• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DZ
    Zag for Life
    • Sep 2007

"Great Chemistry"

Its one of the things that coach pointed out in the interviews on Saturday and has been talked about since the summer camps. I am as excited about the potential of our guards and bigs as anyone, this may well become the best recruiting class ever. But, none of that is going to get us into the second or third weeks of the tournament - and Few said it, we have had more talent, been more physical - those teams were good, almost great.

THIS team, according to our coach and the players, has that something "special" called chemistry. It seems to have arisen from a combination of recruiting high character, high talent, "winners" like Pangos/Bell who both talked about how excited they were to get here, both feeling at "home" already, combined with a character named "Rob" - as good a kid as we have ever had, but seems to be growing into as good a man as we could hope for, a man who wants to win more than ever before. Rob's attitude set the tone for the summer, Elias is in the best shape of his life, Dower almost has to be on the floor - Carter, more of the same but better.

I think our high expectations - which we always have, are justified this year, but not simply b/c of the talent amassed, no - I am excited b/c at this early stage, they sound like a "team" and I am very intrigued about what this "team" can do. The Zag chemistry, that effermeral quality that we all know when we see it, sure seems to be in the air.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.
  • bartruff1
    Zag for Life
    • Jan 2010

Swagger.....

I remember Seattle U and UCLA in their runs. They knew they were going to kick your butt and you knew they were going to kick your butt most importantly, they knew you knew they were going to kick your butt. They didn't talk trash, it was their body language. We have had teams and players like that in the past. Ammo was not scared .... Bouldin was not scared..ect...in the biggest games on the biggest stages they played with confidence. I think with a young team, that is even more important. If they see that in the veterans, they will likely relax and play loose and with confidence. I don't think Bobby is scared ....and he has the personality to match. I loved his dance at Kraziness ....

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
      Zag for Life
      • Oct 2008

Chemistry is a must have if we are to beat the blue-chippers and make that proverbial next leap. It doesn't hurt to have some really talented players, either. It's nice that, by all accounts, we have both. We have had so much attrition and have been graduating only one or two players every year. I hope this group can stick together and continue to build this thing up.

It's gotta be nice for Coach that these newbies jumped right in a picked things up so quickly. Dower mention in those Krem2 vids that the team is moving along much quicker in practice than last year, which is very exciting news. Hopefully, this will translate into following the game plan on defense and executing better on the offensive side. Maybe this year we will see the return of the automatic buckets out of timeouts and better execution at the end of the half/game. I can't wait.

Comment

• Malastein
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Which Gonzaga teams really had more talent? I'm curious as to how much that actually holds true, and how much of it is coach talk. Got to keep em motivated.
        The only hope we have for a better future is to come together and do everything we possibly can in order to achieve a sustainable existence. Everything else is folly of a broken foundation.

Comment

• Zag Man
          Kennel Club Material
          • Feb 2010

[QUOTE=bartruff1;689934]They didn't talk trash, it was their body language. We have had teams and players like that in the past. Ammo was not scared .... Bouldin was not scared..ect...in the biggest games on the biggest stages they played with confidence. QUOTE]

IMO one of the great players in Gonzaga basketball lore when the lights came on and the cameras were rolling was Jeremy Pargo. He always seemed to play at his best when the “big” games were being played. People got out of way when Jeremy made a move toward the basket to do his “tomahawk” jam!!

I also agree that Adam Morrison was cut out of the same cloth. Adam was just an amazing scorer from all over the court.

Comment

• jimmy b
            Kennel Club Material
            • Oct 2007

motivation

Originally posted by Malastein View Post
            Which Gonzaga teams really had more talent? I'm curious as to how much that actually holds true, and how much of it is coach talk. Got to keep em motivated.
            coach talk..exactly. Maybe its a reference to Pargo/heytvelt/downs era and the athleticism, but I would think this squad is at or near top in talent historically.

If its not, what was last year? The way I see it, we have potentially improved at all spots (realize not easy to replace Gray's contributions), but it looks like we will not be playing 4 on 5 on offense, and have legitimate outside threats at the guard spots, something you can argue we haven't had since pre-Winston. This changes dynamics greatly especially when those guards can not only shoot, but pass and feed the post.

Of course its all speculation at this point, but I tend to think that if KP, GBJ, Edi, are as good as some here think, watchout.

Because I cannot fathom the returnees not improving. Sacre will not have a
            Zach Gourde senior season, Stockton will be better, Carter will play as he did at end of the year (or better), Dower...and...

We just need to stay healthy.

Comment

• maynard g krebs
              Zag for Life
              • Sep 2009

how much of it is coach talk. Got to keep em motivated.
              Agree. And tempering fan/media hype. While we'll maybe never see a frontcourt pair like JP/Adam again, the guards now have the talent to equalize things. Just an issue of youth.

Comment

• TheZagPhish
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Nice post, Dixie.

We'll need that chemistry when the season brings the tough stretches, when setbacks shuffle the variables and the team has to adapt.

May there be no major injuries.

Go Zags!
                Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Comment

• bartruff1
                  Zag for Life
                  • Jan 2010

Talent yes, chemistry maybe not so much.. Daye, Pargo, Bouldin, Josh, Downs, Gray, Meech...possibly, some others....But....we shall see...in any case, I just had to take the bait...

Comment

• CB4
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2009

Chemistry is not correlated with a team's on court success. In no way shape or form is everyone being friends necessary or a contributing factor to winning at this level. Just saying.

Comment

• Malastein
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by bartruff1 View Post
                      Talent yes, chemistry maybe not so much.. Daye, Pargo, Bouldin, Josh, Downs, Gray, Meech...possibly, some others....But....we shall see...in any case, I just had to take the bait...
                      Seems like you just listed a lot of small forwards on that list. Perhaps there is more talent there, but I'd rather have it spread out. And I'd especially want to have talented post players, which none of the players listed really are.
                      The only hope we have for a better future is to come together and do everything we possibly can in order to achieve a sustainable existence. Everything else is folly of a broken foundation.

Comment

• bartruff1
                        Zag for Life
                        • Jan 2010

Seems like you just listed a lot of small forwards on that list. Perhaps there is more talent there, but I'd rather have it spread out. And I'd especially want to have talented post players, which none of the players listed really are.
                        Now don't you feel better. You just can't quit chewing on that bone can you ? (retorical question). I have a opinion about the most talented team to this point, and the only person that will convince me otherwise will probably never ever write a book. But, I have a open mind, I am willing to wait a few games, a few years.

Comment

• BobZag
                          Dark Lord of the Zag
                          • Jan 2007

Good to hear.

The Casper College Men’s Basketball staff has struck gold once again for the class of 2011-2012 with quite possibly one of the most highly ...
                          The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• Malastein
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by bartruff1 View Post
                            Now don't you feel better. You just can't quit chewing on that bone can you ? (retorical question). I have a opinion about the most talented team to this point, and the only person that will convince me otherwise will probably never ever write a book. But, I have a open mind, I am willing to wait a few games, a few years.
                            The marrow is the tastiest. I don't dispute the talent though. Still, wouldn't you think the better response would include the roster with Adam Morrison, JP Batista, and Ronny Turiaf?

Or Stepp, Turiaf, Knight, Violette, Morrison?

Or Dickau, Stepp, Calvary?

Gonzaga has had a lot of talent over the years, but this might be the deepest team with talent across the board.

Comment

• tobizag
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by CB4 View Post
                              Chemistry is not correlated with a team's on court success. In no way shape or form is everyone being friends necessary or a contributing factor to winning at this level. Just saying.
                              maybe that's true if all we're talking is off court chemistry. but if that off court chemistry and trust is carried over onto the court, then it absolutely can help. the more you can trust your teammates, and anticipate their thoughts/movements/actions on the court, the better.
                              sigpic

GU Class of '07

Comment

Working...
                              X