PDA

View Full Version : How many current Zags...

Malastein
10-24-2011, 05:32 PM
would have started on other Gonzaga's teams during the streak? Let's limit this to how good you think the players are this season, so we're not going too far beyond and speculating on who they might become. The biggest question still remains the guards, and opinions will certainly change on this answer throughout the season. I'm not sure there's a single player who would have definitively started on every team during the streak. Maybe Sacre?

jazzdelmar
10-24-2011, 05:53 PM
would have started on other Gonzaga's teams during the streak? Let's limit this to how good you think the players are this season, so we're not going too far beyond and speculating on who they might become. The biggest question still remains the guards, and opinions will certainly change on this answer throughout the season. I'm not sure there's a single player who would have definitively started on every team during the streak. Maybe Sacre?

not over jp or ronny or casey...maybe alongside.....over cory prob.....and josh? harris wd seem the best chance but over who? great question.

ZagMan in Philly
10-24-2011, 06:19 PM
Yes, Sacre. His free throw shooting has been so good. Here hoping he will have a monster year.
And Harris, especially if he can get his mojo back. I think he will.

bartruff1
10-24-2011, 07:15 PM
Take a look at JP's stats....as to FT's, I believe he was over 80%.. the guy was MONEY...Harris starts on every team but one...and maybe on that team..

soccerdud
10-24-2011, 09:33 PM
i don't have an answer.

that being said, i was REALLY hoping the body of your post would be: "does it take to screw in a lightbulb?"

son, i am disappoint.

Baldwinzag
10-24-2011, 09:44 PM
I firmly believe Harris is too versatile, electrifying, and dynamic of a player to keep off any past or present team. He would start for any team in the Country, imho. Yes, that includes a Kentucky or UNC. He's on the Wooden, Naismith, All-American, NBA draft pick radars for a reason, folks. While he's a 'tweener', he's extremely talented.

For instance, he's started every game since he stepped foot on campus, currently holds several Gonzaga Frosh records, and has been the only player who has consistently performed in the NCAA's vs elite competition.

He would have started for any team of old.

I am mildly concerned about his hamstring injury -- hopefully its just a strain and nothing more. Those things can last for entire seasons...

UberZagFan
10-24-2011, 10:23 PM
There a several players that could have possibly started in any given year in the last ten but Harris is the only one that may have been a starter on all. He probably would have had a hard time crackin' the 04-05 lineup but would have fit in nicely the following year alongside JP and over Mallon once Turiaf left.

2wiceright
10-24-2011, 11:34 PM
I firmly believe Harris is too versatile, electrifying, and dynamic of a player to keep off any past or present team. He would start for any team in the Country, imho. Yes, that includes a Kentucky or UNC. He's on the Wooden, Naismith, All-American, NBA draft pick radars for a reason, folks. While he's a 'tweener', he's extremely talented.

For instance, he's started every game since he stepped foot on campus, currently holds several Gonzaga Frosh records, and has been the only player who has consistently performed in the NCAA's vs elite competition.

He would have started for any team of old.

I am mildly concerned about his hamstring injury -- hopefully its just a strain and nothing more. Those things can last for entire seasons...

+1 on Elias. I agree he would start on any of our teams in the last 10 years. He's just got that instinct and aggressiveness to get to the hoop (no matter what). It's easy to forget when healthy he has that hunger and will to beat his man. When he's shows his 'bitter-beer-face' I'd hate to be between him and the hoop! I think Sacre would probably make the list as well, isn't he rated as one of the top centers in the country this year ?(not sure of the source- but I thought he was in the top 5 at his position. I'd love to see him battle JPB in the post (battle of the ages)...

mgadfly
10-25-2011, 08:43 AM
Point Guard:
Santangelo, Santangelo, Dickau, Dickau, Stepp, Stepp, Raivio, Raivio, Pargo, Pargo, Pargo, Meech.

This year's David Stockton or Kevin Pangos could probably start over last seasons (2011) Meech. Other than that, I don't think they would have had even an opportunity to win the position. Their second best chance would have probably been Ravio's sophomore/Pargo's freshman season but that would have been a crowded field.

Wings: SG/SF
Frahm/Hall, Frahm/?, Stepp/?, Stepp/?, Bankhead/Skinner, Bankhead/Skinner, Knight/Morrison, Ravio/Morrison, Ravio/Bouldin, Bouldin/Daye, Gray/Bouldin/Daye/Downs, Gray/Bouldin

Our current crop of wings include Carter, GBJ, Edi, Dranginis, Monninghoff, Keita and Hart.

Best chance: Early in the run we played one wing position by committee. I don't think this years version of wings would knock out some of those guys (like a senior Spink in 01, or Bankhead/Hernandez/Reason) from the rotation completely, but they could earn minutes.

Second best chance: Carter replacing Knight 05. Prior to Pargo's arrival in 05-06, Raivio played virtually every meaningful minute at point guard. Morrison was the clear small forward. An incredibly athletic Knight ate up minutes at the other wing spot whenever he wasn't banged up. Carter may have been able to start alongside Raivio, Morrison, Turiaf and Battista.

Cavalry/Eaton.Dench, Cavalry/Dench,Gourde.Violette/Cavalry, Gourde/Violette, Turriaf/Violette, Turriaf/Violette, Turriaf/Batista, Mallon/Battista, Heytvelt/Kuso.Mallon, Hetvelt/Sacre.Kuso, Daye/Heytvelt, Harris/Sacre

Contrary to some of the other posters, I'm not sure that the junior version of Harris would start on a whole lot of those teams. He has a lot to prove before that would be the case as neither the freshman or sophomore versions would replace Cavalry, Turriaf, Violette, Batista, Heytvelt, or Daye. I also don't know if GU would have given him minutes over the big man combo of Eaton/Dench in 1998-99, thus forcing Cavalry to play out of position. Gourde had a pretty good junior season in 01-02 and it is only in retrospect (knowing he lost the job to Turriaf in 02-03) that we minimize his contributions. A junior Harris may very well have taken those minutes in 01-02 from Gourde, but I don't think it would be an easy call by the staff. Harris or a senior Sacre would have started alongside Heytvelt rather than Mallon or Kuso in 06-07 (and a freshman Sacre nearly did the following year).

In 08-09 Sacre probably would have started at Center had he remained healthy. I think he would have only averaged 22 or so minutes per game as they rotated in Daye/Downs/Gray against quicker line-ups.

So if the question is, how many current Zags would have started on other Zags teams during the streak I would say:

Carter (early on possibly), Harris (a couple of seasons), Sacre (a season or two), possibly Dower over Mallon.

This is under the assumption that we are talking about freshman versions of GBJ and KP and the current version of Dower. I still think they have a lot of potential that will be proven down the road.

Baldwinzag
10-25-2011, 08:55 AM
Quick OT comment:

We know Coach Few doesn't indulge, overhype, or give us too much information regarding his teams; however, I sincerely adore the fact he's stated this year's TEAM has the best chemistry(or equal to) of any team he has ever Coached. He also said, while not as naturally talented/gifted, they may be the hardest working group he's had and certainly the fastest learners of any Frosh. The latter two are such a good sign at this level.

OK...

I still believe Harris, even an injured one, would have started in nearly every season mentioned above, save Turiaf/Batista combo. He would have started over Eaton, Gourde, Violette's early yrs, Mallon, & Kuso and played alongside Heytvelt, Calvary, & Turiaf.