PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Gonzaga "Walk-on" of All-time?

Baldwinzag
10-20-2011, 10:52 AM
Just a quick question regarding our long list of walk-ons whom have made an impact during their time at GU.

May need a little help from our old-timers or Zag historians here, but since my time, we've been blessed with terrific walk-on players & presences such as:

Mike Nilson
Ryan Floyd
Kyle Bankhead
Mark Spink
Mike Hart
David Stockton
Kyle Dixon
Brian Michealson

The list most definitely goes on(please add or mention more)...

There is no doubt we've had unbelievable walk-on players all whom contributed in numerous, intangible ways off the court, in the locker room, and fan favorites(such as a Stephen Gentry or Andrew Sorenson), yet I'm hoping to discover who is/was the greatest walk-on ON the court? More in terms of actual statistical contributions and / or playing time?

Are we watching him as we speak or is there someone else I have yet to mention?

As it stands right now, I believe Kyle Bankhead was the most significant walk-on to play at Gonzaga. He's one of the best 3pt shooters in school history and started his last two seasons.

Again, this isn't about personal fan-favorites or locker room presence, but about objective contributions on the court.

What say you?

Just curious...

jazzdelmar
10-20-2011, 10:53 AM
kb, with a star.

LongIslandZagFan
10-20-2011, 10:56 AM
Banks... With a slight nod to Nilson... Stox has a chance to dethrone Kyle in the end though.

Baldwinzag
10-20-2011, 10:58 AM
kb, with a star.

Jazz - any current walk-ons capable of following in KB's footsteps?

Stocks, Hart, Sarbaugh?

Not necessarily from a shooting perspective(that's untouchable), but contribution on the court?

Baldwinzag
10-20-2011, 10:59 AM
Banks... With a slight nod to Nilson... Stox has a chance to dethrone Kyle in the end though.

Any walk-ons missing from the list above?

Why do I feel like I'm missing someone...

BobZag
10-20-2011, 11:00 AM
I'll go with Ryan Floyd. Fifteen on UCLA in Pauley and was the difference in beating the Bruins in historic style.

jazzdelmar
10-20-2011, 11:03 AM
Jazz - any current walk-ons capable of following in KB's footsteps?

Stocks, Hart, Sarbaugh?

Not necessarily from a shooting perspective(that's untouchable), but contribution on the court?

from reports, sarbaugh would be my guess. stocks cant be considered a walk on, c'mon guys. he's in a special category. hart needs more dimensions. btw, bankhead hits that shot agst zona.....you all know that, right? but let's not forget kb played w 2 all america pt guards.

gozagswoohoo
10-20-2011, 11:04 AM
I'll go with Ryan Floyd. Fifteen on UCLA in Pauley and was the difference in beating the Bruins in historic style.

Too bad he couldn't have been around for the other UCLA "game which shall not be named"

Baldwinzag
10-20-2011, 11:05 AM

He was a STUD that game. One of the most memorable games & performances in Zag lore.

Good answer. Remember when he played vs the Zags in a friendly exhibition game a few seasons back and put up around 20 points? Awesome to see that...

He did average 6 ppg, 2 apg, & 3 rpg his Sr season, which has to rank high on the list of walk-on contributions.

cggonzaga
10-20-2011, 11:06 AM
Agreed BZ. Him or Nilson. Those guys were HUGE parts of the early NCAA teams. We don't do what we did without them.

Like I've mentioned before, I really believe Sarbaugh has a chance to do special things at Gonzaga and become an all time great walk on.

SWZag
10-20-2011, 11:07 AM
Andrew Sorenson
Tyler Amaya (didn't say tho)
Colin Floyd

...to name a few that were also walk-ons...

sittingon50
10-20-2011, 11:10 AM
Carl Crider left EWU for the Zags. Didn't get much run, but sure got it done in the classroom.

Technically, Micah Downs came as a walk-on.

Bankhead.

MDABE80
10-20-2011, 11:10 AM
Nilson...Defender of the Year. He saved more points than most made.

Before it's done though, I suspect David will zoom to the top of this list. Kinda premature to have a kid on the list who hasn't had a full career. Sarbaugh too.

hondo
10-20-2011, 11:11 AM
Some of the guys who really got it all started were walk ons. Carl Crider (not a ton of minutes but a great team guy), Colin Floyd, Geoff Goss, Matt Stanford, Marty Wall IV and others were all part of the foundation of what we have been able to enjoy for the past several years. Some found more court time but it would be hard to decide which of guys contributed more to the team chemistry which has produced so many wins.
But I might have to go with this guy
http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/member.aspx?PLAYER_ID=41

cggonzaga
10-20-2011, 11:11 AM
He doesn't get a lot of credit for on the court ability but from what I understand Michaelson was like an assistant coach on the bench. Many players found him to be extremely valuable to their success.

Baldwinzag
10-20-2011, 11:14 AM
btw, bankhead hits that shot agst zona.....you all know that, right?

As a student, I had the pleasure of watching Bankhead for 3 seasons...it honestly felt like he never missed a shot. If he was open, everyone in the building knew it was going in. Swish. Nearly every time he attempted a shot -- I recall begging(aka screaming) for him to shoot more from stands.

I believe he was 55% from 3pt in his Senior season. Amazing.

Although not considered a walk-on, I feel Da Hoff has the shooting -- and standing -- ability to become our 'next Bankhead'.

former1dog
10-20-2011, 11:27 AM
My vote goes to Mark Spink

stocks cant be considered a walk on, c'mon guys. he's in a special category.

I'm going to have to disagree, David had 0 (zero!) Division 1 offers. His only offer was to walk on at Gonzaga.

Edited to add, IMHO David Stockton IS NOT realistically part of this conversation, yet.

jimmy b
10-20-2011, 11:31 AM
Nilson's defense was awesome. He played a big part in our runs.

Unfortunately an injury in the WCC tourney ended his season/career.
Floyd filled in admirably though was more an offensive player.

Floyd was athletic - I remember he surprised me with a breakaway jam against Pepperdine in the WCC tourney. Definitely a clutch player as shown in Pauley.

Kyle could not only shoot...he has great BBall IQ. Solid player.

Mark Spink I think began as a walk on...if so, he's right here as well. As physical and tough pound for pound as I think we've had. Check out his game against St. Johns if you can.

Baldwinzag
10-20-2011, 11:33 AM
Spink has got to be considered WAY up there...he averaged over 7ppg, 5.5 rpg his last two years at GU.

Can't believe I left him off the OL. Apologies.

former1dog
10-20-2011, 11:37 AM
Spink has got to be considered WAY up there...he averaged over 7ppg, 5.5 rpg his last two years at GU.

Can't believe I left him off the OL. Apologies.

He played a big role in the run to the Elite 8, especially defensively.

I wonder what we might find out if we compared walk ons based on something like minutes played and games won. I think Spink might have a shot at being right towards the top.

VinnyZag
10-20-2011, 11:59 AM
Nilson would get my vote. Rotation player on the Elite Eight team and a starter his senior year, before he got hurt. Who knows what coulda been in 2000 if Nilson was healthy.

Seems to me that Sarbaugh doesn't quite fit into the normal "walk-on" category, either. He has D-I scholarship talent, but GU didn't have to use a scholarship on him (as I understand it) because his late father was a professor.

Martin Centre Mad Man
10-20-2011, 12:16 PM
I was amazed to learn that Geoff Goss was a walk-on. He gets my vote. Kyle Dixon is barely behind him. I'm equally surprised to learn that he started out as a walk-on. Both guys were three year starters and First Team All-WCC point guards.

My next vote is for Mark Spink. The guy started and was the team's key defensive stopper for a Sweet 16 run and was the sixth man for another Sweet 16 run. He defended the 2, 3, and 4 positions, rebounded well and scrapped for every loose ball.

Vanzagger
10-20-2011, 12:26 PM
I would take 5 Spinks any day of the week

Mantua
10-20-2011, 02:09 PM
Spink and Nilson were a combo. That whole team fed off each other.

I pick them along with Ryan. My opinion is colored by being a Floyd fan when he played in Bi-County League.

Way too soon to count out our current walk-ons.

maynard g krebs
10-20-2011, 02:17 PM
Nilson's defense was awesome. He played a big part in our runs.

Unfortunately an injury in the WCC tourney ended his season/career.
Floyd filled in admirably though was more an offensive player.

Floyd was athletic - I remember he surprised me with a breakaway jam against Pepperdine in the WCC tourney. Definitely a clutch player as shown in Pauley.

Kyle could not only shoot...he has great BBall IQ. Solid player.

Mark Spink I think began as a walk on...if so, he's right here as well. As physical and tough pound for pound as I think we've had. Check out his game against St. Johns if you can.

Exactly my first thought- if it was a horse race, Nilson, Floyd, Bankhead and Spink all finish within a length of each other.

Agree that Sarbaugh is the special case; absolutely a D1 scholarship talent. Stockton, on the other hand, looked like a D2 player at state his sr year. I don't think anyone other than his family would have believed he could come as far as he has.

BobZag
10-20-2011, 02:18 PM
He doesn't get a lot of credit for on the court ability but from what I understand Michaelson was like an assistant coach on the bench. Many players found him to be extremely valuable to their success.

Very true. I'd watch him teach the other guys the Flex for fifteen minutes before every offseason pickup game.

SunDevilGolfZag
10-20-2011, 04:25 PM
Some of the guys who really got it all started were walk ons. Carl Crider (not a ton of minutes but a great team guy), Colin Floyd, Geoff Goss, Matt Stanford, Marty Wall IV and others were all part of the foundation of what we have been able to enjoy for the past several years. Some found more court time but it would be hard to decide which of guys contributed more to the team chemistry which has produced so many wins.
But I might have to go with this guy
http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/member.aspx?PLAYER_ID=41

+1 on that Hondo (unless of course Ray Flaherty was a walk-on too?)

Angelo Roncalli
10-20-2011, 11:20 PM
If we expand this beyond basketball, the greatest walk on in the history of GU athletics is Tom Gorman. He played his freshman and sophomore seasons on the baseball team without receiving a cent of scholarship money. He went on to pitch in the NCAA tournament and later in the major leagues

Colbyspapa
10-21-2011, 05:35 AM
I don't think Kyle Dixon was a walk on. He was a transfer, but he started from day one for the Zags. I new him a little bit and in all our interactions, he or his teammates never let on he walked on. Anyone know for sure?

My vote is for Mark Spink. He added so much to our team on the court. He had a motor like we haven't seen in a while and did all the dirty work. Bankhead was a stud so I won't argue with anyone who picks Kyle.

rennis
10-21-2011, 10:03 AM

/thread. Normally when you have a 2 guard sub for someone like Frahm, defenses relax and sag on the post players. Not when Ryan came in. If anything he stretched the defenses more, cause all he wanted to do was throw daggers. Our guard play in those years was phenomenal.

honorable mentions to Spink and Bankhead. Both great guys, and pivotal players for our teams.

rennis
10-21-2011, 10:07 AM
I pick them along with Ryan. My opinion is colored by being a Floyd fan when he played in Bi-County League.

You too huh? I'm a bi-county kid myself. Ryan used to torch us.

We only got our revenge when football season came around...

pbriz
10-21-2011, 07:14 PM
I'm going with P-Maag.

Anyone who can do magic like that should get a mention.

Martin Centre Mad Man
10-22-2011, 04:10 AM
The team that went to the Sweet 16 counted former walk-ons as three of the top seven players in Spink, Floyd, and Nilson. That team had a great core in Santangelo, Frahm, Calvary, and Dench, but there wasn't a lot of depth beyond the first four. That team really needed those great walk-on players to round out the rotation.

I guess I'll just vote for the trio.

vandalzag
10-22-2011, 07:23 AM
Nilson number 1 Defensive player of the year ends the argument. His injury senior year was a blow.
Floyd as an athlete and player was something special.
Watching Spink get in the head of the opposing player was worth the price of admission. He was the most effective point of attack on the press, better than even Daye.
Bankhead lights out spot up shooter. Sorry Jazz Bankhead gets the shot blocked against AZ, double pump runners were not in is arsenal.