PDA

View Full Version : Who will have the most impact of GU newcomers for 2011/2012

OZZY
10-06-2011, 03:53 PM
So much has been said, observed and written about our new Zag players over the summer and previously. I for one, am really pumped about the young backcourt duo of KP and GBJ, there are others who have waxed lyrical about Spangler's workman attitude and others about the chisselled features and athleticism of Guy Landry Edi.

Well get out your crystal balls and tell us what says you about which one will have made the most impact between now and when the final bucket has been made.

I'm not talking about points or rebounds alone, who is going to make the team better by their play.

Given all the factors and, at times, heated board discussion I think that it will be interesting to see what the board as a whole thinks.

BTW I have purposely left out Chris Sarbaugh as it has been reported in several places that he will be redshirting.

Thanks, Ozzy

mgadfly
10-06-2011, 03:58 PM
So much has been said, observed and written about our new Zag players over the summer and previously. I for one, am really pumped about the young backcourt duo of KP and GBJ, there are others who have waxed lyrical about Spangler's workman attitude and others about the chisselled features and athleticism of Guy Landry Edi.

Well get out your crystal balls and tell us what says you about which one will have made the most impact between now and when the final bucket has been made.

I'm not talking about points or rebounds alone, who is going to make the team better by their play.

Given all the factors and, at times, heated board discussion I think that it will be interesting to see what the board as a whole thinks.

BTW I have purposely left out Chris Sarbaugh as it has been reported in several places that he will be redshirting.

Thanks, Ozzy

I think Chris Sarbaugh's attitude and hustle in practice will make all the other guards better, and therefore, he will have the biggest positive influence. What does redshirting have to do with contributing?;)

kclubfounder
10-06-2011, 04:47 PM
I'm torn between Pangos and Bell. Since Bell is way ahead in the voting, I threw another one toward Pangos.

zag buddy
10-06-2011, 04:52 PM
I think it will be Guy. Not because he is better but because I think he will see more playing time due to his position at the 3.

Larrylegend
10-06-2011, 10:11 PM
I'm thinking GBJ fills the spot left by Gray. There's no drop off at that position but the team doesn't necessarily improve by substituting GBJ for Bell.

Pangos fills a huge huge void from last year's team. Because Pangos will be an improvement at point guard, Gonzaga will be a better t-e-a-m,. Pangos makes the t-e-a-m better and he will have the most impact.

Fonebone
10-06-2011, 10:27 PM
I agree with Larry. The point guard spot has the POTENTIAL for the biggest boost to the team

2wiceright
10-06-2011, 11:30 PM
I'm most confident Bell will make this team (who already doesn't have our best senior from last year) better. Without him, I think we'd see a gaping hole from Stevens graduating. He is the complete package, produce from the 1 or 2 guard from day one and has the best chance to be an impact player starting the first time he steps on the floor. He has IMO the best chance to make the biggest leap from the first to the last game of the year and possibly be the WCC newcomer (freshman) of the year.

2wiceright
10-06-2011, 11:33 PM
i also agree with Fone and Larry that Pangos (although second on my list) will make this team much better- especially in combination with David.

Zagdawg
10-07-2011, 06:37 AM
Pangos has the opportunity to make everyone on the team better.

I am going with him also.

Zag Man
10-07-2011, 06:42 AM
[QUOTE=Larrylegend;686396]I'm thinking GBJ fills the spot left by Gray. There's no drop off at that position but the team doesn't necessarily improve by substituting GBJ for Bell.QUOTE]

Everyone is talking a lot with glowing adjectives about Gary Bell. I am very hopeful that he will be a big star for us in the future. But, if he is taking the place of Steven Gray, then he has some big shoes to fill. Steven was a big guard and would often matchup with our opponent's best offensive player. He was a remarkable defender along with a consistent scorer for the team. If GBJ is as good or better than Steven, that would be something to see!

CDC84
10-07-2011, 07:57 AM
I would be very surprised if GBJ doesn't have a freshman impact along the lines of Harris/Bouldin/Ammo/Stepp.

gozagswoohoo
10-07-2011, 08:05 AM
I voted for "The Geebster". (GBJ)

I'm also starting a new movement to start an internet search engine, and call it "Ask Geebes".

77Zag
10-07-2011, 08:17 AM
Going with Spangler -- Guy was close as my second.

I think we are rich in the back court and shared minutes will be the mode of play.

izzjess
10-07-2011, 08:21 AM
Kevin pangos----Hes a pass first PG..John stockton said that he was never the best or most talented player on any team he was on but, that he made the best or most talented player just that, the best...Gary bell may be the most talented player and he will most likely score the most points but, i believe it will be because of the pg position...

ldszagfan
10-07-2011, 08:51 AM
I went with Guy Landry. When I think of our past JC transfers, they progress tremendously throughout the season (i.e. Carter last season). GBJ might look a little bit better right off the bat, but I think Guy by the end of the year will contribute the most after he gets comfortable with DI basketball. I mean, come on, he's got a lot smaller of a jump than does GBJ. This year Guy, next year Bell.

jpwils
10-07-2011, 10:09 AM
On first glance- OOC play-Gary Bell Jr by a longshot.

By WCC regular-season play-Pangos

To win the conference- will need Landry to provide some defense and clutch offense at times.

To go to Sweet 16- may see Spangler win us a game when foul trouble crops up but overall.....

BELL

cjm720
10-07-2011, 10:09 AM
A no brainer....

OK-ZagFan
10-07-2011, 02:32 PM
77Zag, I am going with you - I thinks Spangler and my second would be Bell. Spangler has remained pretty quite in the message boards, but I think he will be the surprise of the year. Remember, I have seen him play.

gamagin
10-07-2011, 02:36 PM
the Zag with the ball. Hopefully this will switch around to the Zag who is open many times during the game, causing the brown thing to go into the round thing more often than each and every opponent.

maynard g krebs
10-07-2011, 03:25 PM
Bell, easily. He's the only player who will step right into the lineup seamlessly imo.

My expectation for Pangos is a freshman year along the lines of Luke Ridnour's or Dan Dickau's. Ridnour started by default and was decent but not spectacular on what was a so-so Oregon team, and became a star his second year on an elite 8 team. Dickau played 10 min a game most of the year for UW behind Jan Wooten and Chris Thompson, but at the end of the year was playing 20. He outplayed Earl Watson down the stretch in a must win season ending game with UCLA to get an eleven seed, and was a key factor in the Huskies making the S16.

So I think Bell is pretty much a given, and Pangos more the X factor. And if Pangos is playing like Dickau did in March of his fr year, the Zags will be really dangerous.

Baseline
10-07-2011, 04:39 PM
If Harris works out at the 3 position with his new trimness, the Spangler will share time with Dower at the 4 and will make waves. That's a lot of if though and the safe answer is Bell.

MDABE80
10-07-2011, 07:20 PM
Bell pre Christmas.
Pangos post Christmas.

Spangler all year long:)

DADoZAG
10-08-2011, 07:06 AM
Bell pre Christmas.
Pangos post Christmas.

Spangler all year long:)

'Kinda' scares me when we agree, Abe.

While the early on court presence of Bell will be obvious, and similarly late in the season with Pangos, Spangler will be pushing the front court all year long (in practice at least), imo.

Ryan's presence on the team puts E closer to the future, and will constantly pressure the other bigs.

The luxury of depth. Stay healthy guys!

Go ZAGS!

BULLDOG#1
10-08-2011, 07:20 AM
Pangos with Bell in second.

not sure how Spangler is going to make an impact when he's behind a such a loaded front line.

with the team's configuration, Few will probably run some 3 guard sets. That puts Spangler even farther down the line for minutes.

OZZY
09-16-2014, 03:56 PM
Pangos with Bell in second.

not sure how Spangler is going to make an impact when he's behind a such a loaded front line.

with the team's configuration, Few will probably run some 3 guard sets. That puts Spangler even farther down the line for minutes.

Very insightful post here (and some others above).

Thought I would revist an old thread to get people's perception now that some of this class is going into their senior year...

Not sure we expected the three gaurds to help form the best backcourt in D1, but it is nice to see the recognition for hard work and loyalty..

GrizZAG
09-16-2014, 08:15 PM
Most impact this year....I'm going with Wiltjer but Wesley will surprise us all.