PDA

View Full Version : Goodman/Parrish New Top 25 and One!

ZaggyStardust
10-12-2011, 05:18 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/15726143/preseason-top-25-and-one-from-the-original-guy-and-one

Formidable foes in AZ and X! Can't wait for the season to start!!!!!

BobZag
10-12-2011, 05:22 PM
Ground Control to Major Jewells. ;)

ZaggyStardust
10-12-2011, 05:25 PM
You got it Bob! I need some major grounding! So jacked......... When are tix arriving?

MDABE80
10-12-2011, 06:44 PM
Where's UW? We do have a wonderful team this year. Best talent in quite some time.

zagzilla
10-12-2011, 07:11 PM
From the lead in:

"The Big East had the most teams represented with a half-dozen while the SEC and Pac-12 were next with four apiece. The ACC, Big Ten and Big 12 each had three in the poll. "

Funny I only saw 3 Pac 10 teams-AZ #15, UCLA #21 and Cal #26. I wonder if he thinks the Zags #18 joined the Pac too :-)

Shocked that UW (whose fans declare they are the premier program out west) are absent. Probably a typo right?

ZZ

dawgfather11
10-12-2011, 09:03 PM
From the lead in:

"The Big East had the most teams represented with a half-dozen while the SEC and Pac-12 were next with four apiece. The ACC, Big Ten and Big 12 each had three in the poll. "

Funny I only saw 3 Pac 10 teams-AZ #15, UCLA #21 and Cal #26. I wonder if he thinks the Zags #18 joined the Pac too :-)

Shocked that UW (whose fans declare they are the premier program out west) are absent. Probably a typo right?

ZZ

Not really when you figure that what most of these guys do is look at who left and who's returning from the team. They see UW lost 3 seniors and their MVP left a year early. Getting Abdul back fully health really helps. I think people are overrating Arizona and UCLA and underrating both Cal and UW. I'm fine with UW not being ranked yet but they definitely will be soon after the season starts.

MDABE80
10-12-2011, 09:37 PM
DF...Romar has a very big opportunity with Wroten and Gaddy out front. The bigs return some very nice kids who can score. Outside of Aziz...think the size is enough?

dawgfather11
10-12-2011, 09:50 PM
DF...Romar has a very big opportunity with Wroten and Gaddy out front. The bigs return some very nice kids who can score. Outside of Aziz...think the size is enough?

well, it's our tallest team ever, but will it be enough as the front court bench will all be freshman? Who knows.. FWIW the front court heights go 6-7. 6-8, 6-9, 6-9, 6-10, 7-0. If TW beats out Abdul our starting lineup will be pretty big Wroten (6-5) Suggs (6-6) Ross (6-6) Gant (6-8) Aziz (7-0)

MDABE80
10-12-2011, 09:53 PM
Huge team. Good luck with the season.

VinnyZag
10-13-2011, 05:45 AM
UW was the "and one" in the first version posted, then Goodman and Parrish realized they had forgotten Kansas, and they shuffled things around. UW seems like one of those teams that will be better in March than they are in November.
GU's ranking seems about right. High teens/low 20s.

cjm720
10-13-2011, 08:03 AM
well, it's our tallest team ever, but will it be enough as the front court bench will all be freshman? Who knows.. FWIW the front court heights go 6-7. 6-8, 6-9, 6-9, 6-10, 7-0. If TW beats out Abdul our starting lineup will be pretty big Wroten (6-5) Suggs (6-6) Ross (6-6) Gant (6-8) Aziz (7-0)

You don't think TW and AG will both start? I figured Suggs would come off the bench, but not so sure I guess.

Drew
10-13-2011, 08:19 AM
I'm fine with UW not being ranked yet but they definitely will be soon after the season starts.

With UW's OOC schedule, there is little chance they will be ranked before conference play starts unless they win big in MSG . . .

Good luck with that.

Here is UW's schedule:

http://www.gohuskies.com/sports/m-baskbl/sched/wash-m-baskbl-sched.html

sittingon50
10-13-2011, 09:05 AM
If they're 7-0 going to MSG (and they'll have some blowouts) I'm thinkin' they'll be ranked.

Drew
10-13-2011, 09:23 AM
If they're 7-0 going to MSG (and they'll have some blowouts) I'm thinkin' they'll be ranked.

Portland is the only top 150 team in their 1st 7 games. The other 6 would be huge blowouts for many non-ranked teams.

BULLDOG#1
10-13-2011, 10:32 AM
good luck with the season Dawgfather. Looks like you'll be in a battle with WSU for second place in the state.

sittingon50
10-13-2011, 11:08 AM
Gotcha' Drew. In the preason the voters are pretty much stuck with W's & L's until things start to sort themselves out. Undefeated teams with large margins of victory tend to rise to the top. Doubt that they (uw) will be too far out of the Top 25 to start & with a few ahead of them dropping some games in an early tourney, their problem gets solved.

Only time will tell.

coolhandzag
10-13-2011, 11:35 AM
The Zags will be ranked where and when they will be ranked, if at all.
UW will be ranked where and when they will be ranked, if at all.

This is most certainly wishful thinking, but I got the feeling we may see a very desirable 4 vs. 5 match-up this spring. The Selection Committee sets up weird second round match-up potential like that sometimes. Romar would have a thought time ducking that one.

GU and UW for the Sweet 16, probably not, but its fun to think about.

NotoriousZ
10-13-2011, 11:54 AM
With UW's OOC schedule, there is little chance they will be ranked before conference play starts unless they win big in MSG . . .

Good luck with that.

Here is UW's schedule:

They play at Nevada right before their Madison Square Garden trip. Maybe the Wolfpack aren't good this year? Even so, with UW's traditional road troubles I wouldn't count them as 7-0 going into the Garden.

sittingon50
10-13-2011, 12:01 PM
Good point, Z. Nevada is picked to win the WAC (by Lindy's). Only 8-8 in league last year but have all 5 starter's back. Could be a tougher road test for the huskies than I originally thought.
And you're right; they do struggle on the road.

Drew
10-13-2011, 12:11 PM
Could be a tougher road test for the huskies than I originally thought.

Same here. I was going by last year's rankings.

Drew
10-13-2011, 12:21 PM
UW still needs to go 8-1 (beating Marquette or Duke) in order to be ranked at any time before conference play begins.

cjm720
10-13-2011, 12:51 PM
Ranked or not to start, UW will be a very good program all year and be a team that no one wants to play by the end of the year IMO.

Drew
10-13-2011, 01:25 PM
Ranked or not to start, UW will be a very good program all year and be a team that no one wants to play by the end of the year IMO.

I am not saying otherwise.

dawgfather11
10-13-2011, 02:58 PM
You don't think TW and AG will both start? I figured Suggs would come off the bench, but not so sure I guess.

I personally think Abdul will start and TW will come off the bench. There will be times when AG and TW play together but not much as they only have 2 PG's because AA is redshirting. CJ could definitely start over Suggs but I doubt it with Suggs getting the nod because he's a senior leader on the team.

dawgfather11
10-13-2011, 03:04 PM

Good luck with that.

Here is UW's schedule:

Schedule doesn't matter at all really, especially as a team that will be right outside the top 25. All they have to do is win and when other teams lose they will be in. As to MSG they have 2 road games before they get there and I would be more suprised if they lost both of the games there than I would be if they won both. I expect Marquette to be a tougher matchup for us as we match up real well with Duke.

dawgfather11
10-13-2011, 03:07 PM
good luck with the season Dawgfather. Looks like you'll be in a battle with WSU for second place in the state.

You're right about this, atleast at the start of the year, I think GU has the better team now for the first time in 3 years. WSU still won't be much of a challenge for either of our teams.

Zagdawg
10-13-2011, 03:20 PM
Dawgfather-- I think you might have had a lapse in your typing.

Let me fix it for you.

"Gonzaga has been the better team for the past decade -- including the last 3 years." But we understand it is difficult to tell this because romar took his ball and decided he would rather play a different WCC team like Portland.

All fixed. Carry on.

kclubfounder
10-13-2011, 03:26 PM
Reviewing that Husky schedule it sure is hard to argue with Romar. They have amassed a very impressive out-of-conference schedule with numerous "national" games - like GEORGIA State, FLORIDA Atlantic, HOUSTON Baptist, etc... Impressive I say. I sure understand how there simply isn't enough room for a Gonzaga game.

zagzilla
10-13-2011, 03:48 PM
DF-

It will be a home game for Dook at MSG. I've been to the Garden when Zags played and the support they have in NYC makes any semblance of a neutral court an illusion.

Glad you think you guys match up well with them...good luck.

Meanwhile: It is easy to predict that the Zags will likely fall out of the Top 25 at some point if/when we drop games vs. elite opponents in our OOC while some undefeated and un-tested BCS teams fatten up on cupcakes. As usual, the sky will fall, this board will melt down but all will be fine because Zags really are one of the 25 or so best teams in the country.

Go Zags,

ZZ

MickMick
10-13-2011, 05:22 PM
Kentucky plays a whole new crop of freshman every year because sometimes, freshman can be good. ;)

dawgfather11
10-13-2011, 06:14 PM
Dawgfather-- I think you might have had a lapse in your typing.

Let me fix it for you.

"Gonzaga has been the better team for the past decade -- including the last 3 years." But we understand it is difficult to tell this because romar took his ball and decided he would rather play a different WCC team like Portland.

All fixed. Carry on.

sorry there was no lapse *shrug*

dawgfather11
10-13-2011, 06:17 PM
DF-

It will be a home game for Dook at MSG. I've been to the Garden when Zags played and the support they have in NYC makes any semblance of a neutral court an illusion.

Glad you think you guys match up well with them...good luck.

Meanwhile: It is easy to predict that the Zags will likely fall out of the Top 25 at some point if/when we drop games vs. elite opponents in our OOC while some undefeated and un-tested BCS teams fatten up on cupcakes. As usual, the sky will fall, this board will melt down but all will be fine because Zags really are one of the 25 or so best teams in the country.

Go Zags,

ZZ

Definitely you are right it will be a duke friendly crowd and I'm not saying we will win the game. I just think from a matchup standpoint we are the type of team that usually gives Duke trouble and they also lost their guards from last year and that's our strength.

ZagsGoZags
10-13-2011, 06:48 PM
Dawg
I am glad you come to our Forum
your perceptions are always a good reminder that there is another point of view
you handle the cheap shots that come your way (I didn't see any on this thread by the way) with impersonality and stick to the point

I wish Romar was more like you

I do agree that for two of the last three years UW and GU were both at about the same level and I would not say we were clearly better than UW for those years - the national rankings would corroborate that view, I believe

so I hope you keep coming back

23dpg
10-13-2011, 09:03 PM
I think 19 is too high to start the year.

cggonzaga
10-13-2011, 09:47 PM
I think 19 is too high to start the year.

I really hope this isn't another "too high of expectations" comments. We're not and we won't be the underdog Zags of the late 90s for quite some time. Get used to the expectations, it comes along with creating a national program that's been to the last 13(?) NCAA tournaments and has won as many WCC championships. We are and will be almost every team's target we play.

if you just simply don't believe we should be ranked that high, please ignore my rant.:)

23dpg
10-13-2011, 10:04 PM
Lol, I think you're going too deep there cg. I simply mean that I don't think that Gonzaga is the 19th best bball team in the nation right now. Much can happen in 5 months though.