PDA

View Full Version : Zach Farmer : "WCC: Gonzaga tops conference in revenue"

ZagNative
10-19-2011, 07:53 AM
Zach Farmer writes in he Examiner on (http://www.examiner.com/wcc-basketball-in-national/wcc-gonzaga-tops-conference-revenue) Gonzaga's rank in the conference as to basketball revenues. The linked story in the piece lists all college programs in the nation, starting with #1 Duke at $26 million.

Duke, Louisville, North Carolina, Arizona and Syracuse round out the top five. The West Coast Conference doesn't come in until No. 61. Here how the teams stack up:

No. 61 -- Gonzaga -- $6.25 million

No. 82 -- BYU -- $3.88 million

Continue reading on Examiner.com WCC: Gonzaga tops conference in revenue - National WCC basketball | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/wcc-basketball-in-national/wcc-gonzaga-tops-conference-revenue#ixzz1bF9EHQgl
How the hell does Duke bring in that much revenue?

77Zag
10-19-2011, 08:15 AM
Zach Farmer writes in he Examiner on (http://www.examiner.com/wcc-basketball-in-national/wcc-gonzaga-tops-conference-revenue) Gonzaga's rank in the conference as to basketball revenues. The linked story in the piece lists all college programs in the nation, starting with #1 Duke at $26 million.
How the hell does Duke bring in that much revenue?

Dickie V gives his salary to Coach K and his Dukies.

zagzilla
10-19-2011, 08:38 AM
Notables:

UW #22 $11.5M but still behind AZ, UCLA in PAC 12 spending

In terms of not getting their money's worth, Arkansas comes in at#13 spending $15.5M for not much near as I can tell. If they aren't going to use it properly, maybe they can send it our way :-)

ZZ

TexasZagFan
10-19-2011, 08:47 AM
What's with St. Mary's? Apparently, their recent success hasn't resulted in strong revenue growth.

Zag 77
10-19-2011, 08:58 AM
At the Gonzaga Lunch Bunch last week AD Mike Roth said only a handful of schools in the country have budgets in the black for their athletic departments. GU is not one of them. They still draw a budget from the school, but they don't have to do as much because of recent athletic success. He said NCAA revenue from the schools that go to the tournament helps run the WCC. That is not really as inequitable as one might think, since the WCC does not charge annual dues as do many other conferences. He said that ESPN confernce games get split among the conference, but GU gets to keep all the money it gets from non-ESPN games and non-league games.

Kiddwell
10-19-2011, 09:21 AM
He said that ESPN confernce games get split among the conference, but GU gets to keep all the money it gets from non-ESPN games and non-league games.

The $$$ from those ESPN/CBS/ABC games must come in handy. Three cheers for our strong OOC: Arizona, ND, Xavier, etc. Kind of surprised, though, that our sports teams still have to dip into the school's general fund to finance the entire operation.

:]

CanadianZagFan
10-19-2011, 09:30 AM
How much of this money is from licencing? Gonzaga needs to start selling more swag if so.

tobizag
10-19-2011, 09:39 AM
GU's expense numbers look awfully suspicious considering they are, to the last $, exactly the same amount as our revenue.

ZagNative
10-19-2011, 09:43 AM
GU's expense numbers look awfully suspicious considering they are, to the last $, exactly the same amount as our revenue.It's reported that way every year. I don't fully understand it, but I believe it has something to do with the fact Gonzaga is a private school and may not have the same reporting requirement as publicly financed institutions.

The Dept. of Education site that provided the data for the stories is here (http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/index.aspx). I blunder through it every year it seems, but I never really come out understanding what it all means or how useful the information is.

DADoZAG
10-19-2011, 09:59 AM
Before the startup of another conspiracy theory followed by a sky is falling board meltdown…

At the Gonzaga Lunch Bunch last week AD Mike Roth said only a handful of schools in the country have budgets in the black for their athletic departments. GU is not one of them. They still draw a budget from the school, but they don't have to do as much because of recent athletic success.

GU's expense numbers look awfully suspicious considering they are, to the last $, exactly the same amount as our revenue.

It's reported that way every year. I don't fully understand it, but I believe it has something to do with the fact Gonzaga is a private school and may not have the same reporting requirement as publicly financed institutions.

Just an interpolation…

I believe Quote 1 might be the explanation for Quote 2. GU spends all it gets plus. They just don't have to report the "plus” as supported in Quote 3.

Tick, tick, tick,…

Go ZAGS!

DixieZag
10-19-2011, 10:08 AM
I believe that Director Roth is correct about a "handful" of Athletic Departments being in the black - - but I have to think that he is referring to non-football schools, I have been to Texas on game day, been to Utah, Southern Miss, Univ. of Hawaii - like many of you, I have seen the money they are pouring into the football programs, and there can be only ONE reason - they make money for the school. If there wasn't a net gain, then I just can't see the exponential increases in expenses that I have seen.

There are other factors to consider, too - regarding Gonzaga and whether the AD is actually in the "red" in totality. No one who has been around the school in the last 15 years can deny that since the increased visibility gained through the BB programs, there has been a corresponding increase in applications, class size, donations, building. It may be true that "hard" athletic receipts don't cover all costs - but anyone looking around the campus would be hard pressed to not say that the increased growth and the increased endowment didn't owe a great deal to the athletic department.

SWZag
10-19-2011, 11:01 AM
There are other factors to consider, too - regarding Gonzaga and whether the AD is actually in the "red" in totality. No one who has been around the school in the last 15 years can deny that since the increased visibility gained through the BB programs, there has been a corresponding increase in applications, class size, donations, building. It may be true that "hard" athletic receipts don't cover all costs - but anyone looking around the campus would be hard pressed to not say that the increased growth and the increased endowment didn't owe a great deal to the athletic department.

Well said. Those are hard intangibles to put a specific dollar value on, but they are a direct result of the athletic departments success. And continued success will continue to grow those areas, size-wise and financially.

SWZag

Timeout!
10-19-2011, 11:08 AM
http://booksellersueg.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/show-me-the-money.jpg?w=350&h=270

Zag 77
10-19-2011, 02:06 PM
I seem to recall a basic accounting class for non-business majors at GU in which the prof said that on a balance sheet assets and liabilities must match. I think we learned that right after the class where they taught the correct way to wear a pocket protector and a green accountant's visor.