PDA

View Full Version : ESPN.com GU OOC Sched is Toughest

DixieZag
10-17-2011, 10:21 AM
I can't link on this computer, but the espn.com college bb page goes through toughest OOC schedules conference by conference and rates the schedule as 1-10 - 10 being the toughest. They rank GU as a 9, tougher than BYU's 8 and USF's 1.

It is an interesting look around the conference, Rex Walters decided it wasn't in the school's interest to take "pay dates" and thus, I feel, he undermines his team a bit since they will not be tested much at all. SCU has a chance to face some good teams, surprisingly, SMC gets an "incomplete" b/c their entire schedule is not out yet.

Its worth a look.

Angelo Roncalli
10-17-2011, 10:32 AM
SMC gets an "incomplete" b/c their entire schedule is not out yet.

SMC's preconference schedule is finally out. It's pretty sad:

Fresno Pacific McKeon Pavilion (Moraga, Calif.)
Northern Iowa McKeon Pavilion (Moraga, Calif.) Denver at Denver, Colo.
San Francisco State McKeon Pavilion (Moraga, Calif.) Either Jacksonville State or Weber State McKeon Pavilion (Moraga, Calif.)
Cal Poly at San Luis Obispo, Calif.
Jackson State McKeon Pavilion (Moraga, Calif.)
North Carolina A&T McKeon Pavilion (Moraga, Calif.)
Bethune-Cookman McKeon Pavilion (Moraga, Calif.)
Kennesaw State McKeon Pavilion (Moraga, Calif.)
Eastern Washington McKeon Pavilion (Moraga, Calif.)
Baylor at Las Vegas, Nev. 7:30 p.m.
Missouri State at Las Vegas, Nev. 8:30 p.m.

hooter73
10-17-2011, 10:37 AM
Wow thanks WCC teams for legitimizing the conference. At what point do we look for greener fields?

Therunner
10-17-2011, 10:43 AM
WOW!

First time I've seen this disgraceful schedule in person...ouch.

Must be pretty confident they'll win in Vegas, ay?

Talk about banking your hopes of making the post-season on ONE game. I don't think splitting with BYU & Gonzaga are enough in the eyes of the Committee.

What the heck are they doing in Moraga? They are better than this, aren't they?

Sad day to be a SMC season-ticket holder -- plus, I heard they just increased their individual ticket prices by nearly double. Good luck with that...

LongIslandZagFan
10-17-2011, 10:44 AM

San Francisco State McKeon Pavilion (Moraga, Calif.) Either Jacksonville State or Weber State McKeon Pavilion (Moraga, Calif.)

Outside of NIowa and Baylor that is a platter full of garbage... They had better not dare lose one of those cupcake games.

Therunner
10-17-2011, 10:50 AM
A humorous, self-deprecating thread on the St Mary's board re: their OOC schedule:

You know your schedule is bad when... (http://godisagael.yuku.com/topic/5366/You-know-your-schedule-is-bad-when#.Tpx4VOt5EzY)

77Zag
10-17-2011, 10:53 AM
What no gas for any plane rides?
They can bus to all their games.
Cal Poly, really...

Not looking like a program on the rise anymore.

gu03alum
10-17-2011, 10:54 AM
I can't link on this computer, but the espn.com college bb page goes through toughest OOC schedules conference by conference and rates the schedule as 1-10 - 10 being the toughest. They rank GU as a 9, tougher than BYU's 8 and USF's 1.

It is an interesting look around the conference, Rex Walters decided it wasn't in the school's interest to take "pay dates" and thus, I feel, he undermines his team a bit since they will not be tested much at all. SCU has a chance to face some good teams, surprisingly, SMC gets an "incomplete" b/c their entire schedule is not out yet.

Its worth a look.

Here's the link (http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/36316/nonconference-schedule-analysis-wcc)

Angelo Roncalli
10-17-2011, 10:58 AM
Consider USF...

North Dakota St.
Northern Ariz.
La.-Lafayette
San Jose St.
at Seattle U
at Dartmouth @ 2011 Carrs/Safeway Great Alaska Shootout
TBA @ 2011 Great Alaska Shootout Semifinals/Consolation Semifinals
TBA @ Championship/Consolation 2011 Great Alaska Shootout
at Montana
Pacific Union
Pacific
Menlo College
at Holy Cross

Walters has said he's not playing any "guarantee" games. He's replaced them with home games against non-D-1 Pacific Union and Menlo College. There are no BCS conference teams in the GAS this year. The "best" team USF has a chance of facing is Mississippi State. USF also plays in Anchorage's bracket, so there could be another non-D-1 game. http://www.goseawolves.com/downloads2/417090.pdf
Guarantee games pay as much as $80,000. Seems like that would go a long way toward paying assistant coaches' salaries and at least give USF a shot a marquee win.

jazzdelmar
10-17-2011, 12:00 PM
some of our wcc brethren are a joke, one that unfortunately reflects on the whole league.....espn must "love" this competitiveness (sarcasm)

ShipstadPilot11
10-17-2011, 12:09 PM
I'm biased, but I think UP deserves some credit here. It's easy to rag on some members of the WCC but the Pilots check in with a score of 7 and the third toughest schedule of the conference.

Coach Rev has turned this program around and each year our recruits get better. As I recall, Gonzaga has escaped the Chiles Center with 3-point wins the last two years. We're doing our best to reach the top of the conference and stay there.

sittingon50
10-17-2011, 12:16 PM
Going to the WCC composite schedule the 1st date I find where usf, SMC & GU are playing the same day is 12-17:

Bethune-Cookman @SMC
Menlo College @usf
Arizona vs GU (Seattle)

The GU game is on CBS. No word yet which networks will be picking up the other 2.

P.S.

Coach Rev has a lot of respect on this board Shipstad. We know he'll go out & compete.

DADoZAG
10-17-2011, 12:21 PM
Bethune-Cookman @SMC
Menlo College @usf
Arizona vs GU (Seattle)

The GU game is on CBS. No word yet which networks will be picking up the other 2.

:lmao:

Keep us informed, sitting, I'll need time to get the DVR set to record!

Go ZAGS!

Angelo Roncalli
10-17-2011, 12:35 PM

Sad day to be a SMC season-ticket holder -- plus, I heard they just increased their individual ticket prices by nearly double. Good luck with that...

The interesting part of this is that either St. Mary's is paying $50K or so a game to bring those teams in this year, or will be making some interesting and lengthy road trips to some pretty obscure places next year (or in later years) for one-and-one payback games. Neither prospect is very enticing.

LongIslandZagFan
10-17-2011, 12:43 PM
some of our wcc brethren are a joke, one that unfortunately reflects on the whole league.....espn must "love" this competitiveness (sarcasm)

Pitt and Uconn ain't much better. Just sayin'

Angelo Roncalli
10-17-2011, 12:44 PM
SMC fans on their schedule this year (from God is a Gael):

You know your schedule is bad when....

1....you can't point out on a map where the other team is from...

2...you have no idea what the team's mascot is...

3....you are unsure if the team is even a Division I opponent...

4.....you readily confuse the opponent with another higher profile school with a similar name...(and think, that's the one you are playing)...

5 ....you have a four game stretch at home that reads like a NASCAR schedule...

6....Einstein's definition of insanity is more than a metaphor when applied to the schedule...

7... your grandmother's bingo team would give the team more of a run for its money...

8... you'd rather watch Nancy Grace stomping her hoofs on Dancing with the Stars over any of your team's OOC games...

9... you look forward to the 5th graders playing at half time to see some real competition...

10....you hear Dirt McGirt exclaim "Jackson State on a Tuesday night in December?....That's great value!

11....thoughts of leaving the game at half time to beat traffic becomes reality...

12... your wife says "hey do you want to skip the game to see the new Jennifer Aniston rom-com" and you have to actually think about it before saying "No."

13....you attend the OOC portion of games purely for the Omar bobblehead that doesn't look like Omar

14... even MJ doesn't make it a point to catch the OOC games.

15.......you have to pay someone to take your your non-conference tickets, and they are for courtside seats.

16.........you pray your season ticket package doesn't arrive until just prior to the BYU game.

17... you'd rather watch Rosie O'Donnell's acting in "Riding the Bus with my Sister." It's a real gem if you've never seen it.

Terrifteacher
10-17-2011, 12:48 PM
If Portland keeps improving it can only help out both Gonzaga and Portland. This northwest road trip could be tough for other league teams. As far as soft schedules go, the WCC will only improve in the eyes of basketball fans (and potential recruits) when these teams get a clue that you can't schedule non Division 1 teams and/or weak D-1 teams. Teams in BCS conferences play weaker schedules because their leagues are much stronger. The schedule Gonzaga puts together each year is impressive, but this year is one of the toughest in a long time and some of those key games are at the Kennel!

Kiddwell
10-17-2011, 12:50 PM

Baylor should be rated in the Top Fifteen, yes? Northern Iowa is a challenge too, correct? If the Gaels win both those games and sweep BYU (not gonna beat us), then that's four noteworthy wins.

CDC84
10-17-2011, 01:03 PM
FWIW - Northern Iowa is considered to be a mid-level (at best) MVC team this season. Some publications have them near the bottom of the league. Creighton and Wichita State will likely be the class of that league.

It looks as though SMC will be a visiting team for ESPN Bracketbusters:

http://www.espnmediazone3.com/us/2011/09/28/espn%E2%80%99s-sears-bracketbusters-features-largest-pool-in-history/

Opponent TBD. That game come sometimes help, but you need to win the game....something that is much more difficult to do on the road.

Martin Centre Mad Man
10-17-2011, 01:12 PM
A humorous, self-deprecating thread on the St Mary's board re: their OOC schedule:

You know your schedule is bad when... (http://godisagael.yuku.com/topic/5366/You-know-your-schedule-is-bad-when#.Tpx4VOt5EzY)

They do have some funny posters on that board. I always enjoy a good laugh when Dirt McGirt pokes his head up on our board.

zagzilla
10-17-2011, 01:33 PM
In fairness, the ESPN scale went to 10 and there were 2-3 schools including one BCS team that got a 10. Xavier might be one as well. Our 9 was one of several. We probably don't have the toughest OOC merely one of the top 10 or so.

Not that I'm complaining

ZZ

GU69
10-17-2011, 02:00 PM

They may not have a very good schedule, but I like the SMC board.

bigblahla
10-17-2011, 06:07 PM
Where did Rex play? Who did RB work for as an assistant?

Both teams only hope for post season play regardless of who they play is the WCC regular season and WCC tournament.

So would USF rather start the WCC season at 5-8. 6-7 or 7-6 when they can go into conference at 10-3 or 11-2.

Same with the Gaels and their schedule if they have more than 3 losses to start conference play I would be shocked.

Neither team was going to get to post season (the Dance) with any OOC schedule they could put together this year so why not go light build up team confidence and play hard in conference.

For the record I've always thought the only team in the WCC who gives a hoot about RPI is the Zags as we are the only team with anything to lose. If any other WCC team makes the Dance they have had a monstrous season at GU it's expected. We are a spoiled bunch of Zaggies.

Each coach is doing what's best for his team as he sees it and even though I think it sucks for the Zags I understand why there is a steady parade of no names to Moraga and Frisco.

Ain't gonna matter cause we're gonna whippem both anyway. :cheers:

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

Therunner
10-17-2011, 06:31 PM
So would USF rather start the WCC season at 5-8. 6-7 or 7-6 when they can go into conference at 10-3 or 11-2.

Same with the Gaels and their schedule if they have more than 3 losses to start conference play I would be shocked.

Neither team was going to get to post season (the Dance) with any OOC schedule they could put together this year so why not go light build up team confidence and play hard in conference.

Tell that to the SMC & USF students, fan-base, & ticket holders.

NotoriousZ
10-17-2011, 06:40 PM
They may not have a very good schedule, but I like the SMC board.

I went there...once. Caught a virus, never been back. True story.

bigblahla
10-17-2011, 09:08 PM
Tell that to the SMC & USF students, fan-base, & ticket holders.

Yep some of the above will piss and moan about the schedule until they get to double digit wins in the OOC and then they'll be the next best thing to sliced bread.

However on each team the players will be brimming with confidence and have a swagger. It won't matter who they beat they will have the attitude of winners, the same attitude that the Zags have. The kind of attitude necessary to contend for a championship.

Maybe I'm giving Rex and RB too much credit but I think they purposely set their schedules to allow their teams to excell in the OOC in an attempt to give them a mental edge going into conference play.

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

UberZagFan
10-17-2011, 10:38 PM
Uber thought this thread was about GU's OOC schedule. His bad. Yes, SMC and USF's OOC schedule is crap...yadayadayada...

hooter73
10-18-2011, 07:02 AM
Yep some of the above will piss and moan about the schedule until they get to double digit wins in the OOC and then they'll be the next best thing to sliced bread.

However on each team the players will be brimming with confidence and have a swagger. It won't matter who they beat they will have the attitude of winners, the same attitude that the Zags have. The kind of attitude necessary to contend for a championship.

Maybe I'm giving Rex and RB too much credit but I think they purposely set their schedules to allow their teams to excell in the OOC in an attempt to give them a mental edge going into conference play.

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

Well yes they are set up for great success all the way until they get slapped by reality when they are nailed by a decent team. That confidence balloon will pop quickly Im thinking. Plus as mentioned what do schedules like these do for recruiting?

kitzbuel
10-18-2011, 08:07 AM

You mean that's not North Carolina at McKeon Pavilion?

Baldwinzag
10-18-2011, 08:39 AM

Is this real life?
http://static5.businessinsider.com/~~/f?id=4c2901557f8b9af605680000&maxX=400&maxY=300

titopoet
10-18-2011, 08:41 AM
WOW!

First time I've seen this disgraceful schedule in person...ouch.

Must be pretty confident they'll win in Vegas, ay?

Talk about banking your hopes of making the post-season on ONE game. I don't think splitting with BYU & Gonzaga are enough in the eyes of the Committee.

Can't blame them. They have hard time getting people to play them. GU will bring ESPN, St Mary does not have that luxury and why risk losing to St. Mary (even at home) rather than playing cupcakes. VCU, ODU, and many of the powers of the mid majors have the same problems. GU, Butler, Memphis, and Xaiver have transcend this problem with the help of ESPN, but St Mary has yet to get that level. (Pepperdine, LMU and San Diego have easier time as they are seen as a sure W. )