PDA

View Full Version : Kraziness in the Kennel: Attendees Please Post

BobZag
10-20-2011, 05:12 PM
I'll leave the inflatables to Woohoo. ;)

SPOKANE, Wash. (October 20, 2011 – http://www.gozags.com) – There will be something for every age group Saturday when Gonzaga University and Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory, Spokane, team up to bring "Kraziness in the Kennel" to the McCarthey Athletic Center as the 2011-12 edition of the Bulldog men's basketball team will be introduced.

The festivities inside the McCarthey Athletic Center will start at 4 p.m. with the doors opening at 3 p.m. The event is free to the public with seating available on a first-come, first serve basis. The event is also being held concurrently with Fall Family Weekend on the Gonzaga campus.

But the lawn on the south side of the McCarthey Athletic Center will be abuzz with activities from noon-3 p.m. Activities planned for families and children on the lawn include:

*Inflatable Monster Basketball Game

*Inflatable Bounce House

*Inflatable Soccer Goal

*Confections by Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory, Spokane

*Free Rollabana’s from Numerica

*Free Hair Dying/Streaking by Supercuts

*Free Schedule Posters and Schedule Cards

*Appearances by the Gonzaga Cheerleaders and Spike

*Kimmel Athletic Supply Booth Selling Bulldog Merchandise

**Autograph Session From 1:30-2:30 p.m. feature KHQ-TV/SWX Broadcast Analysts and Former Bulldogs Dan Dickau and Richard Fox

*Music Provided By 1510 KGA Radio With Remotes by The Lockerroom Host Toby Howell

“All of these activities are family friendly,” said Kris Kassel, general manager of Gonzaga IMG Sports Marketing. “With Fall Family Weekend on the Gonzaga campus this just adds another dimension to the host of activities going on around campus.

One lucky fan will have a chance to win $10,000 at Kraziness in the Kennel. To be eligible for the $10,000, fans must visit the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory at 506 N. Sullivan in the Spokane Valley or their new location on the main level of River Park Square in downtown Spokane by the end of business Friday and pick up a coupon to be deposited in the drop box at "Kraziness in the Kennel." One name will be drawn with that fan getting the chance to win $10,000.

The Gonzaga radio network will also air a 90-minute season preview show from 3:30-5 p.m. live on 1510 KGA in Spokane from the McCarthey Athletic Center with the voice of the Bulldogs Tom Hudson and second-year analyst Matt Santangelo courtside.

northsidezagfan
10-20-2011, 06:28 PM
First dibs on streaking...

MDABE80
10-20-2011, 08:28 PM
TV? I thought so but can anyone confirm?...or deny?

ZagNative
10-20-2011, 08:29 PM
TV? I thought so but can anyone confirm?...or deny?I thought there was no TV coverage this year ....

Zig-Zag
10-20-2011, 10:43 PM
There will be plenty of seats. No TV. Doors for open seating at 3pm. Being in line 2 to 2:30 plenty of time. Event starts at 4pm.:cheers:

EuroZag2010
10-20-2011, 11:14 PM
I'll be there by 1 wanna make sure I get in on all that goodness :)

gozagswoohoo
10-21-2011, 06:30 AM
I'll leave the inflatables to Woohoo. ;)

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me they will have the one with the big slide!!!!

LOOOOOOOOOOOVE bounce houses!!!

cggonzaga
10-21-2011, 06:48 AM
I showed up 20 minutes before the start last year and couldn't get in the doors. You'll want to get there early.

RenoZag
10-21-2011, 06:52 AM
I'm looking forward to reading the first-hand eyewitness impressions of the noobs. This year could turn out to be a special one. . .

I'll be there in spirit.

ZagnetitForce
10-21-2011, 10:02 AM
It will be a great time...can't wait!

Zagdawg
10-21-2011, 10:07 AM
Fired up--Go Zags!!!

CaliforniaZaggin'
10-21-2011, 02:18 PM
First dibs on streaking...

Bring your green hat.

ID ZAGFAN
10-21-2011, 07:57 PM
Mr. ID and I will be there. Look for me in the (surprise) red hoodie and 2 pony tails.

I can hardly wait!

ZaGranny

cvzag79
10-21-2011, 11:16 PM
Already in line and first for the second year in a row!

bigblahla
10-22-2011, 04:14 AM
Already in line and first for the second year in a row!

Woke up at 4am couldn't go back to sleep.

Mrs.blahla says I'm like a kid with a new toy, it's basketball season at GU.

Your fandom is impressive however me thinks the blahla's will arrive twoish. I know fashionably late by comparison but early enough to share GU camaraderie while standing in line discussing this years squad and the tourney in Vegas with those around us.

It's almost time! :D:cheers::clap:

Go!! Zags!!!

GhostZag
10-22-2011, 09:35 AM
So excited. Last year we got front row seats. I just love to see the reaction of the newbies as they take the floor for the first time, in front of 6000 fired up Zag fans. Their interview reactions after are classic :D

Oregon Zag
10-22-2011, 09:48 AM
We're in Spo! It's raining pretty steadily and I didn't bring a raincoat. May be time for a trip to the bookstore to see what they have.

zagmantis2001
10-22-2011, 10:55 AM
Despite the rain already 20 or so die hard fans (or nut jobs, including me) here today.

zag buddy
10-22-2011, 12:45 PM
For all of you fortunate to attend please post all your thoughts here to share with the rest of us who can't attend. Thanks GoZags

Mods please delete if appropriate.

GPGUgrad
10-22-2011, 01:00 PM
Those of you who are there now, how big is the line?

ZagZombie
10-22-2011, 01:32 PM
I'm gonna guess I'm somewhere between 800-1000 spot in line

GPGUgrad
10-22-2011, 01:39 PM
I'm gonna guess I'm somewhere between 800-1000 spot in line

Thanks!!!!

I hope we can make it, last year we were turned down. We are just waiting for our ride! Hope she gets here soon.

Kiddwell
10-22-2011, 02:04 PM
Video, too, would be nice.

:]

EuroZag2010
10-22-2011, 02:32 PM
It's almost full :) fun atmosphere !!

Baldwinzag
10-22-2011, 03:04 PM
They are gonna kick things off with player introductions then a 3 pt contest prior to 15 minute scrimmage.

Who wins the 3pt shoot out?

My bet is Kevin Pangos takes the cake. He's already won the 3pt contest in practice by hitting 21 3-pointers in 60 seconds, next closest was Hoff with 16. He might be a little nervous, yet I'm going Pangos, Hoff, & Carter as the Top-3. Bell Jr not far behind or tie.

Those in attendance, please be sure to keep track!

Who do you guys think will win it??

Sounds like its 10 sec rounds? That's too fast!

Baldwinzag
10-22-2011, 03:30 PM
Kevin Pangos has 9 of the red team's first 11 points and he threw an alley-oop for the other 2 pts.

He's accounted for every single point thus far for his team.

Oh ya, he's 3-3 from 3pt and has yet to hit the rim.

Commands attention and presence on the court!

They said he's running the team to perfection and not afraid to shoot.

11-11 tie. Elias Harris & Sacre leading the way for the Blue team so far.

Baldwinzag
10-22-2011, 03:34 PM
Where is Olynyk?

Hmmm....

Baldwinzag
10-22-2011, 03:37 PM
Monninghoff 2-3 from 3pt. Elias looking athletic on offense & defense. Much more bouncy than last season.

Guy Edi can fly!

Keita & Sarbaugh just checked in for each team.

Baldwinzag
10-22-2011, 03:40 PM
Sammy D hasn't scored a ton outta the gate, yet very active on the boards, blocking shots, hitting hook shots, a big dunk, talking smack, etc...

The offense is running through him. Good sign.

Pangos draws the fouls and hits a FT. He's already in double-digits with a couple of assists.

20-19 Red Team.

JohnOGU
10-22-2011, 03:45 PM
Kevin Pangos has 9 of the red team's first 11 points and he threw an alley-oop for the other 2 pts.

He's accounted for every single point thus far for his team.

Oh ya, he's 3-3 from 3pt and has yet to hit the rim.

Commands attention and presence on the court!

They said he's running the team to perfection and not afraid to shoot.

11-11 tie. Elias Harris & Sacre leading the way for the Blue team so far.

How is Pangos' defense?

EuroZag2010
10-22-2011, 03:45 PM
Kevin looks good has 16 of the red 26 and Edi is very strong also looks good

Baldwinzag
10-22-2011, 03:47 PM
Spangler making a couple nice moves in the post, yet 1-5 from the field.

Pangos making sure he touches the ball off the swing. It seems KP has a great feel for where his teammates are on the floor.

Gary Bell very aware in the full-court and blows by everyone in transition.

Pangos is 5 of 6 from the field with 15 pts(the radio guys said 13 but they missed his FT!)

Pangos has hit 3/4 3pt shots, 1/1 mid-range, 1/1 sweet move, 2/2 FT. He looks like he belongs and then some...dare I say he is the best guard on the floor?

Kevin isn't forcing anything either, not hogging shots, just hitting them when open. He is passing and racking up assists as well.

The game seems to come easy to him.

JohnOGU
10-22-2011, 03:49 PM
defense, defense, defense??? How is it looking?

TheZagPhish
10-22-2011, 03:51 PM
Thanks Baldwin.

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

530ZAG
10-22-2011, 03:52 PM

Haha I agree. Glad to hear Pangos is settling in on offense, but who is he guarding? Stockton? (Hoping for that matchup to see how Pangos stacks up).

Baldwinzag
10-22-2011, 03:58 PM

Too much ball movement and understanding of the offense by both teams to grasp any sort of defense. No one has really stood out nor been exposed.

Sam Dower has played tough Defense on Sacre and those two are battling more than any other...Kyle Dranginis seems to be struggling the most holding his own -- has 3 personals already.

Dower might be out most talented offensive player on this team -- calls for the ball, quick moves, scoring touch, etc. His defense last season was lacking, yet looking strong and quick vs Sacre. Rob hasn't had an easy bucket all night, well maybe his first bucket.

Kevin Pangos has broken down the blue team(Stockton, Harris, Sacre, et al) by himself, so that says something.

Pretty smart play overall. A 15-min scrimmage vs your own team is tough to gauge defensive skills...

Gary Bell getting a run at PG right now. Initial impression is he doesn't seem as natural as Pangos at the position. He seems more comfortable running down the court on transition and moving w/o the ball.

Pangos just blew by Gary Bell Jr and made a sweet pass to Guy Landry who got too cute with the ball. Should have been yet ANOTHER assist for Pangos...

Bottom line, Pangos and Dower are hands down the most impressive in this game. Everyone else just doing their thing and playing solid.

JohnOGU
10-22-2011, 04:03 PM
Good to hear...Just hoping Pangos doesnt have a huge issue with guarding larger, more athletic guards.

Baldwinzag
10-22-2011, 04:12 PM
37-33 red team wins.

David Stockton hit a 3pt with 10 seconds remaining for his only pts, I believe.

With 6 seconds left, Pangos flew down the court and had to be held/fouled by David Stockton from scoring AGAIN...they called a foul on Stockton but the group decided to 'call' the game. Game over.

They only went for 15 mins. They used to run for 20 minutes. Oh well.

I believe Kevin Pangos ended with 16 points, 2 assists in 15 mins. Dower next in line...

The radio guys kept mis-quoting the stat lines for each team. To be expected.

Nice showing by the young & new guys.

Loved the versatile game of Guy Landry -- hit a 3, made an alley oop, had a couple nice passes, hustled down the court, played tough defense, etc.

Based on early scrimmage, the Coaches WANT Kevin Pangos running the offense when he's on the floor, yet kinda played with the "non-starting" group, imo. Still to be determined, but they want him being THE PG.

I was skeptical about Guy Landry yet he's just too valuable not to log playing time this season.

Some people compared him to Ira!. The only relation is their off-the-charts athleticism yet it ends there. He has a good shot, nice feel for the game, and can make some moves with the ball. He'll be in the 10-11 man rotation for sure. Bank on it.

Elias was hit-and-miss, but seem to play in bursts. Had a good 2 mins here, disappeared for a few mins, then picked up intensity for another 2 mins, etc

I realize its just a scrimmage, yet we need consistent effort/focus/hustle and I believe when things get going, he'll be the guy.

To be honest, Elias probably would have looked better with a Pangos at the helm. Stockton didn't really swing the ball or run the offense much. Other players on his team were moving it more than he was this game. Happy he hit the shot at the end of the game.

Pangos was making sure his teammates were involved...giving Dower several touches, Spangler a few, realized Ryan was struggling a bit, so made sure Guy Landry got the ball. Such as smart player. You can honestly just sense his awareness. He's a step above, imo.

Fun times.

Will be interesting...

EuroZag2010
10-22-2011, 04:13 PM
I recorded quite a bit I will be posting ASAP once I get home and edit !!

Malastein
10-22-2011, 04:18 PM
Does this mean that Pangos will likely be starting as the point guard this season? Sounds like he had a much more impressive game than Stockton...

GUZag08
10-22-2011, 04:19 PM
now

530ZAG
10-22-2011, 04:20 PM
In post game interview, Coach Lloyd said Pangos' performance was solid. He also said Pangos has been 2nd leading scorer in practice up to this point (they keep stats when they go live). Nothing but great things to say about him. Good stuff!!

Baldwinzag
10-22-2011, 04:23 PM
During the interview with Hud & Matt, Tommy Lloyd just said(verbatim):

"We keep stats during every single practice & heading into the scrimmage today, Kevin Pangos is the 2nd leading scorer on our team. He does it everyday. This community is really going to love him."

Honestly, don't want to get into a PG debate here, yet how DON'T you play this kid early and often? Coach Lloyd seemed to hint at, 'you're gonna be seeing a lot of the kid this season'.

Ya know, he was offered by Notre Dame, Michigan, UNLV, Temple, & Virginia for good reason.

He was THE best player tonight and not just his shooting but passing, ball-handling, running the offense, moves, awareness, etc.

530ZAG
10-22-2011, 04:24 PM
Where is Olynyk?

Hmmm....

Coach Lloyd also said that KO had a minor concussion ("nothing crazy") in practice...so they held him out of the scrimmage. Elias had a tight hammy as well, so he was going to sit, but felt good warming up so they let him play.

This is all from the post-game interview on http://www.1510kga.com/

Baldwinzag
10-22-2011, 04:30 PM
Does this mean that Pangos will likely be starting as the point guard this season? Sounds like he had a much more impressive game than Stockton...

Its not really about this 15-min scrimmage but rather what is happening in practice.

Coach Lloyd said they aren't surprised by Pangos play and still waiting for Gary Bell to have 'Pangos' type performances. He went on to say Kevin has had the most positive stats of ANY player in Fall Camp overall and is already our 2nd leading scorer on the team. Tommy said he does it 'everyday' and in every 'practice'. Its like we see it -- Spangler has struggled a bit and fatigued. Gary Bell has break out moments, but no consistency. Dranginis is maturing very slowly but will be a player. However, KP is a head of everyone from the sound of it. BTW, his off-the-court IQ is just as impressive as his bball IQ. Heard he's unbelievably smart kid. Santangelo eluded to this and heard the same from a teammate.

Following the scrimmage, Dower and Pangos were most impressive, followed by Sacre doing his thing and Monninghoff confident in his shot.

They did say Olynyk has a slight concussion yet will be just fine and Elias Harris is dealing with a nagging injury of some sort -- I think they said hamstring, but not 100% sure.

Vanzagger
10-22-2011, 04:41 PM
let's play the guy who scored the most. Remember how many guys lost their confidence last season because Few did that.

Having said that, Pangos is going to play a ton and make teams pay. But let's be a little more proactive.

sofa king
10-22-2011, 05:11 PM
Pangos is a stud. He ran the offense like he's been doing it for years and he played good D.

Dranginis did not look as skinny as I thought he would. I think he will be fine, but seemed a bit off. Did not seem shy handling the ball.

Bell looks great but I think he might have been a bit nervous. Really tough to judge what he did. Made the final of the 3 pt contest because the "student" they brought in (who had an ugly shot) made 3 treys.

Spangler is going to take some time to adjust to the speed/size of the game he is in. Looks pretty good for potential, though

Not sure about Edi. He hit his free throws at least.

FlyZag
10-22-2011, 05:46 PM
let's play the guy who scored the most. Remember how many guys lost their confidence last season because Few did that.

Having said that, Pangos is going to play a ton and make teams pay. But let's be a little more proactive.

From my vantage point it was clear that D. Stockton couldn't guard Pangos. And that has been one of the issues regarding Stocktons game. Liability on defense. DS pushes & sees the floor so well. Feeds the post with the best of them... but at times is just too small to be considered a decent defender. And that is what we saw today. KP took advantage of the size mis-match and dominated DS. He caught DS out of position for open 3's, got him to bite on several fakes and even juked him for a nice spin layup.

On the otherside KP shut down DS. Could have been an above average night for KP and a down night for DS.. Either way, it was clear to me that DEFENSIVELY KP is the real deal. He was in position, moved his feet. As good as it was to see KP put up 16 pts and 2+ assists.. I was impressed most with his DEFENSE.

ZagNative
10-22-2011, 05:52 PM
The review is in from GBJ:
GBell_5 Gary Bell Jr.
Kraziness in the kenel was off the chain!! The kennel club gotta be the best in the nation #realtalk
8 minutes ago

izzjess
10-22-2011, 05:55 PM
was impressed of course with kp....and with gbj speed...dower looked sweet--morningoff looked more confident...and guy will be just fine..

zagray
10-22-2011, 06:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEGxNPvDe5o

Baldwinzag
10-22-2011, 06:07 PM
KP took advantage of the size mis-match and dominated DS.

Everyone should be sure to read through the posts above to be sure to get a feel for the scrimmage.

At one point, David Stockton literally grabbed a hold of Kevin Pangos to slow him down. He was called for the foul, yet it was later waived off. It was a sign that KP is all-business on the court and everyone had a tough time containing him, which I did not expect at all. There was one occasion where Pango toasted Gary Bell Jr on his way to making a sweet pass to Guy Landry. Kevin made sure everyone on his team touched the ball and were active in the half-court. This is an a-mazing sign, imo. More so than his shooting. He was the complete PG.

He knows his teammates position better than they know themselves and could have easily had 3 or 4 more assists if his teammates(Spangler especially) could have converted his passes. IF anything, he wasn't lucky this game, but borderline unlucky. He could have easily scored 20 pts if he wanted to and anyone in attendance would say the same, plus many more assists. He was that in command of his team. He was THE guy whom others looked at, searched for, and watched on defense. Yes, he's just a a freshman, but he's the real-deal in every sense of the term.

As mentioned above, I was also impressed with Guy Landry and Hoff. I do get the feeling Guy looked good for two reasons: 1. his elite athleticism and feel for the game 2. b/c Kevin Pangos was his PG.

Kevin creates and makes shots. Pretty simple formula for success at D1.

Also, Sam Dower continued to shine. God, I would hate to be a Coach on this team reading all the Naimaith Award lists, Wooden lists, ESPN talking head, NBA projections, b/c at the end of the day, Sam Dower might be better than Elias Harris. Its just the way it seems to be. Sam is more reliable scorer, imho. I also like the fact Sam was the ONLY player talking to his guard and telling them to "get him the ball" and really fighting for position on offense and defense. In many ways, Dower dominated Sacre on defense or at least made it tough for Big Rob to get his shot off and took it to him on defense. Hell, if Rob has a tough time stopping Dower from scoring than so will anyone in the Country.

Dower deserved 25-30 mins a game. Find a way to get it done, Coaches. He's oozing with more talent than any of our hype-associated players. We saw it last season and its only become more apparent. IF Coach Few plays him sparingly in honor of his loyalty, I will forever doubt our regime, b/c he's clearly that good...

ZagNative
10-22-2011, 06:18 PM
Thanks, BaldwinZag! Appreciate your analysis.

KP weighs in on the event:
KPangos Kevin Pangos
Whatta event, Kennel was poppin! I had chills comin out of the tunnel... Our team appreciates all the support #midnightmadness #zags
3 minutes ago

Ekrub
10-22-2011, 06:25 PM
I attended but saw very little of the game due to my one year old girl wanting to run around and show everybody her cool Gonzaga cheerleader outfit. Apologies to anyone who had to dodge her ;) from what I saw, pangos and bell Jr. Are legit.

zagray
10-22-2011, 06:32 PM
UP UP and Away!

Demetri Awesome
10-22-2011, 06:41 PM
I recorded quite a bit I will be posting ASAP once I get home and edit !!

So did you head to the bars instead?

thickman1
10-22-2011, 06:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEGxNPvDe5o

Why can't folks figure out if you wear a bright teal colored shirt in the KC area you'll look like a total tool? Totally ruins the flow with the video.

zagray
10-22-2011, 06:51 PM
Nice baseline fade!

JohnOGU
10-22-2011, 06:52 PM
So did you head to the bars instead?

+1

TheBunnieRancher
10-22-2011, 07:02 PM
Much like last year, this looked like the 2nd unit against the 1st. This time the 2nd unit won mainly on the back of KP. After watching CVS on the girl's team last year from the 1st game to the last, KP gave a Courtney-like performance. I don't care whether DS or KP starts because Kevin will make sure the 2nd unit is not a drop off from the 1st. KP matched up against DS and GBJ on defense during the game and seemed to shut Stockton down and hold his own againts GBJ. He was even directing a teammate on defense about a switch off when the blue team tried run a screen against him. As reported this summer, Spangler does have a nose for the ball after shots. Tommy Lloyd stated on the post game show that Spangler was having problems with his shot because his legs were tired after a week of practice. I'm sure there will be some that will be glad to hear there was a fair amount of pressing in this scrimmage as well and that Pangos, Bell and even Dranginis like to get up in their opponents grill on defense. Parting shot...Coach Lloyd said that Edi works hard, is a student of the game and wants to know how to play the game "the right way."

zagray
10-22-2011, 07:03 PM
Pretty good handles, but Pangos is the next great Zag point guard. He looks impressive!

Zerogame
10-22-2011, 07:07 PM
Lunch bucket
Blue collar
Elbows and ####oles
Men at work!

There was not a freshman in the game; these kids are mature confident hard nosed players. It was a workman like, solid, tough scrimmage. No showboating, 12 young men who can come in and contribute.
I have no idea how good they can be, but I'm sure they will never be run out of the gym.

zagitup
10-22-2011, 07:17 PM
Just got home, so the post is a little late...

We came into the MAC and took the concourse around to the left, dropped down, and ended up sitting on the first row right behind the red team bench! What a great experience....

I've got lots of photos on my phone... wish I knew how to post them :P

Just one word (name)to say- PANGOS! Not only was he a scoring machine for the red team, but in addition:

1) He CAN play defense. Not only was he disuptive and glued to both Stocks and Bell when he guarded them, but he kept his hands up and moving, which allowed him to deflect passes a number of times. He showed a veteran-like awareness of the passing lanes, and was extremely active and quick of foot, even away from the ball.

2) He exhibited the confidence and poise of an upperclassman- he didn't let the emotion generated by the crowd and the bright lights affect him. His game face was definitely on.

3) He WAS his team's leader on the floor. He was vocal on both ends of the court, and wasn't shy about taking charge when one of his freshman (or his upperclass) teammates were confused or out of position.

4) The best move of the scrimmage happened on our end of the floor, when KP head-faked Stocks, reversed direction with the ball, and drove to the hoop for a lay-in. While it may have made JS look bad, it said much more about the savvy and speed of Kevin.

Before today, I was completely in favor of Stocks being our starting PG... now, not so sure. Pangos is a stud.

One more cool thing was being so close that we could hear the time-out instructions being given by Giacoletti to the red team. This was not some laid-back kind of exhibition game... these guys were playing to win!

Thanks to Zag Granny for making our time waiting in line so enjoyable... you're awesome ZG!

northsidezagfan
10-22-2011, 07:29 PM
Thanks everyone for the updates!!!!!!!! I love hearing all the reports about KP and the rest of the Zags! Can't wait til the 28th!

Just found a highlight video here on http://www.gozags.com/

bigblahla
10-22-2011, 07:35 PM
Pangos, Landry and Dower.

Keita played well for his brief appearance, and MM played some D to go with the Stroke.

I left my heartfelt comment on the official Pangos thread.

Spangler is not used to the speed or athleticism but he is a gamer and will get there.

Bell Jr is all stud, hope he stays for four like Pargo.

Dranginis can play.

This was a much better scrimmage than the last couple as there was some good D inside and out.

Talent wise we are the class of the WCC.

But we're not the best TEAM......Yet.

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

RenoZag
10-22-2011, 07:42 PM
Many thanks for the reports from today's festivities ! Those of us in the hinterlands rely on the observations of folks who see the team in person during the initial stages of the season and it is greatly appreciated.

I'm looking forward to seeing the boys on the telly in a few weeks; sounds like there's a great mix of young talent and veteran presence.

Cheers !

titopoet
10-22-2011, 07:44 PM
Where is Olynyk?

Hmmm....

Bad rumor is that he broke five ribs. I repeat that this is a only a rumor. I heard more, but it being unconfirmed, I will not repeat it.

RenoZag
10-22-2011, 07:50 PM
In another thread, it was mentioned that KO had suffered a mild concussion in practice this week. . .

zagitup
10-22-2011, 07:51 PM
Bad rumor is that he broke five ribs. I repeat that this is a only a rumor. I heard more, but it being unconfirmed, I will not repeat it.

When we went through the autograph line after the scrimmage, I asked Kelly why he didn't play, and he said simply, "I bumped my head", which got a chuckle out of his teammates sitting nearby. I jokingly asked if he bumped it on the rim, and he laughed out loud and said, "I wish".

He looked and acted fine.... no glazed eyes or weird facial twitches :) I suspect he'll be back in no time.

Baldwinzag
10-22-2011, 07:51 PM

Speaking of the devil, just heard he possibly cracked a few ribs and hit his head, but no concussion is confirmed. He was literally flipped upside down while guarding Sam Dower during practice...these guys are "in it to win it" this season and very competitive during practices. They go 100% all the time. Great sign. Also, heard Elias Harris is pushing/playing through an injury of some sort...

Pargo the Destroyer
10-22-2011, 07:53 PM
Concussed, per his twitter account, and coaches revelations.

Pargo the Destroyer
10-22-2011, 07:55 PM
Speaking of the devil, just heard he possibly cracked a few ribs and hit his head, but no concussion is confirmed. He was literally flipped upside down while guarding Sam Dower during practice...these guys are "in it to win it" this season and very competitive during practices. They go 100% all the time. Great sign. Also, heard Elias Harris is pushing/playing through an injury of some sort...

Tommy said tweaked hammy.

titopoet
10-22-2011, 08:01 PM
I echo all that has been said about KP. I would love to see what EH and Sacre do with him running the show. KP had the best Basketball IQ since Matt, he brought out the ball to reset the offense, controlled the flow. On rebounds and inbounds he placed himself in the right spots then pushed the ball with his head up looking for the next play. What really impressed, was how he did not force anything, the passes crisp and in the right spot.

On defense, he was a revelation. He played smart D, getting into passing lanes. He played very cagy D. A pest. By the end of night DS was so frustrated (Sacre at one point towards the end, had his arm around DS and gave him a heart to heart trying to settle him down). He held KP by the shirt not once, on three different occasions.

Carter play very well as well.

Pargo the Destroyer
10-22-2011, 08:19 PM
If there is anything to say about Stocks it's that I would never count him down or out. He was a huge underdog last season to see the court and look what he did, he played very well and was a huge part of the overall success. Him playing against, and getting beat up a little by KP will only help him, and the team this season.

I wish I could have made it today but the sick bug has taken over. I was relegated to the couch and is almost tired of watching football.....almost.

MickMick
10-22-2011, 08:19 PM
Just got back from Spokane.

I have not read any posts so that they may not influence what I write.

I came away from the exhibition thinking:

1) The level of overall guard play has taken a quantum leap.
2) The Zags are going to be very good this year.
3) Dower is much better at positioning himself on the defensive end. He is gonna be a great player for GU.
4) For the first time in three years, the Zags can score from every position.
5) Their is little or no drop off between the first and second units. Pangos, Landry and Dower carried the Red team over what we all considered would be the starting five.

Pangos is the real deal. Landry is going to be a presence. This will be the best Zag team since the team that won the Old Spice Classic. Possibly better.

Therunner
10-22-2011, 08:25 PM
keep in mind, Pangos was running the "bench" team, while Stockton had the luxury of Elias, Rob, and Marquise by his side.

Pangos made the "6th-10th men" look like the better team...it starts and ends with the PG.

No one seemed to mention this earlier...

CDC84
10-22-2011, 08:29 PM
Expect a lot of bumps and bruises. It always happens the first few weeks of practice. Everyone is going at it hard. Playing time is going to be tough to come by.

FlyZag
10-22-2011, 08:36 PM
keep in mind, Pangos was running the "bench" team, while Stockton had the luxury of Elias, Rob, and Marquise by his side.

Pangos made the "6th-10th men" look like the better team...it starts and ends with the PG.

Scoreboard said they just didn't "look" like the better team.

Baldwinzag
10-22-2011, 08:38 PM
Scoreboard said they just didn't "look" like the better team.

yep, pangos' 16 pts & 3 assists had something to say about the outcome...NCAA D1 hoops is a guards' game when its all said 'n done.

gamagin
10-22-2011, 08:47 PM

sh!tsquad over the years, it's not difficult to disrupt the starters.

There's little pressure, it's easy to relax and either play the plays or just try and get them out of their game, which usually involves knowing what is being tried in the way of making a play. Everyone knows the plays. I would have loved to have the Kraziness be the first two hours the team scrimmaged before the exhibition. THAT, I believe, would be more telling.

No one has mentioned this either. Stocks was pretty good at doing this when he was behind Meech. The real tests for both young men, meantime, are ahead.

Not trying to take anything away from KP. He had a fabulous debut. I'm thrilled for him and for our team that he is on it. He's the new kid on the block and he's conducted himself like he's been around longer than his fellow freshmen. Tonight anyway.

But like he and the others said in the KREM raw footage, they are all making each other better Zags, and PK added he didn't make too much of this scrimmage. I agree.

Whether he takes the starting job or not, he's well on his way to earning serious p.t. and showed flashes of savvy & brilliance, by all accounts. And that is real clear.

Timeout!
10-22-2011, 08:48 PM
Wasn't the last true Freshman to score double-digits in a "Midnight Madness" scrimmage Adam Morrison? Just sayin'...its just a scrimmage but generally a good sign if your 18 yr old Frosh is scoring 16 pts(in 15 mins) vs your Starting five.

Coach Lloyd said he wasn't surprised in the least that Pangos did so well and still waiting for the rest of the new guys to rise to his level in practice. Coach Few acted like he had a lucky shooting night or something...goodnesss, our Coach gives us so little sometimes...I'm OK with the results, but would love a little more from him...unless its Jim Rome or Andy Katz, he's such a debbie downer...ugh.

Reborn
10-22-2011, 09:10 PM
Thanks for for the posts from everyone who attended the game. It's good to see that Mick Mick has postive things to say because I think he had some serious doubts about the team (he still may). I agree completely with what Jazz says about the point guard play over the last couple years. I'm thrilled to read everything I have read about Kevin Pangos. Gonzaga has had so many great ones over the years, and it is going to be thrilling to say that again. I've been one who has believed in Kevin from the beginning. He has played against older veterans for a few years now while playing for his country during the summers. He did quite well at that level of play.

I am also excited to read about the improvement in our 3 point shooting. That will be a big key for the Zags this year. Good to see Monninghoff and pangos hitting all those 3's.

I also liked what I read about Guy Landry-Edi. I can hardly wait to see him play. 8 points and 3 assists is pretty darn good. I liked what coaches said about him being a good student of the game.

The other thing that has really caught my attention is that almost all the good stuff that was said was about our second team. To me that was the most promising thing I have gotten out of this thread.....The fact that our freshman are doing so well will really make the Zags a tough foe.....

ZagsGoZags
10-22-2011, 09:25 PM
Could it be
that all the 3
we need to see
is Landry ???
maybe
probableee

Zag365
10-22-2011, 09:26 PM
surprised there was no mention of him (that I saw) in the K-in-the-K threads or interviews. As a senior I thought he'd get some attention if for no other reason than his perspective on this year's team.

gozagswoohoo
10-22-2011, 09:38 PM
All in all, a great day. PMTA

ZaGranny

Sounds like it!!

That's cool that you got to chat with some of the guys too.

Thanks all for the thoughts and descriptions, I say this ever season, but I HONESTLY think this now...I cannot remember the last time I was THIS pumped for a season, and I REALLY, REALLY think we have a special team...we are gonna do some damage!! And it's gonna be FUN!

Timeout!
10-22-2011, 09:43 PM
Could it be
that all the 3
we need to see
is Landry ???
maybe
probableee

As most predicted, he'll receive serious playing time...a player with his attributes would be logging PT at ANY school. He flew under the radar during his JUCO days, yet was receiving serious recruiting interest from Mizzou, Okie St, Wichita St, & Mich St...we jumped in early and snagged him. Not to mention he's an overseas product and wasn't eligible out of HS. Its the perfect storm. He'll be primed and ready to be an enforcer on offense & defense for us. His strength, shots, and athleticism will not be ignored, especially w/our team this season. Coach Few & Co shared a similar sentiment. I still don't believe he starts this year, but 15 mins per game is realistic, maybe more...we can't forget Monninghoff, who was a former starter, and from all accounts is even more deadly with his outside shot. He shot 50% for Team Germany(U20) this Summer and was a stud shooter for us last season. The moment ANY team goes zone or double-down, we should insert MM into the lineup. B/W Pangos, Carter, Bell Jr, and him, we'll have a field day with opposing defenses, oh ya, Guy Landry is an underrated shooter as well...

ZagsGoZags
10-22-2011, 09:51 PM
Due to the potential and athleticism of GBJ and Edi, I hope Few gives lots of early playing time to them and Kevin P this Fall, so they will be experienced by Feb and March. They just exude potential to me.

Spangler can already use his big body to angle in towards the basket and make those over and around the shoulder shots that NBA centers commonly do - already better than Sacre at that

Sacre is our man this year, not a criticism, just praise of Spanglers sense of basketball control over his big body

very exciting scrimmage to watch
I predicted Elite 8 before, now I feel a little more strongly about it

awberke
10-22-2011, 09:58 PM
Man with all these positive posts it's so hard to tell myself its just a stupid 15 minute scrimmage.

I'm just soooo excited for this season to start, i can't stand it.

At the beginning of the summer i predicted pangos and sacre to be the biggest surprises this year.

I realize sacre isn't exactly a long shot but i think he'll be better even than people think.

gO zAgS!!!

zagmantis2001
10-22-2011, 10:45 PM
Not sure if this was mentioned earlier-

No way Spangler is 6'8", looks to be 6'6 of 6'7 at the most.

The Hoff seems to be doing more than just a spot up shooter.

Zag@LMU
10-22-2011, 10:49 PM
I was there and loud and proud. But if the new players think that we were loud today, they should see what happens when we actually have someone to cheer against!

Btw for anyone interested, the KC was very pro-Pangos for the startting spot from what I heard today.

Also, I have snuck down to the student section one time before when LMU was playing at GU last year, but man. That first Zombie Nation felt good :D

04ZagFan
10-22-2011, 10:59 PM

No way Spangler is 6'8", looks to be 6'6 of 6'7 at the most.

The Hoff seems to be doing more than just a spot up shooter.

Agree. It's just a scrimmage, but he did look a lot more confident out there. Last year, he looked lost most of the time on both sides. Didn't today. Again, just a scrimmage, but I like what I saw.

EuroZag2010
10-22-2011, 11:51 PM
I liked what i saw from everyone but Guy Edi just looked really good! Hes strong and very athletic and has ball handling skills-passing and of course pangos looked really good. Mike Hart hit a 3 pointer at the end of a shot clock which was nice to see :D Dower still has a soft touch that the ball always somehow finds the rim. I liked when Bell ran the point we will see where that goes. OH i forgot Marquise is a totally awesome dude! talked to him while i was in line for my poster to get signed.

ZagsGoZags
10-23-2011, 12:17 AM
Dear Zagmantis2001, you said

Spangler

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No way Spangler is 6'8", looks to be 6'6 of 6'7 at the most

but if you go to official home site of men BB zags and look at roster photo
you will see it all. Way taller that 6'6" Edi, and about an inch taller than 6'7" harris in good side by side comparisons

he is a bonafide 6'8" IMO

MDABE80
10-23-2011, 12:53 AM
Spangler tops out at 6 8. hes right between Elias and Sam. They were lined up in Summer under the hoop.
I think I mentioned that Sam is looking more like 6 10. Seems to have grown.

Sometimes when kids are off balance or stooping (or slouching..heaven forbid!), they might look less to some. Spangler next to Elias is at least 1 full inch taller....maybe a bit more.

ZagNative
10-23-2011, 10:15 AM
Haven't seen the box score (http://www.gozags.com/pdf8/792812.pdf) posted yet.

ID ZAGFAN
10-23-2011, 10:46 AM
I tried twice to use this link and it locked up my browser. So then I went to Go Zags and used their link and it locked up again. If anyone can actually see the box score, could you please post the info?

ZaGranny

Therunner
10-23-2011, 10:51 AM
Anyone else concerned about Elias' hamstring injury? If there is one nagging muscle injury, its the hammy.

I dealt with a hamstring strain during my football days and it was ALWAYS there, all-season long. So much so, I could only practice one day per week & play in the games. I never missed a game b/c of hamstring, but it never went away & held me back from being 100%.

I have a feeling Elias will be dealing with this for ahwile & while he won't miss any time, it could become a nagging issue all season long.

Knotsolucky
10-23-2011, 10:54 AM
Official Basketball Box Score -- Game Totals -- 1st Half -- 05:00 Remaining
RED vs BLUE
10/22/11 4:00 pm at McCARTHEY ATHLETIC CENTER - SPOKANE, WA
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
VISITORS: RED
TOT-FG 3-PT REBOUNDS
## Player Name FG-FGA FG-FGA FT-FTA OF DE TOT PF TP A TO BLK S MIN
15 SPANGLER, Ryan...... f 2-6 0-0 0-0 1 2 3 0 4 0 0 0 0 15
35 DOWER, Sam.......... f 3-6 0-0 0-0 0 1 1 2 6 1 2 0 1 15
03 DRANGINIS, Kyle..... g 0-1 0-1 0-0 1 0 1 2 0 2 0 0 0 12
04 PANGOS, Kevin....... g 6-6 3-3 1-1 0 1 1 1 16 2 1 0 2 15
10 EDI, Guy Landry..... g 2-4 1-2 3-4 1 0 1 0 8 3 1 0 0 11
25 KEITA, Mathis....... 1-1 0-0 1-1 0 1 1 1 3 1 0 0 0 7
Totals.............. 14-24 4-6 5-6 3 5 8 6 37 9 4 0 3 75
TOTAL FG% 1st Half: 14-24 58.3% 2nd Half: 0-0 0.0% Game: 58.3% DEADB
3-Pt. FG% 1st Half: 4-6 66.7% 2nd Half: 0-0 0.0% Game: 66.7% REBS
F Throw % 1st Half: 5-6 83.3% 2nd Half: 0-0 0.0% Game: 83.3% 0
HOME TEAM: BLUE
TOT-FG 3-PT REBOUNDS
## Player Name FG-FGA FG-FGA FT-FTA OF DE TOT PF TP A TO BLK S MIN
20 HARRIS, Elias....... f 2-2 0-0 0-0 1 3 4 1 4 2 0 0 0 8
00 SACRE, Robert....... c 3-6 0-0 0-1 0 1 1 0 6 1 1 1 0 13
02 CARTER, Marquise.... g 1-3 0-0 0-0 0 0 0 1 2 1 2 0 0 11
05 BELL JR., GARY...... g 2-4 0-1 2-2 0 0 0 1 6 1 0 0 0 12
11 STOCKTON, David..... g 1-1 1-1 0-0 0 0 0 1 3 1 2 0 0 10
14 SARBAUGH, Chris..... 0-0 0-0 0-0 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 3
22 MOENINGHOFF, Mathis. 3-4 3-4 0-0 0 1 1 0 9 0 0 0 0 8
30 HART, Mike.......... 1-1 1-1 0-0 2 1 3 4 3 1 2 1 0 10
TEAM................ 1 1
Totals.............. 13-21 5-7 2-3 3 8 11 8 33 7 7 2 0 75
TOTAL FG% 1st Half: 13-21 61.9% 2nd Half: 0-0 0.0% Game: 61.9% DEADB
3-Pt. FG% 1st Half: 5-7 71.4% 2nd Half: 0-0 0.0% Game: 71.4% REBS
F Throw % 1st Half: 2-3 66.7% 2nd Half: 0-0 0.0% Game: 66.7% 1
Officials:
Technical fouls: RED-None. BLUE-None.
Attendance:
Score by Periods 1st Total
RED........................... 37 - 37
BLUE.......................... 33 - 33

ID ZAGFAN
10-23-2011, 11:10 AM
Thanks!

ZaGranny

Zagcity
10-23-2011, 11:11 AM
Just got back from Spokane.

I have not read any posts so that they may not influence what I write.

I came away from the exhibition thinking:

1) The level of overall guard play has taken a quantum leap.
2) The Zags are going to be very good this year.
3) Dower is much better at positioning himself on the defensive end. He is gonna be a great player for GU.
4) For the first time in three years, the Zags can score from every position.
5) Their is little or no drop off between the first and second units. Pangos, Landry and Dower carried the Red team over what we all considered would be the starting five.

Pangos is the real deal. Landry is going to be a presence. This will be the best Zag team since the team that won the Old Spice Classic. Possibly better.

Very little to argue with here! Well said, lots of court awareness to go around :clap:

SWZag
10-23-2011, 11:16 AM
I was there and loud and proud. But if the new players think that we were loud today, they should see what happens when we actually have someone to cheer against!

Btw for anyone interested, the KC was very pro-Pangos for the startting spot from what I heard today.

Also, I have snuck down to the student section one time before when LMU was playing at GU last year, but man. That first Zombie Nation felt good :D

Love hearing about the players. But also am excited to hear that the KC will be loud(er) this year. Lets hope this is the case, we're going to need them at the top of their "game" this year with some of the teams we host! But not only those big names, but every team.

SWZag

maynard g krebs
10-23-2011, 12:08 PM
A few things about the box score (thanks, ZN) that stood out, besides the obvious(Pangos):

1) Harris with 4 rebounds in 8 minutes. Small sample size, but suggests reports he's healthy and in better shape are true. If he can get 8+ boards a game, it will help a lot.

2) Landry or Edi or Landry-Edi (help, which is it?) getting 3 assists in 12 minutes to lead the team could suggest he'll adjust quicker than Carter did last year.

3) The fact that Bell played with the vets rather than with the other newcomers speaks volumes.

4) Again small sample size, but based on Rob's one board in 13 min, hopes that he becomes a better rebounder may be wishful thinking. Hope I'm wrong about that.

Knotsolucky
10-23-2011, 03:09 PM
Thanks!

ZaGranny

You're welcome...

Baldwinzag
10-23-2011, 03:44 PM
Anyone else concerned about Elias' hamstring injury? If there is one nagging muscle injury, its the hammy.

I dealt with a hamstring strain during my football days and it was ALWAYS there, all-season long. So much so, I could only practice one day per week & play in the games. I never missed a game b/c of hamstring, but it never went away & held me back from being 100%.

I have a feeling Elias will be dealing with this for ahwile & while he won't miss any time, it could become a nagging issue all season long.

Yes, I am. As we witnessed last season, he'll always tough it out, but hamstring injuries are nothing to sneeze at...can last for several months or more...it will be interesting to follow his progress...

MickMick
10-23-2011, 04:59 PM
A few things about the box score (thanks, ZN) that stood out, besides the obvious(Pangos):

2) Landry or Edi or Landry-Edi (help, which is it?) getting 3 assists in 12 minutes to lead the team could suggest he'll adjust quicker than Carter did last year.

Landry and Pangos seem to compliment each other well. They ran a play or two that looked fairly "polished" and they looked to involve Dower as well. Compared to last season, less passing around the perimeter and more "give and go's" or otherwise moving toward the hoop.

The new players look further along than the new players of last year at this juncture. Especially when Pangos and Landry worked together. Perhaps it has to do with additional practice time allowed for this season.

Some nice offensive movement without the ball at times. Pangos could be another Ravio for us.

A stout "Red" team that gave the starters all they could handle.

On another note, did anyone else catch Bell's reverse layup under the hoop, in traffic? I can't even recall if it went in. I was too preoccupied with a sweet move and thinking it was a glimpse of things to come.

Reborn
10-23-2011, 05:02 PM
What stuck out to me the most on negative side was the "starters" 7 turnovers in 15 mintures. Yikes!!! Turnovers KILLED the Zags last year. The "subs" however only had 4 which I thought was pretty darn good for a group of
subs, mostly Freshmen. I thing this is a factor that will play into minutes for the subs. The more they play the less turnovers.

Pangos had 2 steals...Pretty dang good.

diabeticzag
10-23-2011, 05:29 PM
Landry and Pangos seem to compliment each other well. They ran a play or two that looked fairly "polished" and they looked to involve Dower as well. Compared to last season, less passing around the perimeter and more "give and go's" or otherwise moving toward the hoop.

The new players look further along than the new players of last year at this juncture. Especially when Pangos and Landry worked together. Perhaps it has to do with additional practice time allowed for this season.

Some nice offensive movement without the ball at times. Pangos could be another Ravio for us.

A stout "Red" team that gave the starters all they could handle.

On another note, did anyone else catch Bell's reverse layup under the hoop, in traffic? A sweet move and a glimpse of things to come.

Ooooh, what type of things do they say to each other? Does Guy tell Kevin that he has great hair? Does Pangos tell Landry that he has a fabulous wardrobe?

RRZagFan
10-23-2011, 06:13 PM
That reverse lay up by Bell did go in. Pangos and Landry both stood out to me. Looked very comfortable out there.
On a side note,I was standing in line by the Numerica booth,and at about 2:45 Mark Few drove in and somehow avoided running some guy over.The guy with a kid stepped right off of the curb,right in front of his Escalade and Few swerved slightly and barely missed him.

Demetri Awesome
10-23-2011, 06:17 PM
Ooooh, what type of things do they say to each other? Does Guy tell Kevin that he has great hair? Does Pangos tell Landry that he has a fabulous wardrobe?

Did your mother never say "I love you"?

MickMick
10-23-2011, 06:18 PM

I'm rolling on the floor laughing at your very unique sense of humor.

More. We want more!

sittingon50
10-23-2011, 06:59 PM
Low sugar. Drink some Kool Aid.

diabeticzag
10-23-2011, 07:46 PM

I'm so sorry, guys. Low blood sugars cause me to read things at a literal level. I guess "complement" was the intended meaning. Either way, I'm glad there is such chemistry among the new Zags. And I'm always impressed by the chemistry on this message board.

awberke
10-23-2011, 09:08 PM

Wtf is juice? I want some o' that purple stuff...

Edit: There's a good chance most of you should just ignore this.

MDABE80
10-23-2011, 10:35 PM
Low blood sugars cause dickness? Better go get regulated a bit further. It'll be a long season otherwise. Of course AND as usual...no offense.

diabeticzag
10-24-2011, 05:58 AM
Low blood sugars cause dickness? Better go get regulated a bit further. It'll be a long season otherwise. Of course AND as usual...no offense.

I think what you meant to say is "Of course AND as usual...no defense." Our team usually has a pretty good offense, but everyone on this board goes crazy about the lack of defense - especially when it comes to stopping the 3 pointer.

Oh and I guess making a sarcastic comment about Pangos and Landry being chummy makes me a dick. And it must be an unregulated blood sugar that led me to post such a rude comment, right? Only I can poke fun at my diabetes. Thanks.

diabeticzag
10-24-2011, 07:14 AM
I'm just rattling some cages, folks. But now I think I'll go find my mom and maybe she will finally tell me that she loves me, Demetri Awesome.

Take care and go Zags.

p.s. I think we are all excited about Pangos - whether he's complimenting or complementing his teammates (or both!), it seems like we have a solid presence at the guard position.

JPtheBeasta
10-24-2011, 07:25 AM
This thread got weird in a hurry.

cjm720
10-24-2011, 08:07 AM

Awesome...LOL

WallaWallaZag
10-24-2011, 08:09 AM
this board tends to have a short leash for newbies...and whether diabetic meant it as sarcasm or not, the post came off a little rude depending on your take...a little bit like making fun of someone for a typo/spelling error.

diabeticzag
10-24-2011, 08:19 AM
I can understand that. I thought I'd just "inject" a little humor into the thread. Maybe my jokes are on a "higher" level or maybe they are just stupid play-on-word jokes. It's probably the latter.

DADoZAG
10-24-2011, 09:50 AM
...depending on your take...

It was great to feel the Kennel Club during Zombie Nation and breathe the excitement of the MAC, an experience muted by the TV screen for the rest of the season for many of us. Seeing the players, especially the rookies, on the hardwood, up close in the autograph line and then walking out cradling what may adorn a glassed case should the season’s dreams be fulfilled is an experience wished to all true ZAG fans.

My question to Pangos about if blood had been drawn in practice, was met with a grin and a “not yet.” KO confirmed what has been posted about the concussion, with chuckles from those seated next to him. The brilliant smile of E and a “…we’ll see…” followed my, “…gonna’ see you at the wing this year?” Big Rob had a less than stellar comment about the Johnnies while signing my post victory Spokesman, and the rookies all got some grief for not keeping up with the flow of the autograph line, one of them groaning, “…writer’s cramp!”

I saw a TEAM.

The only other thing I took from the night was the starting lineups. There was a frosh on the Blue side. Perhaps that’s staff’s agreement with BZ, perhaps a promise being kept, and perhaps some relaxing of the rigid history. But even that is all premature interpolation.

Much more will present itself this Friday evening when the journey begins.

Go ZAGS!

PS: Criticizing comments help the strong get stronger and others further excuse to hide behind defensive action.

Billfish'80
10-24-2011, 03:47 PM
I'm with you on "feeling" the Kennel Club, DADo! As I shared in the K in the K picture thread, my family and I were in rows 7 and 8 sec 103 accross the isle, right next to the KC. The bleachers were bouncing about 6" up and down during Zombie Nation. We got to experience being a part of the KC first hand! I will never forget the look on my daughter's face when it started! Never did she think she would experience that. No problen trying to convince them to go early next year. They will want to sit right next to the KC again!
I have been talking up KP to the kids for quite some time, so when they had the 3pt contest my daughter says "I suppose you think Pangos is gona beat Monninghoff, Huh? Right!" When he did'nt shoot so well in that, I was kinda disapointed, deflated. She didn't say anything. Then, 30 seconds into the scrimage he nails his first 3, quickly followed by another. She looked at her cousin and quipped her favorite Q-6 weather man's promo (when I'm right about something) "Well, Bill Kelly said he would!" I just laughed, and was definitely pleased with what I saw from him. He should have been nice and picked up David's shoes and returned them to him, after he juked
David right out of them under the basket. I heard a lot of "Did you see that move!"'s from the crowd. IMHO, If you're not on KP's train, you should start running along side soon, because its going to be hard to jump on board much longer, without falling on your face. I think the train is gona pick up speed pretty fast. Kevin is gona be special!
I must say that I was surprised by how skinney Guy looked in the legs. The upper body (WOW!), and the lower body should be on different people. Never the less, he definitely will add some Pargoesque excitement when the opportunity arrises! He will be exciting! His shot looks pretty nice from downtown, too.
Kyle D. looked a lot stronger than I expected. When the freshman jitters wear off he'll be fine. I can tell he's used to handling the ball.
Spangler did pull down three times as many boards as Rob. He will help the rebounding numbers for sure, while limmiting second chance points for the opposition. Like most freshman Bigs, Offense will come with time. This is a whole new world of competition for him.
GBJ didn't look like a freshman, so i didn't really watch him that closely. I was glued to KP. Gary looked really quick, though, with and without the ball.
It was definitely all about the fresh faces on the team for me. With the quality of our returning players, and these guys added to them, I feel like opening up a Kool-Aid stand! Just think about trying to game plan against this team if opposing coaches scout them well, and if the new kids are complete surprises to them, and they don't plan for them ... well ...

Baldwinzag
10-24-2011, 03:55 PM
IMHO, If you're not on KP's train, you should start running along side soon, because its going to be hard to jump on board much longer, without falling on your face. I think the train is gonna pick up speed pretty fast. Kevin is gona be special!

All Aboard!
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_YUZDZPmjihw/TQ0e58N0aBI/AAAAAAAACNU/bQN5g9OqAPw/s320/all_aboard.gif

gamagin
10-24-2011, 04:44 PM
All Aboard!
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_YUZDZPmjihw/TQ0e58N0aBI/AAAAAAAACNU/bQN5g9OqAPw/s320/all_aboard.gif

Here is a good story and a few key quotes from coach Few after the scrimmage. Clearly, 15 minutes is not enough time to crown a new king or declare this team perhaps the best ever. Even if they turn out to be.

I also thought one of the best Few quotes addressed the chemistry v. talent question on this new team.

http://www.swxrightnow.com/story/15787322/bulldogs-delight-kraziness-in-the-kennel-crowd-of-6000

Virginia Zags Fan
10-25-2011, 01:32 PM
After watching the videos that Larry most generously uploaded, I was very impressed by Monninghoff's shot from different spots. He looked like he moved much better without the ball, received the pass, and quickly got the shot away. Thankfully, it appears his days of hanging out in the corner are over. The ability to move without the ball to an open perimeter spot where the big can see and make the kick out is huge. If he can do what he did the other day on a regular basis, he will cause real headaches for opposing defenses.