PDA

View Full Version : Carroll College

northsidezagfan
10-24-2011, 08:35 PM
I'm tired of studying genetic diseases so I thought I'd give a few thoughts on this week's opponent who also happens to be my alma mater (2011 grad). The Saints are traditionally one of the stronger teams in the Frontier Conference that also features LC State who the Zags played last year. (Fun fact David Stockton's older brother Michael played in the conference for Westminster and was all-conference last year). Last season the Saints made a trip to the NAIA national tournament where they won a game and dropped another. They graduated some talent but return several of their best players.
Link to the roster/web site:
http://www.carroll.edu/athletics/mensbb/
Senior wing Andy Garland is easily Carroll's best player. He is 6'5, led the team with 18.3 ppg and 7.8 rpg last year, shoots 37% from 3 and 85% from the line. He scored 19 in Carroll's exhibition game last week, and can really score from all over the court. He was 1st team all-conference, has been conference POY, and has made an AA team in each of his 1st 3 years (2nd team last year). He is not overly athletic, which cost him some higher division looks but is very skilled. I obviously haven't seen him play much against D1 competition, although it should be noted that 2 years ago the Saints beat EWU in Cheney.
Byago Diouf transferred in last year and started at guard. He is a high-caliber athlete and can shoot from outside, although rather streaky. He was also first team all-conference and the defensive POY. Look for him to match up with Bell or Carter at the 2 spot and play with tons of energy. He scored 9.3 ppg and had 6.3 rpg last year. Definitely one of the fan favorites in Helena.
Look for Sophomore guard Ben Cutler, who is also a standout on the track team, and junior transfer Jordan Weirick from Southern Utah to make significant contributions. I don't know much about Weirick but he scored 19 in the exhibition which was aginst a traveling team of former college players. Cutler is a great athlete and shoots well. The Saints as a team shot 17-30 the other night and obviously are not gun shy.
As far as post play goes, Carroll tops out at 6'8 with senior Chase Godecke who is skilled and can step out and hit the 3 as well. Two Brazilian players who are new and I don't know much about are also listed at 6'8, although only one of them played in the exhibition game. Carroll started a very small lineup with Garland and 6'6 Tony Dalton starting in the post and Diouf (6'3), Weirick (6'4) and 6'2 Chris McGrath in the backcourt. Should be a field day for Rob and co.
The Saints play very hard, scrap for loose balls, are tough on defense, and just play good team ball. With that being said, Gonzaga overmatches them at every position. But I guess this is to be expected. It will be a good chance for us to see the young guys get some good minutes, as well as a good tune-up for the vets. I can't wait. Go Zags.

Kiddwell
10-24-2011, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the preview, northside. Wish this game was being televised. I wonder whether it's illegal to record the game on an iPhone then put the video on YouTube. :)

:]

Baldwinzag
10-24-2011, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the report, Northside.

Terrific write-up on Carroll College. Excited to be playing such a quality NAIA opponent.

They are an outstanding perimeter shooting team(17/30 3pt last game), so this game should provide a solid barometer test for our defense.

I find it intriguing they have been victorious vs 2 D1 teams during exhibition contests in the past 3 years...they beat Idaho State last season, barely lost to Southern Utah the year before, and whooped up on Eastern Washington two seasons ago.

Under their new Coach, they are just a couple points shy from being 3 for 3 vs Division 1 schools.

In addition, they feature 3 D1 transfers on their roster and reigning Champions of the Frontier Conference. They have won 25+ games in 7 of the last 10 years.

Should provide a nice early test for our guys, especially the Frosh. CC is a much better team than your typical 'exhibition' opponent.

bartruff1
10-25-2011, 04:17 AM
Thanks for the preview, northside. Wish this game was being televised. I wonder whether it's illegal to record the game on an iPhone then put the video on YouTube. :)

:] I have it noted as being televised on KHQ...

Zag Man
10-25-2011, 07:15 AM
I have it noted as being televised on KHQ...

For those of us not in the northwest, can anyone tell us if this game will be available online. If it is, does anyone have a url to the game?

Thanks a bunch in advance!

Virginia Zags Fan
10-25-2011, 01:33 PM
I second this request!

Thanks,
VZF

rennis
10-25-2011, 02:01 PM
Carroll College should put George Eddie Birrer at point and give themselves a shot at this game.