PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Pangos=Mickey McConnell?

Zag@LMU
10-22-2011, 10:21 PM
I couldn't have been the only one that saw similarities out there today.

04ZagFan
10-22-2011, 10:29 PM
I must say, I try and wait until the real games start to judge the newbies, but wow Pangos looked good. He seems to have better pure point guard skills than Mickey, but that's just my opinion.

zagmantis2001
10-22-2011, 10:37 PM
More fluid than McConnell, better court vision, better handles from what I saw. More developed at this point.

SunDevilGolfZag
10-23-2011, 06:25 AM
Maybe some McConnell in there but I saw more Dickau in Pangos -- a take charge gunslinger type confidence.

jazzdelmar
10-23-2011, 07:53 AM
all due respect to MM, but im hoping KP is more a DDD2.0.

Zagcity
10-23-2011, 11:14 AM
McConnell Who? ;)

MDABE80
10-23-2011, 11:14 AM
Kevin's a rare combination of Matt Santangelo who was very good at dissecting defenses and Dan's shooting. Not quit the acrobat (of MM) and not the athleticism of Matt but he knows how to play.
Think back one year. Loved Meech as a tough player but this is the first time in years where the PG can do all things. Kevin will only mature and improve over the next several seasons.

He has the sense of "anticipation" and he knows where each of the players are/should be. Not flashy and he won't be jumping over chairs and teammates for a dunk but he'll figure out a way to win. His LD shooting will keep the other side honest.

As the team matures, it'll only get more complete. I do believe David will get minutes too...and do a good job when used judiciously but I suspect Few saw exactly what he'd hoped for when Kevin was recruited.

jazzdelmar
10-23-2011, 11:18 AM
He has the sense of "anticipation" and he knows where each of the players are/should be. Not flashy and he won't be jumping over chairs and teammates for a dunk

hope that era of self absorption is over...

MDABE80
10-23-2011, 11:29 AM
We have that other Demon called gary Bell jr to more than spread the floor. It's a new era of Zag ball. Besketball like it's supposed to be played. Fundamentals galore with team play in mind. These kids won't get beat often....and they'll keep things close with anyone.

And those BIGS have a feeder! Those glorious BIGS! Rob, last week was named the 2nd best 7 footer in the country behind NC's Zeller. Well Rob never had these guards to work with. Sam, Spangler, etc...look for this to be a premier tough group with thought and purpose.

Basketball like it's meant to be played......

sircreate
10-23-2011, 11:55 AM
So after one scrimmage he's suddenly better then last season's POY? lol

Btw things got a littler easier for you in conference, St Mary's just lost Paul McCoy for the season with a knee injury

jazzdelmar
10-23-2011, 12:05 PM

Btw things got a littler easier for you in conference, St Mary's just lost Paul McCoy for the season with a knee injury

We're talking potential here, chill. MM was super.

ZaggyStardust
10-23-2011, 12:41 PM

TAINTED Already!!!!!

pbriz
10-23-2011, 12:52 PM

McConnell averaged a point in 6 minutes a game as a freshmen. Do I think Pangos will average more than those numbers? Yes.

Do I think Pangos will average more than 16 points a game his final year like McConnell did.... thats asking a lot for any player.

billyberu
10-23-2011, 01:33 PM

Did you actually "lol?" How juvenile.

After 10 straight conference titles Gonzaga sure does need a lot of help.

04ZagFan
10-23-2011, 01:37 PM

Mickey was great last year. Smart, veteran... Not knocking him at all.. But he's not really a true PG. Pangos is. I think that's what we were getting at here.

Also I'm pretty sure Paul McCoy wasn't going to be a difference maker this year. Unimpressive career numbers. Gonzaga rolls through the WCC regardless.

Martin Centre Mad Man
10-23-2011, 01:47 PM

Take it as a sign of respect for the St. Mary's Program that we are excited to see similarities between our young recruits and your players. Really. McConnel was a great player and very deserving of that Player of the Year award. We would have loved to have had him. We all hope that Pangos becomes that good over time.

MDABE80
10-23-2011, 02:07 PM
SMC is going to be a big challenge this year. Mickey was a superior player. Pangos has at least as much if not more talent. Kevin will develop further. He really DOES have the goods to be a great one.

Mickey was SMC's leader and deservedly so. Not sure Kevin has those qualities. I think so but future leadership is uncertain. Usually performance generates that. This year it'll be Rob and Carter.... I do think PG's with big skills should be the guy the others look to. We'll see.

zagzilla
10-23-2011, 02:16 PM
Too bad about McCoy. That guy had a lot of potential too. SMC has depth though so its not like Trasolini for SCU

Speaking of potential, let's let KP log a few minutes in some real games before we annoint him the second coming of Dickau or McCConnell.

If I had a choice though, I'd take the reincarnation of a 1st team AA vs. the WCC POY

ZZ

JPtheBeasta
10-23-2011, 02:38 PM
Take it as a sign of respect for the St. Mary's Program that we are excited to see similarities between our young recruits and your players. Really. McConnel was a great player and very deserving of that Player of the Year award. We would have loved to have had him. We all hope that Pangos becomes that good over time.

+1. MM had great range and made clutch shots. He also made a lot of posters here envious with the way he made the offense run. There's always a bit of hyperbole after Kraziness (Arop compared to Michael Jordan, if I recall correctly) because we are all so excited for the new players and the new season. Be careful with the indignation, though, because Pangos' career could eclipse Mickey's by the time it's all said and done.

awberke
10-23-2011, 03:47 PM
Mickey was great last year. Smart, veteran... Not knocking him at all.. But he's not really a true PG. Pangos is.

What?! How can you not consider him a true PG?

50%FG
45%3FG
6 AST/GM
1.8 Fouls/GM
2.3 TO/GM

He played smart, rarely made mistakes, took good shots, made everyone around him better... how can you not consider him a true PG?

FlyZag
10-23-2011, 05:05 PM

50%FG
45%3FG
6 AST/GM
1.8 Fouls/GM
2.3 TO/GM

He played smart, rarely made mistakes, took good shots, made everyone around him better... how can you not consider him a true PG?

+1

MM was easily THE best point guard on the west coast last year.

04ZagFan
10-23-2011, 05:08 PM

50%FG
45%3FG
6 AST/GM
1.8 Fouls/GM
2.3 TO/GM

Fair enough. I honestly didn't look at the assist numbers. Very impressive.(the point I was trying to make had nothing to do with scoring though) To me, Mickey just didn't fit that mold of a true PG, but the assist numbers kinda say otherwise.

Demetri Awesome
10-23-2011, 06:13 PM

Yep! When someone's got they got it. KP and GP Jr. have some bright futures so get put your shades on Sir!

MDABE80
10-23-2011, 06:50 PM
Like there is a "fake" point guard??!!! lol Mick was a wonderful expample of what a PG should be. We've needed a kid like that for years. Our outcome would have been much brighter in the NCAA's if would have had one.
We do now though...a good pair actually. Just my opnion but I suspect our 2 new guards will be everything Mickey was. ...and more. They bring skills and work like upperclassmen already.

Not sure how Bell and Pangos matured so quickly but they have. When lots of talent meets discipline, good things happen. And they will.....;)

jimmy b
10-23-2011, 07:36 PM
Like there is a "fake" point guard??!!! lol Mick was a wonderful expample of what a PG should be. We've needed a kid like that for years. Our outcome would have been much brighter in the NCAA's if would have had one.
We do now though...a good pair actually. Just my opnion but I suspect our 2 new guards will be everything Mickey was. ...and more. They bring skills and work like upperclassmen already.

Not sure how Bell and Pangos matured so quickly but they have. When lots of talent meets discipline, good things happen. And they will.....;)

McConnell was awesome and agreed he would have been a huge asset in last few years.

I find the position labels strange. I see Mick as a PG but he was a combo when Mills was the "PG", just as Stepp was a "PG" when DD was injured.
In reality, Stepp, whether labeled a 1 or 2 (PG or SG) did what good PG's do.
I'm hoping Bell and Pangos do the same - it appears they both make those around them better, which bodes well.

Regarding the Comparisons to other players (which I view as good fun, nothing more), what's happened to the "Steve Nash 2.0" label that KP has had for years? I haven't heard it mentioned, but aren't there similarities (projecting out of course) there ?

awberke
10-23-2011, 09:03 PM
Regarding the Comparisons to other players (which I view as good fun, nothing more), what's happened to the "Steve Nash 2.0" label that KP has had for years? I haven't heard it mentioned, but aren't there similarities (projecting out of course) there ?

He wants to be Kevin Pangos 1.0, not anybody else.

I'm going to say that we shouldn't put any undue stress on him to perform, and then in my head i'm going to envision how good he is going to be this year.

odeasmcgu
10-23-2011, 09:44 PM
Not a fair comparison right now for Pangos and quite frankly a lot of pressure. I personally have not see him play yet, but based on the hype on this board, I am very excited too. The comparison isn't fair because speaking very truthfully, McConnell had ZERO hype coming into SMC (kinda overshadowed by that Patty Mills guy????). He was a last minute guy brought in after he decommitted. He was supposed to and did develop as Mills' replacement.

Additionally, McConnell didn't show much until midway through his junior year. If the Zags truly believe he is a starter from day one, he will have to be much better than Mick was a freshman. Obviously no disrespect to Mickey, but by far his jump and maturation from Freshman year to Senior year was remarkable.

Better question is "how does Pangos compare to Mills or Ravio or ..." ie guys who started pretty much from freshman year. Can't really even compare to Nash b/c he didn't start from day 1 and really didn't make a name for himself until the WCC championship against Pepperdine and then followed by one of the greatest upsets in tournament history (knocking off No. 2 Arizona).

sittingon50
10-23-2011, 10:17 PM
Raivio avg. 11 MPG his Fr. year. Mr. Stepp didn't come off the floor much.

cjm720
10-24-2011, 11:43 AM

I'm going to say that we shouldn't put any undue stress on him to perform, and then in my head i'm going to envision how good he is going to be this year.

Agree.

All of Canada expects him to be the next Steve Nash, and now the GU Boards expects him to be better than MM or Dickau.

Cart before the horse, anyone? I'll take it one day at a time, and hopefully love every minute of it.

CDC84
10-24-2011, 11:57 AM
I'd just like Kevin Pangos to be Kevin Pangos. If he's just that, he is going to be awfully good basketball player in the years to come.

LongIslandZagFan
10-24-2011, 12:09 PM

Yep.