PDA

View Full Version : New APR Teeth

Angelo Roncalli
10-24-2011, 10:37 AM
The NCAA will likely tighten the APR and ban teams with sub 900 APR's from post-season play. Think UConn.

WASHINGTON -- At a Knight Commission on Intercollegiate Athletics meeting Monday, NCAA President Mark Emmert said that the Division I board of directors will be voting on a variety of proposals Friday, and one involves academic requirements for postseason play.

Emmert said if approved, one proposal would immediately implement a baseline acceptable Academic Progress Rate (APR) requirement for postseason play of 900, which would include the 2012 NCAA men's basketball tournament. Emmert also said the APR requirement would be raised to 930 in 24 months, if the proposal is approved. These APRs were calculated to target a 50% graduation rate.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2011/10/emmert-says-ncaa-could-impose-stricter-academic-requirements-for-postseason-play-on-friday/1

sittingon50
10-24-2011, 10:54 AM
Let the next round of cooking the books begin.

Bogozags
10-24-2011, 10:54 AM
The NCAA will likely tighten the APR and ban teams with sub 900 APR's from post-season play. Think UConn.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2011/10/emmert-says-ncaa-could-impose-stricter-academic-requirements-for-postseason-play-on-friday/1

This would not sit well with "JC" and if it happens, no doubt he will be re-thinking his choice not to retire...am not a big UConn fan in the least...place him right up there with the other "JC" at UK!

gamagin
10-24-2011, 11:07 AM
communicate by throwing chairs and choking subordinate members ?

Bogozags
10-24-2011, 11:11 AM
communicate by throwing chairs and choking subordinate members ?

:lmao:

ZagWhoShotLibertyValance
10-24-2011, 11:15 AM
more proof, if any were needed, that women are smarter than men:

(cited from the article)

"Had it been applied to last season's NCAA tournament, the 900 benchmark would have scratched three entrants: UAB (860), Alabama State (883) and UConn. A total of 33 Division I men's basketball programs were beneath 900 last season, also including Arkansas (892), Missouri State (896), Ball State (892), Toledo (858) and St. Bonaventure (894).

Only one D-I women's basketball program was below 900 -- IUPUI (896) -- and it didn't make the tournament."

DrDrivel
10-25-2011, 08:04 PM

Yeah, I would have been Dean's List if I were taking Decorative Frosting 220 and Machines 99: An Introduction.

Kiddwell
10-25-2011, 08:52 PM

(cited from the article)

"Had it been applied to last season's NCAA tournament, the 900 benchmark would have scratched three entrants: UAB (860), Alabama State (883) and UConn. A total of 33 Division I men's basketball programs were beneath 900 last season, also including Arkansas (892), Missouri State (896), Ball State (892), Toledo (858) and St. Bonaventure (894).

Only one D-I women's basketball program was below 900 -- IUPUI (896) -- and it didn't make the tournament."

Speaking of Drexel not being on that list...when the heck we gonna schedule those guys?*

:]

*<"Hello, Nurse Practitioner Kalm reporting: Forgive Kiddwell's lapse above. He fell off his tricycle today and cracked his head on a brick. Though running a slight fever, I and his faithful dog "Towzer" will have him back to his usual muttery, slobbering, three-quarters coherent self again in no time. Meanwhile, please, whatever you do, don't say...'Drexel.'">

CDC84
10-26-2011, 07:48 AM
http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2011-10-25/ncaa-for-phase-in-new-academic-standards-beginning-in-2012-13

Contrary to a report published following president Mark Emmert’s appearance before the Knight Commission in Washington on Monday, the NCAA will not make an immediate move to impose a minimum academic score for NCAA Tournament qualification — a standard that might have kept Connecticut from defending its national championship.

Emmert said the story indicating the NCAA would mandate a minimum 900 Academic Progress Rate (APR) score for postseason participation in 2011-12 was incorrect and based on a “miscommunication.”

The NCAA is moving to impose higher academic standards for qualification in championships it sponsors, and Emmert wants them in place for football bowl games, too. But if approved this week by the NCAA board of directors, the new standards will be phased in over a four-year period that would begin in 2012-13.

“We’re trying to change behavior, so we have to give people a chance to adjust,” said University of Hartford president Walter Harrison, chairman of the NCAA committee on academic performance.

The Hartford Courant reported that although UConn’s APR for men’s basketball for the most recent academic year was expected to be a considerable improvement, even a perfect score of 1,000 would not raise it to a 900 average over the four-year period measured for these purposes.

That led to fears the Huskies might not be able to defend their title.

That’s no longer an issue.

75Zag
10-26-2011, 08:32 AM
The NCAA can say anything it wants about improving graduation rates, academic performance, etc., but I won't believe a word of it until a major elite team (like UConn, Kentucky, etc.) is actually prevented from playing in the Tournament due to these new "rules".

Watch what they do, not what they say.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

RenoZag
10-27-2011, 11:03 AM
ESPN LINK (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7156548/ncaa-panel-approves-major-scholarship-rules-changes)

The board also decided to phase in the new Academic Progress Rate cutline over four years. In August, presidents approved increasing the cutline from the current 900 to 930. Schools that fail to meet the benchmark will be ineligible for postseason play.

On Thursday, the board approved a measure to use 900 as the cutline starting in 2012-13. The cutline will increase to 930 in the fourth year. It also adopted a measure to include the rule in bowl licensing agreements, meaning it would apply to the 120-member Football Bowl Subdivision -- the only sport the NCAA for which does not sanction a postseason tourney.

In addition, the board agreed to increase eligibility requirements for incoming freshmen and junior college transfers. Both groups needed a 2.0 GPA to be eligible. Now, high school grads will need to maintain a 2.3 GPA in the 16 core courses and take 10 of those core classes before their senior year. Junior college players will have to maintain a 2.5 GPA and the NCAA will limit the number of physical education credits that will count toward eligibility.

awberke
10-27-2011, 11:07 AM
Yeah, I would have been Dean's List if I were taking Decorative Frosting 220 and Machines 99: An Introduction.

pretty low

RenoZag
10-27-2011, 09:33 PM
Hammer Coming Down (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7157051/ncaa-rule-changes-keep-connecticut-huskies-2013-tourney)

Under the rules adopted by the NCAA's Division I Board of Directors, a school cannot participate in the 2013 tournament unless it has a two-year average score of 930 or a four-year average of 900 on the NCAA's annual Academic Progress Rate, which measures the academic performance of student athletes.

Connecticut's men's basketball scored 826 for the 2009-10 school year.

A UConn official, speaking on condition of anonymity because the number isn't official until next May, said the score for the 2010-11 school year would be approximately 975.

That would not be high enough. It would give Connecticut a two-year score of 900.5 and a four-year average of 888.5.