PDA

View Full Version : What do you want to see this year?

hooter73
10-06-2011, 12:39 PM
The countdown is not ticking fast enough...

Seems to me in the last year or so we've gotten away from a bit of the style that attracted me to Zags BBall. I miss the fast paced play in that niche just before frenzied known as 'unstoppable'. I really want to see the set plays coming out of bounds. I really really want to see surprise breakaways of two passes and suddenly there is a guard laying in the ball. I really really really want to see full court presses. I definitively want to see the killer instinct of a team that is still smiling and having fun. I hope we find that type of play with this years team.

Conference champs and everything beyond is gravy imo. What is it you realistically want to see?

SunDevilGolfZag
10-06-2011, 04:55 PM
Sweet 16 and then hope for a good matchup from there.

roxdoc
10-06-2011, 08:03 PM
No injuries and the coaching staff really being able to efficiently utilize the terrific talent that we have - even if it means taking a few new approaches - thinking outside the same ole, same ole box.

willandi
10-06-2011, 08:18 PM
37 wins! would settle for a little less.

Sorry, missed the realistically. Regular season and WCC tourney champs, a good seed with favorable match-ups and at least a sweet 16, preferably Elite Eight and ideally Final Four...beyond is Filet Mognon, no gravy there!

Demetri Awesome
10-06-2011, 09:29 PM
Leadership and players that are hungry and competitive every game.

Zag Man
10-07-2011, 06:35 AM
Leadership and players that are hungry and competitive every game.

In the past, Gonzaga teams always played with heart and fire to the bitter end of games giving their all. Even in defeat, it seemed to me that the Zags accounted themselves with grace and honor. In the last couple of years, we have experienced a bad blow-out loss during the season and it seems to affect our confidence in the NCAA Tournament. I am hopeful that we will play hard in every game this season and give a good account of ourselves even when we lose. I really believe this year's team could be very special!

zagzilla
10-07-2011, 07:04 AM
Stay healthy
Defend-especially the trey
The return of Harris to form
Opponents forced to defend all 5 players every possession

If these things happen we should have a strong enough campaign to get a good draw in the dance and make a deep run

Go Zags

ZZ

Therunner
10-07-2011, 07:41 AM
-- 10 wins in OOC play (we have 12).

-- Beat BYU badly

-- Our Freshman, particularly GBJ & KP, grow up quickly

-- Win our 12th WCC reg season title (winning WCC Tourney is gravy to me)

-- Earn a spot in the NCAA Tournament (a 5 seed or higher is gravy to me)

-- Make the Elite 8 (anything can happen from here, a #4, #8, & #11 made F4 last yr)

-- Most importantly, a HEALTHY season for the entire team.

77Zag
10-07-2011, 07:52 AM
12 straight WCC titles
14 straight NCAA tournament appearances

Then -- Elite Eight..or FF

cjm720
10-07-2011, 10:15 AM
12 straight WCC titles
14 straight NCAA tournament appearances

Then -- Elite Eight..or FF

This!

jpwils
10-07-2011, 10:24 AM
Team chemistry with a solid inside outside game.

Less turnovers in key games

Better perimeter Defense by all

Bigs learning to stay out of foul trouble

Sacre and Carter lead us into WCC championship

Freshmen become sophs in WCC tourney-help us win it!

Two freshemn on all-WCC newcomer team

Zags reach elite 8-Go Zags

KO on a great curve to become team star next yr

Lockdown defenders/ role players celebrated equally with offensive stars

BYU beaten twice

SMC beaten at least once

USF is given a " lesson"

Monninghoff and Landry share job and both have successful campaigns

Martin Centre Mad Man
10-07-2011, 03:29 PM
I want to see the Memphis Grizzlies or Charlotte Bobcats move to Seattle.

I want to see the Seattle Grizzlies offer contracts to Adam Morrison and Jeremy Pargo.

I want to see Adam average 28 points per game for the rejuvenated Seattle NBA franchise and lead them to the conference finals.

I want to see Adam and Kobe go shot for shot with both players scoring 40+ points before both getting ejected for fighting during Adam's triumphant return game to the Staples Center. I'd like to see Pargo lead the Grizzlies to a victory while Adam cools off in the locker room.

I'd also like to see all of that other stuff that everybody else wanted about league championships, Final Fours and stuff.

75Zag
10-07-2011, 03:34 PM
This season, I want to see

#1 - Mark Few cutting down the net after the NCAA Championship Final win; and

#2 - My feet when standing on the bathroom scale.

Here's hoping that Few and Company win the big one, and that I lose the big one.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

cggonzaga
10-07-2011, 05:31 PM
No injuries and the coaching staff really being able to efficiently utilize the terrific talent that we have - even if it means taking a few new approaches - thinking outside the same ole, same ole box.

Agreed! Deep run in NCAAs and I don't care who we have to play to get there. Such a cop out to blame bad matchups for failures in the NCAAs.

RenoZag
10-07-2011, 05:47 PM
I want to see a point guard establish himself as THE MAN and end (once and for all) the grousing on GUB about who ought to be playing the 1. . .

I want to see Mr. Sacre finish his final year of eligibility as a Wooden Award finalist

I want to see Mr. Dower average a double double.

I want to see MM play D and drain threes from the corner. . .

I want to see Spangler, Bell, Pangos, & Landry; all of the pre-season discussion indicates these newcomers can really make a difference. . .

I want to see the Zags play defense the way Butler plays defense; defense wins championships. . .

I want to see more WCC games on TV, even it means tuning in to BYU-tv. . .

I want to see Tom Izzo giving the Zags & their fans props on "Sportscenter" following a loss. . .

I want to see if SMC, SCU, and USF can hang with BYU in Provo. . .

I want to see the WCC announce the tourney games will be at the Thomas & Mack instead of the Orleans. . .

I want to see the lights of Spokane after the Bulldog reopens.

Pargo the Destroyer
10-08-2011, 10:29 PM
More dunks. Bitter beer face dunks (per Stephen Bardo). And all that other stuff.

MickMick
10-09-2011, 01:00 AM
Good perimeter play on both the offensive and defensive ends.

gamagin
10-09-2011, 08:08 AM
in our last 15 games.

bigblahla
10-09-2011, 08:15 AM
in our last 15 games.

This! +1

Go!! Zags!!

JAGzag
10-09-2011, 08:28 AM
Peak at the right time this year!! OCC will mean nothing if we win big early and just lag during the WCC.

BobZag
10-09-2011, 08:58 AM
WCC title and Sweet 16.

MDABE80
10-09-2011, 11:40 AM
I'd like to see some hard defense and rebounding the WHOLE year.....not just the last half of the season. We'll score plenty of points this upcoming year. If we do that, we'll
find our way to BZ's goal...maybe more.

Reborn
10-09-2011, 04:46 PM
If yu know me you know I like to see the Ninja shooters hitting from all areas of the court and draning 3's. I want the Zags to average 7 three's a game. I think that Carter, Bell, Stockton, Pangos and Monninghoff will provide that kind of shooting and even better than that. I think this is going to be a vey good 3 pt shooting team.

The second thing I like seeing is great passing (its why I like Stockton so much) and ball-handling. The turnovers need to be much lower this year. It means Stockton needs to have more patience and savy; it means that Sacre must hold onto the ball better and make better decisions with it. I think the absence of Meech and the arrival of Pangos is going to really help our assist to turnover ratio. This team will be so much better offensively without Meech.

Finally, I am always looking for great defense. This is the biggest key to the success of the Zags this year. I am really glad to hear that Bell likes to play defense. There is a good chance we may see more of the zone again this year.

I love to watch the development of new players. Last year it was neat seeing the new guys play, guys like Dower, Stockton and Carter. I expect to see some outstanding play this year from 3 new guys as well, Bell, Pangos and Sprangler.

I am hoping to see Elias and Rob both make the All American teams. I'd like to see Elias make first team.

I have this really good feeling about Carter this year....There has not been much type about him so far in the off-season, but I have this sneaky feeling that he's going to have a great year. He finished the season so strong last year, and I think he is going to remember the Zags' loss to BYU very very well. That loss will be a source of inspiration this year.

I am really hoping to see the scoreboard indicate after the Sweet 16 game in the NCAA tournament that GU wins that game 87-83 and advances to the Elite 8. And I would like it to show that the Zags Andvance to the Final 4 with a victory over North Carolina by the score of 83-79.

And finally I would love to see Mark Few get the Coach of the Year award.

DCZag
10-09-2011, 05:15 PM
1- Value the ball, cut down on turnovers
2- Perimeter D
3- Improved PG play
4- Our vets living up to their potential
5- Our newbies contibuting consistently
6- Go to the glass with authority

Do most of these on any given night and we will win the conference and get to the Sweet 16

Pargo the Destroyer
10-09-2011, 05:45 PM
One last thing.... I'd like for the Kennel Club to step it up and make the Kennel the toughest place to play in America.

hooter73
10-10-2011, 07:31 AM
one last thing.... I'd like for the kennel club to step it up and make the kennel the toughest place to play in america.

qft!!!!!!!!!

Baldwinzag
10-10-2011, 08:33 AM
3pt defense.

We're consistently ranked in the Top-20 for 2pt FG defensive %, yet also ranked near the bottom in 3pt defense %. For instance, Kenpom had us around #10 defending inside the perimeter last season, yet #300 outside of it.

I understand team's will "live by the 3, die by 3" & Coach Few insistent on 'taking our chances' by siding with percentages, yet I'd personally like to see more balance. Is it too much to ask to be ranked in the Top-100 in 3pt D?

Honestly, we allowed teams such as Illinois, Notre Dame, WSU, St Mary's, & BYU in the Tourney all attempt over 20 3's and all made at least 50% of them. We could have easily won these games, even advanced to the Sweet 16 if we could have contained the 3pt line better. They had open looks all game and took advantage. This isn't the same bball as when Krause and Heathcoat were coaching, shooting is much improved and we need to adjust.

If its "give & take" with sacrificing a dribble-drive bucket every now & then or a Top-15 ranking in 2pt defense, then so be it.

A team shooting 55% from 3pt can beat any team in the Country and we're allowing some of the best teams in the land to do it on a consistent basis. Not to mention the confidence, momentum, and panic 3pt shooting creates for any team...I'm not the best at math, but trading 2 for 3 doesn't add up in favor for us anymore.

Heck, our last FOUR NCAA TOURNEY(and WCC Tourney) exits were due to the opposition draining 3pt shots - at will. Davidson, Syracuse, St Mary's, BYU, the list goes on...

I recognize this topic is redundant, but its all I ask for as a fan these days, b/c I know the rest will take care of itself...

roxdoc
10-10-2011, 09:30 AM
Very well put Baldwin. As time changes and 3-pt shooting has gotten better the coaches need to adress this and adjust from the same old, same old defensive scheme.

coolhandzag
10-10-2011, 10:20 AM
1. Better defense against the 3
2. A Sacre Drop-Step
2.1 A Sacre Up and Under
3. Harris' explosiveness returns
4. Dower's left develops
5. Incoming players develop, esp. the guards.
6. Few's willingness to foul as the clock runs down when up by 3
7. Win the WCC
8. Make the Sweet Sixteen

former1dog
10-10-2011, 10:31 AM
4. Dower's left develops

Did you mean Dower's right?

coolhandzag
10-10-2011, 12:49 PM
Did you mean Dower's right?

My mistake. I would like to see Dower develop his off (right hand), if nothing more to keep the defense honest.

I would also like to see Few give birth to Bigfoots child. I hope GU has an epidural on hand, just in case.

bartruff1
10-10-2011, 01:59 PM
Mark Few has coached and won 316 Division 1 basketball games with a winning percentage of nearly 80% THREE HUNDRED AND SIXTEEN. He has established records that no one could even imagine. Dr. Krause keeps a comprehensive set of statistics that I would guess is one consideration in the developement of a game plan. Few ,more than anyone, knows the strengths and weakness of his players and his team and of the opposing players and their team. I cannot imagine that someone in here would know more or care more about winning a game. I think the coaching staff's record speaks for it's self.