PDA

View Full Version : Meehan's recap

Pargo the Destroyer
10-22-2011, 08:49 PM
Merge should u deem fit
http://t.co/kG9NNXu4

ZagNative
10-22-2011, 09:02 PM
Deserves its own thread, IMHO. Lots of interesting stuff in that post, including:

—It sounds like the scrimmage was planned for 20 minutes, but shortened because the team practiced for 2 hours earlier Saturday. Elias Harris only played eight minutes because of a tender hamstring. However, after watching Harris it's evident he's in better shape (he's at 234 pounds after playing at around 245 a year ago). More on how he did it next week.
—Guy Landry Edi had a couple of nice stretches. The athletic 6-6 wing had basket in transition, a drive-and-dish to set up Dower's dunk and then drew a charge at the other end of the floor.

“I thought Guy looked good and he's going to help us in a variety of ways,” head coach Mark Few said.

Landry Edi scored the Red's final six points, connecting on a 3 and three free throws in the final 60 seconds.

“I've definitely heard about it (the crowd) and I've seen it on TV,” Landry Edi said. “But experiencing it with my teammates was a great experience. I've heard we have the best fans in the country and I agree with it.”And interesting comments about Kelly and the redshirt question:
—Kelly Olynyk sat out with a concussion suffered earlier this week.

“I went to block a shot, someone pump-faked and I flipped over them and hit my head,” he said. “I guess I stood up and sat back down, blacked out for a bit.”

Olynyk is one of five GU bigs. My guess is the Zags will go with four if everybody remains healthy, meaning Olynyk or Spangler are the likely candidates to redshirt. Dower has already used his redshirt season.

“I haven’t really thought about it too much, I’m practicing like I'm going to play,” he said. “When the time comes to make a decision, we'll make a decision. The (coaches) have been really good about it. We'll get together soon and see what they're thinking, what I'm thinking and what's best for the team.”

Kiddwell
10-22-2011, 10:11 PM
Wow, then Kelly's actually considering a redshirt? This's news. Thought he was totally anti-red.

:]

zagzilla
10-22-2011, 10:23 PM
Hadn't heard about the concussion. Hope he's OK

ZZ

HillBillyZag
10-23-2011, 01:05 PM
Meehan seems to indicate that the frontcourt "redshirt" will be K.O. or Spangler? Did Spangler not live up to his hype?, or his potential is excellent and a redshirt year would
let him polish his game to a point that beinga major contributer next season will be more valuable to the program than the limited action he would see in this years deep front line?

04ZagFan
10-23-2011, 01:18 PM
Obviously it's just a scrimmage, but based on what I saw last night, Spangler would be the best candidate for a RS. He got worked by everybody who guarded him, including smaller guys like Mathis and Hart.

sittingon50
10-23-2011, 02:19 PM
I wasn't seeing much from Spangler. Hart gave him a Wilson sandwich under the hoop & he didn't get up & down the court particularly well.

Listening to the post game, Coach Lloyd mentioned that Spangler's legs were shot from practice (all week or the 2 hrs. earlier in the day I don't know). That laid my mind at ease. He was around the rebounds, just didn't have the explosiveness. He'll be fine.

zag67
10-23-2011, 04:55 PM
Also guys/gals remember that Spangler was a multi sport player all through high school. THis is probably the first summer/fall that he has played basketball. The year to mature and play against some of the top big men in the west coast would be super for his career. But like most of us should know that this is the coaches and player talking it over and working out what is best for him (mainly) and the team. Also you have to look at other aspects like "school work" and adjusting. Yes, that is right they still are students.
P.S. I think that he will be great (like Casey or Brockman for UW), we just have to allow him time to adjust.

Baldwinzag
10-24-2011, 05:05 AM
Color me shocked with KO seriously considering a RS year. I thought this was all conjecture and rumor, yet had merit all along. Meehan mentioned it, Olynyk took the question in stride, and it was evident this has been discussed by him and the Coaches. Very interesting to watch this play out and we may find out as early as next week. One thing to note is a player cannot play in an exhibition contest if they intend to utilize a RS year. Only freshman are allowed to log minutes before the season.