PDA

View Full Version : The Frosh to Soph " leap "

RenoZag
10-11-2011, 10:50 AM
Which of our returning players appears poised to make the greatest gains from the often discussed 'frosh to soph' leap this season ?

Seeing the team photo earlier today spurred this query . Would be interested in reading what GUB thinks. . .

cjm720
10-11-2011, 10:53 AM
I'd love for it to be Keita. Great length, good athleticism, a constant ball hawk. Better handling and shooting and he sees the floor twice as much.

Baldwinzag
10-11-2011, 11:09 AM
In terms of making the biggest contribution this season, I predict Sam Dower.

In terms of being the 'most improved' and receiving more playing time than many expect, I predict Da 'Hoff.

I think Stockton will give us the same(on par) type of play as last season. No more, no less, yet very solid, savvy, and helpful.

gozagswoohoo
10-11-2011, 11:10 AM
Very good question.

I am gonna say Dower, followed closely by The Stockster.

It's almost not fair for Dower, he had SUCH a great freshman, that he will have to do a lot to top it! And I am saying Dower, assuming the guys who have RS still count in this discussion?

U Zig, I Zag
10-11-2011, 11:25 AM
I think we will be surprised, with all the talk about the freshman, how much MM plays this next year. He was a good pick off the bench (and some starts, right?) early last year but kind of fell out of favor (have to be able to do more than shoot the 3).

I expect he will impress us early.

JPtheBeasta
10-11-2011, 11:28 AM
I'm going to hedge my bets and say Mathis (gives me an extra shot at being right). I hope that if the staff saw enough in them to bring them over from Europe, that they have a higher upside than what we saw out of them last year. The 1/2 spots are crowded, and Monninghoff already saw more floor, so his chances seem higher at making a leap in production. This wouldn't be too hard either, because he passed on a lot of shots- and I think as he gains confidence he will be pulling the trigger more often. He also can't take a step back when it comes to scoring off the bounce either, because he didn't do any of that last year.

bartruff1
10-11-2011, 11:29 AM
I'd love for it to be Keita. Great length, good athleticism, a constant ball hawk. Better handling and shooting and he sees the floor twice as much. This...

Martin Centre Mad Man
10-11-2011, 12:30 PM
This is just a hunch, but I'm betting that Keita will show the most improvement in terms of his overall contribution. No returning guard/wing on the roster has his combination of size and athleticism. I see him becoming the fifth starter or sixth man as a defensive stopper with an improved offensive game. It will be a great boost for the team if he becomes a more consistent and well-rounded player.

MDABE80
10-11-2011, 01:29 PM
It
ll be the same as last year but much better. Each kid Sam, David, MM or Keita...will supply superior performances each game.

Different kid every night. For my money though, I'd see David Stockton knocking our eyes out with improvement. Bigger, stronger and worked his drills relentlessly for hours and hours this past 6 months.

The best part is this: 3 days.....:)

zag67
10-11-2011, 02:07 PM
1. Stockton should give us more quality minutes and show a more well rounded game.
2. Sam Dower has an upside that should help our front line dominate almost all of our games. Hopefully his defense will improve and with that he will become solid.
3. MM is a great 3 point shooter and hopefully they have worked to improve his ball handling, defense and rebounding to allow him not to be a weak link on the court.
4. MK is the opposite of MM. He is great at playing defense and can be used as a stopper. If he has imrproved his offensive end of the court, then the other team will not be able to sag in on the bigs.

So, that being said I think that all of them will help the team this year, but I think that Stockton may have the most influence.

Baldwinzag
10-11-2011, 02:16 PM
I realize this is OT, but have to point out -- we'll be such a better 3pt shooting team, it'll help our bigs even more underneath. We should have ZERO issues in doubling-down, sagging, 4 on 5 on offense, & 1-3-1 zones anymore...

Between Stocks' improvements, Pangos shooting prowess, Gary Bell's proven stroke, and Hoff's long-range love, the front court should have a field day...

Honestly, we've gotta have one of the best perimeter shooting teams in the West, if not thee best.

zagzilla
10-11-2011, 07:48 PM
Dower is gonna keep filling it up. He's the reason we are all secretly hoping Kelly is humble and smart enough to redshirt.

Stockton looks bigger which is good but I'll bet he has some tough patches vs premier PG's in the OOC

Honestly, I think Monninghoff and Keita are going to have a hard time finding minutes outside of spot duty due to foul trouble, injury or blowouts. Hope I'm wrong but they are both one dimensional and play at very crowded positions.

People will be talking about Dower leaving early for the league by March-but he won't.

ZZ

kitzbuel
10-11-2011, 07:49 PM
With getting healthy, getting stronger and getting more experienced, I am going with Stockton. I look forward to seeing what he brings.

bigblahla
10-11-2011, 08:37 PM
With getting healthy, getting stronger and getting more experienced, I am going with Stockton. I look forward to seeing what he brings.

I'll have some of this.

In Stock's corner all the way. He plays the game right all the time, focused and in the moment. If he gets the PT he has the ability to convert the doubters and I will enjoy watching him do so.

Ya just gotta like Sudden Sam. :D

Gonna be a good year Zaggies!!!!! :clap::clap::clap:

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

Coptrdr
10-11-2011, 08:42 PM
People will be talking about Dower leaving early for the league by March-but he won't.

ZZ

+1

zag67
10-11-2011, 09:29 PM
With the NBA in the caos that it is now, if they do not settle, then I do not see anyone leaving early next year. Even if they have a "short season" the draft choises will still be new next year. Then they will have this year's 1st round draft choises and next years all coming in at one time. That may be too many for most teams to integrate into their system.

Zag79
10-11-2011, 10:40 PM
sam dower, more PT alone would have done wonders for the guy. i can only imagine how good he can be after another year on campus.

NotoriousZ
10-12-2011, 07:51 AM
Different kid every night. For my money though, I'd see David Stockton knocking our eyes out with improvement. Bigger, stronger and worked his drills relentlessly for hours and hours this past 6 months.

Sounds like the Six Million Dollar Man, "Better, stronger, faster."

Can't wait to see these guys in action. Gentlemen, we have the technology.

Zag Man
10-12-2011, 10:25 AM
It
ll be the same as last year but much better. Each kid Sam, David, MM or Keita...will supply superior performances each game.

The best part is this: 3 days.....:)

These sophomores are going to be great this year!

I think Sam is a BEAST and hes going to be an unstoppable player for us! He is so beautiful to watch when hes near the basket and his ability to hit the free throws just drives opponent defenses even more crazy!

MM has the offensive game to be a great contributor. If he learns how to slash to the hoop and finish at the rim while at the perimeter, I believe it will make him a much more difficult player to guard against.

Keita is a great defensive stopper and he passes the ball so very well! He could be in the same vein as Erroll Knight, who was a one man zone and one of the finest defensive players to ever wear a Gonzaga uniform IMO.

David is just a smart player and beautiful passer. He just needs to be stronger, as he becomes a liability on the defensive side of the ball against athletic guards. However, David always does more right than he ever does wrong. I expect big things out of him and really all of the second year players! Good luck Zags!