PDA

View Full Version : D Johnson

cggonzaga
10-10-2011, 08:15 AM
According to ESPN, Johnson's top two is UW and WSU. Apparently high on his priority list is early playing time. Never thought we had a chance with this kid.

Worthington
10-10-2011, 11:41 AM
Can you post a link for this please, I can't find it. Shame if it's true though, I think he would have been a good fit here.

cggonzaga
10-10-2011, 11:58 AM
It's in the rumor mill.

Demetri Awesome
10-10-2011, 02:34 PM
Thats to bad. He's the type of guy that would have a great impact and career at GU. If heading to UW he will be one of many and probably never get a look at for the NBA. I personally feel the coaching just isn't there considering the athletes they recruit. The players also seem a little cocky/self center which leads to no where. GU's a special place for special people, if it doesn't work out its meant to be.

Worthington
10-10-2011, 02:41 PM
Those wondering about where Demarquise Johnson (Phoenix, Ariz./Westwind Prep Academy) will play his college ball will soon get their answer.

Johnson wrapped up his fourth and final official visit over the weekend, a trip to UNLV, and according to this tweet by Mark Knight of TheHuskyHaul.com, Johnson is going to talk it over with his dad and take "a week or two" to decide where he will go.

---

All indications are that 2012 SG Demarquise Johnson (Phoenix, Ariz./Westwind Prep Academy) is still considering four schools -- Washington, Washington State, Gonzaga and UNLV -- but according to Scout.com's latest Recruiting Report the two Pac-12 schools could have the advantage at this point.

"At Washington State, he got along with the players and he liked the coach," said Johnson's father, Tommy Johnson. "I think the thing that stood out the most was the opportunity to come in and be a focal guy.

"At Washington, he liked the players and loves (Lorenzo) Romar. He knows he'll have the chance to get on the floor and play a lot."

Added Eric Bossi of Rivals.com of Johnson's recruitment, "... Washington is doing very well with Johnson and is seen as the behind-the-scenes leader by many."

It kind of sounds like everything we had already been thinking ourselves. Doesn't sound as if we are officially out of it yet, but also definitely not a good sign *gulp*

810Suited
10-10-2011, 03:02 PM
He's been a UW lean for a while imho

JPtheBeasta
10-10-2011, 04:45 PM
It should be a nice vote of confidence in the guys that are already there at the guard spots that he is moving on, as it would imply that Few and Co weren't able to guarantee him playing time early on.

webspinnre
10-10-2011, 06:13 PM
It should be a nice vote of confidence in the guys that are already there at the guard spots that he is moving on, as it would imply that Few and Co weren't able to guarantee him playing time early on.

He's more of a 2/3 anyway, so less of an issue. But yeah, hopefully one of the Mathii can step up, or Landry can really be something.

ZagsGoZags
10-10-2011, 06:46 PM
too bad
this year we are really strong (for us) at the 1,2,4,5
we needed a really strong 3 and don't have one, IMO,
unless Landry surprises me

I'm surprised, if its true, Few could not have offered as much PT as UW

EuroZag2010
10-20-2011, 06:49 AM
This is per twitter this morning

@EvanDanielscout
Demarquise Johnson will announce Saturday

Also Q led all scores at the last game with 22 pts in a win against Glendale CC

duper
10-20-2011, 07:49 AM
He's been a UW lean for a while imho

Starting to sound like he is going to WSU!

cggonzaga
10-20-2011, 08:57 AM
Another Klay Thompson perhaps? Don't know much about him other than he can light it up.

Therunner
10-20-2011, 10:01 AM
I feel he's WSU bound with UW being the next option. "Q" wants to be THE man. The #1 option from Day 1. To actieve this, his best option is WSU. I believe Gonzaga is on the outside looking in at this juncture...

Having said that, I do like the fact he's selected October 22nd to announce his decision.

It just so happens our "Midnight Madness" is on the 22nd, while WSU's is the night of the 21st, so maybe, just maybe he has a big announcement for the entire student body, team, and fans at the Kennel?

Doubt it, but you never know...

cjm720
10-20-2011, 10:35 AM
I was under the impression he trimmed his list to UW and WSU a couple weeks ago.

webspinnre
10-20-2011, 10:41 AM
I was under the impression he trimmed his list to UW and WSU a couple weeks ago.

The stories I remember seeing said that those were his top two of the four he was looking at, but not that he'd trimmed it to just them.

duper
10-20-2011, 12:14 PM
I feel he's WSU bound with UW being the next option. "Q" wants to be THE man. The #1 option from Day 1. To actieve this, his best option is WSU. I believe Gonzaga is on the outside looking in at this juncture...

Having said that, I do like the fact he's selected October 22nd to announce his decision.

It just so happens our "Midnight Madness" is on the 22nd, while WSU's is the night of the 21st, so maybe, just maybe he has a big announcement for the entire student body, team, and fans at the Kennel?

Doubt it, but you never know...

Midnight Madness has come and gone.

ZagNative
10-20-2011, 12:21 PM
Does Richard Longrus commitment to WSU yesterday tell us anything?

cggonzaga
10-20-2011, 12:37 PM
Nope. WSU has plenty of scholarships. Johnson would be the gem of their class. ESPN says they're hearing whispers out of Pullman that its practically a done deal.

jthounder10
10-20-2011, 12:57 PM
Sounds like he has decided and will let everyone know Saturday...would rather it be WSU than UW

Papa K
10-20-2011, 01:35 PM
Would rather see him go to WSU than the fuskies.

Baseline
10-20-2011, 02:51 PM
If he )Loves Romar, I have to question his judgement!

Worthington
10-20-2011, 03:29 PM
I'm gonna feel a bit hurt if we lose this one. The minutes are there to be had for 'Que, maybe he wouldn't start his freshman year, but looking forward he has a really good chance to be "the guy" at the 3 for years to come. We're the most competitive and consistent program in his top 4 and he has the chance be the gem of our recruiting class, and yet he might go to WSU which just signed another highly regarded 2012 wing player only a day ago (who by the way we were recruiting at one point). Just a bit of a head scratcher.

Coug Tracks
10-20-2011, 06:53 PM
I'm gonna feel a bit hurt if we lose this one. The minutes are there to be had for 'Que, maybe he wouldn't start his freshman year, but looking forward he has a really good chance to be "the guy" at the 3 for years to come. We're the most competitive and consistent program in his top 4 and he has the chance be the gem of our recruiting class, and yet he might go to WSU which just signed another highly regarded 2012 wing player only a day ago (who by the way we were recruiting at one point). Just a bit of a head scratcher.Longrus projects as a power forward especially in the system Bone wants to run. There are reports Longrus is closer to 6'7" and his skillset is more suited for power forward although he can also play on the wing.

Johnson would fit right in as the class headliner. He has played it so close to the vest I really wouldn't be surprised if he ended up at WSU, GU, or the UW.

Therunner
10-20-2011, 07:22 PM
I'm gonna feel a bit hurt if we lose this one. The minutes are there to be had for 'Que, maybe he wouldn't start his freshman year, but looking forward he has a really good chance to be "the guy" at the 3 for years to come. We're the most competitive and consistent program in his top 4 and he has the chance be the gem of our recruiting class, and yet he might go to WSU which just signed another highly regarded 2012 wing player only a day ago (who by the way we were recruiting at one point). Just a bit of a head scratcher.

"Q" would be a luxury, but definitely not 'make or break'. We are deep at the 1 through 3 position for years to come. If we get him, great, yet we have 3 years to make up for this position, imo. Also, when were we actively recruiting Longrus? Was it mentioned in an article somewhere, b/c I can assure you we've never been on any of his lists per ESPN, Rivals, or Scout and never really had any Coaches visiting his games or recruiting circles...please do elaborate.

northsidezagfan
10-20-2011, 07:43 PM
http://guboards.com/showthread.php?t=34949&highlight=longrus

http://zagaholic.blogspot.com/2011/05/gonzaga-offers-richard-longrus.html

Not sure how active we were, but it was active enough for an offer and for him to want to take a visit.

Therunner
10-20-2011, 07:54 PM
http://guboards.com/showthread.php?t=34949&highlight=longrus

http://zagaholic.blogspot.com/2011/05/gonzaga-offers-richard-longrus.html

Not sure how active we were, but it was active enough for an offer and for him to want to take a visit.

Well, it appears we did express interest, but it cooled rather quickly. BTW, an official "offer" was never confirmed.

Everyone close to the program and/or in the know, was "meh" on this kid. "Q" would be a good get, no doubt, but Longrus leaves much to be desired and a project that needs a lot of seasoning...

Worthington
10-20-2011, 08:02 PM
"Q" would be a luxury, but definitely not 'make or break'. We are deep at the 1 through 3 position for years to come. If we get him, great, yet we have 3 years to make up for this position, imo. Also, when were we actively recruiting Longrus? Was it mentioned in an article somewhere, b/c I can assure you we've never been on any of his lists per ESPN, Rivals, or Scout and never really had any Coaches visiting his games or recruiting circles...please do elaborate.

Yeah I don't think it's make or break by any means, it's just been a disappointing recruiting period. At one point or another we appeared to be hot on the trail of many solid prospects out west and across the country, and it would be frustrating if nothing was to pan out (especially when objectively from a team and player's stand point, this seems like a good fit). Anyway this all seems very negative, hopefully the rumblings are nothing more than fiction and he ends up a Zag.

Coug Tracks
10-20-2011, 08:11 PM
Well, it appears we did express interest, but it cooled rather quickly. BTW, an official "offer" was never confirmed.

Everyone close to the program and/or in the know, was "meh" on this kid. "Q" would be a good get, no doubt, but Longrus leaves much to be desired and a project that needs a lot of seasoning...Longrus is a glue guy. He will do all the little things that make teams better. Defend, rebound, pass, and he will score. Just as importantly Longrus is exceptional off the court. I'll always take that kind of player in my program.

MDABE80
10-20-2011, 08:16 PM
Bone's doing well in his work. I think he'll mold those new kids into a very good team. Reggie Moore is a fixture and a good one. I like the new guys. Maybe not for GU but still fine players.

Coug Tracks
10-20-2011, 09:25 PM
Bone's doing well in his work. I think he'll mold those new kids into a very good team. Reggie Moore is a fixture and a good one. I like the new guys. Maybe not for GU but still fine players.All depends on whether he can get Johnson. For GU in 2012 it pretty much looks like the same?

Baldwinzag
10-20-2011, 09:34 PM
Coug tracks;

WSU is putting together an unbelievable 2012 class. Props to Coach Bone, the team, and the fan base.

Fantastic for Eastern Washington hoops and a continued rivalry with us.

WSU is a team/program to keep an eye on. I feel they'll be underrated this season and are building to be a force again in the near future. They've always been solid the last few seasons, but I foresee a real formidable team developing under Coach Bone & Co.

Klay Thompson won many games by himself last year, but a one-man wrecking crew won't be needed much longer as an entire team of "Klay's" are being assembled in Pullman.

They are quietly putting together the best recruiting class in the Pac-12 for 2012 & beyond. Good things are happening for the bball program, hopefully, football can follow suit.

Good luck to your team CT. While I don't think you have the recipe(awesome backcourt, but thin front) to beat us this year at the Kennel, I have much fear yet admiration going forward for years to come...

WSU is the real deal and a serious force to reckon with from here on out. I'm talking Top-25 program every year as long as Coach Ken Bone sticks around.

Coug Tracks
10-20-2011, 10:51 PM
Good luck to your team CT. While I don't think you have the recipe(awesome backcourt, but thin front) to beat us this year at the Kennel, I have much fear yet admiration going forward for years to come...No question this is another transition year as Bone's recruits finally start to fill out the roster. It would have been nice to have the the production of Thompson and Casto back for one more year but they weren't going to stick around forever. My expectations going into this year are much lower than last year but I aim going to give Bone time. There is no question in my mind that the guy can coach. The question is whether he can consistently recruit Pac 12 players to compete in his system.

northsidezagfan
10-22-2011, 07:51 AM
Today's the day! I don't know about anyone else but I'm still holding out hope he makes a surprise visit to Midnight Madness tonight!!! A SSF tweet from the other day reported he still hadn't finalized his decision as of then. Fingers crossed!!!