PDA

View Full Version : RIP "El Voce" (Dick Schomburg)

Angelo Roncalli
09-26-2011, 09:56 AM
Our good friend Dick Schomburg--El Voce--passed away last night.

For those that didn't know, Dick served for as the game announcer for the Zags during much of '80's. Hence his board handle, "El Voce."

He loved the Zags and loved the Pittsburgh Pirates.

He was a great Zag.

gamagin
09-26-2011, 10:00 AM
Our good friend Dick Schomburg--El Voce--passed away last night.

For those that didn't know, Dick served for as the game announcer for the Zags during much of '80's. Hence his board handle, "El Voce."

He loved the Zags and loved the Pittsburgh Pirates.

He was a great Zag.

The last time I saw him he was at former Zag Don Migliuri's funeral. He found out shortly after that that he had terminal cancer.

He was but a few years into retirement and should have had at least two more decades to harass his friends & cheer on his favorite teams.

God bless him and his family.

BobZag
09-26-2011, 10:01 AM
Very sad. I'll miss him. Very nice fellow. Always stopped by in his Pirates jacket to chat pregame. A good man.

former1dog
09-26-2011, 10:01 AM
What a shock.

I was a Facebook friend of Dick's and had the pleasure of meeting him at the WCC Tournament in San Diego.

Just the other night I was reading a post of his on FB.

God's speed Dick. Blessings and condolences to your family and friends. My prayers are with you.

coolhandzag
09-26-2011, 10:22 AM
Christ's peace be with all.

MBZags
09-26-2011, 10:28 AM
I interviewed him once for a piece for The Gonzaga Bulletin. A great, knowledgeable man. R.I.P. Dick.

gozagswoohoo
09-26-2011, 10:33 AM
My heart sank when I saw this thread title. I can't believe it. This happened so much faster than I was expecting. Dangit. Dick was, by far, one of the coolest people I have EVER met. When I came to Spokane in February of 2010, Dick drove my brother and I all over Spokane and more, giving us personal tours of just about anything worth seeing. He was SO generous.

What is MOST incredible to me, is that I met Dick for a total of about 3 days...that's it, but his generosity and his love for the zags and his family were SO apparent, and I will really, really miss him. I'm so sorry to hear this...

May God be with his family and close friends. I know he meant a lot to a lot of people.

I'll miss you El Voce!!!! The VOICE of reason!

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i228/gozagswoohoo/ds2.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i228/gozagswoohoo/ds3.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i228/gozagswoohoo/ds5.jpg

Dick was and always be a TRUE zag!
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i228/gozagswoohoo/ds1.jpg

zagzilla
09-26-2011, 10:37 AM
I read hundreds of El Voce's posts over the years at this board as well as the older ones. Did not know who he was in the "real world", but he was a valued member of this community. So sorry to hear of his passing.

We need more "voices of reason in these troubled times"

ZZ

229SintoZag
09-26-2011, 10:37 AM
My season tickets have been right next to The Voice of Reason ever since the move to K2. Games will never be the same. We've lost a great Zag.

gu03alum
09-26-2011, 10:41 AM
I was fortunate enough to meet him once when we got together with woohoo at Dominis. I will miss his posts on this board. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

RenoZag
09-26-2011, 10:46 AM
Dick was one of the first members of this community to reach out when Mrs. RZ had her stroke in 2009. I will miss his friendship and support greatly.

Sad day.

cjm720
09-26-2011, 10:46 AM
Rip.

MDABE80
09-26-2011, 10:49 AM
EV and Don used to lunch frequently at Dominis. I joined them on occasion. Just a big time kind guy and a big time couple of Zag supporters. The older ones pass...he'd lost a lot of weight last time I saw him. Those two guys were glued together. Very nice people in the Zag tradition.
Big loss to our community. We can't replace people like those two.

CDC84
09-26-2011, 11:03 AM
My heart goes out to his wife and the entire family. The Voice will be missed. I especially have on my mind a couple of people on this board who were really close to Dick...you guys know who you are....my sympathies to you as well.

hondo
09-26-2011, 11:25 AM
Met Dick at a GU kegger in 1965 and have shared more than a couple of cold ones with him in the past 46 years. The genuine deal there was not a phony bone in his body.
ElVoce loved his Zags and Pirates and Vandals, Cougs not so much. We lost an all star Zag fan and he will be missed deeply by all who knew him.

HRZag
09-26-2011, 11:26 AM
I am so deeply saddened by this news.

I saw his post on Facebook just a few days ago, "cancer is not for wimps" and was concerned but had no idea he was so ill, so close to the end.

He was the first Zag board member I ever met in person and he was a gentleman and a wonderful representative of what it means to be a Zag.

God Bless you Dick, your family and friends.

We are Gonzaga.

Hoopaholic
09-26-2011, 11:31 AM
Rest in peace and may the good lord bless the family and friends of this great Zag......

kitzbuel
09-26-2011, 11:34 AM
This community without a doubt lost a lot today, but really gained a lot from him as a member.

El Voce -- In these troubled times, a grateful nation lends its ear to THE VOICE OF REASON!!!

GhostZag
09-26-2011, 11:53 AM
Wow, I had no idea - so sad. El Voce... my husband & I would walk past you many times at the MAC, and we would smile at each other because we were reminded of the fun we had bringing Nathan here. When I met you, we shared our love for the Zags, and watching Nathan take in the experience. I think Dick thought: "I love that you love Gonzaga as much as me" which is beautiful. He sent me a PM with the kindest note thanking me, to which I thought "El Voce is an amazing ZAG"! Rest in peace my friend. D & J

GU69
09-26-2011, 11:56 AM
I had no idea that he was sick, but I have been wondering why he hadn't posted here for a while.

Dick and I met when we were freshmen and lived next door to each other in Welch Hall. We last saw each other a couple years ago at a GU game at Santa Clara.

I am saddened to hear of his passing, and my prayers go out to his wife and family.

Ezag
09-26-2011, 11:59 AM
A Great Zag, RIP

TerpZag
09-26-2011, 12:21 PM
Rest In peace, El Voce....

Our thoughts and prayers are with Dick, his family and his many Gonzaga community friends.

Reborn
09-26-2011, 12:25 PM
My condolences go out to Dick's (El Voce) family and friends. El Voce was a steady and calming hand on this often turbulant board, especially after losses. I loved his Name here on the board, El Voce. Just seeing his name on a post got me excited because I would usually take an opposite view of Dick's. And it was fun. He had a huge persona. It's moving to read all the posts by people who's lives Dick touched. I will miss the light that he shined on this board. You are missed already, Dick.

Akzag
09-26-2011, 12:30 PM
Thoughts and Prayers and Many Thanks ...

DanZag
09-26-2011, 12:36 PM
Had many hotdogs and chili at their house while attending Gonzaga-Dick and Beth and their son Neil were always great to hang out with. A true Zag. The Voice will be missed.

MJGoGaels
09-26-2011, 12:39 PM
El Voce - is one of the main reasons I have come to appreciate many of the old Blue and White alumni of GU, and all that he represented. He extended himself outward with such a kind and generous heart that had a direct affect upon me and my enjoyment of the WCC and all its members. Further, our conversations many times were not about GU or basketball but about life and living the right way. Dick Schomburg will always be a friend. I can only hope that the good times shared with all his friends and the memories made outlast the sense of loss and sadness felt at the moment. God Bless and ring the Saint Mary's Bell for El Voce! MJ

zagzealot
09-26-2011, 12:50 PM
The Zealot family has lost a dear friend. The GU games will never be the same. The Little Zealot's games will never be the same. The Mr. and I just finished a reminiscing session about EV - we laughed and cried about so many things. We talked about how he was one of the loyal and true Kennel Clubbers - he was ALWAYS standing and clapping when Zombie Nation started and if we were sitting down in the row in front of him he'd tap us on the shoulder to tell us to get up off our a$$es. Sometimes I'd sit on purpose just to make sure I'd get the "tap, tap" to tease him.

In an email to me last week Dick said he believed "one is judged in life by the friends you make" in response to my comment that he has so many wonderful people around him supporting him. I know he was pleased with the outpouring of love and support from friends and the GU community.

We will miss you more than you can imagine.
The Zealots

Pargo the Destroyer
09-26-2011, 12:54 PM
I'm at a loss for words. I didn't know him as well as most of you.... But I met him when I met woohoo and his brother. A very nice guy and I always liked bantering with him on the boards. Had no idea of his ties to the university and honestly it didn't matter. In the end all that we can leave is a footprint in someone's heart and in their minds.... And it truly seems like The Voice walked a long road and left many footprints. To The Voice......

Cavebear33
09-26-2011, 01:00 PM
Dick and I shared a friendship that started with work, and extended to other walks of life including the Zags. It lasted 27 years. We shared a lot of the same political viewpoints, and enjoyed pointing out the foilbles of those who disagreed with us. He liked to go along with me to walk his dog, Jesse, as I took up the new hobby of geocaching, or as he called it "trinket hunting". We were scheduled to go out on the day he received his diagnosis. It all happened too fast and too suddenly. I'm glad I had a chance to pay him a visit yesterday, along with some other good friends. We didn't know at the time it was goodbye. As others have said, he had a larger than life personality, and my knowing him, made my life better. He will leave a void in the lives of many, including myself. My condolences to Beth, Neil and Michelle and all the Schomburg family.

NotoriousZ
09-26-2011, 01:31 PM
Sad to say I didn't know the man, other than this board. It's easy to see that he was loved by all who did know him. My heart goes out to his family and friends. RIP El Voce.

jazzdelmar
09-26-2011, 02:19 PM
i had no idea he was ill. a wonderful man and class A plus poster. always the voice (of reason and love of Zags) here. irreplaceable.

Zagdawg
09-26-2011, 02:25 PM
We have lost a great member of the Zag family.

My prayers go out to his family members in this difficult time.

I am sure he is in a better place.

Section 116
09-26-2011, 02:53 PM
As Cavebear mentioned I was one of the other friends visiting Dick yesterday afternoon. My wife and I had just returned from a 10 day visit to Pennsylvania, where I grew up, for my high school reunion and family visiting. So among the first words out of Dick's mouth when we walked in yesterday was, "How was the trip to Pennsylvania?" And then we moved on. Though he was tired and weak and didn't contribute a lot to the conversation he was attentive and appeared to enjoy the visit. Little did we know when we left it would be the last time we would see him! It's all just so shocking!

Two things I would share with the board members about Dick. This year he has been all excited about Kyle Dranganis and his coming days as a Zag. As many of you know, Dick was from Nampa, ID and Dranganis was from the old hometown. Over many of our Tuesday lunches Dick would launch into which incoming guards would redshirt because Dranganis was a shoo in to start, what with his three point shooting and his Nampa heritage.

Much like Cavebear I have known Dick for well over 20 years. In fact, one of the first times I ever talked to him was when we both worked for Spokane County and I saw him in a Pittsburgh Pirate jacket and I asked him if he was from Pennsy. He wasn't but he was an ardent fan which leads to this. A couple years back on a slow summer posting day, I posted my 5 worst moments in sports. At #1 for me was the 1960 World Series between the NY Yankees and the Pirates. At the time I was a 12 year old kid and huge Yankee fan who adored Mantle and Yogi and all the Yankees. That world series was an odd one as the Yankees outhit, outscored, out homered and outpitched the Pirates. Yet in the perhaps the most famous homerun in World Series history Bill Mazeroski hit a walk off homer in the bottom of the 9th, the Pirates won the series 4 games to 3 and devestated one 12 year old. Unknown to me because I never asked, Dick said he was a Pirates fan because Vern Law, Pirate pitcher was a native of Meridian ID and that made Dick a fan for life. So while the 1960 World Series was my darkest sports moment, it was one of, if not the happiest sports moment in Dick's life. A fact he reminded me of over and over.

While I didn't know Dick during his heydays at GU, I did hear many of his stories over the years and met many of his former classmates. Dick and I, along with Cavebear and Hondo and a few others spent every Tuesday at lunch, me for the past 4 years, Hondo and Dick for more than that, and Cavebear since he retired some some two years ago.

There is going to be a big hole at our lunch table, a big hole in the GU stands on gameday and a big hole in the lives of Dicks family and friends. I am proud to number Dick among my best friends and I will miss him the rest of my days.

sittingon50
09-26-2011, 03:08 PM
He will be missed. Condolences to family & friends.

LongIslandZagFan
09-26-2011, 03:21 PM
A true giant of the zag community has been lost. Dick was truly a great person, and someone I was glad to call a friend. My thoughts and prayers go out to the entire Schomburg family. Godspeed Dick... Can't wait to watch Zag games from on high with you someday. Rest in peace my friend.

JPtheBeasta
09-26-2011, 04:30 PM
My heart goes out to El Voce and his family. I am very saddened by his passing and know him only through his narrative voice and insights on this board- I can only imagine how those who were close to him or knew him by his real name must feel. El Voce, you will be missed.

Rangerzag
09-26-2011, 04:34 PM
I only met Dick at the WCC tournament a few years ago in Portland. Talk about a gracious fellow who made you know right away he was genuinely pleased to meet you.

Full sympathy for his family and many friends.

Rest In Peace, Dick and thanks for the memories and all the excellent posts over the years.

TheBeast
09-26-2011, 04:54 PM
RIP. I'm in shock.

ZagWhoShotLibertyValance
09-26-2011, 04:57 PM
first of all, i would like to thank el voce en memorium. really, a decent person. second, i would like to think anyone and everyone associated with this board (and the one that preceded it). I never knew the man. I never would have heard of him if it were not for this board. and, today, i am honestly saddened by the passing of a man i never knew but touched me. el voce really was a voice of reason and a decent guy. one of my positive reps (in my old name) came from him....

so, thanks to everyone who had anything to do with helping el voce touch my life.
tonight, as my family and i sit down to dinner, we will say a prayer for a man we never knew.
RIP

MickMick
09-26-2011, 05:09 PM
Deepest sympathy.

MedZag
09-26-2011, 06:14 PM
Wow, in shock as well. Dick was truly blessed with the gift of insight, in innumerable ways. My condolences to the family, though my hunch is that his memory will shine brightly through the grief with time.

LynetteG
09-26-2011, 08:25 PM
i had no idea he was ill. a wonderful man and class A plus poster. always the voice (of reason and love of Zags) here. irreplaceable.

I didn't know either! I saw the thread and just about fell out of my chair. What a guy! I am so sad! Big loss for the Zag family. RIP EV, Godspeed.

Oregon Zag
09-26-2011, 08:37 PM
So, so sad. RIP El Voce. You had great charisma and a very kind heart. We will miss you dearly.

Lurknomore
09-26-2011, 08:55 PM
I didn't know Dick except through his posts which I always enjoyed. He will be missed here. Peace to his family.

ZagNative
09-26-2011, 09:22 PM
I am so sad. The world seems very quiet tonight.

GoZags
09-26-2011, 10:22 PM
Rest in Peace, Dear Friend.

siliconzag
09-26-2011, 10:39 PM
Even though I met him briefly only a couple of times, I am shocked beyond words, and saddened even more. He had a genuinely kind heart and was very inclusive and loving. I can remember writing poems just to entertain him, and feel an emptiness. My special condolences to Hondo and everyone here who loved him. I pray he reserves a spot for me at the heavenly kegger. God rest his soul. He left us far too soon...

SWZag
09-27-2011, 01:41 AM
Sorry to hear. I appreciated his inputs on the board. Loss to the GU family.

SWZag

DixieZag
09-27-2011, 07:05 AM
I never had the opportunity to meet him, yet I feel like a good friend passed simply b/c of his wonderful writing and support of this board. Nice touch MJGoGaels - we fight like dogs about basketball but we are brought together in respect for each other.

Somehow I think he'll have the best seat in heaven to watch his Zags.

zagnut2012
09-27-2011, 07:16 AM
We have lost a member of the ZAG Family. Prayers are with his loved ones...

Zagnut 2012

Zag365
09-27-2011, 09:20 AM
Didn't realize that "El Voce" was Dick Schomburg. I knew him in mid-60s at GU when I was an undergrad and joined The Bulletin to cover sports. Dick wrote a column called "Underdog." Lots of fun listening to him come up with his ideas for each one. We also worked together as part of the gameday stats crew for basketball home games (in the upper/third-floor deck of the Kennedy). I enjoyed covering the team, going to all the games, and having one foot on the inside. Dick, however, was exponentially beyond most of us. He LOVED following the Zags and knew all kinds of obscure anecdotes and stats. He was also friends with some of the players. Always wondered what happened to him. Stunned to realize that he's been a "neighbor" all this time on the Board and has now passed on. Not surprised that he stayed so close to Zag basketball

TexasZagFan
09-27-2011, 09:51 AM
This is devastating news. I never met him, but thought of him as a friend through the GU Board.

RIP, El Voce.

Salsageek
09-27-2011, 09:52 AM
RIP El Voce. :(
Even though I don't know you but I feel like I've lost a close friend.

jazzdelmar
09-27-2011, 09:56 AM
how many times this season and in the future will we get into a thorny, contentious debate on this board and say silently to ourselves, "what would el voce say?"

Zag Man
09-27-2011, 11:24 AM
I was very sad to hear of the passing of Dick Schomburg. I met Dick at Welch Hall in 1965 and he was extremely kind to this very lonely and homesick boy from Hawaii. I was so scared during that period, since it was my first trip ever to the “mainland.” As a result, I hadn’t eaten in 2-3 days when Dick invited me to join him for breakfast the next day. He must have thought I had an “empty wooden leg” since I really packed down the food that morning…..he just didn’t realize I was literally starving to death!

Dick and I loved watching and playing basketball. We played a lot at the old gym. It was so funny since here was this 6’5” guy who wanted to be a guard and wanted me (all 5’ 6”) of me to rebound! To tell you the truth I was probably a better rebounder than a shooter. Dick had a natural shot and he loved taking guys away from the basket and shooting over them.

Dick invited me to visit his home during the spring break that freshman year, and I went to Nampa, Idaho, where I got to see that beautiful part of the country and to meet his Mom and Dad, who were the sweetest people in the world! My own Mom and Dad really appreciated the Schomburgs for caring for their son, and I remember they went out to dinner together at our graduation day from Gonzaga. The Schomburgs were all very special people!

I lost track of Dick over the years, but I wanted everyone to know what a special guy he was….just a friendly guy who loved life! Sometimes we touch people in small ways, but that time is never forgotten by that individual. I will also remember Dick for all the kindness he showed me. He certainly helped make my time at Gonzaga very, very special. I do want to express my sincerest condolences to his family.

gozagswoohoo
09-27-2011, 12:16 PM
I just wanted to say that I appreciate everyone posting stories and things about Dick. I am really enjoying this thread a lot. I wish Dick could have seen and read just how much he meant to so many different people. He will be missed by many.

webspinnre
09-27-2011, 12:23 PM
Eternal rest grant unto him O Lord, and may perpetual light shine upon him.

TheZagPhish
09-27-2011, 12:43 PM
Dick reached out to me several times over the past several years, taking me to dinner and games, having drinks, sharing stories from way back. I loved those times.

A few years back my young teenaged daughter got active on the board. It didn't last, but her closest friend here - the one who reached out most regularly and tenderly - was Voice. Incredibly cool.

Peace and love to his well traveled soul, as well as to his friends and family.

Thank you, Dick, for your grace, humour, reason and kindness. You were a consummate Zag.

23dpg
09-27-2011, 02:21 PM
RIP

I didn't know him either but he was one of my favorite posters. Always reasoned and knowledgable. Very sad.

lazlo toth
09-27-2011, 03:03 PM
There will be more than a few guys at the Orleans dressed in the red and blue of Moraga who will be toasting Dick. This is one Gael who will very much miss his friend, El Voce.

HillBillyZag
09-27-2011, 03:32 PM
A very knowledgable Zag fan and a thoughtful poster. R.I.P.

hondo
09-27-2011, 03:48 PM
So there we were back in the day and Dick was the PA man at the GU games. The Zags were playing Central Washington that night and one of the main guys for Central was named Andy Aftholder. After the game ElVoce told me that it was names like that that kept him from having a beer or 2 before the game.--True story

zagirl2k
09-27-2011, 08:44 PM
El Voce was one of a kind and a true Zag to the core. He will be greatly missed.

Birddog
09-28-2011, 05:44 AM
Major Bummer, that's 2 classmates in the last couple of months. The "Voice of Reason" will be missed.

ellenvega
09-28-2011, 07:57 AM
I'm sorry to hear this, I always enjoyed reading his posts.

Rest in peace.

gamagin
09-28-2011, 08:31 AM
appeared in today's Spokesman-Review in Spokane. RIP

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/spokesman/obituary.aspx?n=richard-schomburg&pid=153859666

Colbyspapa
09-28-2011, 01:44 PM
One of my favorite posters. Rest with God El Voce.

drnoe
09-28-2011, 04:03 PM
RIP, El Voce. I never met him, but I knew he was special person on this board.

wazZag
09-28-2011, 04:39 PM
R.I.P. Never personally met the man, but enjoyed his level-headed posts on this board (and its predecessor) for many years. My heart sunk seeing the title of this thread.

mendiant
09-28-2011, 04:52 PM
RIP Richard...

Just read his obituary in the newspaper...

My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

He will be missed.

mendiant

Bulldog
09-28-2011, 05:24 PM
This news made me think of Isaiah 57.
I worked with Dick and saw him at most of the games. We talked Zag basketball at every opportunity.
I just had to remember to avoid politics, as there was no winning an argument there.
Thanks for being my friend El Voce, will miss you. RIP.

ZaggyStardust
09-28-2011, 05:25 PM
I'm so very sad. El Voce was one of the first board posters I met in person (along with Hondo) at a pregame get together at David's Pizza (also gone)... He was so kind and I will miss running into him at games. He was also one of my favorite posters - always looked forward to his perspective - especially when times were rocky. I can only imagine how difficult this time is for the many close friends he had as well as his family. Hopefully there can be some sort of a tribute for him at a game - especially since he was truly a member of the Zag family... RIP El Voce.... You will be missed.

UberZagFan
09-28-2011, 05:38 PM
This is very sad news. While I didn't know El Voce real well, I did have the occasion to meet him a few times at games when I used 229Sinto's tickets. He was always friendly calling me Uber and asking how were the kids and my wife.

My condolences to his wife and family. Rest in peace, Dick.

Zags11
09-28-2011, 06:52 PM
Knew dick and beth because of my aunt and uncle and two cousins. I delivered his bed in july. It was shocking because he an i chatted about zag season coming up. RIP

primal23
09-28-2011, 07:20 PM
RIP thoughts and prayers with family and friends

Zagineer
09-28-2011, 09:54 PM
I've just returned from a business trip to read of this sad news.

I've been privileged to have met Dick once. It was at the first WCC Tourney at The Orleans. I have Reno to thank for that meeting because of the GO ZAGS T-Shirts he distributed that year. Walking down a cooridor during a game session, it was Dick that approached me and introduced himself when he noticed the shirt I was wearing. That was followed by an enjoyable 10 minute conversation.

From my brief encounter in person I had with Dick, I can truly say that the friendly and wisdom-filled messages that Dick has posted on these boards truly represents what I expereinced when I met him in person.

Thoughts and prayers from the 'Neer family are sent out to Dick's family and all those that were close to him.

229SintoZag
09-28-2011, 10:53 PM
how many times this season and in the future will we get into a thorny, contentious debate on this board and say silently to ourselves, "what would el voce say?"

We will unfortunately get in this situation all too much. But when it happens, we can never ask "what would El Voce say" too often. Great point. Here is one of many ways El Voce will be dearly missed.

Oregonzagnut
09-29-2011, 12:47 PM
Well, his last post was http://www.guboards.com/showthread.php?p=671818#post671818

His reason and insight will be irreplaceable, his friendly all inclusive attitude and HUMOR must carry on. And as such I will reply to him on his final post.

PilotNut
09-29-2011, 12:58 PM
My condolensces to Dick's family and friends--you are all in my thoughts.

I had a few brief interactions with Dick over the years, and he was always a class act and a true fan... a real loss for GU and college hoops.

Zag 77
09-29-2011, 02:45 PM
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/spokesman/obituary.aspx?n=richard-schomburg&pid=153859666

ZagMan in Philly
09-29-2011, 03:25 PM
Rest in Peace Dick, you will be missed. My heartfelt condolences go out to your family and friends. This has been a tremendous shock on us all.
Enjoy the games from above.

Knotsolucky
09-29-2011, 04:13 PM
Very very sad news indeed. You will be missed Dick....

Dogtownkid
09-29-2011, 05:04 PM
I haven't seen him since some time last year. I didn't even know he'd been ill. A loss to this board.

Proudzagmom
09-29-2011, 06:09 PM
I am so saddened to read this. I, too, met Dick at The Orleans our first year in Vegas and I saw him at a handful of games in Spokane after that. He was always very kind and took the time to chat. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family. I will miss you El Voce.

83topper
09-30-2011, 05:40 AM
I hate to hear this our prayers to his family. I am an "outsider" but after hanging around here for Four years it seems like family.
RIP Friend.

gamagin
10-01-2011, 12:37 PM
A very warm & loving service was held today for our Friend, Dick. His dear friend Jeff Jordan, his son, Neil, and his best friend, Joe Everson, all spoke about the man they had known most, if not all, of their lives.

Jordan and Everson were both longtime sportswriters at the Spokesman-Review. Dick was a dorm mate with Everson at GU. They also shared several apartments after college, coached together and remained friends, along with Jordan, all of their adult lives.

Neil had the toughest time saying goodbye to his dad. But he did a great job, ending with the heartbreaking story that his Dad always wanted to be a Grandpa.

"Well, Michelle and a I are going to have that grandchild this January," Neil told the audience. "We are going to have a daughter. One of Dad's goals was to live long enough to meet her. We are heartbroken that he won't be here."

"But I promise, his granddaughter will learn all about her grandpa for the rest of our lives. And I will tell her all about the many friends here today who have come to help us say goodbye."

God Bless you, El Voce. God bless your family, especially your wife, Beth and son Neil. RIP.

After the service and the eulogies, it was announced that Dick himself had chosen the music by which we were to depart. And the music began and we marched out.

Please join in, if the spirit moves you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyLjbMBpGDA

john montana
10-01-2011, 12:42 PM
Sad news...rest in peace...

gozagswoohoo
10-01-2011, 01:46 PM
A very warm & loving service was held today for our Friend, Dick. His dear friend Jeff Jordan, his son, Neil, and his best friend, Joe Everson, all spoke about the man they had known most, if not all, of their lives.

Jordan and Everson were both longtime sportswriters at the Spokesman-Review. Dick was a dorm mate with Everson at GU. They also shared several apartments after college, coached together and remained friends, along with Jordan, all of their adult lives.

Neil had the toughest time saying goodbye to his dad. But he did a great job, ending with the heartbreaking story that his Dad always wanted to be a Grandpa.

"Well, Michelle and a I are going to have that grandchild this January," Neil told the audience. "We are going to have a daughter. One of Dad's goals was to live long enough to meet her. We are heartbroken that he won't be here."

"But I promise, his granddaughter will learn all about her grandpa for the rest of our lives. And I will tell her all about the many friends here today who have come to help us say goodbye."

God Bless you, El Voce. God bless your family, especially your wife, Beth and son Neil. RIP.

After the service and the eulogies, it was announced that Dick himself had chosen the music by which we were to depart. And the music began and we marched out.

Please join in, if the spirit moves you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyLjbMBpGDA

Oh my gosh, I woulda been crying like a baby during that. Especially while Neil was talking....I know how much Dick wanted to make it to January....

I met Neil once, in Vegas. Seems like a really nice guy, and being Dicks son, I know he was a nice guy. God Bless him and his family, and that baby on the way.

Glad to hear the service was nice.

gamagin
10-01-2011, 02:31 PM
Oh my gosh, I woulda been crying like a baby during that. Especially while Neil was talking....I know how much Dick wanted to make it to January....

I met Neil once, in Vegas. Seems like a really nice guy, and being Dicks son, I know he was a nice guy. God Bless him and his family, and that baby on the way.

Glad to hear the service was nice.

There weren't many dry eyes. Many times. A lot of love in the room. And sadness.

I'm hoping Hondo, JHoops, Section 116 and Cavebear chime in. There were many lol moments, some of which Hondo mentioned at the reception.

They are worth repeating but I didn't write them down & didn't want to mangle the moments.

Section 116
10-01-2011, 06:50 PM
I didn't take any notes either. Even had I thought about it, I was much to emotional to write anything down. I will take a stab at some things I recall and apologize in advance if I don't get the facts quite right. One of the things that brought smiles to many faces was Jeff Jordan's recitation of 10 things you would never hear Dick Schomburg say. I don't think it is a secret to most on the board but Dick was a staunch Democrat and Jordan's top 10 reflected Dick's political leanings. I recall a couple of the top 10 you would never hear Dick say: Richard Nixon was a great president. Also in speaking to his wife, Dick would never say, "Michelle Bachmann is is town, let's go down and see what she has to say!" I hope others can recall some more of the top 10. Also Dick's longtime friend Joe Everson who recalled he did tell Dick he loved him during Dicks last days alive, which certainly turned on the waterworks, noted Dick had the longest bachelor party Joe had ever heard of. As I recall Joe noted the bachelor party lasted some three days and on the day of the wedding while looking for something to put on his breakfast oatmeal, Joe settled on Jack Daniels as that seemed to be the only beverage in the house. Joe noted he had Jack Daniels on oatmeal for breakfast this morning in Dick's honor. I hope I got that right. Among other things I took away from the service was Dick's longtime compassion for the underdog and the less fortunate. Also Dick always had a taste for cold beer. And of course he loved the Pittsburgh Pirates and all things Gonzaga. Gamagin did a nice job of covering the service. I hope others will chime in and I hope I have additional recall to add more.

GoZags
10-01-2011, 07:08 PM
Right now I can only recall one of the other "Top 10" things you'd never hear Dick say:

It was "Go Cougs"

Have to thank Hondo for schlepping me from the airport to the service (then back to the airport). It was a wonderful Memorial -- and Gamagin was correct -- there was soooo much love in that room.

Section 116
10-01-2011, 07:14 PM
Another top 10, at least in rough terms, "My son Neil is an exemplary driver!" Sorry about that Neil, That's how I recall the statement!

Cavebear33
10-01-2011, 08:18 PM
It was Neil's Bachelor party that lasted three days. According to Joe, that was nothing compared to Dick's, which went on in some form or another for three weeks. Neil said he was initially worried about having his dad at his, but as it turned out, Dick then in his early sixties, turned out to be the life of the party and wowed all of Neil's young friends with his wit and energy. Jeff Jordan, Joe Everson and Neil all represented Dick well in their eulogies. It was an overflow crowd and there wasn't a dry eye in the house as we all remembered Dick for the fantastic friend and general all around great human being he was. Aside from his family, there were people there representing his past associations with Gonzaga, the media, Spokane County and other walks of life. Many then went to Europa's Restaurant in downtown Spokane for a reception after the services. Dick would have loved it, and many a beer was tilted to his memory. As Neil said, one of the most tragic things about Dick's sudden passing was the fact he'll never get to see his granddaughter, due to arrive in January. He was already calling her "Precious Devine" Schomburg. I know Neil, Michelle and Beth will make sure she knows what a loving grandfather she has, even in spirit. Once, a few months ago, when he and I were out and about on one of our jaunts, he was teasing me about whether he was my "BFF". Later, on our last trip out together, which was cut short by his fatigue from the illness, I told him he was, and he will continue to be. There are not many people that have an real impact on your life such as Dick Schomburg did on mine. I know that's true for many others as well. Rest well old friend, you'll always have a special place in my heart.

Section 116
10-01-2011, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the bailout Cavebear, I knew I'd screw something up! As you noted Dick had friends from evey facet of his life represented at his service. We should all be so fortunate.

RenoZag
10-01-2011, 09:07 PM
Thanks for sharing your accounts. . .

hondo
10-02-2011, 10:45 AM
As has been said it was about as nice service as I have been to. There were some tears but much more laughter. Jordy, Neil and Joe all did a wonderful jobs of capturing the life and times of our pal. GoZag came from Seattle. Our pals from God is a Gael sent flowers which was very thoughtful. A few years back Dick and I made a road trip by rail with the St. Marys gang to one of their games in Reno.
Dick and Joe and Scott and Pat had very successfully coached youth football and baseball some of those stories were told.
Dick's life was a good life full of family, friends and sport and the good times far outnumber any others.

thespywhozaggedme
10-02-2011, 04:39 PM
Oh wow, just saw this; very sad. RIP El Voce

LongIslandZagFan
10-02-2011, 08:23 PM
I hate to hear this our prayers to his family. I am an "outsider" but after hanging around here for Four years it seems like family.
RIP Friend.

You are family 83 and I can assure you El Voce would tell you so himself if he could.

Thanks for the recap of the service gam... wish I could have been there.

TheZagPhish
10-02-2011, 11:11 PM

http://cl.ly/Acbe/hey-hey-hey-hey.gif

mee755
10-03-2011, 01:14 PM
Wow. Shocked and saddened. El Voce was always a calming presence here, and I can only assume he was that way in person.

MJGoGaels
10-03-2011, 01:57 PM
Dick you are loved, remembered and well regarded and it was a privilege to travel the WCC road together. Amen, brother. MJ

U Zig, I Zag
10-03-2011, 03:20 PM
Most certainly will be missed. RIP, Voce.

gamagin
10-03-2011, 08:55 PM
at El Voce's service last Saturday. She looked vaguely familiar from behind so I moved a bit and took a peak.

It was Karen Migliuri. Her husband, ex-Zag Don Migliuri, and another close friend of Dick's, had died just four month's earlier.

It was at Don's funeral that I last saw, spent time, ate and visited with el Voce.

Seeing Karen brought it all back to me. And reading the kind words and condolences in this thread prompted me to look up the nearby thread on Don, to see what El Voce had to say about our friend.

Don had been battling cancer for about two years when he died. Dick found out shortly after Don's funeral in June that he had an aggressive, terminal cancer and not much time left on earth.

It turned out to be about four months.

Here's what one good friend had to say about another, not knowing his words about Don would soon be used to describe his also dying way too soon.

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=34845

jim77
10-06-2011, 12:01 AM
My only Knowledge of "The Voice of reason" was reading his posts...he indeed was a "Voice of reason". Behind every poster here is a father..son..mother...daughter...sister...brother. ...many loved ones...my condolences to his family...the world and this board are a lessor place now.

RIP.

Zag79
10-11-2011, 11:11 PM
thanks for all the stories, i always think how lucky you are in life to have so many good memories with those closest to you and its obvious in this thread. our season tickets are right by dick and beth, and he has been a family friend for as long as i can remember. he will certainly be missed, talking hoops with dick was always something i looked forward to. it will be a tough season with the voice, ill definately be raising a brew in your honor before the first game el voce!

NJZag
10-13-2011, 09:09 AM
http://media.scout.com/Media/Other/94_NYC1.JPG

Remembering ElVoce brings back memories of the first personal encounter ...

Fresh off the plane at Newark Airport, EV and his Zag War Party (or was that Zag Fun Party?) were met and arrived at the house where they'd spend Night #1 before heading into the city.

A game of "go long" soon followed in the basement, with EV as QB, and the old Black Lab "rescue" dog as wide receiver. (Man, could that dog leap high even in advanced age to catch a pigskin!)

A debate ... which didn't last for long ... about who would take as personal guest quarters the bedroom in the basement where the dog had his own sleeping cushion. Nobody (not even Hondo) would mess with El Voce when he wanted to hang out with a newfound canine pal.

There were a few other games, mostly in the Bay area, with chances for meet-ups. EV was synonymous with finding good beer, good food, good friends, sharing good cheer, and EXTREME Zag loyalty. Loved by family and friends, Dick would probably be the first to say he'd had a wonderfully good life.

Will miss that ol' Nampa asparagus picker, both on the Board and as someone to look up in Spokane on the too-infrequent trips that get me back there. Kind of hope that he was greeted at the pearly gates not only by his human loved ones who passed on before him, but by the wagging tails of every dearly departed canine he'd befriended in life ... including ours.

http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=5175

"Go long ........." Dick Schomburg did, but just not as long as we all would have liked.

BobZag
12-15-2011, 10:04 AM
I'll never forget how Dick hated bread pudding. Just loathed the stuff. Hondo and his other friends would deliberately take large portions of bread pudding from the breakfast buffet at Northern Quest where the guys met every Tuesday. It would just about gag Dick to have to sit there while everyone talked about how great the bread pudding was while gorging it down. Could be wrong but I think Dick even got up and moved to another table once, hahah.

The current Denny's TV ad pushing "bread pudding french toast" made me think of this. I have to chuckle.

gozagswoohoo
12-15-2011, 01:48 PM
I'll never forget how Dick hated bread pudding. Just loathed the stuff. Hondo and his other friends would deliberately take large portions of bread pudding from the breakfast buffet at Northern Quest where the guys met every Tuesday. It would just about gag Dick to have to sit there while everyone talked about how great the bread pudding was while gorging it down. Could be wrong but I think Dick even got up and moved to another table once, hahah.

The current Denny's TV ad pushing "bread pudding french toast" made me think of this. I have to chuckle.

haha. That's funny to picture. Thanks for sharing.

lothar98zag
12-26-2011, 11:22 AM

RIP Dick.

bulldogshawn
02-02-2013, 07:37 PM
I haven't posted on the board in years, just found this and wanted to add my sentiments to those voiced by many others. Thank you Dick for all you did for so many of us!

Zags11
02-10-2014, 11:21 PM
Dick was great guy. Thinking how I delivered him a new bed before his passing.