PDA

View Full Version : Insider tidbits

hooter73
10-20-2011, 10:08 AM
Sat around a cooler with my normal GU basketball insider last night and picked up a few little tidbits. Nothing ground breaking to be sure but fun unofficial stuff anyway:

"some of the guards are just unbelievable"
Didnt elaborate and I dont pry but "unbelievable" was said with wide eyes. this could be some of the new guys, all of the new guys, the strides the returners have made, idk but "unbelievable" was stressed.

Still talk of one of the two bigs red shirting. Would be beneficial to either but neither "need" to. Minutes available are just going to be short with 5 ready and able bigs.

Chris Sarbaugh is awesome. Comparison was made to a mix between Morrison and a stronger Mallon with Bouldin's slashing. I dont remember Mallon's high school game style and know that not many thought much of him as a college player but it was said that Sarbaugh is just a great prize to be walking on. I cant wait to see what the coaches are seeing.

Therunner
10-20-2011, 10:18 AM
Thanks for sharing, hooter.

I'm sure its reliable info, yet I have some doubts about the last part re: Sarbaush.

Not that he isn't or won't be awesome, its just he's barely practiced. Are these comments and evals on his play in High School?

As of last week, Chris was still relegated to just warm-up drills in practice, all the conditioning, & player walk-throughs, but still has yet to really go 100% full-speed, such as in scrimmages.

Maybe he's hit the ground running this week?

Again, appreciate the tidbits, keep 'em coming, but way too early to tell with anyone, especially Sarbaugh, who hasn't played much, if any, basketball since the beginning of July.

gamagin
10-20-2011, 10:38 AM
I'm not surprised re Chris. He was mvp of the state championship team, beating out our other favored recruit (as well as UW's fave) for that honor. He was limping painfully for the past several weeks of the season with a nagging injury (knee I think). He put off surgery to finish the season and led the pups to the state championship with an arguably weaker team.

So whatever else he may not be, or needs to develop (there are always new challenges for each Zag & he has his share) he is and was a tremendous leader, a take charge guy, a clock manager, a scoring threat, someone who wants the ball at critical times and doesn't hesitate to make things happen, or shoot when it's the best option on the floor.

GU69
10-20-2011, 10:43 AM
Thanks, hooter.

I don't care how unofficial or possibly inaccurate the statements are. Whether your source is a good evaluator or not, it is still fun to read somebody's inside insight.

It should be an exciting season.

BobZag
10-20-2011, 10:45 AM
Three words: Gary Bell.

Emerging to be something quite special for Gonzaga.

I've heard Stockton and Pangos are good buds off the court, but on the court it's no-holds-barred war.

FlyZag
10-20-2011, 10:55 AM
Three words: Gary Bell.

Math optional here at GUBoards.

BobZag
10-20-2011, 10:57 AM

Kind of a Gaelic bit of humor. ;)

zagzilla
10-20-2011, 11:07 AM
Excited for Sarbaugh and quite a "get" as a walk-on. I assume he's wearing the shirt this season, though. He can heal up, develop an ability to play some defense.

Mallon was the all-time leading scorer in GSL history when he joined (broken the next year by Ammo) Much higher profile recruit than Chris. Sean had a nice career but never emerged as the star/leader of the team.

ZZ

gamagin
10-20-2011, 11:22 AM

math required on Sundays !

WILLYMCG
10-20-2011, 11:42 AM
Did you mean Math is required on Thundays?:p

rennis
10-20-2011, 11:51 AM
I've heard Stockton and Pangos are good buds off the court, but on the court it's no-holds-barred war.

2nd

cggonzaga
10-20-2011, 12:03 PM
He can heal up, develop an ability to play some defense.

If there is one thing Chris could contribute this year it would be his defense. Chris understands the defensive part of the game extremely well and will be a shut down defender at some point in his career with his smarts and athleticism.

Unless Chris' game has changed drastically since high school I don't get the Morrison/Mallon comparison. For one there is a huge height/position difference there. Chris was not a prolific scorer in high school. Could he score? Yes but nowhere near Morrison.

I still think in the end he'll be one of Gonzaga's best walk ons ever but don't expect Adam Morrison, think Ryan Floyd.