PDA

View Full Version : Addition to the NCAA rules

ID ZAGFAN
10-15-2011, 04:16 PM
Just got my women's tickets with game day guide. Wanted to give everybody a heads up on a change (or clarification of the rules):

Quote from the last page of the guide:

Are you a representative of athletic interest?
As a representative you are not allowed to have written correspondence with a prospective student-athlete. This includes leaving written messages for recruits on a Facebook or MySpace Web Pages. If you are caught leaving messages for recruits on any web page, penalties could be as severe as disassociation of your relationship with Gonzaga Athletics.

ZaGranny

MDABE80
10-15-2011, 05:47 PM
"athletic interest"? Define that someone.... Futher, define "representative " some please?

Whoever wrote that little phrase should define it.

Does this mean an alum can't talk to the kids too? SOunds a bit silly.

ID ZAGFAN
10-15-2011, 06:33 PM
"athletic interest"? Define that someone.... Futher, define "representative " some please?

Whoever wrote that little phrase should define it.

Does this mean an alum can't talk to the kids too? SOunds a bit silly.

It is covered on that page:

"As an alumni, fan or friend of Gonzaga University you are considered a representative of athletic interest. Gonzaga is responsible for the actions of its athletics representatives. If an athletics representative violates an NCAA rule, even unintentionally, there are penalties against the university and the individuals involved. Once you're an athletics representative, you will retain that designation forever, even if an athletics representative no longer contributes to, or is no longer involved with, Gonzaga Athletics."

And yes, some of it does seems a bit silly--but who said the NCAA rules were necessarily sensible?

It is covered in the sticky on compliance, but I thought it was worth a heads up, because it is specific about social media and web pages.

ZaGranny

roxdoc
10-15-2011, 07:54 PM
So would someone who reads/contributes to this Board be a representative?

What is a "fan" and how can you prove/disprove it?

I can see an alumnus, a contributor, season ticket holder, Bulldog club, but how about someone who just watches occasionally on TV?

ID ZAGFAN
10-15-2011, 08:06 PM
So would somone who reads/contributes to this Board be a representative?

I would think so.

What is a "fan" and how can you prove/disprove it?

I have no idea if they have defined that.

I can see an alumnus, a contributor, seqason ticket holder, Bulldog club, but how about someone who just watches occassionally on FV?

I don't know, but I guess if I were in that category, I would check with the compliance officer before I contacted a recruit, knowing what I do about the rules.

The rules even specify that if you (as a RAI) have inadvertent contact with a recruit, you can exchange pleasantries, but are not supposed to talk to them about going to a particular school.

I researched this because I have a friend whose granddaughter is an outstanding BBall player, and I found out that I could not encourage her to
look into Gonzaga.

ZaGranny

krozman
10-15-2011, 09:12 PM
Given that my only link to Gonzaga Athletics is that I watch the games, i'm not scared.

That being said, who actually contacts recruits?

MDABE80
10-15-2011, 09:17 PM
Dunno Kroz...not sure who would even. But this sounds a bit fishy...like a HUGE overreach by the NCAA. Sounds like free speech is being infringed on.....

I wonder if NCAA has ever tried to enforce this...or if there's an example.

zagfan24
10-16-2011, 03:52 AM
...and the NCAA, to prove to just how "with the times" they are, puts out a stern warning about Myspace. :doh:

Seriously, though, these things are going to become increasingly harder to enforce. Representative of athletic interest is tough enough to clarify, but defining "contact" or "leaving a message" is going to be even harder. Twitter, facebook, etc. make the intended recipient of the message pretty amorphous.

kylasdad
10-16-2011, 06:36 AM
Maybe I should make donations to UW and WSU athletics then send D Johnson a little msg!

zag buddy
10-16-2011, 07:45 AM
So if I understand this right, if I don't give a #### about a young man I can have all the conversations I want with him, but if I'm a fan and really would like to see the young man do well I can't talk to him. Hmm seems resonable with our politically correct society today.

Pargo the Destroyer
10-16-2011, 11:43 AM
They are referring to recruits. If you are an adult why would you even want to try and talk to a high school kid thru facebook or twitter or MySpace (haha really) that you don't know and have nothing in common with other than him potentially going to a school you follow. Seems stalkerish to me. Let them sign and become part of the student body, then chat away.

ZagNative
10-16-2011, 12:51 PM
I wonder if NCAA has ever tried to enforce this...or if there's an example.I've kept an eye out for any possible examples of the "rule" being enforced and have yet to find one.

It's not a new rule, has been around a long time. I've always been conscious of it and careful not to contact recruits. No big deal.

RenoZag
10-16-2011, 01:10 PM
This Thread (http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=13176) also touches on the same issues. . .