PDA

View Full Version : Our TOUGHEST games...

Baldwinzag
10-19-2011, 07:38 AM
Considering ESPN (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/schedule/_/id/2250/gonzaga-bulldogs), Gozags.com (http://www.gozags.com/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=26400&SPID=90846&SPSID=627529), and most importantly, Woohoo (http://guboards.com/showpost.php?p=688242&postcount=1) have released our official & final schedule for the 2011-2012 season, I'd be curious to know which game(s) you believe will be our 'toughest' games? Feel free to review the linked schedules to make your picks.

Which will be our toughest...

OOC home game?

OOC road game?

Team to match-up with?

Game to watch for all 40 mins aka biggest blow-out?

Game to NOT have the opportunity to watch in person?

WCC home game?

WCC away game?

Angelo Roncalli
10-19-2011, 08:03 AM
Here's a shot at it:

Considering ESPN (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/schedule/_/id/2250/gonzaga-bulldogs), Gozags.com (http://www.gozags.com/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=26400&SPID=90846&SPSID=627529), and most importantly, Woohoo (http://guboards.com/showpost.php?p=688242&postcount=1) have released our official & final schedule for the 2011-2012 season, I'd be curious to know which game(s) you believe will be our 'toughest' games? Feel free to review the linked schedules to make your picks.

OOC home game? Michigan State

OOC road game? Xavier

Team to match-up with? Xavier

Game to watch for all 40 mins aka biggest blow-out? Longwood

Game to NOT have the opportunity to watch in person? Carroll College

WCC home game? BYU

WCC away game? SMC

SWZag
10-19-2011, 08:04 AM

OOC road game? Arizona

Team to match-up with? Arizona

Game to watch for all 40 mins aka biggest blow-out? Longwood

Game to NOT have the opportunity to watch in person? Longwood

WCC home game? St. Mary's

WCC away game? St. Mary's

Baldwinzag
10-19-2011, 08:17 AM
Thanks for the responses guys...great stuff!

Having said that, I guess I should have worded one of the questions differently.

Due to my unfortunate usage of the English language and in staying with the format, I asked one of the questions incorrectly.

My intention was to ask "If you could choose one game to watch in person -- home or away -- which game would be?"

Instead, the perception was "which game wouldn't you want to watch in person?"

My apologies.

It was more to find out which game is the toughest to 'pass up' if you're unable to attend.

zagzilla
10-19-2011, 08:28 AM
Toughest OOC opponent: either Xavier or Arizona
Toughest OOC road game: Xavier (Seattle will be pro Zag)
Toughest WCCC road game: BYU
Toughest home game Mich St

awberke
10-19-2011, 08:31 AM

OOC road game? Illinois

Team to match-up with? Xavier

Game to watch for all 40 mins aka biggest blow-out? San Diego

Game to NOT have the opportunity to watch in person? Arizona

WCC home game? St. Mary's

WCC away game? BYU

Timeout!
10-19-2011, 10:02 AM
Our toughest home game will be WSU or Butler, imo.

Why?

Mich St is always talented, but their style of play is exactly what we love to do & play best against. They like to run, bang underneath, hit the boards, play physical inside the perimeter, etc. I think we match-up well vs them and will always try to play us one-on-one, which Sacre, Dower, & Elias will exploit.

WSU is the best combination of guards we'll see all season, save Xavier. Moore, Capers, Faisel Aden, Ladd, & Lacy are tremendous talents and proven players at every level; Lacy is only one who hasn't dominated a game in D1. I think WSU will provide much more of a challenge than any of us are expecting. There lack of big bodies underneath will hurt their rebounding/interior defense, but have a feeling Moore & Aden are going to light us up from the guard/wing positions. Not to mention Coach Bone seems to have our # and always plays us tough.

Butler is a Zag killer; both from a Coaching & style perspective. Their ability to instill their tempo, which is slow, half-court sets & defense drives our players to rushing shots, forcing passes, making poor decisions with the ball. No matter who they put on the floor, they compete for 40 mins. They hustle more, play harder, and get more out of their players than any other team since Indiana in the 1970's.

Our toughest road game will be Xavier. If Frease returns from suspension they are a Top-10 team this year. They have the most electric, dynamic non-freshman PG in the Country in Tu Holloway. The dude can put up 30pts against anyone, especially our backcourt defense.

Our toughest match-up will be Arizona. Long, lean, athletic, and rangy describes their entire team top-to-bottom. Easily a Top-15 team the entire season, plus they have featured Top-10 recruiting classes the past 3 years and their Coach is one of the best in the biz. Maybe the most talented team West of the Mississippi. Sacre should be the only mis-match, b/c their guards and wings are tall, strong, and quick. Will be tough to win, let alone hang with this type of team.

The biggest blow-out will be Longwood. Even NAIA's Carroll College features 3 D1 transfers on their roster -- some from Utah St, Southern Utah, etc. CC will offer a much better challenge than Longwood. If we don't win by 40+pts, it'd be a disappointment.

If I could choose to watch one game it'd be Michigan St. The moxy, tradition, & headlining match-up is one for the ages at K2.

Toughest WCC road game will be BYU. Their arena sells out 18,000 for nearly every game. They are rabid, loud, and communal with cheers. Very tough place to play and have one of the best home records in the decade at home. Rememeber, SDSU's ONLY loss came to BYU at their home court. The most impressive team in WCC will be St Mary's, but we know their team, home floor, and seem to win away games there year after year. BYU is the unknown and will be shocking to play on the road given their HC advantage.

Toughest WCC home game will be St Mary's or USF. Until St Mary's loses, they have owned us on our home floor. Only as good as your last game applies here. St Mary's is so vastly underrated its not even funny anymore. Yes, they lost Mickey McConnell but gain 2 starting D1 transfers(7'0" 270 lb Rowley & 13ppg scorer in McCoy), along with the continued development of Rob Jones, Dellavedova, Holt, Page, Williams, Walker, etc -- all Zag killers at one point or another in their careers.

I'd also like to mention how tough the Illini will be on their home floor. Last time we faced them it was at the Bulls' arena and they were still in full force. I attended a Illinois - Northwestern game in Assembly Hall a couple years back and was blown away by the atmosphere. I've attended 50+ Gonzaga home games and only ONE game comes to mind that compares to their presence vs an average NW team. They seat around 17,000 and the students and community from Champaign wear the same colors and go CRAZY. Champaign doesn't really have local rich corporate folk who buy season tickets b/c its the "thing to do" from November-March and not even much of a fan. Their residents were generally born, raised, grown up, and save all year around to attend the schools they've been around their entire lives. Its a true College town in every sense of the term. Very passionate fan base.

duper
10-19-2011, 11:37 AM
Wsu will be tough because we are going to rely on talented but inexperienced guards in bell and pangs and we play them right out of the shoot