PDA

View Full Version : Gottlieb mentions Josh as a potential lottery pick in 08

GonzagaLove
07-01-2007, 04:35 PM
Josh Heytvelt, Gonzaga
"Ultra-athletic big man who needs the year to repair his off-court image. On the floor, he needs to play with more consistency. But when he brings it, he is a lottery pick."

If Josh brings it like he did against UNC, I have no doubt.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/insider/columns/story?columnist=gottlieb_doug&id=2921090

MickMick
07-01-2007, 04:38 PM
I stand by what I have said all along. Josh should have been in this year's draft class. Barring any further incidents, we only get him for one more year. I will be shocked if he doesn't declare after the season.

soonerterp
07-01-2007, 04:39 PM
Fair assessment.

Although -- If he doesn't get into any more trouble I dont think his off-court issues will be an issue in as much as getting into the NBA. The Bulls -- a team that tries to avoid this kind of stuff like the plague -- just drafted JamesOn Curry, whose pre-college issues were well-documented.

Heytvelt WILL be an NBA player someday.

CDC84
07-01-2007, 04:47 PM
The Bulls -- a team that tries to avoid this kind of stuff like the plague -- just drafted JamesOn Curry, whose pre-college issues were well-documented.

Well Curry's issues were several years ago. Curry had 3+ years to repair the damage done by his high school antics.....

If you want a better example, how about the Nets drafting BC's Sean Williams who had numerous problems with teammates and drugs and was eventually kicked off the team for good. Of course Williams, had he been a model citizen, had the talent to be top 10 pick, which he ended up not being.

I'm not ruling out the idea of Josh turning pro after this year, but it will depend on him developing consistency (as Gottlieb talks about) and several other things.....

sanfranzagsguy20
07-01-2007, 04:52 PM
I stand by what I have said all along. Josh should have been in this year's draft class. Barring any further incidents, we only get him for one more year. I will be shocked if he doesn't declare after the season.

completely agree...am tempted to throw pargo into that conversation as well but i think his position plays a huge part in that...he needs to be more consistent this year but i have to say i wouldnt really be surprised if both heytvelt AND pargo will both declare after this season...if nothing else pargo puts his name in the pool and finds out what he needs to work on before coming back

BobZag
07-01-2007, 04:54 PM
He may need more than one year of separation. Just an opinion. Pro sports are really emphasizing citizenship nowadays.

MickMick
07-01-2007, 05:03 PM
He may need more than one year of separation. Just an opinion. Pro sports are really emphasizing citizenship nowadays.

If he were associated with typical criminal activity, I would agree. Concealed weapons, violating parole, assault.....these are the type of issues that are facing "zero tolerance" in pro sports.

Drugs are slightly different. Drug testing results are kept private until a thresh hold is exceeded that requires league intervention/punishment. The punishment is typically a "graded approach". In other words, the more times you are caught, the more severe the penalty. You gotta understand that the influential people running this country come from the 60's and 70's. Many influential people have dabbled in drugs in their youth. Much fewer dabbled in crime. And yes, there are many from that era that still believe that drug use is different than other "traditional" types of crime. Me included.

Josh just used up one of his strikes early. It will cost him some money, but it will not blackball him from the league. I would agree that another year of separation could improve his draft status and paycheck.

MDABE80
07-01-2007, 05:24 PM
Can't read the article because I'm not a subscriber. Doug is usually pretty harsh although he's sorta fickle. Josh is a rare bird.......big athletic and he can shoot 3's pretty well. He's a real attractive kid. I don't think that incident will matter too much considering the lust for talent in the NBA.
Gosh I'd hate to see him leave us. I'm a bit silly but I don't even like to hear about it.
Final Four team is 1 year away IMO. We'd be hurt by his leaving much more than when Adam left. If he has a 20/10 year AND he's consistent in his play, it'll be hard to keep him down on the farm. It's his HEAD. If he keeps that part focused, well........aaaaaaaack! I don't wanna think about it.

soonerterp
07-01-2007, 06:38 PM
Well Curry's issues were several years ago. Curry had 3+ years to repair the damage done by his high school antics.....

If you want a better example, how about the Nets drafting BC's Sean Williams who had numerous problems with teammates and drugs and was eventually kicked off the team for good. Of course Williams, had he been a model citizen, had the talent to be top 10 pick, which he ended up not being.

I'm not ruling out the idea of Josh turning pro after this year, but it will depend on him developing consistency (as Gottlieb talks about) and several other things.....

I stand corrected ... Sean Williams TOTALLY slipped my mind and what's more, his issues WERE more recent.

Another thing I am wondering: Are we for sure that Heytvelt and Davis WILL be back on the roster next season? Even though I check this board daily, I seem to have missed that.

RenoZag
07-01-2007, 06:38 PM
Dougie G has this to say about Kevin Love:

2. Kevin Love, UCLA
The most complete big man to enter college basketball in a long time. Love is strong as an ox, a solid athlete, has a tremendous basketball IQ, a ridiculous outlet passer (coaches are raving) and his offensive arsenal is as complete as Tim Duncan's.

RenoZag
07-01-2007, 06:49 PM
Another thing I am wondering: Are we for sure that Heytvelt and Davis WILL be back on the roster next season? Even though I check this board daily, I seem to have missed that.

Don't know that you missed anything. . .I don't believe there has been anything "official" from the Athletic Dept. re: a formal reinstatement for JH & TD.

At some point, I would expect Roth or Few to issue something that says both have met their legal obligations, have remained in good standing academically, and have been reinstated.

From this Zag fan's POV, I hope they're healthy and wiser to the ways of the world and kick some big time tail on the court this coming year.

All the discussion about recruits and prospects for '08-'09 is interesting but I'm more psyched about the '07 - '08 campaign than I was before Ammo's final year. . .this current crop has "special" written all over 'em !!

ZagNut08
07-01-2007, 07:00 PM
Josh also has a kid who he has to worry about providing for...so he may use that as a factor should he leave early

there is no doubt he has the potential. he hasn't had a complete season yet...between the broken ankle the first year and the drug issues this year.

with an entire year, and another year to train he could be. Also, if he has cleaned up his off court issues it will only help his focus and performance imo

CDC84
07-01-2007, 07:08 PM
2. Kevin Love, UCLA
The most complete big man to enter college basketball in a long time. Love is strong as an ox, a solid athlete, has a tremendous basketball IQ, a ridiculous outlet passer (coaches are raving) and his offensive arsenal is as complete as Tim Duncan's.

I have to see it to believe it. I have heard more than a few analysts question how Love projects at the next level, and if he'll be anywhere near as good as he will be in college. And believe me, he's going to be a terrific college player. But the NBA is a different game.

There is a big difference between Love and Duncan: Love is 6-9 with elevated shoes, while Tim Duncan is 6-11. And while Love may have "solid athleticism", he doesn't possess the overwhelming athleticism and jumping ability necessary to make up for that 2 inches. Hence, he isn't even listed on nbadraft.net's 2008 mock list. Not that UCLA fans mind........

MickMick
07-01-2007, 07:15 PM
I have to see it to believe it. I have heard more than a few analysts question how Love projects at the next level, and if he'll be anywhere near as good as he will be in college. And believe me, he's going to be a terrific college player. But the NBA is a different game.

There is a big difference between Love and Duncan: Love is 6-9 with elevated shoes, while Tim Duncan is 6-11. And while Love may have "solid athleticism", he doesn't possess the overwhelming athleticism and jumping ability necessary to make up for that 2 inches. Hence, he isn't even listed on nbadraft.net's 2008 mock list. Not that UCLA fans mind........

The way many describe him, it sounds like he should be playing point guard. The folks at UCLA believe he will be the best passing center in history...at any level.

zagco
07-01-2007, 07:17 PM
Boy, I've heard a lot about Josh Heytvelt's alleged talents, and I've seen some glimpses of good play, especially on offense, from him. However, looking at his raw, actual playing numbers, I hesitate to make any predictions about Josh being a lottery pick or even drafted next year.

MickMick
07-01-2007, 08:48 PM
Boy, I've heard a lot about Josh Heytvelt's alleged talents, and I've seen some glimpses of good play, especially on offense, from him. However, looking at his raw, actual playing numbers, I hesitate to make any predictions about Josh being a lottery pick or even drafted next year.

I'll give you the glimpses part, but consider where he was when he stopped playing relative to other top underclassmen. Oden, Durant, Hawes and Wright all started slow and ended in a big flourish. Their early season was "glimpses" too. Josh arguably played at an early season level that was comparable (to their early season level), then missed his opportunity for the comparable strong finish. Watch that early season tape of Texas,Washington or UNC again. He played at those other's early season level. Had he played the full season, things would have been much different. I really do believe that he would have declared and been drafted by now. Cmon...the guy is a stud! A sure-fire NBA player.

Gottlieb doesn't live in a cave. He doesn't cover Golf or Tennis in the off season either. He covers basketball exclusively and has conversations/connections with a multitude of basketball people. He has Josh on that list for a reason. Mainly because it is true.

CDC84
07-01-2007, 09:45 PM
The folks at UCLA believe he will be the best passing center in history...at any level.

Being that the greatest big man passer in the history of the game once played in Westwood, they certainly have an idea of what constitutes greatness in that area. I think Love is going fit well at UCLA, but imagine him as an outlet passer at North Carolina, Gonzaga or Memphis...programs that currently thrive in the transition game. He would be unbelievable.