PDA

View Full Version : The "Pangos has to start" thread

RockandRollJames
10-22-2011, 04:22 PM
For those of you who were at "Kraziness", it was incredibly obvious that he is our best PG. It wasn't even close. I'm very excited for his career and Few found a good one. Those that were there and don't agree, please leave me your name and I will know not to trust things you post on here.

GUZag08
10-22-2011, 04:27 PM
16 points man did he look good. just looks like a pure point guard. WAY bigger than stockton up close

allbusiness_zag
10-22-2011, 04:31 PM
For those of you who were at "Kraziness", it was incredibly obvious that he is our best PG. It wasn't even close. I'm very excited for his career and Few found a good one. Those that were there and don't agree, please leave me your name and I will know not to trust things you post on here.

How could you say that, RockandRollJames. Stockton forever and always.

:jk:

Baldwinzag
10-22-2011, 04:39 PM
During the post-game interview with Hud & Matt, Coach Tommy Lloyd said(verbatim):

"We keep stats during every single practice & heading into the scrimmage today, Kevin Pangos is the 2nd leading scorer on our team. He does it everyday. This community is really going to love him."

jazzdelmar
10-22-2011, 04:55 PM
obviously. i thought from his tapes and eyewitness accounts like abe's that he was for sure the best p.g. on the team......he and bell will be the faces of the program for four glorious years....

sonuvazag
10-22-2011, 04:57 PM
Glad to hear he played so well. If he brings the most to the table, I say start him.

Zag@LMU
10-22-2011, 04:57 PM
Here is a video of the tip off and Pangos's first three

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXeTjHlZCME

And a video of the introductions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IFvp8iOLcg

ZagNative
10-22-2011, 05:02 PM
Thanks, Zag@LMU! More pics and videos, please!

Larryzag
10-22-2011, 05:03 PM
I'll be surprised if Pangos doesn't start. I thought he would work his way into the starting five eventually but now I think he might start right away.

kylasdad
10-22-2011, 05:03 PM
Jazz,

Why do you have to be so negative, you are such a pessimist.

jazzdelmar
10-22-2011, 05:05 PM
Jazz,

Why do you have to be so negative, you are such a pessimist.

because "our long long national nightmare is over." we have a real point guard. :)

GUZag08
10-22-2011, 05:23 PM
because "our long long national nightmare is over." we have a real point guard. :)

yezzir

kylasdad
10-22-2011, 05:23 PM
It looks like you might be our "pessimist redshirt" for the next 3-4 years. I wonder who will start in your place?

CaliforniaZaggin'
10-22-2011, 05:41 PM
http://www.x-entertainment.com/pics/kool1.jpg

izzjess
10-22-2011, 06:02 PM
i would not say he should start------but-- i would say he should have at least 80% of the minutes at pg....that is all....

GUZag08
10-22-2011, 06:39 PM
i would not say he should start------but-- i would say he should have at least 80% of the minutes at pg....that is all....

what

izzjess
10-22-2011, 06:45 PM
its my way of saying he should start....just to clear that up

TheBunnieRancher
10-22-2011, 07:07 PM
I will say that the only thing that might keeping him from starting from the word go is not knowing GU's offense and, if that is the case, he won't take long to figure things out.

bigblahla
10-22-2011, 07:23 PM
As maybe the staunchest Stocks supporter Burpppp....in these here parts. I want to express Burpppp.... that absolutely Burpppp........ Please forgive me for the gaseous noises emitting Burpppp.... from my digestive track. It's from all the crow I've consumed, feathers and all.

KEVIN PANGOS SHOULD START!!!!!!!!!:000tens::clap::clap:

Kevin Pangos is the real deal. After observing the floor generalship he exhibited there is no logical reason for him not to start.

Stocks will get his spots but Pangos makes whomever he plays with better.

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

zagitup
10-22-2011, 07:31 PM
I will say that the only thing that might keeping him from starting from the word go is not knowing GU's offense and, if that is the case, he won't take long to figure things out.

Not an issue. KP was directing his team with the savvy of a point guard who had worked in this offense for a long time. This guy's BB I.Q. is off the charts. He already well understands Few's offense.

This guy is a beast. He needs to start.

JPtheBeasta
10-22-2011, 08:14 PM
Is there room on the Pangos train? He seems to be a revelation. I would say that's a lot of pressure to put on a guy but everything about him so far suggests he's up to the task. Stockton is pretty good so if he was so much better I am very excited. I can't wait to watch him play.

Psychozag
10-22-2011, 08:24 PM
Since I am sure Few comes here to get the group consensus as to who should start, I also put in a vote for Pangos. Even if he had missed more of his shots, he just looked comfortable and confident out there. I can't wait to see how far he can improve his game. He could be Dan Dickau 2.0.

Bogozags
10-22-2011, 08:26 PM
Here is a video of the tip off and Pangos's first three

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXeTjHlZCME

And a video of the introductions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IFvp8iOLcg

THANKS for the vids!

SunDevilGolfZag
10-22-2011, 09:35 PM

I was at Kraziness and what you say appears true. This guy looks really really good. Strong, quick, smart and a beautiful stroke. Not bashful and digs in on defense. Watching Pangos is going to be so much fun!

ZagsGoZags
10-22-2011, 10:11 PM
It is just a scrimmage folks. Lots of players were playing well but not over the top because they didn't have as much on the line.

Marquise, Elias, even Big Rob played within themselves, good solid ball but not over the top.

Pangos was over the top with effort, and that's good.

David S. did have a lot on the line also, and I am surprised he wasn't more extreme on the effort. But is just a scrimmage and we all know how different things may turn out down the road when all players have been battle tested thoroughly.

I remember watching Gary Peyton's first game in the pros, after coming up from Oregon, and he just focused on defense and assists, only took a few shots when wide open. He did not put in the type of performance that KP did tonight.

I am glad Pangos is here. I have a feeling he plays like this all the time. He is focused and intense. Fantastic.

too early to make a judgment on percentages of playing time for position #1. For all we know Bell may see service at the PG sometimes also.

What I can say is that "so far" he looks like he will earn more PT than DS, but Stocks knows what matters is in the games, not the scrimmage.

04ZagFan
10-22-2011, 10:33 PM
I say this with absolutely NO disrespect to Stockton, because as we saw last year, he can play, but wow. Kevin Pangos is a freaking stud. Starter for sure. I couldn't believe it. I cant wait to see him play against the quick guards against EWU and WSU to really get an idea, but he looked really, really good tonight. Quicker, smoother, better shooter, quicker, faster, quicker, and quicker than I thought he would be. He's going to be the real deal. For the first time since the Raivio departure (I liked Pargo, but he wasn't one of the great GU PGs) I believe the position is in real good hands.

awberke
10-22-2011, 10:52 PM
Quicker, smoother, better shooter, quicker, faster, quicker, and quicker than I thought he would be.

Stop beating around the bush, how was his quickness?

Pargo the Destroyer
10-22-2011, 11:00 PM
They had a 2 hour practice before the kraziness event. Which is why they only went 15 min instead of 20. Fatigue was a factor.

ZagFanInNC
10-22-2011, 11:45 PM
I love what Pangos brings to the table. So impressive.

I actually like Stockton coming off of the bench for some productive minutes better than having to rely on him for long stretches... defensive liablity and all.

Also I keep hearing people talk about how Stockton can dunk... I saw him go about 0-5 in warm ups when he was trying his hardest to throw it down. Can we please stop with all of the shenanigans!

Soooooo excited for this season!!!

titopoet
10-23-2011, 05:44 AM
It is just a scrimmage folks. Lots of players were playing well but not over the top because they didn't have as much on the line.

Marquise, Elias, even Big Rob played within themselves, good solid ball but not over the top.

Pangos was over the top with effort, and that's good.

David S. did have a lot on the line also, and I am surprised he wasn't more extreme on the effort. But is just a scrimmage and we all know how different things may turn out down the road when all players have been battle tested thoroughly.

I remember watching Gary Peyton's first game in the pros, after coming up from Oregon, and he just focused on defense and assists, only took a few shots when wide open. He did not put in the type of performance that KP did tonight.

I am glad Pangos is here. I have a feeling he plays like this all the time. He is focused and intense. Fantastic.

too early to make a judgment on percentages of playing time for position #1. For all we know Bell may see service at the PG sometimes also.

What I can say is that "so far" he looks like he will earn more PT than DS, but Stocks knows what matters is in the games, not the scrimmage.

It wasn't in the numbers with KP. it was the WAY he did his numbers. EH, Sacre, MM, and Cater made plays to score and play defense, but the difference was KP delivered to his post 3- 4 feet from the basket and both Sacre and EH got the ball 10-15 away. This impressed me, getting the ball into the right people hands at the right time. KP shot the ball because he was open, not trying to make a play, or prove himself. (He got open by getting the ball to his 3 and 2, floating to 3, when his man overplayed he got ball bacl and calmly hit the 3. He never forced the action.

It is not the case that DS didn't give a lot of effort. He did. KP just look like Mickey McConell did last year in terms of pace, control and instincts.

It wasn't that he was trying to prove anything, but it came across like a deep confidence of this how he plays all the time.

SunDevilGolfZag
10-23-2011, 06:20 AM
I love what Pangos brings to the table. So impressive.

I actually like Stockton coming off of the bench for some productive minutes better than having to rely on him for long stretches... defensive liablity and all.

Also I keep hearing people talk about how Stockton can dunk... I saw him go about 0-5 in warm ups when he was trying his hardest to throw it down. Can we please stop with all of the shenanigans!

Soooooo excited for this season!!!

Just to set the Stockton dunk thing straight -- maybe he was 1 for 6 because I saw him go up off of 2 feet and indeed slam one down. I was amazed. He did come up a little short on the rest of his dunk attempts.

Reborn
10-23-2011, 06:43 AM
I bellieve that Stockton will be a great role player now. I really like him coming off the bench like he did last year. When he came into the game postive things happened, and he really got the team running. He does have some shortcomings which may keep him from being a starter, but I feel he can contribute and will.

After reading about what you all saw, I feel Pangos can become a very good starting point guard now. I think we are set at that postion. However, he will still need to prove it in real games which begin soon.

I am also quite pleased to hear about Landry-Edi....its giving me a solid picture at the 3 right now with Monninghoff and Edi. They will both contirbute too. Im hoping Edi can become what I had hoped to see in Manny Arop....

cjm720
10-23-2011, 07:01 AM
Exciting news...

NotoriousZ
10-23-2011, 08:53 AM
The point guard who is your best shooter, and loves to pass to the open guy on the court (and does it very well) should start. But how much of the offense does he know at this point?

Knowing Few, Stockton will start in the first game(s). But it doesn't matter...he and Pangos will both get their chances and I don't know how you're going to keep KP off the court in a tight game.

ZagLawGrad
10-23-2011, 10:11 AM
Better to wait and see how the newbies play against someone other than the same guys they've been practicing against.

Tmac5360
10-23-2011, 10:14 AM
I don't want to rain on the parade but who was guarding the kid?
Stocks is not a defensive stopper. I like what pangs did but let's not get
crazy!!

Malastein
10-23-2011, 11:04 AM
I don't want to rain on the parade but who was guarding the kid?
Stocks is not a defensive stopper. I like what pangs did but let's not get
crazy!!

Exactly. Sounds to me exactly why Pangos should start over Stockton.

jazzdelmar
10-23-2011, 11:05 AM
Exactly. Sounds to me exactly why Pangos should start over Stockton.

exactly...about as much choice as among republican candidates..

Virginia Zags Fan
10-23-2011, 12:30 PM
Those that were there and don't agree, please leave me your name and I will know not to trust things you post on here.

One of the funniest initial posts I have seen in a long time.

Zag 77
10-23-2011, 08:47 PM
Before we anoint Pangos, Bell or anybody the next Messiah, let us just slow down the expectations and see how the kids do in some real games, not just a 15 minute "fun scrimmage" to meet the fans.

Malastein
10-23-2011, 10:32 PM
Before we anoint Pangos, Bell or anybody the next Messiah, let us just slow down the expectations and see how the kids do in some real games, not just a 15 minute "fun scrimmage" to meet the fans.

I wouldn't say that Pangos is ready to come be the Dan Dickau we had from day 1, but I think he'll be more solid than we've had in a while. I do believe the position is an upgrade over last year.

Beer_Engineer
10-24-2011, 09:36 AM
Count me in the Pangos must start camp...

zag67
10-24-2011, 10:15 AM
I am in the camp that Pangos needs to play a lot. But I think that in the beginning, he may have Stockton start and allow Kevin to see the pace of the game from the sidelines for 1 or 2 minutes (maybe longer if the "chemistry" is right and the are playing well) and then put him in. But as the season goes on I see Kevin starting.

P.S. the same might be true with Gary Bell.

Baldwinzag
10-24-2011, 10:28 AM
I'm genuinely curious about something...

Was it a coincidence the blue team was:

PG David Stockton
SG Gary Bell Jr
CG Marquise Carter
PF Elias Harris
C Rob Sacre

6th man - Mathis Monninghoff

At first glance, this has the look of a starting lineup, no?

Unsure the Coaches intent with this scrimmage, but the perception appeared it was the 1st Stringers vs their back-ups.

Who knew Pangos, Guy Landry, and Sam Dower would show 'em up this time around.

zag67
10-24-2011, 10:28 AM
Looking at the teams that they had for the scrimmage, there maybe another view of what may happen. In the beginning, the staff might not like to have 2 freshmen in the starting lineup. Stockton would start with (Carter, Bell, Harris and Sacre) and then when they start switching players you bring in Pangos who will do a great job of settling the team and getting the ball movement to the correct teammate. You would have Pangos working more with multiple combinations that might not be as knoweldgable of the plays.

Just think of the coaches meeting rooms and how they are going through all of the combinations and which ones will do the best against which teams. Which ones give them the best mismatches "for the complete" game not just part of the game. Would love to be a fly on the wall (but no fly swatters).

P.S. Sorry Baldwin was typing at the same time.

maynard g krebs
10-24-2011, 10:29 AM
Count me in the Pangos must start camp...

Tents in downtown Spokane till Pangos starts? I'm there- in spirit anyway.

U Zig, I Zag
10-24-2011, 10:53 AM
I am sure they will duke it out in practice. No worries.

http://www.thehackerchickblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/200807TDDSmackdownLittleRascalsBoxing1.jpg

titopoet
10-24-2011, 11:07 AM
I'm genuinely curious about something...

Was it a coincidence the blue team was:

PG David Stockton
SG Gary Bell Jr
CG Marquise Carter
PF Elias Harris
C Rob Sacre

6th man - Mathis Monninghoff

At first glance, this has the look of a starting lineup, no?

Unsure the Coaches intent with this scrimmage, but the perception appeared it was the 1st Stringers vs their back-ups.

Who knew Pangos, Guy Landry, and Sam Dower would show 'em up this time around.

I think that is correct. It it would take a lot to move Few to start a Freshman PG.
However, a lot is happening. KP is picking up the offense quickly. You can tell the staff is beaming over KP. (See Tommy's smile.) They way its going is not if but when KP takes over the reigns. May not be the next few games (exhibition or the first few games), but clearly that is the direction. Though it maybe as soon as the exhibition or WSU game.

I know many point to the Nike summit, as proof that KP is not ready. But lets put that in perspective. A group of international players who hardly had seen each other, much less played or practiced together and don't even speak the same language, play a group of all stars who have grown up playing with and against each other. The internationals had two days of practice to get to know each others game and learn to play with each other. Clearly, the Americans would the edge and the PG, who would trouble communicating basic plays, would not look all that comfortable. The reality is how come the US kids did not blow up the internationals by more. (Bismack Biyombo is really that good.) I am not claiming the KP will be All American his freshman year, only that he is clearly the best option at PG right now.

Zig-Zag
10-24-2011, 11:54 AM
Don't get worried, for political and maturity reasons Stocks will start next couple games before change.

izzjess
10-24-2011, 12:01 PM
yeh ---in the nike summit game, nobody did good on the international team...except the one guy with the weird name that went strait to the nba...

LongIslandZagFan
10-24-2011, 12:19 PM
Don't have an issue with KP starting. that being said... I'll wait to see him against real competition rather than a 20 minute scrimmage after a two hour practice before I decide whether I am on the bandwagon.

maynard g krebs
10-24-2011, 01:25 PM
I thought Pangos did well at the Summit. At least as well as Dickau and Ridnour, my 2 comparisons for him, would have done at the same age. Probably better.

OZZY
10-24-2011, 04:40 PM
I too felt he fared ok at the summit, but another point about the Summit was that you had the top four "elite" guards playing all on the same team. How many of those type of guards will you see on an NCAA D1 team at one time (well, perhaps Kentucky)? Just think how he would have fared if he was on the USA team. He makes other players better around him.

When Kevin played in the Hoops challenge the previous year he excelled, he had better quality team mates who he was more familiar with.

IMHO Kevin plays best within a system and with familiar players who have talent. I expect big things of him even in his freshman year. He isn't afraid of pressure, and he hates to lose. The chemistry developing between Garry and Kevin will lead to great things.

ZagFanInNC
10-24-2011, 07:54 PM
What HS guard would have excelled in the HS Summit game?

All of those US kids have been playing togather in the McDonald's HS AA game, and the 64 other all star games to that point. Every kid on the US team will be in the NBA, not only that but lottery picks. Many of the World team may also be in the NBA eventually, I will agree to that. BUT, when you throw kids togather against the best that have played togather fairly extensively that is expecting a lot.

Wow, I hope that that made sense. Im too tired to word that better.

bigblahla
10-24-2011, 08:50 PM
Don't have an issue with KP starting. that being said... I'll wait to see him against real competition rather than a 20 minute scrimmage after a two hour practice before I decide whether I am on the bandwagon.

Yep LIZF seeing is believing. I didn't believe before I saw it with my own eyes.

By the way that was still pretty good competition, as the other team knows your plays and I'm sure that bragging rights means a little something.

Jazz's wish has been granted.

My question is can the rest of the team play up to his level of execution? If the answer is Yes we are headed to Nirvana. Pangos flowed through the game. He never seemed out of position.

Intelligent defender, a disruptor on defense who plays good help. On offense he controlled the game and did whatever he wanted to. I saw an almost cat like ability to change speed and direction, probably moves he's practiced since grade school.

Wasn't at all impressed with the tape I saw as he looked slow. In person he controls tempo and does what he wants. Drives the paint and makes the right pass in the right spot at the right time. Can create his own shot when he wants to. Pristine outside shot, effortless. He will eventually demand a double team and at that point the bigs will feast as the young man can pass the rock.

Once again we are Guard U.

High praise for a newbie, absolutely, but if you were there then you know it's well deserved.

WE'RE BACK!!!!! :clap::cheers::clap:

Just my opinion. ( But not just mine) :D

Go!! Zags!!!

hockeyzag
10-24-2011, 08:57 PM
Love the post bigblahla

Larryzag
10-24-2011, 09:24 PM
I just posted videos of almost the whole scrimmage. See for yourself!

Reborn
10-25-2011, 07:49 PM
I would have liked to see the score if Pangos had started for the blue team.... Blues win by 2-1. It has been mentioned in the past how Elias profitted from the great ball handling of Matt Bouldin, as well as his shooting. Pangos can fill the role that Matt played. Matt, as I remember, was so great because he held teams at bay. He was a good enough outside shooter to make his opponent play up on him, and he definitely had one on one moves, and maybe where we missed Matt the most was his passing. I will never forget his game against North Carolina when we beat them handly. Yes. Matt was a freshman. I believe Pangos is a better 3 pt shooter than Matt. And I think he has better players down low. Matt had Elias as a Freshman. Pangos will have him as a Junior. I was wondering how Elias could make All American. The answer is Pangos, and perhaps Edi-Landry.

Pangos will start....

Baseline
10-25-2011, 08:28 PM
I'm as excited about the potential we are seeing in Pangos, I just hope we don't push too fast and put him in tough situations to early. The last thing we need is for him to lose his confidence. Some people seem to step up no matter what. Everything in do time.

bigblahla
10-26-2011, 06:09 AM
I will just add...Who is defending Pangos after a two hour pracitice?

Make Pangos our starter for fun, now look at the schedule and look at who will be defending him. Please give the kid a break! It ain't going to be that easy. There is hard work ahead for him. Yes! We love having him here. He could be one of our great PG's, but be fair to him. He needs time to develop at the next level.

All good points.

Kevin Pangos will have his bad days and his banes, all players do. What I saw said here is a young man who will not get flustered and can adjust on the fly.

Not many of us had confidence in our starting point guard last season. After seeing Pangos in person and I was a doubter, my doubts are gone.

As far as hard work goes read-up on his training regimen and practice habits that have lead up to where he is. It's not hard work if you have a passion and that is how I would describe his game. Kevin Pangos has a deep passion for basketball.

It's a coaches decision but the time will come when it is the obvious choice.

It will be sooner than later.

Go!! Zags!!!

ZagLawGrad
10-26-2011, 02:09 PM
It took me a couple of months last season to accept that DS is one tough hombre with some good basketball savvy who can play at a pretty high level. I'm comfortable with him starting and sharing some playing time.

Therunner
10-26-2011, 06:36 PM
As someone close the program recently said to me:

"he has many of the strengths of Stockton and fewer of the weaknesses."

'nuff said.

jazzdelmar
10-27-2011, 08:59 AM
i think in a few months this whole thread will look silly in retrospect...

Baldwinzag
10-27-2011, 09:01 AM
i think in a few months this whole thread will look silly in retrospect...

I was just thinking the same thing about all the red-shirt threads...