PDA

View Full Version : Spokesman article....Mark Few

zagnut2012
10-20-2011, 07:14 AM
Article in the Spokesman....

It is now up to this year's new class of Zags to write their own history.

"This year's team needs to start from scratch and they have to establish their own identity," said Few. "It's going to be different than it was last year, and they'll have to kind of carve their way through another difficult schedule and see if they can continue with what the groups before them have been able to accomplish" Mark Few.

So true. Our boys will need to identify themselves and come together as a team and the reports of this groups progress during the summer is a great thing.

http://www.swxrightnow.com/story/15732864/few-newcomers-must-establish-their-own-identity-at-gonzaga

Here's to an exciting time for GU fans....:cheers:

Zagnut 2012

Kiddwell
10-20-2011, 07:17 AM
Link?

zagnut2012
10-20-2011, 07:19 AM
Sorry your quick...I was editing....

http://www.swxrightnow.com/story/15732864/few-newcomers-must-establish-their-own-identity-at-gonzaga

hooter73
10-20-2011, 08:53 AM
Start from scratch? yes and no IMO. We return big minute and big impact players with Sacre, Harris and Carter, throw in KO, Dower and Stockton, have some good bench players that got broke in last year and have a new group coming in that may be the best recruiting class GU has ever seen.

Having another decent team like BYU in conference will be the biggest test but we are not exactly starting from scratch.

Therunner
10-20-2011, 08:56 AM
Start from scratch? yes and no IMO.

Having another decent team like BYU in conference will be the biggest test but we are not exactly starting from scratch.

I swear Coach Few says this every year.

"We have lots a new guys to get up to speed, we're young, these guys will be tested with our OOC schedule, must form own identity, yada yada yada..."

He's right, but its the same darn thing every season. Can't blame him for scripting out answers for the same question year after year though.

cggonzaga
10-20-2011, 09:04 AM
Maybe he means that this years group needs to not let the burden of other successful GU teams be there identity, if that makes sense. Start a new tradition of success and don't live in the past. I've always kind of felt that Few was guilty of this himself. I think he has a hard time seeing the Blake Stepp's and Matt Bouldin's go. Many coaches do. But you've got to move onto what you have in the present. This group could be special if both the coaching staff and the players start a new tradition of success and loosen up a bit.

sittingon50
10-20-2011, 10:52 AM
would like to hear:

Reporter: "Coach Few, how do you think your team will do this year?"

Coach Few: "We'll win 'em all. By double digits."

Baldwinzag
10-20-2011, 10:54 AM
would like to hear:

:clap:

Now you're speaking my language, '50.

;)

Vanzagger
10-20-2011, 12:19 PM
to draw the line. No more excuses. Live up to, or exceed expectations, or go coach a program where there is even less pressure.

It's human nature to get comfortable. At some point it becomes time to kick some doors down.

bartruff1
10-20-2011, 12:45 PM
to draw the line. No more excuses. Live up to, or exceed expectations, or go coach a program where there is even less pressure.

It's human nature to get comfortable. At some point it becomes time to kick some doors down. " Get a rope "...!!!!!

HillBillyZag
10-20-2011, 12:55 PM
Hey, its all about " what have you done for me lately?" Loyalty and Patience are Virtues not much espoused by todays youth.

23dpg
10-20-2011, 02:10 PM

It's human nature to get comfortable. At some point it becomes time to kick some doors down.

I could not disagree more. You have the right to your opinion and are free to it, but what more does Few have to do....final 4? I would like that too, but I'm not making that a condition of his job.

Ps. Who exactly do you think Gonzaga should go after if Few just wins the WCC again, maybe a game or two in the tourney and is ranked in the top 25 most of the year? Izzo? Calipari? that guy with the funny name at Duke?

Vanzagger
10-20-2011, 04:27 PM
let's wait and see. I think we are at an inflection point though. The rest of the league is not waiting around. They may be closing the gap. Did that article say 4-5 teams are in the hunt this year?????

We are not young:

Sacre......................... Super senior
Carter........................Senior
E Harris......................should have left for the Pros a while ago
KO,Stock,Dower,Hart....Juniors
Manny,Meech,Polling..Never mind

If we don't get out of the sweet 16 this year, I will go up and apologize to Harris and Sacre.

And know one wants Few to break through more than me

bartruff1
10-20-2011, 05:42 PM
I am sure he will be relieved to hear that you (and Roth) are going to give him one last chance. You certainly have the patience of Job, really. Have you thought about giving your invaluable support to some other coach or team that might live up to your more than reasonable expectations ?? Loyalty like yours is a rare gift.....ps....quit digging...bart

04ZagFan
10-20-2011, 08:06 PM
would like to hear:

LOL. We don't want Coach Few to turn into Rex Ryan.

sittingon50
10-20-2011, 08:29 PM
Agree 04. On many levels.

;)

Therunner
10-20-2011, 08:59 PM
Its amazing how much more Coach Graves gives us than Coach Few in interviews...Kelly says it how it is... "hey, we can't replace a once-in-lifetime-player like Courtney, but we just may be a more dynamic and balanced team this season. We're taller from top to bottom, maybe more talented, and while our PG by committee approach will be green, it will be skilled and we have some depth. I'm confident we're going to battle and accomplish big things again...I love this group."

Coach Few says, "hopefully this team can keep sawing wood and we'll see what happens, but I must remind everyone, yeah you reporters, I'm glaring at you, for the 1000th time in the last 10 seasons, we're young & inexperienced...once again. Deal with it."

As much as I respect and admire Coach Few's accomplishments, his redundant message has become a bit tiring, imho. Love the Coach, not the persona.

Yes, I will be ripped for this, but get some new material with the media Coach, honestly.

jim77
10-21-2011, 11:01 AM
Sometimes I think the coache's statements are more geared towards his players than the press or fans. The guy keeps it real. He doesn't hype or talk down about his team...I guess really just a blue collar type coach. Who wins a BUNCH of games....this team will be no exception. Never too high or too low....just right :)

Colbyspapa
10-21-2011, 02:41 PM
Maybe he means that this years group needs to not let the burden of other successful GU teams be there identity, .

We want these young men to respect the burden of expectations and to know they need to keep it going and try and exceed what has been accomplished before them in my opinion. You don't come to GU to avoid pressure to win. While I understand what you are saying in the rest of your post, I believe you set the expectation from day one that you are expected to work your tail off to be the best GU basketball player and student you can be. Nothing else is acceptable.

That burden is on the players. IMO, Coach Few is our coach for life. He has earned it with 22 years of service to our university. He has shown his work ethic year after year. It's the players that need to push to the same level as the coaching staff. In the end, they are on the floor.

Vanzagger
10-21-2011, 04:33 PM
be right. Few may work harder than his players. And I want him to stay for ever. All I'm saying is, if year after year you end up being ranked in the top 20, at some point you need to win one of those games when it's down to 16 left.

ZagsGoZags
10-21-2011, 07:05 PM
Few says the OOC schedule is as tough as last year

but, in terms of the coaches poll

"The Zags appear to have a more manageable schedule this year compared to last, as just two teams on their schedule are currently ranked: Arizona is No. 16 and Xavier is No. 15. Teams on Gonzaga's schedule that received votes in the preseason coaches poll include: Michigan State, Butler, St. Mary's, Notre Dame and Brigham Young."

Idahomie
10-21-2011, 11:52 PM
Did I miss something? Is Spangler not considered a newcomer anymore?