with regards to 2012. Recruiting slowed down due to the staff's realization that they should/can redshirt Kelly (or Spangler). Staggering the current stable of big men is what the program really needs.

For as much as I really liked guys like Skylar Spencer and Richard Longrus as swing forwards, there is a reason why they didn't 'blow up' over the summer like many expected them to. Losing out on Demarquise hurts because he really is an instant impact wing but I'm content with 2012 being limited. In the end, I still expect the Polish kid Karnowski to wind up at Gonzaga.

People saying Gonzaga should accumulate talent for the sake of accumulating talent like the big programs have a distorted view of the program. Gonzaga isn't going to gobble up a bunch of five star recruits on a whim. Those kids are still going to the Kentucky's, Carolina's, and Duke's of the world. The Zags must be strategic and when they try to gobble up talent, stuff like the 2008 class happens.

BobZag
10-26-2011, 09:08 AM
There is another….

Hey BZ, try it again.

Go ZAGS!

The Force is strong in Casper.

Baldwinzag
10-26-2011, 09:22 AM

Yee-ha!
http://www.nnerpartnerships.org/communications/announcements/wyoming_cowboy.gif

NEC26
10-26-2011, 09:38 AM
Casper Wyoming? I had to work there for three months this year can't imagine a D1 talent coming out of a small town like that. 55 thousand people at most.

Baldwinzag
10-26-2011, 09:44 AM
Casper Wyoming? I had to work there for three months this year can't imagine a D1 talent coming out of a small town like that. 55 thousand people at most.

Alex Hernandez hailed from Casper College...maybe there is another?

Snagglezag
10-26-2011, 09:45 AM
Curry? Yes, please.

Baldwinzag
10-26-2011, 09:49 AM
Curry? Yes, please.

"Coach Joel Davidson says this about Darrious, “We are extremely happy and lucky to have a player of Darrious’s caliber joining our program. He is a very gifted athlete, shooter, and scorer.” Currently, Darrious is being targeted by several outstanding Division I universities such as, Oregon State, Texas, Gonzaga, Kansas, Auburn, Southern Mississippi, and Nebraska."

NEC26
10-26-2011, 09:55 AM
Alex Hernandez hailed from Casper College...maybe there is another?

I was thinking high school. JC makes more sense to me now.

DCZag
10-26-2011, 09:56 AM
I'm more apt to believe that a JC recruit may be who we are after....interesting

DADoZAG
10-26-2011, 10:16 AM

One of MOMoZAG's favorite sayings, "If you want to know everything, you better pay attention." (http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?p=690077&highlight=good+hear#post690077)

Go ZAGS!

roxdoc
10-26-2011, 11:40 AM
Let me guess - we have our eye on a 6' 2"" guard?

23dpg
10-26-2011, 11:45 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=5167335

thespywhozaggedme
10-26-2011, 12:09 PM
Let me guess - we have our eye on a 6' 2"" guard?

Looks like 6'7 sf.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=5167335

cggonzaga
10-26-2011, 12:21 PM
I disagree with the idea of standing pat. Gonzaga needs to accumulate as much talent as possible and let it shake itself out. If someone doesn't live up to expectation they need someone to come in to take their place. I don't think the big schools say, let's stand pat with the next class because we have too much talent with the previous class.

Agreed. It's not so much that we need impact players for 2012 but maybe high potential guys for 2013 that would be ready to step in and play at that point. We will lose Carter, Landry, Harris, Sacre, Hart and maybe a transfer or 2 before then. That leaves 10 guys or less going into 2013 not counting incoming freshmen. It means that guys like Dranginis, Sarbaugh, Spangler, Keita, Monninghoff would have to develop (and not transfer) into solid players or we'd have to depend on 4-5 incoming freshmen. I'm a believer in adding depth all the time.

I do agree with those however that we don't want to add depth just to add depth. We need guys with "potential" not guys that have already peaked.

zag buddy
10-27-2011, 10:37 AM
1 Damien power forward Chris Reyes committed to St. Mary's on Monday, according to rivals.com