X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ID ZAGFAN
    • Apr 2024

ZaGranny's Adventures in ZagLand 2011-12

Loved the whole Kraziness in the Kennel experience. We got to Spokane about 1:45 and I stood in line near ZagItUp while Mr. ID made a Costco run. We were standing about a hundred feet from where the line turned to go down the sidewalk. It was a lot of fun. The atmosphere was electric, no-one seemed to mind the long queue, and luckily the rain had stopped. I visited all the booths and picked up schedules, signs for the motor home, etc.

I called Mr. ID to pick me up a polish dog at Costco. He arrived back at the MAC with just a few minutes to spare, so we had to eat our dogs before we went in.

Inside, it was even more special. One of the dance team members applied my tattoo for me. We found seats in the front row of the upper section, but with a better view of the floor than the accessible seats.

Loved the atmosphere--even the old farts were standing up and clapping--though I had to remind the old fart next to me (Mr. ID) to stand up once.

The scrimmage has been adequately covered by all the posts before mine, so I'll just say I was impressed with all the guys. Loved what they were showing, especially the newbies, and I am so excited for the season.

Had seen Hondo while I was in line, but had a chance to talk to him after the scrimmage. He seemed as excited as I am about the season.

We got in line to get autographs, and I was really glad we did. Enjoyed visiting with the guys a bit--Kelly Olynk recognized me, and asked if the the dogs were with us--they were in the car. Kelly confirmed that he had hit his head in practice, but that it was just precautionary that he sat out. Sacre chatted with Mr. ID, saying "Everybody's got color in their hair but you (Mr. ID looks like an Idaho Mountain Man) and I don't need that--at which Kelly (I think) said, well you have to have something to color, Sacre. I told Sacre that we would be going to see them play in Vancouver--so I could indulge my two passions--Zags and Inuit/Indian Art. He said it would be a great time, and impressed me by naming the one Museum everybody on the Inuit/Indian art group had said was a must visit--the Museum of Anthropology at the U of BC.

Chatted with Sarbaugh and told him we were happy to have a fellow Idahoan on the team--he was impressed that we came over from Sandpoint for the scrimmage, and I said Zags and Costco--when you can do that in one trip, it's a good day.

Chatted with several of the newbies, and was impressed that they did not seem overwhelmed by the reception they had received.

We just got home about 9--we were trying to find some almond roca as a hostess gift for my sister-in-law in the UK--she loves it. After a stop at the made in Washington store in the River Front Mall (they don't carry it, go figure since it is made in Tacoma) and found it at the Rite Aid across the street. Then we stopped in Sandpoint to pick up a Papa Murphy's pizza.

Forgot to say--the Kennel Club was great! Several new chants and lots of energy!

All in all, a great day. PMTA

ZaGranny
    Last edited by Guest; 10-22-2011, 09:48 PM. Reason: clarification and KC statement.

ZaGranny's Adventures in Zagland: GU vs. Carroll

Great day in Zagland.

We departed only 45 minutes later than I wanted--not too bad.

We got to our hotel about 4:00. I had planned to walk the two little dogs on the river walk to Gonzaga, but didn't have time. So after we got to the arena I did half of my workout for the day--15 minutes walking around the arena.

Saw BobZag and his mom before the game and had a nice chat.
    Alsot visited a few times with Lurknomore and her daughter Haile and her sister-in-law.

Thoroughly enjoyed the game. Loved seeing the newbies and vets play. Was impressed with Ryan Spangler, Mike Hart, Kyle D. Vets: Elias is back!!!
    Sacfe and Carter performed as expected. By the end of the game, I was just hoping that Few would put Sarbaugh in so that we could see him play, since many think he may redshirt. He did get in and aside from looking like Matt Bouldin from a distance, he seemed to move quite a bit like him--though he doesn't have Matt's guns--needs to get in the weight room.

Anyway, it was a great first look at our 2011-2012 Zags.

Can't wait for the regular season to start!

After the game, I saw Lurknomore and her daughter again. Her daughter actually caught a t-shirt from the cheerleaders. I told her I wanted to borrow her Bulldog hat (big Spike head) for the next game.

As we were going out, someone tapped me on the elbow and said "Red Hoodie" as he dashed by. I think it was ZagItUp, who was behind me in line last Saturday, but I am not sure.

Great day in Zagland. We are back at the hotel, looking forward to going to the Lady Zags Fan Fest tomorrow.

ZaGranny

Comment

ZaGranny's Adventures in Zagland: GU vs. EWU

What a game!

If the women's game was a bit of a yawner, the men's was cardiac city!

We went right back to the MAC after checking into our hotel. I walked some more around the arena, (to get my sixty minutes of exercise in).

First thing I noticed was that Kelly, Chris, and Kevin seem to be redshirting. Guy was also in street clothes, since he can't play.

EWU came loaded for bear--I didn't feel comfortable until the last 2 or 3 minutes.

During the game, I got a kick out of "Coach Kelly"--he was carrying a clipboard, writing on it, and coaching from the bench.

Loved what I saw from veterans Rob, Elias, Marquise and Michael. Kevin Pangos had a solid game, and Gary Bell seems to settle in later in the game. For a while, I worried that our free throw woes from previous years were catching up with us, but they seemed to right that ship later in the game.

At halftime, I had a learning experience--I was standing over by the door to the Bulldog Social Club, watching for Hondo, since I hadn't had a chance to talk to him for a couple of games. As I stood there, a guy went by and said--you want to go in? I said sure, and he handed me a social club ticket. I didn't see Hondo, but I did learn that if you were only donating the extra Bulldog Club money for the social club, it wouldn't be worth it for just beer or wine and pretzels.

I thought that the Kennel Club did a fantastic job. I am so glad they started a bunch of chants for defense. It means I don't have to lose my voice every game shouting DEEEEE-FENSE.

After the game, I did get a chance to talk to Hondo. We had a nice visit.

Now we're back at the hotel watch Zags on the news and relaxing.

All in all a very satisfactory day in Zagland.

ZaGranny

Comment

• ZaggyG
        Redshirt
        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by ID ZAGFAN View Post
        What a game!

I thought that the Kennel Club did a fantastic job. I am so glad they started a bunch of chants for defense. It means I don't have to lose my voice every game shouting DEEEEE-FENSE.

ZaGranny
        From a KCer...you guys (the rest of the crowd) were fabulous too! I love starting the "ON YOUR FEET" chant and getting such a response from the crowd.

Comment

ZaGranny's Adventures in ZaGland RMHC Classic

We left the house at about 10:30 to get to the Arena for the early start. Packed up the dogs and overnight stuff, in case Mr. ID wanted to stay overnight since we'll be going to the women's game tomorrow. The dogs seem to know that they are going to get to go when I pick up the Zag Bandanas and put them on--Rusty the lab gets especially excited.

Can anyone explain to me why there were no cheerleaders at this game? Spike and Ronald MacDonald don't quite cut it. The KC had fair representation, and the crowd was full of little kids who were enthusiastic.
          Don't now if it's true--but it seems like my yelling "Deeee-fense" is the signal for the KC to start one of their chants.

I saw Hondo before the game and chatted with him.

Loved the game. I was very impressed with David Stockton, Sam Dower, and Mike Hart. The Zags let WSU back in once and I got a little anxious, until they started to pull away.

I was interested to read on the program that a student at one of the school I taught at is an assistant coach at WSU. Larry Farmer played at Manual High School in Denver my first year of teaching there, where I was a very enthusiastic fan. (He's probably better remembered for playing and coaching at UCLA.) He was a great player and student--and a very spiffy dresser. His looks haven't changed that much--though he has put on a few pounds. I googled him, and found out that he is 60 years old and has been coaching 30 years. Talk about my being ZaGranny!

We drove back home tonight. Gonna have leftover turkey for dinner tonight. We have to get up early and head for Spokane again.

ZaGranny

Comment

ZaGranny's Adventures in Zagland: GU vs. ORU

We got an early start today, because we had a couple of errands in Sandpoint--mailing our last Christmas package and checking at Yoke's to see if we could order a goose for Christmas dinner--we couldn't. I'll have to think of something else.

Then we headed over to the Spokane arriving at the Kennel around 5.

I walked 10 laps around the arena before the game. I saw BobZag, Hondo, and BBallGuy and chatted a bit. Two of the ushers started counting may laps for me, and again most of them were smiling and giving me a thumbs up. As I was walking, I saw a Spokane policeman. I stopped and said "I'll bet you're having an easier gig than the guys in Cincinnati this week." He said, "Yeah, I am sure you're right."

The crowd was a little sparse until just before the game was going to start. I saw talked to Lurknomore and her daughter, who were seated nottoo far from us.

The students and band just about filled sections 108, 107, and 106. The students did a good job, and some of the crowd was enthusiastic.
            Unfortunately, the man seated behind me and to the right got upset when I stood up, so I was somewhat limited in what I could do, but I could still yell "Deeeeee-fense" At the half, he thanked me for being considerate, and I mentioned to him that the one thing people complain about especially when the students are gone is that the "Old Farts" don't stand and don't yell--and Ido both even though I am also an old fart.

The game had a successful outcome, but I had some very anxious moments. I was pleased to see Spangler play a few minutes, and thought he did some
            good things. But I really pleased when the "calvary" arrived and Few put back in the 4 starters--Sacre, Elias, Hart, and Bell--who had been on the bench.

We sat directly across from the ORU bench, and I noticed a great sign:

"DBH #32 repping the 907"

907 is the area code for the entire state of Alaska. DBH is is Damon Bell-Holton, from Hydaburg, Alaska, one of ORU's outstanding players. I couldn't believe that Hydaburg could produce such a great baller--it doesn't even have a high school. I have been there,and there is nothing there but a great bunch of Haida totem poles.

Wonder how many people besides me (and Nada Stepovich Stockton of the Fairbanks Stepovich's if she saw it) understood the sign. At halftime while I was doing my last 2 laps, I saw a guy with an ORU t shirt and asked him if those folks were from Alaska, and he thought they probably were. Then I saw a group of young men, one of them wearing a t-shirt with a Haida (Indian) Raven symbol on it. So I asked him if he were from from Alaska and he said he was. It turns out he was a classmate of DBH, so we had a nice chat. Then I finished just the first of my two laps, since I had been visiting.

I got to see a woman that I had seen several times this last year, and none this year, so I had been worried about her health, but she said she has been to all of the games, but just sitting all over the place. She wondered why I was so quiet until I told her about the guy behind me.

After the game, I did my last lap. Then I saw that the 907 contingent (or as I called them the Hydaburgers) was still behind the ORU bench so I went down to talk to them. The young man had told me the woman with the sign was DBH's mom--I had figured as much. I thought this is probably the closest he will play to his family this year. So I told her she must be very proud of her son. She was amazed that I had been to Hydaburg. I said "Yeah, I visited my sister in Craig (on the same Prince of Wales Island) which was nothing--a store, a hamburger joint, and a dump where we went to watch the black bears and bald eagles, then we drove to Hydaburg, which was less than nothing, to see the totem poles. She kept introducing me to friends, DBH's sister, and one of the ORU coaches as a lady who has been to Hydaburg.

After that, I left and walked toward the elevator. I saw Pendo talking to a bunch of folks, so I went over to him. I asked him if he knew how many laps around the concourse it took to do a mile, and he didn't know, but he promised to find out. Then he called to a MAC staffer who said he thought it was 10. I said great, I have been doing 12--then the guy said or maybe 12, so Pendo said he would find out for sure and let me know next time. Then I asked him how his new job was going, and he said it was going well--and he didn't hit me up for a donation!

All in all, another great day in Zagland.

Now we are at the Red Lion hotel. We are heading for the BIS tomorrow morning and did not see any reason to drive back to Sandpoint. At the restaurant, we sat next to a group of 8. Turns out they were from Alaska, down to see one of the family graduate from GU law school tomorrow. We had a great conversation with them--but I told them they should have gone to the game to see the Hydaburg player.

ZaGranny

Comment

ZaGranny's Adventures in Zagland: GU vs. ORU

Oops!

We left the hotel in Spokane today and drove to one in Seattle for tomorrow's game. Trouble is we left the canister of food for the dogs in the hotel in Spokane, so Mr. ID had to run out and buy dog food before we could do anything else.

ZaGranny

Comment

• TerpZag
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ID ZAGFAN View Post
                ...We left the hotel in Spokane today and drove to one in Seattle for tomorrow's game....

ZaGranny
                I hope we are fortunate to meet you and Mr. ID ZAGFAN again this year at the BIS Pregame Party.

Have a great time and Go Zags!

Comment

ZaGranny's Adventures in Zagland: GU vs. Butler

We got an early start today. We headed into Sandpoint to finish a little Christmas shopping and mail our Christmas cards (Yay!)

Then we headed over to Spokane. We got to the arena about 4:45, and I headed in to walk the concourse while Mr. ID walked the dogs.

While I walked the concourse I saw BobZag going the other way and chatted a bit. Also while walking, Eurozag came up and asked if I was Zagranny. She did a lap with me and we chatted. That was fun.

I went to our seats and found Mr. ID was already there. I had him go get me something to eat. The carvery has added ham to its list sandwiches, so I tried that and it was really good. (On another culinary note--the pork slider people have added a beef burger slider to their menu. I tried that last week and it was pretty good.)

First--I will say I thought the crowd, with its little pie slice of KC, was the best I have seen it without the students. (On either post game or Zags live radio show, the announcers mentioned that it was as if somebody had told the people sitting in student section that they should really bring it.) The people around me (we were in section 106) were really enthusiastic, yelling, standing, clapping, etc. The people in front of me gave me a double high five for the games, and our cheering.

The game was fantastic. I loved that the guys regrouped a bit after Butler took a lead and just took it to them. Elias had another great game, as did Pangos and Bell. Loved the lead we had at half-time.

I finished up my laps at half time, and saw Hondo as I was walking and we chatted. I also saw Lurknomore and her husband.

The second half was great, too. Stocks, Dower, Bell and Hart also deserve a mention for their great play.

When we left the arena it was snowing a bit, but nothing too bad. It stopped and then started again intermittently all the way home, but the roads were not awful. It did take us about 15 minutes longer to get home, which isn't bad.

Now we're home and having left over pizza for a late snack.

Another great day in Zagland!

ZaGranny

Comment

• EuroZag2010
                    Zag for Life
                    • Sep 2010

It's was great meeting you !! It was a fun game I don't have much of a voice anymore but was well worth it !! Bring on Air Force!
                    "I'm really excited. I'm excited to wear GONZAGA on my chest.
                    -Kevin Pangos-

"You play to win the game, HELLO!?!- I dont care if you have any wins! You play to win the game "-Herm Edwards
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=IMk5sMHj58I

Comment

ZaGranny's Adventures in Zagland: GU vs. AFA

An other great journey to ZagLand.

We got an early start, with a couple of errands to do in Spokane. The roads were clear, with a little fog in the Spokane Valley. The valley was a winter wonderland--all of the trees were covered with beautiful frost.

We made stops at Costco and the Party store in the Spokane Valley and headed on to the arena.

We got to the arena about 4:45. I picked up the tickets, and I went in to walk to the concourse while Mr. ID walked the dogs. I saw BobZag twice while I was doing my laps, BBallGuy and Lurknomore and her husband twice. The ushers all smile at me and give me thumbs up. Two of them count my laps, and once of those two walked a half a lap with me as he had to go get a chair for someone. I did 10 laps before the game.

Our seats were pretty good. 108 row 4. We were right next to the KC. There were fewer than 40 KC members there. They did not quite feel up the small pie shaped section 107. They were trying, but somewhat disjointed. I was glad to see that they decided not to boo AFA, and not to turn their backs when AFA being introduced. The two in front were trying to lead chants, but halfway up someone would start a different chant.

The rest of the crowd did a pretty good job, especially when things got a little tense in the second half.

Loved the play by Pangos, Dower, and Dower.Bell did pretty well, too. I yelled myself hoarse. Hart did his usual job on the defense. I was really glad when we pulled away a bit in the second half.

At the half, I finished my last two laps, but it was a struggle through the crowds. I saw Hondo at the half and chatted with him a bit.

Loved the end of the game, and the result. Saw Hondo again after the game. He said "It was too close for too long." I agreed.

We left and headed home. Again the roads were clear, with some fog. We got home about 10:15.

Enjoying left over pizza again and watching the replay on 426.

Great day in ZagLand.

ZaGranny

Comment

ZaGranny and Mr. ID on the replay

You can see us behind Spike at :55.4 in the replay. I am in the red hoodie, Mr. ID is the Idaho mountain man to my left.

I was not one of the old farts sitting on their hands--I was probably up more often than the guy behind me would have liked--but he was tall, and did not mind.

ZaGranny

Comment

ZaGranny's Adventures: GU vs. Portland

We got an early start today. We had to leave our dogs at home today. Our lab gets anxious in the car, and (long story short) he was ill after the last game and we had to take him to the hospital Christmas Eve, where he stayed overnight. They gave him some meds and IV's, and sent him home Christmas day. They gave us some tranquilizers for future car trips, but we wanted to make sure he was really well before we take him in the car again. So we left the little dogs to keep him company, and had our housekeeper clean a day early so that he was not alone for too long.

After a brief stop at Costco, we arrived at the MAC about five. I went in to walk the concourse, and Mr. ID walked outside.

I walked 9 laps before the game. I saw Hondo twice before the game, and introduced him to Lurknomore. I also saw Bobzag and Gamagin before the the game. I am seeing more and more people that I have met (not on the boards) who I have met Seattle, San Diego, Las Vegas and Vancouver, as well as Spokane.

As I went to my seat. the guy 3 seats down from ours, stopped me and said "Would you be ZaGranny?" "Yes, I am." "Well, you won't know me, as I am a lurker on the boards, but I really enjoy reading your posts." Fun!

Loved the game! Loved that "Coach" Kelly Olynyk was rocking a sports jacket and tie, as well as his clipboard. Saw him coaching Dower and Spangler a few times during the game--a guy I take to be a student manager had to remind him once to stay off the floor. Love that enthusiasm from the bench. Loved the way the guys played hard all the game and never let up. Loved that a lot of guys got more minutes than usual and most did quite well. Standouts among the bench players were Spangler, Dower,and Stockton. The starters played well with fewer minutes than usual. Sacre looked much more energetic than last game, though it is obvious his thumb is bothering him. 2 or 3 minutes before the end of the game, Jennifer wrapped and (it looked like) immobilized his thumb. Loved that the crowd, where we were at least, was pretty active. The KC was a little bit larger than the last game and a little louder. Loved a 39 pt. winning margin.

Walked 2 more laps at the half, then I walked a final round after the game, to get my 12 laps in. Saw Hondo again. We left and drove home in the rain. We arrived home about 10. All of the doggies were fine, even the recovering one.

So it was a great day in ZagLand!

ZaGranny

Comment

GU vs. Pepperdine

Got an early start today. We loaded up the dogs and headed out, with a short stop in Sandpoint. We arrived at the arena just before 4:30, and I picked up the tickets and went up to walk the concourse, while Mr. ID walked the dogs.

It was great getting there that early--fewer people to avoid on the concourse.
                            Saw several folks I know as I walked--BobZag, Lurknomore and her husband, and a lurker and his wife who I have talked to a couple of times. As I finished up the 12th lap, I saw Pendo. He remembered me and my question the last time I talked to him. He had the answer for me--12 1/2 laps to do a mile. So I did 13 today, and will do 13 for the rest of the games, and it will just about average out. When I stopped at the Pork slider stand to get water and a diet pepsi, a lady working at the Fiesta stand came out to say hi, and asked how many laps I did before each game. I told her that it had been 12, but was up to 13, since it is 12 1/2 to make a mile. She said she and the other folks working with her tried to count the laps I was making, but had trouble keeping up.

We had great seats in section 104 row 3. Hondo and his wife were 2 seats down from us in the same row. I was glad that there was no one in front of me--so I wasn't disturbing anyone when I yelled deee-fense!!!

I took several pictures of the warm-ups and stuff, but I left the camera in the car--and if you could see the skating rink which is our driveway, you would understand why I don't just go out and get it. I will put some pictures in the thread when I get it tomorrow.

The game was all BobZag and I wanted--he said he wanted a comfortable win, with which I agreed. Loved the way the guys came out and took charge. Kevin, GBJ, and Elias had good games. Loved Dower, Stockton, and Edi off the bench. Was so happy to see all the other guys get some time. Mathis and his 3's were great. Thought we had a lot of hustle, especially on defense. Would like to see better rebounding, though.

I did my typical job of trying to get some of the other Old Farts going, and some around me did cheer and clap. I got up to dance and got myself on DanceCam. Hondo gave me the thumbs up! That was fun!

Thought they made a mistake putting the KC in section 102. They just didn't project that well from that direction.

We left soon after the game, and had an uneventful trip home.

Altogether, a very satisfactory day in ZagLand.

ZaGranny

Comment

• JLGutrocks
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

You looked good bustin a move on the dance cam.

“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.” ~Jack Handey~

Comment

Working...
                              X