PDA

View Full Version : Hoopfest Championship Game

Angelo Roncalli
07-02-2007, 10:51 AM
Five Towns Benzel, featuring former Greater Spokane League standouts Eric Benzel and Danny Pariseau, were cruising along when 6-foot-11 Phil Von Buchwaldt found himself looking at an unobstructed lane to the basket.

Von Buchwaldt's eyes got as big as the basket he was about to dunk on. One point would have moved Five Towns within a point of securing the men's 6-foot and over championship.

Dunking, however, is a Hoopfest no-no. After the 3-man referee crew huddled, the basket was disallowed and a point awarded to Team Wildcat. Instead of Five Towns leading 19-16, Team Wildcat pulled within 18-17 and had possession.

The momentum shift was palpable. Team Wildcat's 6-6 Tyler Mitchell, who hadn't launched a shot beyond the extra-point arc previously, banked in a two-point shot that vaulted his team into a 19-18 lead.

Von Buchwaldt scored a basket on an uncontested drive seconds later to tie the score before Mitchell used a low-post move against Von Buchwaldt for the game winner as Team Wildcat rallied for a 20-19 decision.

So, let me make sure I've got this straight. Five Towns Benzel had two Santa Clara grads (Pariseau and Von Buchwaldt--3 SCU degrees between them) on the tarmac in the championship game and snatched defeat from the jaws of victory when the guy with 2 degrees from Santa Clara (Von Buchwaldt) dunked the ball in violation of the rules?

As Carl Spackler would say, "I have to laugh."

Congrats to Lance Den Boer and the Wildcats.

El Voce
07-02-2007, 11:18 AM
Did Pariseau do any flops???:)

sittingon50
07-02-2007, 11:49 AM
Van Buchwaldt's account was classic. Said he got an adrenalin rush & couldn't help himself. Then he opined that they should change the rules for such SPECIAL occasions. :lmao:

roxdoc
07-02-2007, 12:03 PM
DP didn't flop but he sure whined a lot to the refs over the dunk rule!

wazZag
07-02-2007, 12:17 PM
You made my day Angelo. Fantastic story.

GoZags
07-02-2007, 12:24 PM
Where have I heard this one before?

A championship all but wrapped up.

Congratulations have already been said -- by the national media, the local media, the fans and the program.

MVP, Coach of the Year and Newcomer of the Year awards have already been determined. Shoulders have already been strained patting themselves on the back.

Then, doink, a funny thing happens on the way to the Award platform.

NDZag
07-02-2007, 04:04 PM
I had the joy of watching this meltdown occur live on TV. Pariseau was thinking he was pretty hot stuff when they had an 18-12 lead and his team was on fire. But then..............it was just one of those beautiful Santa Clara moments as they choked, big time. They gave up some shots, failed to score, then made the illegal dunk that was disallowed. Finally, they still had a chance to win it and they couldn't. It conjured up a thought of what the end of this season must have felt like to the Broncos.

After volunteering as a court monitor down there all weekend, it really made my day. Hoopfest is a great event.
NDZag

RebornZag
07-02-2007, 04:13 PM
How big is Hoopfest?

BobZag
07-02-2007, 04:39 PM
How big is Hoopfest?

Huge. All of downtown is one miniature court after another. I believe the paper said something like 24,000 people, not including spectators. It's the biggest event of its kind in the nation. Just huuuuge.

saintzag
07-02-2007, 04:45 PM
Reborn, participants come from all over the country.IT IS HUGE.

EL MUSTACIO
07-02-2007, 08:29 PM
Its the biggest 3 on 3 in the WORLD:)

Bocco
07-04-2007, 09:34 AM
How big is Hoopfest?

Reborn-
If you have never been to Hoopfest it is worth the trip to Spokane to hang out and watch. Just envision most of the downtown streets closed down and every inch of street filled with basketballers of all ages, and every inch of sidewalk with spectators.

Nevtelen
07-04-2007, 10:06 AM
I used to work in the B. Dalton's that used to be downtown, across from the WaMu building. I worked a couple years around Hoopfest - it is really huge.

ZagNut08
07-08-2007, 05:40 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=hhEYMnYNQXc

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vYj6l29yOsA