PDA

View Full Version : It's time

GoZags
10-15-2011, 07:15 AM
Since Gonzaga's "cute little run" began in '99, there have been two remarkable 3 year streaks.

1. Only 3 schools went "back to back to back" Sweet 16 or beyond from '99 - '01. Duke, Michigan State and Gonzaga.

2. Only 2 schools went "back to back to back" Top 10 RPI from '04 - '06.
Duke and Gonzaga. Getting a Top 10 RPI from a non BCS conference is incredibly difficult -- yet the Zags did it 3 years in a row.

I sense something special about the group of guys pictured around Spike (okay, Rob was riding Spike -- not around him). I'm unsure what their future accomplishments will be -- but in my heart I believe we'll see something like the back to back to back Sweet 16 streak (only having the "or beyond" include the elusive Final Four). I also envision a Zag joining Dan Dickau and Adam Morrison as AP Top 5 All American. Elias has a chance this year -- and I'm eager to see the new kids -- I believe one (or more) of them will be incredibly special.
===
On another note -- this is my 1,500th post.... which I'd like to dedicate to the memory of my friend El Voce (Dick Shomberg) .... as well as to the memories of some of the others that our community (and extended community) have lost.

Some of you oldtimers may recall a little bit of pontification in my 1,000th post (2 years ago... just as October practice was starting).
http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=22834

At that time I was still recovering from a serious, life threatening medical situation and I recall thanking mdabe80, Marcy and a few others in that post. Now, I'm grateful to have my health, my family, my friends and this community.

It wasn't easy saying good bye to El Voce a couple of weeks ago. He was a great guy -- and a great Zag.

As for some of the others? I met peerzo only once personally -- but I continue to miss his contributions 4+ years after his passing.
http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=1833&highlight=peerzo

Some of us occasionally visit other message boards. Last year SCU's board lost their leader, Bronco66. I miss the good natured back and forth banter with him. Also, about the time of El Voce's illness and passing, the USF Dons had an incredibly well respected member of their community (Roundball) become ill and he recently passed. I've gotten to know Bob's (Roundball's) wife Judie a bit over the last month or two. Although there will always be "differences" with our rivals -- I believe there's so much more to all of this than simply winning.

Great Sportsmanship and Class have long been Hallmarks of Gonzaga Basketball -- not only during this "cute little run" but ever since I can remember.

And while I continue to cherish the victories -- I continue to be very proud of my Alma Mater.

Go Zags !!! It's time for this group of guys to do something incredibly special.

GoZags aka Ken Devones GU '77

TerpZag
10-15-2011, 09:47 AM
Since Gonzaga's "cute little run" began in '99, there have been two remarkable 3 year streaks.

1. Only 3 schools went "back to back to back" Sweet 16 or beyond from '99 - '01. Duke, Michigan State and Gonzaga.

2. Only 2 schools went "back to back to back" Top 10 RPI from '04 - '06.
Duke and Gonzaga. Getting a Top 10 RPI from a non BCS conference is incredibly difficult -- yet the Zags did it 3 years in a row.

I sense something special about the group of guys pictured around Spike (okay, Rob was riding Spike -- not around him). I'm unsure what their future accomplishments will be -- but in my heart I believe we'll see something like the back to back to back Sweet 16 streak (only having the "or beyond" include the elusive Final Four). I also envision a Zag joining Dan Dickau and Adam Morrison as AP Top 5 All American. Elias has a chance this year -- and I'm eager to see the new kids -- I believe one (or more) of them will be incredibly special.
===
On another note -- this is my 1,500th post.... which I'd like to dedicate to the memory of my friend El Voce (Dick Shomberg) .... as well as to the memories of some of the others that our community (and extended community) have lost.

Some of you oldtimers may recall a little bit of pontification in my 1,000th post (2 years ago... just as October practice was starting).
http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=22834

At that time I was still recovering from a serious, life threatening medical situation and I recall thanking mdabe80, Marcy and a few others in that post. Now, I'm grateful to have my health, my family, my friends and this community.

It wasn't easy saying good bye to El Voce a couple of weeks ago. He was a great guy -- and a great Zag.

As for some of the others? I met peerzo only once personally -- but I continue to miss his contributions 4+ years after his passing.
http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=1833&highlight=peerzo

Some of us occasionally visit other message boards. Last year SCU's board lost their leader, Bronco66. I miss the good natured back and forth banter with him. Also, about the time of El Voce's illness and passing, the USF Dons had an incredibly well respected member of their community (Roundball) become ill and he recently passed. I've gotten to know Bob's (Roundball's) wife Judie a bit over the last month or two. Although there will always be "differences" with our rivals -- I believe there's so much more to all of this than simply winning.

Great Sportsmanship and Class have long been Hallmarks of Gonzaga Basketball -- not only during this "cute little run" but ever since I can remember.

And while I continue to cherish the victories -- I continue to be very proud of my Alma Mater.

Go Zags !!! It's time for this group of guys to do something incredibly special.

GoZags aka Ken Devones GU '77

Thanks GoZags...well said!!!

Your Gonzaga community is pretty special...in many ways.

Congratulations on 1,500!

Go Zags!!!

MDABE80
10-15-2011, 10:59 AM
Well done GZ. To many many more seasons as we chase down the title and support each other while we're chasin away. Just glad you recovered so well.

"All things come to those who wait" my friend.
M

TheZagPhish
10-15-2011, 11:24 AM
Well stated, GZ. Cheers to our friends - close and afar, with us and remembered.

And best to this team! Go Zags!

GPGUgrad
10-15-2011, 02:13 PM
Nice post GZ!

and yes... it is time!

Can't wait.

mainer6
10-16-2011, 08:46 PM
I often picture the boards being filled by young, pompous frat boys. Your post reminds me that the boards probably consist of decent, thoughtful adults whose lives run much deeper than the boards can convey.

Zag79
10-16-2011, 10:42 PM
one of the best posts i have ever read, thank you GoZags! :000tens:

SpudDawg
10-16-2011, 11:08 PM
Thank you for this post and for all you do for this board and Gonzaga community.

77Zag
10-17-2011, 07:06 AM
KD, well done and a great post to put things in perspective.

Your GU Board name says it all ...

Go Zags!!

:cheers:

cjm720
10-17-2011, 08:16 AM
Bravo and kudos to a great perspective.

The Zags in life and death...to greatness.