PDA

View Full Version : hurls?

jazzdelmar
10-20-2011, 06:55 AM
pangos=hurley? thoughts.

sittingon50
10-20-2011, 07:06 AM
Pangos=better looking.

Am going to have to see him play a bit before I can make any other comparisons.

How tall was Hurley, Jazz?

Radbooks
10-20-2011, 07:14 AM
I was just thinking about that the other day. I went to one of the Duke sites and it says Hurley was 6'2, 165, but I assume that was at the end of his career... who knows what it was when he was a freshman.

jazzdelmar
10-20-2011, 07:16 AM
no way. 5-11 TOPS. his brother was 6-2. my son played agst both in h.s. and camps.....

Therunner
10-20-2011, 07:39 AM
No way Hurls was 6'2".

I'd say 6'0" in shoes. 165lbs is accurate.

Not a bad comparison, but Pangos' body is much more suited for muscle and strength development. Bobby had the hardest time putting on weight, along the lines of Derek Raivio, it was darn near impossible. He was around 160lbs as a Freshman & maybe 165lbs as a Senior, but much stronger than he looked. One of the best passers at the D1 level -- he was close to being the first player ever, at the time, to achieve 2,000pts & 1000asts in his career.

In terms of basketball IQ, competitive nature, clutch performer, terrific leader, and outstanding shooter, we can only hope Pangos compares in those areas.

When I think of Kevin Pangos I think of Bryce Drew, the Valpo great who made "the shot", became a 1st Round draft pick, & played in the NBA for 6-7 seasons(was also Indiana's Mr. Basketball in HS). He was 6'2", 185lbs, and averaged 18ppg, 5 apg, 43% from 3pt over his career at Valpo. He was deceptively athletic, a student of the game, a Coaches' son like Pangos, strong build, clutch, and a great leader on-and-off the court. He's now the Head Coach at his alma mater and is still Valparaiso's all-time scoring, 3-point field goal, and assist leader.

I realize its cliche' yet another player Kevin reminds me of after watching hours of video, reading every scouting report, watching his recruitment with offers via Notre Dame, Virginia, Boston College, Temple, UNLV, Michigan, Cinncinati, and comparing his strengths/weaknesses is our very own Dan Dickau. Yeah, I said it. Remember it took Dan a couple years to mature on the court. Both players are 6'1" and I have a feeling KP will play around 195lbs his Jr/Sr seasons just as Dan did. Kevin has developed a killer outside shot, which he's knocked down 40% of his 3pt attempts in every FIBA Tourney he played in. As mentioned before, his shooting prowess is getting rave reviews in practice as well. They are both quick with their first step, not overly athletic, strong with the ball, not afraid to shoot, good off the pick 'n roll but would rather hit the open jump shot off the curl, and vocal on the court(so I hear). Its difficult to say it, but Kevin is eerily similar in many ways to DD...just my opinion for now.

CanadianZagFan
10-20-2011, 07:46 AM
Hurley was always listed as 6'0" 165lbs.....so 5'11" in flat feet is about right. Pangos is far more developed physically already at 185lbs as a freshman. As far as their games are concerned I will wait till I see KP play an NCAA game or 2. Booby although slight of frame was a very willing defender and a great leader on and off the court, I would love to see KP have that type of career at Gonzaga.

Radbooks
10-20-2011, 07:53 AM
I just went by the Duke Blue Planet website, but I went to the NBA site and it listed him at 6 foot, 165. Ah, college websites are notoriously exaggerated. :)

willandi
10-20-2011, 08:06 AM
The title of this thread reminded me of some Bourbon I drank years ago!.

jazzdelmar
10-20-2011, 08:07 AM
I just went by the Duke Blue Planet website, but I went to the NBA site and it listed him at 6 foot, 165. Ah, college websites are notoriously exaggerated. :)

trust me, from personal experience, hurls was 5-11 tops. but the heart of a lion, thanks to dad......if pangos is 75% the player, im ecstatic.

jazzdelmar
10-20-2011, 08:09 AM
comparing his strengths/weaknesses is our very own Dan Dickau. Yeah, I said it. Remember it took Dan a couple years to mature on the court. Both players are 6'1" and I have

be still, my heart. you can go home again :)

cjm720
10-20-2011, 08:18 AM
seriously? strange post. let's see the kid play

former1dog
10-20-2011, 08:24 AM
Jazz = Hype machine ?

confusing, very confusing :D

CanadianZagFan
10-20-2011, 08:31 AM
I think we should do this for Bell and Spangler as well, see who we come up with...it is all in good fun.

jazzdelmar
10-20-2011, 08:39 AM
ok, sticking w old dookies, how about spangler=mark alarie and bell=johnny dawkins? just fun, guys; it's been raining here for days.

Therunner
10-20-2011, 08:51 AM
I'm sticking with my Bryce Drew comparison for KP. Spot on, honest, & reasonable, imo.

Spangler = a white Shelden Williams.

Gary Bell = Ben Gordon clone.

jazzdelmar
10-20-2011, 08:52 AM
I'm sticking with my Bryce Drew comparison for KP. Spot on, honest, & reasonable, imo.

Spangler = a white Shelden Williams.

Gary Bell = Ben Gordon clone.

"reasonable" you say? ben gordon is reasonable? :)

Therunner
10-20-2011, 09:01 AM

I'm sticking with it Jazzy D...everything from their stats in HS, size, build, look, style of play, 3pt shot, solid athleticism, above average defenders, moxy is identical.

That is at the same stage, who knows if Gary Bell will flourish, develop, and mature as well as Ben Gordon did at UConn...that is too early to tell.

As it stands right now, I can't think of a better comparison.

cjm720
10-20-2011, 09:04 AM

I saw BG lob a ball off the backboard and dunk in traffic...not sure if Bell's quite at that level (or lottery choice). Would be nice to be wrong, though.

Therunner
10-20-2011, 09:31 AM
...not sure if Bell's quite at that level (or lottery choice). Would be nice to be wrong, though.

Keep in mind, BG was a Lottery pick following his Junior year...

Bell Jr is just getting started on carving out his own career.

This really isn't a thread comparing our Zags to their current counterparts or what they ultimately accomplished(definitely not stating GBJ is going to be a lottery pick or big-time NBA starter, etc), but rather a relative comparison of players at the same stage. Its like when Draftexpress provides a "best case scenario" NBA comparison for current HS recruits.

For instance, Ben Gordon was 6'2", 190 lbs and averaged 12ppg, 3 apg as a Freshman at UConn...I don't believe that is out of reach for GBJ at Gonzaga.

siliconzag
10-20-2011, 09:32 AM
The title of this thread reminded me of some Bourbon I drank years ago!.

Way 2 much whiskey talk this time of the year. I've been on this roller coaster ride before, and the first dip is a doozy. And that is when the hurls begin.

Sili

CDC84
10-20-2011, 09:33 AM
As much as I couldn't stand Hurley when he played for Duke, he was one of the most mentally tough players I've ever seen play college basketball. He was also one of college basketball's all time greatest team leaders.

jazzdelmar
10-20-2011, 09:41 AM
As much as I couldn't stand Hurley when he played for Duke, he was one of the most mentally tough players I've ever seen play college basketball. He was also one of college basketball's all time greatest team leaders.

got that from dad. man is nuts but a brilliant coach and leader. his D1 placements are off the charts. all tough kids.

Therunner
10-20-2011, 09:52 AM
OK, just got to thinking about another worthy comparison...what about Gary Bell = Devin Harris at Wisconsin?

GBJ is a bit more muscular/stocky at the same stage, but very similar HS stats and combo-guard type of game. GBJ was rated a little higher on recruiting boards.

Devin was Wisconsin's Mr. Basketball his Senior season and ended up averaging 34 mins, 12 ppg, 2 apg, and 36% from 3pt for the Badgers his Frosh season.

ALSO, what about Travis Diener from Marquette for Kevin Pangos? Both 6'1" true PG's with a killer shot, electric passer, and mind for the game(both had offers from Notre Dame too:)). Diener averaged 7 ppg, 2.5 apg, and 44% from 3pt his Freshman yr at Marquette, which are realistic #'s for KP. He went on to avg 14 ppg, 5 apg, & 41% from 3pt over his 4 yrs at MU, ended up a 2nd Round pick and played in the NBA for 5 yrs as an undersized, under-athletic true PG.

Larrylegend
10-20-2011, 10:01 AM
I'm hopeful Pangos has this intangible: the ability to make his teammates better. Time will tell.

BobZag
10-20-2011, 10:55 AM
Hurley came from an ultra-competitive league. Pangos comes from a suburb of Toronto.

Agree on the "only time will tell" tact. We can only hope he is.

MDABE80
10-20-2011, 11:53 AM
Pangos is taller than DD I'd say by a couple of inches. He'll shoot about the same....close anyway. DD was more muscular in terms of sub q fat.
Not sure about mental toughness with Kevin. He's smarter than anyone mentioned when on a court. He just seems to "know" where everyone is and should be a few plays in advance.

Bell's just over 6 ft 2 now. He's lithe...not thick at all. Shooting will improve and it'll need to. Superior ball handler and good defender for 18 years old. Quick and very fast up and down.

Both these kids are just super frosh. If you want mental toughness , though..we have a kid who's as tough as Hurley...David Stockton. None tougher.

jazzdelmar
10-20-2011, 11:59 AM
[QUOTE=BobZag;688832]Hurley came from an ultra-competitive league. Pangos comes from a suburb of Toronto.

amen. and hurley's backcourt mate was another future nba star, terry dehere. across the river, however, was the greatest high school guard ever, kenny a. could have played in the nba when he was a hs freshman.

JPtheBeasta
10-20-2011, 12:40 PM
All of this comparison of our guys to Duke players is making my stomach turn a little. Incidentally, are we going to have to train one of our guys to stomp on someone's chest while they are laying on the ground?

Pangos= Mark Price(?)

Baldwinzag
10-20-2011, 01:01 PM
Pangos= Mark Price(?)

JP gets the "Comparison of the Day" award, imo.

Nice one. Mark "Mad Man" Price was one of my fave players in the eighties & early nineties. He was remarkable. At just 6'0", 170lbs, he was one of the best College players of all-time. Scored 2200 points during his 4 yr career.

Price averaged 20ppg his FROSH yr at Georgia Tech. Was a two-time All-American, four-time All-ACC, ACC MVP and one of only five players to be in NBA's 50-40-90 club.

One of my favorite quotes about him:

A point guard, he mystified critics who said he was too slow, too small and too deliberate for such a high-level game.

Baseline
10-20-2011, 04:00 PM
You want tough, watch Spangler this season. he will set a new standard before he leaves Gonzaga.

sittingon50
10-20-2011, 06:49 PM
If he's tougher than Casey then we better fasten our seatbelts (& beware of flying glass).

Baseline
10-20-2011, 07:13 PM
Your right, tougher than Casey is a tall order. I may have over spoke. This kid is tough, but not sure it reaches caseys level.

MDABE80
10-20-2011, 07:36 PM
He'll be that tough as a frosh. Wait..this kid is steel with big springs to sweep the boards.
We have tons of scoring options this year. Ryan will put up double figures once things get figured out in January.