10-20-2011, 06:22 PM
arrived today. It sure smells purdy!

Highlights?

sittingon50
10-20-2011, 08:26 PM
The cover is shiny. :D

CDC84
10-20-2011, 08:36 PM
As indicated in another thread, they have SMC picked to win the WCC. The writeup on Gonzaga was the worst I've seen in all my years of getting that publication. It just wasn't very thorough. No new interviews with the coaches, etc.

sittingon50
10-21-2011, 07:19 AM
Didn't mean to come across as flip last night, Mal. Didn't crack the cover until this A.M., what with the World Series on & doing some intensive Fantasy League (baseball) wheeling & dealing on the computer.

Since the Zags didn't crack their Top 25 (Arizona 10, Xavier 14, Sparty 20), the article is much shorter than had they been ranked. I think that has a lot to do with your concerns, CDC.

One thing that stood out was that they intimated that E was overweight last year, apparently because of a lack of motivation after having such a strong Frosh year. No mention of shoulder or achilles problems. But he has lost weight & spent a lot of time watching film (according to them) so he's ready to go this season.

Also attributed a quote to Coach Bennett that RS was "relentless on the offensive boards" which I thought was nice.

GU SMC
BACKCOURT B A
FRONTCOURT A A
BENCH/DEPTH B+ A
INTANGIBLES A A

Grades are certainly subjective; think I would raise GU's Bench/Intangibles & lower SMC's Frontcourt.

In the overall preview of the WCC 3 of the Coaches mention going to BYU & playing at altitude.

CaliforniaZaggin'
10-21-2011, 08:37 AM
SMC's frontcourt is an "A"? I wish I had that teacher while I was in school.

Baldwinzag
10-21-2011, 08:57 AM
GU's bench is rated a "B+", while SMC is an "A".

Interesting.

I can't speak for the rest, yet I'd take my chances on:

Kevin Pangos, Mathis Monninghoff, Mathis Keita, Sam Dower, Kelly Olynyk, Guy Landry, and Ryan Spangler.

vs

Paul McCoy, Beau Levesque, Jordan Page, Eividas Petrulis, Clint Steindl, Tim Williams, and Kyle Rowley.

There is no doubt both "benches" have some talented players, yet just doing 2.2 seconds of research from a recruiting ranking standpoint, accomplishments on the court, actual statistics, and playing time, and our bench is wee bit deeper, folks. Maybe the article is based solely on projections?

C'mon Blue Ribbon, you certainly aren't what you used to be.

Honestly, Sam Dower ALONE should bump that bench grade up to at least an "A-", right? He's practically beat St Mary's starting front court by himself -- not kidding.

sittingon50
10-21-2011, 09:01 AM
had at least 2 big bodies redshirting last year. They both could be good, but are unproven. Much the same as Pangos/Bell. We think they're gonna' be good, but are unproven. That's why I find a little inconsistency in the grading, but no biggie.

zagzilla
10-21-2011, 09:58 AM
Various pubs predicting SMC ahead of GU in WCC should provide motivation and prevent complacency for the players. It's all good.

There have been lots positive comments about McCoy but I also hear he may be hurt and is questionable to be ready at the start of the season. Not great for a transfer. With the collection of cupcakes SMC lined up OOC, they probably won't need him right away though.

ZZ