PDA

View Full Version : Meehan's piece on Day 1.

MDABE80
10-14-2011, 08:19 PM
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2011/oct/14/newcomers-focus-zags-first-official-practice/?prefetch=1

Edi hurt his knee (MCL) when playing for his country??? Ut oh:(

Therunner
10-14-2011, 08:39 PM
Its a "sprained" MCL...I work in a Orthopedic clinic & surgery everyday and prognosis concerning the MCL is generally very good. Better than any tear of course, and if you had to choose a ligament, its the one to sprain, especially in basketball. MCL is rarely injured in this sport, but rather more of football or hockey injury...my guess is he had another player fall on his leg or sprained from a dunk or big jump...he should be fine(100%) in a couple weeks...we always tell our patients the MCL is the most resilient in terms of activity, considering its naturally protected medially/internally more than any other ligament in the knee...

Nevtelen
10-14-2011, 08:46 PM
I do watch a lot of soccer and I've seen lots of players come back from an MCL sprain pretty quickly. Mauro Rosales of the Sounders had a small tear in his MCL about 3 weeks ago and looks slated to come back either this week or next. If this is a sprain it might not even be that bad. I'd imagine that bball might require a bit more recovery time, since there's a lot more quick, lateral motion, but I'm not that worried yet.

MDABE80
10-14-2011, 08:59 PM
ACL is usually fixable......MCL is the hardest to fix. Anatomic considerations and all that... Nonetheless, we don't like "sprains" on any of our players. Takes some rest. Drat! I hope Edi rests that thing.

Therunner
10-14-2011, 09:18 PM
ACL is usually fixable......MCL is the hardest to fix. Anatomic considerations and all that... Nonetheless, we don't like "sprains" on any of our players. Takes some rest. Drat! I hope Edi rests that thing.

MCL is hardest to fix b/c its the most rare form of ligament tear in high functioning athletes, yet one of the most common "injuries"...however, it responds best, by far, to non-surgical treatments and heals the quickest of any ligament in the knee, especially to common sprains...

Its the most resilient area in the knee...we typically hear of ACL tears, menisci/articular tears, patellar dislocations, illiotibial issues, etc, but the MCL generally requires an outside force to alter the stability of the knee, causing it to buckle inward. The good news, if any, is its rarely injured on its 'own' like an ACL, PCL, or meniscus. MCL is not typically re-injured unless all the ligaments are compromised during injury.

Considering I spend 8-9 hours a day alongside 4 different Ortho's...a sprained MCL, if isolated, is a 'best case scenario' for active athletes.

MDABE80
10-14-2011, 09:32 PM
Well, let's hope so. My old friend Frank Jobe used to say none of em are good and none are ever completely normal if a sprain is severe. I guess nobody knows the severity just yet. Let's just hope it all goes away. Edi is an incredibly high functioning athlete. If he loses even one inch of his leaping or lateral mobility, I'm blamin you Runner! ;)

Therunner
10-14-2011, 09:39 PM
Well, let's hope so. My old friend Frank Jobe used to say none of em are good and none are ever completely normal if a sprain is severe. I guess nobody knows the severity just yet. Let's just hope it all goes away. Edi is an incredibly high functioning athlete. If he loses even one inch of his leaping or lateral mobility, I'm blamin you Runner! ;)

Sooo true...I forget we are talking about Guy "I can jump over cars" Landry here...the dude has a 40" vertical, folks. Its one thing to diagnose a 'normal' athlete, but to try and predict a prognosis for someone w/ superhero attributes is another thing all together!

We need this Guy healthy!

ZagNative
10-14-2011, 09:41 PM
Thanks for picking up on Meehan's post, Abe! Good stuff. Hoping we see some video from KREM 2 soon.

MDABE80
10-14-2011, 09:49 PM
I yield to you ZN......you always have the very best info. How you do it? I don't know but Dahhhhhhlink....... the season is now here. You're on!

stretchlimo
10-14-2011, 10:22 PM
re. Guy...the sprain occurred in their last game of the tournament (Aug.28). Happened mid 3rd quarter – I believe on a collision going after a rebound. After the dead ball, Guy hop-skipped off the court - without assistance, and favoring the one leg. Returned to start the 4th – wearing a brace iirc - and played another 5 minutes or so, looking no worse for wear imo.

At any rate, from ABE’s link:
Everybody appeared to be at full strength

Meehan also said:
My best guess (caution: after 60 minutes of watching) is that Gary Bell, Kevin Pangos and Landry Edi will at the very least be in the rotation, and I wouldn't be surprised if Ryan Spangler is as well.(link (http://www.spokesman.com/zags/blog/2011/oct/14/new-guys-impress-gus-first-practice/))

Add in Few’s quote about the newcomers being “very basketball ready, very quick at all the stuff we’ve already introduced ”, plus his repeat of praise for Elias, and it looks like All Systems Go.

Therunner
10-15-2011, 05:21 AM
GBJ is a given; KP too...

As several eluded to, Pangos has been the best shooter in Fall Camp, yes, that even includes Da Hoff. Its been a pleasant surprise considering Bell Jr & Dranginis were considered the purest 'shooters' of the incoming class. Having said that, shooting well in games or w/pressure on is another thing all together. For instance(& for fun), KP did win the team 3pt contest by a landslide, knocking down 21 3pt shots in 60 seconds, the next closest to him was 16(MM).

The best news of all is opposing teams will want to employ mucho zone to help neutralize our bigs and clog up the middle, yet we should make them pay this year by doing just that as Carter, Bell Jr, Hoff, Pangos et al are all capable of shooting 40+% from 3pt...the days of 4 vs 5 on offense the last 2 yrs are long gone. Even with 4 offensive weapons, Coach Few managed to still put up respectable #'s and they only improved when Meech was essentially replaced by Stockts/Carter.

MedZag
10-15-2011, 05:35 AM

Nice subtle name drop Abe ;)

ID ZAGFAN
10-15-2011, 09:31 AM
http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2011/oct/15/day-after-opening-day/

—The energetic Sacre was revved up Friday, even by his standards. He sported a cleanly shaven head and a headband.

“Just got bored,” he said. “Don’t leave me alone in my apartment because I’ll get bored and start doing dumb things like get tattoos and shave my head. That’s what happened.”

Sacre performed the hairectomy by himself, noting that nobody was injured in the process. “This,” he said, pointing to his face, “is the moneymaker right here, not the body.”

—I asked senior guard Marquise Carter for a rundown on the five freshmen.

“They’re unbelievable, really good,” he said.

On Gary Bell Jr.: “He can do it all, shoot, pass it, penetrate.”

On Kevin Pangos: “An all-around point guard, he sets us up well and he doesn’t really make a mistake.”

On Kyle Dranginis: “A really good shooter. He came in with confidence, shooting the ball well and he’s not afraid to shoot it.”

On Chris Sarbaugh: “He’s just aggressive, a hard worker who wants to get better in the weight room and on the court.”

On Ryan Spangler: “Can’t leave out the big fella. He pushes the big guys. He’s very aggressive, not scared of anybody. He goes against Rob hard, goes against ‘E’ (Elias Harris) hard. He rebounds the heck out of it.”

They are lots of other gems at the link.

ZaGranny

Therunner
10-15-2011, 09:51 AM
Pangos and David Stockton look like brothers. The two are built roughly the same with similar facial features. Pangos is a couple inches taller and about 25 pounds heavier, but they could pass as twins.

Its a subtle difference, but assuming all things equal b/w these two, this minor physical separation in height/weight could make a big difference down the road...

2 inches & 25 lbs could be the difference in drawing a hard foul in the lane & making an "And-1" or getting swallowed & a blocked shot.

MDABE80
10-15-2011, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by MDABE80
Well, let's hope so. My old friend Frank Jobe used to say none of em are good and none are ever completely normal if a sprain is severe. I guess nobody knows the severity just yet. Let's just hope it all goes away. Edi is an incredibly high functioning athlete. If he loses even one inch of his leaping or lateral mobility, I'm blamin you Runner!

"Nice subtle name drop Abe"

Famous collegues MedZag. Nothing to crow about.
Rubbing elbows does happen when you're in the Cedars loop. For those of us with a sense of history, my first patient was Steve McQueen ( look how that turned out!!). MedZag...we do have lots of famous faces we take care of. One thing though, they have the same diseases as normal folks....and they look the same without their clothes on;) It's kinda fun but you treat them the same.

Demetri Awesome
10-15-2011, 01:36 PM
Pangos on Bell: “I couldn’t wait to play with him. We’ve been talking a lot about our first year and the future. We’re not trying to get ahead of ourselves, but we both have high expectations. He can flat-out ball.”

This statement is flat out awesome! I can't wait to see these guys gel.

Malastein
10-15-2011, 03:10 PM
Its a subtle difference, but assuming all things equal b/w these two, this minor physical separation in height/weight could make a big difference down the road...

2 inches & 25 lbs could be the difference in drawing a hard foul in the lane & making an "And-1" or getting swallowed & a blocked shot.

Plus it's safe to say that Pangos is a better shooter. On paper, Pangos sounds like he'll end up being a better player. Then again, this game isn't played on paper and Stockton has shown he belongs on the court.

johno
10-15-2011, 07:28 PM
"Sophomore wing Mathis Mönninghoff suffered broken ribs after returning to campus from playing on Germany’s U-19 squad, but he said he’s fine."

Was this a GU practice injury or something else? Just curious.