PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Guard from New Mexico - Cullen Neal

SWZag
10-17-2011, 07:59 AM
I didn't see this anywhere, but if I missed it, just delete this post.

6'4 Combo guard out of Eldorado High in Albuquerque.

Slipper Still Fits - Cullen Neal (http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2011/10/14/2490159/2013-guard-cullen-neal-reportedly-visiting-gonzaga-this-weekend)

Neal currently holds offers from Arizona State, Oregon State, Portland, San Francisco, and Tulane. He has already taken unofficial visits to Stanford, St. Mary's, and Oregon State. The combo guard is the son of New Mexico assistant coach Craig Neal and, yes, he is receiving interest from them as well. In addition to the Lobos, he is getting interest from a number of WCC & Pac-12 schools but has also heard from Tennessee, Florida State, and Vanderbilt.

Questions & Answers w/ 2013 Cullen Neal (http://www.premierball.com/questions-answers-w-2013-cullen-neal/)

SWZag

BobZag
10-17-2011, 08:46 AM
quite underwhelming

zach lavine is the guy we need to nab.

75Zag
10-17-2011, 08:52 AM
I like Lavine, good in state product and all that, but six feet tall and 150 pounds?

Is GU positioning itself to dominate a secret new Bantam Weight classification for NCAA Division I Men's BB?

Sheesh!

Go Bulldogs! Get BIGGER! AS IN BIG!

cjm720
10-17-2011, 08:58 AM
Sign him up.

cjm720
10-17-2011, 08:59 AM
quite underwhelming

zach lavine is the guy we need to nab.

Debbie Downer, Dude. Coach's son, scorer, very high IQ, has height and a couple more years to mature...sure Zach is a flat out stud, but would be silly to throw all our eggs in one basket.

BroncoZAG615
10-17-2011, 09:15 AM
I like Lavine, good in state product and all that, but six feet tall and 150 pounds?

Is GU positioning itself to dominate a secret new Bantam Weight classification for NCAA Division I Men's BB?

Sheesh!

Go Bulldogs! Get BIGGER! AS IN BIG!

Dude, Lavine would be a Gary Bell-esque get for Gonzaga. Perhaps even bigger. He's already been offered by UCLA, Texas, Cal, UW, WSU, and Baylor. I'm not too worried about his size when those kind of programs are on a 2013 prospect.

I have no doubt that the staff will grab a big and am still hoping that Karnowski comes over in the 2012 class. The staff is still hot on his trail as he decides if he wants to come over or not.

75Zag
10-17-2011, 09:46 AM
No worries. All I am saying is that my preference in point guards is more of a "Tyshawn Taylor" body style, maybe 6'4" and maybe 175 - 185 pounds. If Lavine is as good as you say he is, more power to him. I do get nervous when ESPN refers to him as having a "slight frame", even though they say he plays bigger than his frame. I didn't see a report on Scout or Rivals or ESPN regarding all the offers you report, but if he is good enough to start for UCLA or UW, hopefully he would be good enough to start for the Bulldogs.

Go Bulldogs! GET BIGGER!

Therunner
10-17-2011, 09:54 AM
Cullen Neal spent all weekend on Campus for an 'unofficial' visit.

He said it went "really great" via Twitter.

webspinnre
10-17-2011, 10:06 AM
All I am saying is that my preference in point guards is more of a "Tyshawn Taylor" body style, maybe 6'4" and maybe 175 - 185 pounds.

I might prefer that too, but the kind of guys with this size and the right skillset tend to be top 25 overall recruits, and rather tough gets for a program like ours. You have to trade off somewhere.

Therunner
10-17-2011, 10:14 AM
FWIW, his Father, Craig Neal, played for the Miami Heat, Denver Nuggets, & Portland Trail Blazers.

He was an NBA Scout for a few years, an Asst Coach for Toronto Raptors, Asst Coach for Iowa Hawkeyes(in their best years), and most recently Asst Head Coach for New Mexico Lobos(on the rise).

He also played for Georgia Tech in College:

At 6'5" and only 160 pounds, Craig "Noodles" Neal quickly arose as a fan favorite. Known for his passing ability, quickness, and court awareness.

Neal averaged a league-best 9.5 assists per game (11.6 in conference games) that season, which still stands as a single-season record at Georgia Tech. His 659 career assists was a school record at the time and now ranks third best at Tech. Neal's 5.2 career assist average is fourth best at Tech and his 127 career steals is the 11th best total at the school.

This kid has a pretty impressive basketball pedigree and has been around the game since he was born. He's going into his Junior year and seems to be ahead of where his Father was at the same stage -- I like the idea of this kid, especially considering Pangos & Bell Jr will be Juniors by the time he arrives on Campus. He's supposed to be an elite shooter as well...

maynard g krebs
10-17-2011, 12:35 PM
No worries. All I am saying is that my preference in point guards is more of a "Tyshawn Taylor" body style, maybe 6'4" and maybe 175 - 185 pounds. If Lavine is as good as you say he is, more power to him. I do get nervous when ESPN refers to him as having a "slight frame", even though they say he plays bigger than his frame. I didn't see a report on Scout or Rivals or ESPN regarding all the offers you report, but if he is good enough to start for UCLA or UW, hopefully he would be good enough to start for the Bulldogs.

Go Bulldogs! GET BIGGER!

Lavine could be the second coming of Stephon Curry. He went to Davidson because the ACC coaches thought he was too skinny. And his brother went to Jerry Falwell U or something before transferring to Duke.

Bronco is correct. Lavine should be as good as Bell. Of the players I've heard of the Zags recruiting in the next couple years, he's the one I want to see them sign, and there's no close second.

ZagNative
10-17-2011, 02:32 PM
Cullen Neal spent all weekend on Campus for an 'unofficial' visit.

He said it went "really great" via Twitter.From Rivals (http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1280204), via SSF:
Cullen Neal (Gonzaga):

"I loved my visit. Loved the school and the coaches. I have a good connection with the coaching staff. I can really see myself fitting in, and I got along with the players really well. I also love how Gonzaga is a big-time basketball school and the tradition they have. … I thought the Zags brought a lot of energy and had two really good practices. It looks like they are going to be really good this year, led by their bigs Robert Sacre and Elias Harris," Neal told Rivals.com. He's currently ranked #147 on Rivals Top 150 for 2013 (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/rankings/rank-2752). Zach Lavine is ranked #137 on their list.

duper
10-17-2011, 03:23 PM
Lavine will go to UCLA.

BroncoZAG615
10-17-2011, 03:32 PM
Lavine will go to UCLA.

Could we please wager something on this? Perhaps two tickets to a game or something of the sort?

Therunner
10-17-2011, 04:05 PM
I consider myself a realist, maybe borderline pessimist when it comes to Gonzaga Bball, especially recruiting.

I just heard St Mary's is super high on Neal and a priority for 2013. If Randy Bennett and SMC is planning to go All-IN on this kid, it is good enough for me.

He's smart, tall, can play both PG/SG, and has all the skills to do well at Gonzaga. I'm a fan of his father playing, coaching, and scouting in the NBA & at the D1 level -- a Coaches son is never a bad thing. He is a gym rat and has the mind of a Coach. I like him.

He was scoring 25 ppg in his AAU league, & was averaging 21 ppg as a Sophomore in HS. We'll see how he does as a Junior. Will be fun to follow this kid.

He's like Kyle Dranginis with just a little more meat on his bones.

Zagdawg
10-17-2011, 05:06 PM
It sounds like he likes us and he has great potential.

Sign him and get it over with.

maynard g krebs
10-17-2011, 05:11 PM
Zach Lavine is ranked #137 on their list.

Greg Hicks also compares Lavine to Curry, noting the fact that he's very immature physically for his age. Curry's offers were Davidson, VCU, and Winthrop. Va Tech, where he wanted to go, invited him to walk on. Lavine's early offers from Texas, UCLA, UW, Cal, GU say he's far, far better than 137 in any class.

CDC84
10-17-2011, 07:53 PM
Lavine is very interested in GU and will be paying Gonzaga an unofficial visit in the future. He's not as high on UCLA as he once was. Some things have changed with UCLA recruiting, including the verbal of elite 2013 guard Kyle Anderson. 2013 PG Dominic Artis decommitted, but UCLA remains a legit option for him. There is little doubt that Lavine is a major priority for the GU staff in 2013. The sooner they can get him verbaled, the better.

It is really important for the GU staff to continue to successfully recruit the Seattle area for top 50 level talent. Gary Bell Jr. is a great start, and his commitment a major statement, but they need to keep the momentum going and get Lavine on board. Strike while the iron is hot.

ZagsGoZags
10-18-2011, 02:04 AM
the ridicule will stop when we get to Final Four

running the 4-guard line-up with no guard taller than 6'1"

CanadianZagFan
10-18-2011, 03:39 AM
Just going into his junior season he already has decent size for a guard at 6'4", if he hits another bit of a growth spurt at pushes to that 6'5-6'6 range he could slide in at the wing quite well.

Therunner
10-18-2011, 03:56 AM
the ridicule will stop when we get to Final Four

Yup.

Its crazy to think, but Gonzaga may be THEE biggest "name brand" in College hoops to never advance to a Final 4. Who else can you think of? Maybe Xavier?

This baseline of elite success is being used against in recruiting Top-100 kids. I guarantee it. Although we rank in the Top-5 for Sweet 16's, Conference Championships, Tourney Appearances, Wins, the list goes on...we are missing that one piece to take us to an entire new level.

Given the fact our brand is still hot, we are approaching critical stage if we still want to entice Top-100 type kids on a regular basis. Our yearly success, Tourney streak, & ESPN deal will always afford us the opportunity to recruit good talent, but a Final-4 would do WONDERS for a Gonzaga. Much, much more than it could ever do for a George Mason, VCU, et al. It would translate into much bigger things than it could ever for a 'flash in the pants' type of school.

I am not one whom automatically equates Success = Final 4, yet Gonzaga would be immediately placed in the Upper Echelon with this type of accomplishment. We are at the breaking point as it stands and in a unique position. Every sports analyst, writer, talking head, media outlet would go insane with Gonzaga breaking through, making it to their next level, going toe-to-toe with the best-of-best.

We'd never look back in the eyes of every critic, especially recruiting. It'd be like finally taking that first step on the Moon, winning the gold medal in the Olympics instead of a consistent bronze, or hitting land for the first time on a long successful voyage at sea...

It's almost inconceivable how much it'd benefit a school in our position.

Hope it happens one day, but then again, its not the benchmark of success, imo.

ZagsGoZags
10-20-2011, 12:30 AM
+1

it would be of inestimable value

SLOZag
11-22-2011, 12:48 AM
"Cullen Neal, son of [New Mexico] assistant Craig Neal, made an unofficial recruiting trip to Tempe, Ariz., last Friday for UNM’s 76-71 win at Arizona State. Cullen, a junior at Eldorado, is one of the state’s most-recruited prep stars, and Arizona State is high on his list.

"“I look at everything,” Cullen said of what could sway his ultimate decision. “The facility, talking to coaches to get a relationship with the coaches, the location, how hot it is, how cold it is. Just everything.”

"Cullen has also taken trips to Stanford, St. Mary’s (Calif.) and Gonzaga. As a junior, he cannot take official visits until next year. Neal says he’s already received scholarship offers from “quite a few schools,” including Oregon State, Arizona State, St. Mary’s, San Francisco and Portland. “Just a bunch. I’m keeping my options open.”"

http://www.abqjournal.com/sports/2011/11/22/lobo-mens-basketball-heads-to-anaheim.html

bostonzagfan
11-22-2011, 08:29 AM
what about lavine

bullzag23
11-22-2011, 09:02 AM
Yup.

It would translate into much bigger things than it could ever for a 'flash in the pants' type of school.

I don't think I've heard of this 'flash in the pants'. Describe it to me, it sounds interesting. :D

Also with regard to his 'slight frame' it's not like we haven't had any of those before. Derek Raivio and Austin Daye come to mind.

BobZag
11-22-2011, 09:34 AM
"Flashes in the pants" sounds dangerous to me.

I dig the Italian kid. Amadeus. Great musical mind, to boot.

Baldwinzag
11-22-2011, 09:45 AM

+∞

Amadeus, Amadeus. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVikZ8Oe_XA&ob=av2e)

MDABE80
11-22-2011, 12:53 PM
Get BOTH! Timing is perfect! Sound kids. If it came to one or the other, I'd take Lavine...he's still growing.

B LAKE ZAG
11-22-2011, 03:35 PM
Where is gonzaga on his list

75Zag
11-22-2011, 03:58 PM
This is a serious offer.

I will donate $50 to the charity of choice for the first person who helps me create a "no guards" graphic for my signature on this site. I am thinking about either the word "Guard" surrounded by a red circle with a slash through the middle like a no smoking sign, or perhaps something more clever.

Meanwhile, in honor of Jack Nicholson, I say "Go Sell Guards Somewhere Else, We Are All Stocked Up Here."

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger! No More Guards!

CaliforniaZaggin'
11-22-2011, 04:16 PM
I don't think I've heard of this 'flash in the pants'. Describe it to me, it sounds interesting.

Oh, uh, it's the pleats... the pleats in the pants. It's an optical illusion. I was just about to take them back... to the pants store. Oh, this is embarrassing.

maynard g krebs
11-22-2011, 05:29 PM
This is a serious offer.

I will donate $50 to the charity of choice for the first person who helps me create a "no guards" graphic for my signature on this site. I am thinking about either the word "Guard" surrounded by a red circle with a slash through the middle like a no smoking sign, or perhaps something more clever.

Meanwhile, in honor of Jack Nicholson, I say "Go Sell Guards Somewhere Else, We Are All Stocked Up Here."

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger! No More Guards!

Carter graduates this year, Landry next year. That's 2 spots.

Right now there are 2 elite guards in GB/KP, a potentially very good one in KD, and some nice role players. Far from being all stocked up imo.

With the 4 returning posts the Zags are are in pretty good shape inside. Getting one of these 2 guards, and I'm hoping for Lavine as much as I was hoping for Bell/Pangos, is huge.

MickMick
11-22-2011, 07:26 PM
The first question I ask about any guard.

Can he score?

If he can, I don't care how big he is. Hitting open shots is the great equalizer.

If he can't, I am extremely concerned with how big he is.

A rangy guy like Keita is a great player to compete against in practice. He gets your guys ready.

bostonzagfan
11-22-2011, 07:45 PM
Lavine isn't just another guard. He just seems like someone who is going to blow up IMO.

Would be a good get especially if Pangos or Bell leaves early for the NBA as some have suggested is possible, though I think it unlikely.

MDABE80
11-22-2011, 09:41 PM
no way either leaves early. not in the cards. both go the distance...

bullzag23
11-23-2011, 05:27 AM
Oh, uh, it's the pleats... the pleats in the pants. It's an optical illusion. I was just about to take them back... to the pants store. Oh, this is embarrassing.

Don't act like you're not impressed! :lmao:

cjm720
11-23-2011, 06:51 AM
Would be a good get especially if Pangos or Bell leaves early for the NBA as some have suggested is possible, though I think it unlikely.

This is just so silly. 3 effing games. Every "elite" player that's come in was supposed to go to the NBA and it didn't happen except with Daye (and that was a given) and Ammo (who suprised everyone). Early entry players don't really come to this school.

CDC84
11-23-2011, 08:26 AM
Zach Lavine please....

bostonzagfan
11-23-2011, 08:42 AM
no way either leaves early. not in the cards. both go the distance...

I certainly hope you are right. I think they will both stay for four years myself, but there have been rumblings. Lavine could play with Bell and Pangos I'm sure.

This is just so silly. 3 effing games. Every "elite" player that's come in was supposed to go to the NBA and it didn't happen except with Daye (and that was a given) and Ammo (who suprised everyone). Early entry players don't really come to this school.

I agree. Even if they were good enough to be taken in the second round after their junior year, I don't think they would give up a chance to be a special team their senior year.

Zach Lavine please....

Pretty Please!

BobZag
11-23-2011, 09:19 AM
I certainly hope you are right. I think they will both stay for four years myself, but there have been rumblings. Lavine could play with Bell and Pangos I'm sure.

I agree. Even if they were good enough to be taken in the second round after their junior year, I don't think they would give up a chance to be a special team their senior year.

Pretty Please!

With sugar?

ZagNative
11-23-2011, 01:09 PM
quite underwhelming

zach lavine is the guy we need to nab.Underwhelming? Really? From today's Albuquerque Journal (http://www.abqjournal.com/sports/2011/11/23/alford-scores-44-points-in-la-cuevas-overtime-win.html):

ELDORADO 85, RIO GRANDE 69: At Rio Grande, Cullen Neal scored a career-high 40 points and also dished out 11 assists as the Eagles overcame a sluggish start.

BobZag
11-23-2011, 01:59 PM
Underwhelming? Really? From today's Albuquerque Journal (http://www.abqjournal.com/sports/2011/11/23/alford-scores-44-points-in-la-cuevas-overtime-win.html):

Shoulda scored 50! :p

ZagNative
11-23-2011, 02:07 PM
Shoulda scored 50! :pAnd he could have, had he saved 5 of those 11 assists for himself.

Really, some of the folks here are just hopeless when it comes to hijacking threads. From experience, I know how aggravating it is to post something about a great prospect, only to have the peanut gallery rush forth to discount the kid and hype their own favorite.

It isn't as if Lavine, or della valle or anyone else is hanging out there just waiting for a nod from the staff on Boone Avenue. Sheesh ...

JPtheBeasta
11-23-2011, 02:34 PM
"Flashes in the pants" sounds dangerous to me.

Usually treatable with a gram of Rocephin I.M. and some azithromycin.

bostonzagfan
11-23-2011, 03:19 PM
I like Neal and the Italian too.

BobZag
11-23-2011, 05:18 PM
I like Neal and the Italian too.

Hell yeah, and Lavine, too, babyyy.

Therunner
11-23-2011, 06:27 PM
He's literally the Italian version of Matt Bouldin and then some...

Coach Few & Co, please go after this kid -- all in.

Watched more of his vids recently...holy cow...he's the next Manu Ginobili. No joke.

I believe Amadeus is NBA-Caliber type of talent. He can play PG, SG, SF.

Gonna be super tough to reel this kid in, yet could be a program-changer. A-mazing prospect -- once a decade kind of college player(won't last more than 2 yrs in NCAA)

Worthington
11-23-2011, 09:34 PM

Watched more of his vids recently...holy cow...he's the next Manu Ginobili. No joke.

Gonna be super tough to reel this kid in, yet could be a program-changer. A-mazing prospect -- once a decade kind of college player(won't last more than 2 yrs in NCAA)

I usually don't like making bold prediction like this, but I gotta say that watching his videos I felt the same way. He just looks like a gamer, instincts and hustle are off the charts and combined with his great physical attributes he's gonna be very very good. I agree it's gonna be very hard to nab him, but the coaching staff should be doing everything they can to convince him that Gonzaga is the place for him.

SWZag
11-24-2011, 01:14 AM

Why would we want him then?

Plus, as Zagnative already wrote, this thread was about a student athlete named Cullen Neal.

BobZag
11-24-2011, 08:55 AM
It's going to be verryyyy difficult to pry Neal away from his father at New Mexico. Most sons like playing for their dads if the dad is at a highly successful program. UNM is very sucessful nowadays.

ZagLawGrad
11-24-2011, 09:10 AM

It is silly, equally as silly to believe 3 games into the season that the Zags will make an E8 or FF this go around. It's realistic to believe that until these Frosh get a year or two under their belt, the Zags won't go any further than last year. Just keepin' it real in November.