PDA

View Full Version : - - -Schomburg Hall- - -

gozagswoohoo
10-04-2011, 11:57 AM
Dick would be very honored...

I'm happy that we will now have this permanent fixture on the site, in memory of one of the biggest and best zags fans I've ever known.

Thanks for making this happen.

RenoZag
10-04-2011, 02:49 PM
:clap:

Section 116
10-04-2011, 03:34 PM
:000tens: Dick is deserving of this for sure, well done!

webspinnre
10-04-2011, 04:40 PM
What a great tribute. Nicely done.

sittingon50
10-04-2011, 04:53 PM
Great call on this one, Mods.

gu03alum
10-04-2011, 04:57 PM
great idea!

Pargo the Destroyer
10-04-2011, 07:22 PM
Posting in honor of the voice. Nice touch fellas. Love it.

TheZagPhish
10-04-2011, 09:39 PM
http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

83topper
10-05-2011, 01:26 PM
Nice !

BobZag
10-05-2011, 05:55 PM
Credit Woohoo for the idea. Dick loved baseball. Angelo came up with the forum. Brilliant!

Cavebear33
10-05-2011, 07:39 PM
Great idea! I'm glad he will always have a presence on the board. Thanks Woohoo and the others responsible for the forum.

gozagswoohoo
10-06-2011, 05:48 AM
Dick loved baseball. Angelo came up with the forum. Brilliant!

Thank you Angelo and BZ for getting it done! I think Dick would be very proud of this.

gamagin
10-06-2011, 03:12 PM
makes me smile.

LongIslandZagFan
10-06-2011, 09:05 PM
Just so the facts are known... the only person on this board to successfully traverse a pub crawl in NYC with me from beginning to end is Dick. Hondo... you shall never live that down. It truly is one of my fondest memories of a great man. Dick... you truly were one of the best.

Angelo Roncalli
10-07-2011, 08:24 AM
LIZF's story reminds me of an El Voce and Hondo story...

About 5-6 years ago, Hondo, El Voce and I joined the Kennel Club board to celebrate a big Zag victory. Russell was there, too. The KC kids bought a huge bottle of Jaeger and it was being passed around with enthusiasm. Dick took a healthy chug each time it came his way.

Hondo, on the other hand, would coyly slip his thumb over the top of the bottle each time he tipped it back.

El Voce went home that night well-medicated.

We all met at J&D's the next day for lunch. Hondo and I arrived early and had a shot of Jaeger waiting on the table at the space we'd reserved for Dick. He took one look at it and bellowed at us. The green color on his face contrasted nicely with his yellow and black Pirates jacket.

gozagswoohoo
10-07-2011, 09:40 AM
LIZF's story reminds me of an El Voce and Hondo story...

About 5-6 years ago, Hondo, El Voce and I joined the Kennel Club board to celebrate a big Zag victory. Russell was there, too. The KC kids bought a huge bottle of Jaeger and it was being passed around with enthusiasm. Dick took a healthy chug each time it came his way.

Hondo, on the other hand, would coyly slip his thumb over the top of the bottle each time he tipped it back.

El Voce went home that night well-medicated.

We all met at J&D's the next day for lunch. Hondo and I arrived early and had a shot of Jaeger waiting on the table at the space we'd reserved for Dick. He took one look at it and bellowed at us. The green color on his face contrasted nicely with his yellow and black Pirates jacket.

hahahahaha

Hondo, these stories can't POSSIBLY be true?!?!

zagzealot
10-08-2011, 10:49 AM
:cheers:
I'm so glad someone posted this story!!!

I don't know if this was the same night or not, but if it was, EV didn't just partake in the Meister after the game...
The Zealot family first met Mr. & Mrs. EV as season ticket holders. We sit in directly in front of them. At the time my boys, now known as the Little Zealots, were 7 & 9 I believe. Dick shows up to the game that night more than 3 sheets to the wind and proceeds to tell us about jagermeister and beer pong at the KC house. And in case we forgot about his escapades with the Kennel Club 10 minutes later, he made sure to retell the story to us over and over during the game. And if you don't know this already, Dick's voice is loud. Dick's voice on jagermeister is louder. I'm not sure if Libby was reffing that night but even if he wasn't, Dick was most likely yelling at him.

Angelo Roncalli
10-08-2011, 03:15 PM

I don't know if this was the same night or not, but if it was, EV didn't just partake in the Meister after the game...
The Zealot family first met Mr. & Mrs. EV as season ticket holders. We sit in directly in front of them. At the time my boys, now known as the Little Zealots, were 7 & 9 I believe. Dick shows up to the game that night more than 3 sheets to the wind and proceeds to tell us about jagermeister and beer pong at the KC house. And in case we forgot about his escapades with the Kennel Club 10 minutes later, he made sure to retell the story to us over and over during the game. And if you don't know this already, Dick's voice is loud. Dick's voice on jagermeister is louder. I'm not sure if Libby was reffing that night but even if he wasn't, Dick was most likely yelling at him.

It was that night indeed, Zealot...

Zag79
10-11-2011, 10:59 PM

thats what all that noise was about... :D love the idea woohoo, and thanks for putting it together angelo. seems like the least we could do for such a true Zag.

Akzag
10-13-2011, 02:17 PM
Aptly Done ... :cheers:

Zag79
10-16-2011, 10:46 PM
im thinking a beer meeting may be in order before the first game of the year in honor of el voce, would anyone be interested?

229SintoZag
10-31-2011, 02:16 PM

I sat next to Dick this night and remember it well. I heard the story of the escapade to the KC with jaegermeister more that once that night. At halftime I had to switch seats with Über so I wouldn't have to hear it six more times in the second half.

hondo
11-01-2011, 09:14 PM
Great and true story. The Voice had more than a little trouble walking to the game from the KC pregame function but told me about 12 times that it was a good choice that we walk and not drive.

zagzealot
11-14-2011, 01:19 PM
great tribute Friday night to EV.

As the game went on and GU continued to miss free throws, the eldest little zealot turned to me and said "Dick always said an angel died when we missed a free throw. Man, they're dropping like flies tonight!"

Dick would bellow out that they were killing angels when a ft was missed. Dick, I can picture you up there now at St. Christopher's Bar N Grill tossing back a cold one and telling the guy next to you 'you're next if GU doesn't start makin' these damn FT's!'

And I do feel you tapping my shoulder when Zombie Nation starts. Thanks. ;)

gozagswoohoo
12-01-2011, 11:07 AM
I thought about Dick during the ND game last night. He would have LOVED that game!!

Miss you buddy.

Section 116
12-03-2011, 08:22 PM
You know what he wouldn't have loved is seeing Kyle Dranginis on the bench redshirting. You know, being he is from Nampa and all. We all miss him Woohoo.

gozagswoohoo
12-09-2011, 01:32 PM
You know what he wouldn't have loved is seeing Kyle Dranginis on the bench redshirting. You know, being he is from Nampa and all. We all miss him Woohoo.

You're right about that. Dick had some pretty high hopes for Kyle. Who knows. He could learn a lot this year and BLOW UP next season! I like the idea!

UberZagFan
02-12-2012, 09:52 PM

I sat next to Dick this night and remember it well. I heard the story of the escapade to the KC with jaegermeister more that once that night. At halftime I had to switch seats with Über so I wouldn't have to hear it six more times in the second half.

Uber hasn't had much of chance over the past few months to peruse the board and he just came across this forum and this thread. Yes, that was the night Uber first met El Voce. And he distinctly remembers crashing the KC party and 229 telling him that it was no big deal--we won't be the oldest ones there (not that Uber cared). But dang, he was suprised to see Dick and the rest of that crowd. Not sure if 229 recalls, but we saw Dick right when we were going in and he was loving every minute of it. And he sure had fun at the game and it was always a pleasure to sit next to him at the game. Good times. Real good times.