PDA

View Full Version : The Big Two Bigs

BobZag
10-19-2011, 10:13 AM
Rumor has it that Harris is in the best physical condition of his career, including his freshman year here. Rumor also has it that Sacre has worked hard for hours and hours all summer on a 15' jumpshot and has it so he's now a reliable threat from there.

Timeout!
10-19-2011, 10:16 AM
Thanks BZ.

Love these little snippets...

The [Best] Big Two Bigs in the Country.

I recently heard Dower is going to be given the green light from 15' feet as well. Sacre & Dower have some range for being 6'9" & 7'0".

No more doubling down on these guys. They'll face up to take the shot and/or bang underneath.

DADoZAG
10-19-2011, 10:19 AM
Rumor has it that Harris is in the best physical condition of his career, including his freshman year here. Rumor also has it that Sacre has worked hard for hours and hours all summer on a 15' jumpshot and has it so he's now a reliable threat from there.

'Seen it, and it's sweet, baby.

Go ZAGS!

BobZag
10-19-2011, 10:19 AM
Dower continues to score in bunches, plus now he defends better. His shot extends out to the arc but, you're right, about 15' or so he's very reliable. It'll be hard for Few to keep this guy off the court.

hooter73
10-19-2011, 10:25 AM
The question is though, did KO learn to dunk?

:D

MDABE80
Yes..BZ's got it. Elias is lighter, quicker and is quickly turning into a slasher on O...best going from his left to the right. Thunderous player now.

Rob?....well I've said it all along, he's a "reliable midrange jumper and just a bit more lift "away from a being a 1st rounder. Wait till you all see him. Undeniably one of the most hard working and improved kids since Ronny improved so greatly for his 1st to 4th years.

Sam was a terrific long distance kid in HS. I think Baldwin pointed that out a few years back.
Since he's in his 2nd year, he'll continue to impress with improvement. No other team will be leaving him alone...that's for sure.

We gots a very good team!

DADoZAG
Dower continues to score in bunches, plus now he defends better. His shot extends out to the arc but, you're right, about 15' or so he's very reliable. It'll be hard for Few to keep this guy off the court.

No comment on the right hand?

Go ZAGS!

Martin Centre Mad Man
10-19-2011, 10:31 AM
Any word on K.O.'s development?

Baldwinzag
10-19-2011, 10:36 AM
Any word on K.O.'s development?

BZ prefers not to comment on the redshirt players.

;)kidding, couldn't resist...

CanadianZagFan
10-19-2011, 10:36 AM
The question is though, did KO learn to dunk?

:D

Here are clips from his game vs. Argentina this summer, it shows both good and bad, check out the 2:35 mark to see his ability to get up.

EuroZag2010
10-19-2011, 11:03 AM
BZ,
You are making my heart pump really fast with those little sentences!! Love to hear that our bigs have gotten better!! Monday i get my tickets for next weeks game i cant wait!! :cheers:

EuroZag2010
10-19-2011, 11:04 AM
Here are clips from his game vs. Argentina this summer, it shows both good and bad, check out the 2:35 mark to see his ability to get up.

where are the clips?:roll:

Timeout!
10-19-2011, 11:30 AM
Kelly Olynyk vs Argentina (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3dIHId4ls8)

Hey, I'm a big KO fan yet this clip actually highlights his weaknesses rather than display his strengths or show any sort of development this off-season.

In a matter of 2 mins, we see what plagued KO last season and precisely why he lost his starting job. Watch every minute outside of the wide-open, no pressure steal & dunk. Same 'ol KO & same 'ol mistakes.

Did he improve at all? Wasn't he the ONLY player who didn't stick around this Summer? The guys in Spokane worked out all day & played pick-up vs former Zag All-Americans, Pros, and NBA guys. KO was supposed to be playing against 'better competition'.

His late help defense is why he draws fouls, his lack of defensive rebounding fundamentals(the rebound per min stat is a joke), b/c he lunges rather than jumps and usually is out-jumped or misses the box out while giving up the put-back or offensive board. Also, his zero elevation caused him to get blocked by 6'5" players, let alone fellow post players. A 10" vertical may be giving him credit. He did the exact same things he did well such as high-low passing, off-the-dribble mid-range shot, a nice baseline up & under move, and a few tipped balls. Whether its playing for GU or Canada I just don't see a player worthy of serious minutes at Gonzaga -- not yet at least. He is just not a steady enough player on the court. He's whispy in the post and lacks any sort of defensive awareness. He may be one of the tallest players, but his strength and cemented feet make him around 6'8" at best.

KO doesn't command enough presence as a 7' player -- its not exactly his fault. Unfortunately, he has the skills and mindset of a SG, but in a slow-footed posts body. He's playing out of position. Think Josh Heytvelt minus the athletic attributes & 7'3" wingspan. If he decided to take a season to add significant lower body/core strength to maintain offensive and defensive positions and learn to develop his post moves and footwork, then we're talking. Until then, he'll always be a 10-15 min player who looks good on paper, can provide rest minutes for our main players w/o a huge drop off, and play OK for Canada in the off-season.

GUZag08
10-19-2011, 11:46 AM
didnt he drop 19 and 12 on argentina's NBA frontline?

MDABE80
10-19-2011, 11:47 AM
Yikes Timeout! Just Yikes! ....throwing a "WOW" too! he's better than that!

Timeout!
10-19-2011, 11:54 AM
didnt he drop 19 and 12 on argentina's NBA frontline?

Here were his STATS (http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/12/olym/player/p/eid/6232/pid/69312/rid//sid/5203/tid/257/profile.html). It was his best game by far.

Remember, random tipped balls are also counted as "rebounds".

How many non-rebounds did he have?

In the 2 min clip above, I counted 4 tipped balls that led to defensive rebounds for the other team. Sound familiar?

GUZag08
10-19-2011, 11:55 AM
but he dropped 19 and 12. On an NBA frontline. Jeez dude

Timeout!
10-19-2011, 12:02 PM
Yikes Timeout! Just Yikes! ....throwing a "WOW" too! he's better than that!

:) I know Abe. I got a little carried away there -- outside of the PG debate, KO is the most controversial player on this team.

Having said all that, I posted earlier today he's still the 6th or 7th man off the bench in the "starting lineup" thread.

Its not all bad. KO brings a lot to the table, but just isn't worthy enough to warrant starter minutes on our team, imo. Coach Few felt the same way after giving him an opportunity and not sure much as changed.

He's a good player(could become a great one), excellent in the locker room, classroom, and a well liked by all his teammates as well as the Coaches.

KO's an asset to have on this team -- I want him to prove me wrong and become the player many talk or hear about...

CanadianZagFan
10-19-2011, 12:55 PM
Here were his STATS (http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/12/olym/player/p/eid/6232/pid/69312/rid//sid/5203/tid/257/profile.html). It was his best game by far.

Remember, random tipped balls are also counted as "rebounds".

How many non-rebounds did he have?

In the 2 min clip above, I counted 4 tipped balls that led to defensive rebounds for the other team. Sound familiar?

Wrong, controlled tips to your teammates are rebounds as well as offensive tips at the basket, they are counted as a missed field goal and a rebound.

Sorry I forgot to attach the link, it was to show him as a player, not just a highlight. He was late rotating on defense, but he also showed a solid pursuit of rebounds and an ability to get physical with grown men....and that face-up game was pretty damn nice for any player at any level.

LongIslandZagFan
10-19-2011, 01:26 PM
To quote the great Ron Burgundy:

Boy, that escalated quickly... I mean, that really got out of hand fast.

Positive thread to negative in less than half a page... New record.

gamagin
10-19-2011, 02:13 PM

was working on his pull up shot from about 5-10 feet the two times I saw him in the K2 this summer. It was sweet. He would put a shoulder in to whoever was guarding him, drive a step or two, backing the defender up and then take the pressure off the guy trying to keep him from going forward, and execute a sweet, confident, fade away. He did this over and over v. Sam and Kuso. I'd say that is the shot referred to.

That said, I hope to see him drive all the way and stuff more often, drawing the foul and the and-one over and over. I like that even better than the short shot. I believe with his great ft shooting skills he'd get alot of three point opportunities that way, as well as get his defenders in foul trouble faster.

BobZag
10-19-2011, 02:34 PM
was working on his pull up shot from about 5-10 feet the two times I saw him in the K2 this summer. It was sweet. He would put a shoulder in to whoever was guarding him, drive a step or two, backing the defender up and then take the pressure off the guy trying to keep him from going forward, and execute a sweet, confident, fade away. He did this over and over v. Sam and Kuso. I'd say that is the shot referred to.

That said, I hope to see him drive all the way and stuff more often, drawing the foul and the and-one over and over. I like that even better than the short shot. I believe with his great ft shooting skills he'd get alot of three point opportunities that way, as well as get his defenders in foul trouble faster.

Details, details...

RenoZag
10-19-2011, 03:24 PM
Hope Rob doesn't fall in love with the jumper the way Josh H did. . .gamagin's 2nd paragraph is what I hope we see a lot of. . .

gamagin
10-19-2011, 04:02 PM
Hope Rob doesn't fall in love with the jumper the way Josh H did. . .gamagin's 2nd paragraph is what I hope we see a lot of. . .

and dominate, like he is physically capable of doing, he could be an AA and a first round draft pick. If not . . .

Bogozags
10-19-2011, 09:54 PM
and dominate, like he is physically capable of doing, he could be an AA and a first round draft pick. If not . . .

I mentioned in an earlier post that his face up "j" was what was needed to get him to dominate offensively in the paint. That "j" will set up his low post moves and fakes to get his dunks and to the FT line...can't wait to see him play...

mgadfly
10-19-2011, 10:01 PM

If he shoots it with the same efficiency I'm fine with it. JH had a 118.8 offensive efficiency rating his senior season, a number that RS hasn't even gotten close to. I don't care if it is a jumper or a dunk, as long as it goes in.