PDA

View Full Version : Judd's advice to Izzo playing Gonzaga

ID ZAGFAN
10-19-2011, 10:04 AM
http://www.msuspartans.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/101811aad.html

Interview with Izzo about the season:

Quote:

"Gonzaga out there. I called Judd a couple weeks ago, and he said you're playing Gonzaga out here? He said it 10 times. He said I thought you told them not to play in their new arena. He said I thought I told you don't play there. Well, where in the hell am I supposed to play?

They haven't lost many games there. He wanted me to play in the downtown arena. But if we're going to go, let's go. So we're going to be out there. We're going to be on the road for five non conference games, which is a lot in college basketball in this day and age. Yet I think it's going to give us a schedule that will prepare us for the Big Ten."

Accessed this through Jim Meehan's twitter.

ZaGranny

DCZag
10-19-2011, 10:08 AM
I'm glad that Izzo has the cajones to play us at our place.....really looking fwd to them and ND at home

Timeout!
10-19-2011, 10:11 AM
Thanks for the link, ID.

Coach Izzo is by far my all-time favorite Coach in College Hoops.

He's such a cool guy, master of the game, and humble in wins or losses. He also plays the Zags AT Gonzaga. Refreshing.

He somehow has found the balance b/w being a players' coach and a respected leader.

A little known fact about me is I follow his podcast interviews throughout the season and thoroughly enjoy his perspective about NCAA basketball, other teams, and his coaching strategy. He seems to be an expert on every team he faces, which I have no idea how he does that.

The last time we played them he literally knew every strength, weakness, and game plan for each of our players. He had a 5 min commentary about Sacre, Bouldin, Meech, and even Elias as an incoming Freshman. It was remarkable and I expect more of the same this year.

Can't wait for more Izzo interview prior to playing them. He'll know as much about our team as our own Coaches up until the final buzzer sounds.

He is one for the history books.

gozagswoohoo
10-19-2011, 10:11 AM
I've got a lot of respect for Izzo. Very cool.

BobZag
10-19-2011, 10:16 AM
I've got a lot of respect for Izzo. Very cool.

Ditto.

Baldwinzag
10-19-2011, 10:19 AM
I've been studying the Red Sox and what happened to that locker room. Hopefully beer and chicken is out of our locker room this year. We don't plan on having any of that in there.

:lmao:

hooter73
10-19-2011, 10:24 AM
The Kennel atmosphere is not what it was a couple years ago but here's hoping.

ZagNative
10-19-2011, 10:29 AM
I recently saw that Izzo and his wife hd donated $1 million to MSU.

Martin Centre Mad Man
10-19-2011, 10:30 AM

If y'all can't get up for Michigan State in your own gym, there is no hope for you.

siliconzag
10-19-2011, 12:41 PM
Hint: It is not woohoo.

maynard g krebs
10-19-2011, 12:54 PM
Hint: It is not woohoo.

Some football coach, Mariucci or something like that.

zagfan24
10-19-2011, 01:36 PM
It's no accident that Sparty is a tough team every March. Izzo's preparation, focus on defense and rebounding, and willingness to play a brutal schedule has MSU ready for anything come tournament time. Put him right alongside Few on the ever-shrinking list of college bball coaches I really respect.

siliconzag
10-19-2011, 02:28 PM
It's no accident that Sparty is a tough team every March. Izzo's preparation, focus on defense and rebounding, and willingness to play a brutal schedule has MSU ready for anything come tournament time. Put him right alongside Few on the ever-shrinking list of college bball coaches I really respect.

Steve Mariucci, former one year wonder coach of the Cal Bears and then 49 coach, then Detroit Lions. Steve was a very good QB coach. When he left the Green Bay Packers as QB coach, Brett Favre reportedly offered to pay him a salary equal to what he would receive at Cal just to stick around and help with QB development. Apparently "Mooch" and "Izz" as they were known back in the day were high school best of buddies.

http://deadspin.com/5494792/tom-izzo-steve-mariucci-young-lovers

Mariucci had something special going at Cal, and had he stayed, they would have made it to the Rose Bowl eventually, something, I am not sure any of us over 50 will ever see!

Sili

maynard g krebs
10-19-2011, 03:40 PM
I have as many useless facts in my head as Billy Hoyle's girlfriend Gloria, the jeopardy champion played by Rosie Perez, did in the movie White Men Can't jump.

Pargo the Destroyer
10-19-2011, 04:00 PM
I have as many useless facts in my head as Billy Hoyle's girlfriend Gloria, the jeopardy champion played by Rosie Perez, did in the movie White Men Can't jump.

You'd rather look good and lose than look bad and win! - Billy Ho

Ekrub
10-19-2011, 07:44 PM

+1. students and fans are seriously lacking in the enthusiasm category for the past few years.

Bogozags
10-19-2011, 09:31 PM
I recently saw that Izzo and his wife hd donated $1 million to MSU.

Ala Joe Pa ($6M)...truly classy people!

Bogozags
10-19-2011, 09:35 PM
:lmao:

Funny! Great Get!!