PDA

View Full Version : Seattle MBB Tipoff Luncheon Reminder

Angelo Roncalli
10-07-2011, 07:56 AM
Today at 12:00 at FX McRory's.

Brian Michaelson will give a preview of the upcoming season and take questions.

$20 at the door.

Lots of SWAG and door prizes including two tickets to a game in the Kennel.

sittingon50
10-07-2011, 08:45 AM
Looking forward to the recap, fellas.

Zag365
10-07-2011, 09:09 AM
Looking forward to the recap, fellas.

Somewhere today in the Pacific NW a group of Zag fans who remain anonymous met with an unnamed coach at an undisclosed location and had a discussion about "things" that may or may not have anything to do with the basketball program. That is all. Move on. Nothing to see here.

hondo
10-07-2011, 09:21 AM
As the old man said to his broken clock
'"Ve haf vays of making you tock"

ZagNative
10-07-2011, 09:54 AM
'"Ve haf vays of making you tock":roll:

sittingon50
10-07-2011, 11:23 AM
12:24. You guys to the entree yet?

gamagin
10-07-2011, 12:40 PM
they had salad.

This from a fellow dressed like a GU gang banger (head to foot, pricetags still dangling. Very fresh.) who preferred being choked rather than reveal DS's true height or whether or not RS is bald.

"Take my wife, please" were his (nearly) last words. "Or my faithful dog, Ruffy. I'd talk but I don't want to be banned from this lunch. Or virtually shunned. Not to mention the humiliation of Neg reps. Unless your name is Uber."

A piece of salad shot back onto my Zag hoodie as I attempted to extract the gist of Michaelson's speech. If it had been better chewed, I would have never noticed it was a tiny leaf of iceburg with what looked like a splash of thousand island on it.

That's all I've come up with. So far.

cjm720
10-07-2011, 12:59 PM
Michaelson was quite impressive. Like last year, an oath was made to keep quiet.

former1dog
10-07-2011, 01:17 PM
Michaelson was quite impressive. Like last year, an oath was made to keep quiet.

Ok, this isn't directed at you CJM, but in the concept of "keeping things close to the vest or secret" when it comes to the team. WTF!? This isn't national security, it basketball. What in the H - E - LL could the possible harm be in telling anyone who wants to know 4 weeks before the season even starts any thing they want to know about the team short of the personal (non basketball) lives of the players or coaches.

A rant I know, but I think its rather absurd.

Rbo
10-07-2011, 01:30 PM
The chowder was good. Also, they were ripping out trees near the Qwest/CityLink Field north parking lot to make way for a big condo unit. What a shame.

Club Prez
10-07-2011, 01:47 PM
Also, they were ripping out trees near the Qwest/CityLink Field north parking lot to make way for a big condo unit. What a shame.

A GU grad, Kevin Daniels, is responsible for that.

http://www.seattlemet.com/issues/archives/articles/higher-calling0310/

:confused:

Therunner
10-07-2011, 01:47 PM
Given the amount of Coaches, players, and staff videos being offer from Gozags.com & Youtube nowadays, its the same stuff Coach Daniels said in his recent sit-down interview -- really no more, no less. Trust me.

Its like having the Cliffs notes:

http://www.gozags.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?id=803272&db_oem_id=26400

Watch for more 'Insider' videos from IGM & Gonzaga's AD dept.

Its just as much intel, if not more, than you'll ever receive from attending the annual Top-Secret Luncheon.

I love the fact these "engagements" are wide-open to the public, opposing coaches, other players, rival fans, media outlets, etc, but they are sworn not to speak about what is said during the event. lol

Its brilliant marketing, folks...gotta entice the common fan to spend $20 year-in and year-out...

Watch the 2 min video above w/Coach D and the scrimmage/pick-up reports on GUboards and its just as enlightening re: the Zags, so I've been told...however, hearing it in person is pretty cool too...

Guys, the Coaches know about as much as we do at this point in time. MDABE has seen about as much "live action" as anyone. They haven't even held their first live practice, only fundamental drills & conditioning...re-read the scrimmage reports, scouting, Coach interviews, & highlight tapes of our Frosh and you'll get a pretty good idea what is being spoken about at the luncheon.

Carry on...

sittingon50
10-07-2011, 02:10 PM
You know, I'm O.K. with it this year. A bone for those that attend.

Life's not always fair (I think I learned that from Sarah P.).

Kiddwell
10-07-2011, 02:13 PM
'"Ve haf vays of making you tock"

So the guy was Irish? :p

:]

former1dog
10-07-2011, 02:27 PM
Ok, I say this fully acknowledging the obscene amount of time I have spent over the past 20 years thinking about, watching, writing, talking, dreaming about Zag basketball.....

IT'S JUST BASKETBALL. It's just a game. That's why I don't get the top secret stuff.

Anyway, carry on. All secrets are revealed on the court, aren't they.

zagzilla
10-07-2011, 02:35 PM
Brian was very candid in his comments and said that because recruits, players and families read this board, he didn't want anything he said to cause a problem by getting publicized more widely.

Fair point IMO in order ensure a better event for the people who shelled out money to be there.

It was revealed that he recently had a baby- oops... shut my mouth :-)

ZZ

BobZag
10-07-2011, 02:42 PM
Brian was very candid in his comments and said that because recruits, players and families read this board, he didn't want anything he said to cause a problem by getting publicized more widely.

Fair point IMO in order ensure a better event for the people who shelled out money to be there.

ZZ

Brian was pregnant last summer? DAMN!!!

Bing
10-07-2011, 02:42 PM

ZZ

I'm quite confident that it was Brian's wife who had the baby (said while stepping back into the Cone of Silence).

Edited to say I'm glad I drove over the Mountains again this year for the lunch.

a13coach
10-07-2011, 02:51 PM

ZZ

I have no problem with this other than "WHY NOT HAVE AN EVENT LIKE THIS OVER HERE! YOU KNOW THE CITY WHERE YOU ACTUALLY ARE BASED!"
[/rant over]

zag buddy
10-07-2011, 02:55 PM
Mark Few wants to have 5 more kids.
Robert Sacre has shrunk 3 inches
Pango's is really an all american incognito
5 members of this board will be chosen to start one game.

anything else guy's

GoZags
10-07-2011, 03:08 PM
I have no problem with this other than "WHY NOT HAVE AN EVENT LIKE THIS OVER HERE! YOU KNOW THE CITY WHERE YOU ACTUALLY ARE BASED!"
[/rant over]

Have you asked?

I mean, has anybody over there ever asked this of the folks that actually count (i.e. the staff)? This comes up every year -- these "why don't they have one of these in Spokane?" posts.

Hint: It shouldn't be up to the guys in Seattle to set this up for Spokane. As it happens, some Seattle Alumni Chapter guys thought it would be cool to have a pre-season lunch like this -- then asked Few -- who said yes six years ago. Since then (when Mark came over) it's been a different assistant every year.

I'm not sure why someone in Spokane hasn't taken the initiative to inquire about setting one of these up over there. My apologies if this has happened and the answer was "no". But I'd be surprised if that were the case.

This reminds me of the Gonzaga School of Business Vintners Dinner and Auction -- we're having our 11th Annual on 11/11/11 at Urban Enoteca here in Seattle. It's been a very successful endeavor -- we fund 8 School of Business Scholarships each year to Puget Sound kids (2 year scholarships for 4 students each year -- received prior to their Junior year -- and also fund an endowment for a School of Business Professor). It was a good idea, and after about 5 or 6 years the folks in Spokane decided to do this event over there. But they DID it -- they didn't ask "why don't we have one over here -- where the school actually is". They went out and did it.