PDA

View Full Version : WCC No Longer a Mid-Major Conference?

SWZag
10-10-2011, 01:38 PM
I was just perusing my Lindy's College Basketball book and made it to the very first page and was caught a little by surprise. Lindy's broke out the League Previews by Majors and Mid-Majors/Minors.

The Majors were:
ACC
Atlantic 10
Big East
Big 12
Big Ten
Conference USA
Missouri Valley
Mountain West
Pac-12
SEC
West Coast

I don't believe I'd seen anywhere previously that the WCC has been classified in the same class as the BCS conferences. Just another sign that this league keeps getting better.

SWZag

kclubfounder
10-10-2011, 02:19 PM
:cheers:

DCZag
10-10-2011, 02:32 PM
While it is a nice stroke of the ego - until the botom half of the league consistently wins against decent OOC competition - I think that is a litle overblown, IMHO

Once and Future Zag
10-10-2011, 03:00 PM
If you go by leagues expected to get more than just the auto-seed into the tourney year in and year out as being more than mid-major, then yes- that about fits that list.

CB4
10-10-2011, 03:10 PM
No, the WCC most certainly is a mid major conference.

zagzilla
10-10-2011, 03:20 PM
I think the addition of BYU makes the WCC a multi-bid conference every year and puts us on par with MWC, MVC. Unfortunately the bottom of WCC is worse than either of these but Zags + BYU are arguably better than the top schools in either of those conferences.

Agreed that this would change if GU slips back into mediocrity (perish the thought) or if BYU leaves. This is an opportunity for the rest of the conference to capitalize with better scheduling, recruiting and facilities.

Go Zags!

ZZ

MDABE80
10-10-2011, 03:54 PM
Remember....BCS= Major. Football.

Even with BYU and St Mary's we still are thought of as a "mid".even though I can see all 3 teams GU BYU SMC getting in the dance year after year. When a third of the league is in, it should mean something more than a middlin/lightweight conference.

I do think we still have lots of work to do though. Should be a very good year for the WCC.

maynard g krebs
10-10-2011, 04:30 PM
Semantics. Two levels in this group of 11, the BCS and then the other 5.

With the addition of BYU along with SMC being consistently good, there's no question about the WCC now being on par with the MWC, A10, MVC and CUSA. If those 4 are high major, so is WCC.

If high major = multiple bids, the apparent definition here, then all 5 of tier 2 qualify.

krozman
10-10-2011, 06:26 PM
All I know is that Gonzaga has been to more consecutive NCAA appearances than 99% of the "high major" conferences. If you guys want to call Gonzaga "high major" then so be it, but I think Gonzaga is a class above that.

Now the rest of the conference.....heh..... sorry mid major we are.

Bogozags
10-10-2011, 08:59 PM
Remember....BCS= Major. Football.

Even with BYU and St Mary's we still are thought of as a "mid".even though I can see all 3 teams GU BYU SMC getting in the dance year after year.

Agree!

Definition of Major = BCS Football / No BCS AQ = Mid-MAJOR.

Nothing wrong with being considered a Mid-Major as we are achievers and that is what is important, not names or titles people bestow on us.

We have the respect of EVERY D1 basketball program in the country, which means we have ARRIVED!

kitzbuel
10-11-2011, 08:56 AM
This looks like basically the WCC about equals the MWC. MWC is riding SDSU, UNLV and maybe UNM. So basically it looks like GU+BYU+SMC (and others) = SDSU+UNLV+UNM (and others).

DixieZag
10-11-2011, 11:25 AM
This looks like basically the WCC about equals the MWC. MWC is riding SDSU, UNLV and maybe UNM. So basically it looks like GU+BYU+SMC (and others) = SDSU+UNLV+UNM (and others).

And yet somehow, at least it seems to me like the MWC "others" play decently against the OOC opponents and generally don't put up the absolutely mind-boggling losses that some of our "others" do.

I don't know how many times I have had the luck to sit down and watch close conference games in person, and wonder how it is that SCU, USF, LMU - take your pick, managed to lose to some Division 2 school and yet is playing GU tough and looking like a good team. i believe this aspect, bad OOC losses by the middle teams, drags our league down more than lack of deep runs in March.

LongIslandZagFan
10-11-2011, 12:16 PM
and yet somehow, at least it seems to me like the mwc "others" play decently against the ooc opponents and generally don't put up the absolutely mind-boggling losses that some of our "others" do.

I don't know how many times i have had the luck to sit down and watch close conference games in person, and wonder how it is that scu, usf, lmu - take your pick, managed to lose to some division 2 school and yet is playing gu tough and looking like a good team. I believe this aspect, bad ooc losses by the middle teams, drags our league down more than lack of deep runs in march.

qft

MDABE80
10-11-2011, 01:41 PM
"qft"<---huh?

DADoZAG
10-11-2011, 02:06 PM
"qft"<---huh?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=qft

Go ZAGS!

MDABE80
10-11-2011, 02:35 PM
Ahhhhhhhh.......should have known. Ebonics is it! ;)

maynard g krebs
10-11-2011, 04:13 PM
Ahhhhhhhh.......should have known. Ebonics is it! ;)

Actually, it's called an acronym. Nothing to do with ebonics.

I'm surprised the mods don't find this post as offensive as I do.

MDABE80
10-11-2011, 05:21 PM
"Actually, it's called an acronym. Nothing to do with ebonics" <---- twas a joke;)

Why's it offensive Maynard? Didn't seem so to me anway....

bigblahla
10-11-2011, 07:28 PM
After seeing the USF OOC schedule and now the Gaels come out with a stinker of their own the WCC can't be considered anything else but a mid-major. Two of the leagues top four teams are playing nobodies.

Rex and RB need to grow some cahones and take their teams on the road.

Pathetic, really, both good teams and their only hope for post season play is in Vegas.

Dumb dumb scheduling, don't care if they can't get good home games go out on the road earn a rep and help the conference.

Even a split with the Zags and BYU won't help either team. Gaels will be 0-2 against the Zags, same with the Dons. Not this year fellas.

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

kitzbuel
10-11-2011, 07:39 PM
And yet somehow, at least it seems to me like the MWC "others" play decently against the OOC opponents and generally don't put up the absolutely mind-boggling losses that some of our "others" do.

I don't know how many times I have had the luck to sit down and watch close conference games in person, and wonder how it is that SCU, USF, LMU - take your pick, managed to lose to some Division 2 school and yet is playing GU tough and looking like a good team. i believe this aspect, bad OOC losses by the middle teams, drags our league down more than lack of deep runs in March.

Look at Wyoming's or AFA's schedules. Johnson & Wales?

zagzilla
10-11-2011, 07:40 PM
The bottom of the WCC is definitely a notch below the others. In this classification of 10 programs I think I would add sub-classifications of "high-major" and "major" WCC MVC MWC A10 CUSA fall into major (along with the Pac 10 in recent years ) The others are high major conferences even if there are occaisionally terrible teams in them (Wake Forest anyone?)

It also makes me nuts when other WCC programs tank in the OOC against cupcakes and then "get up" for the Zags for one night.

ZZ