PDA

View Full Version : GU Cross Country beat the Ducks

former1dog
09-12-2011, 07:50 AM
This is a pretty big deal:

http://www.gozags.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=26400&ATCLID=205269772

Angelo Roncalli
09-12-2011, 08:42 AM
The Ducks may not have been running all of their studs, but Gonzaga defeating #4 ranked Oregon has to rank as one of the greatest upsets in the history of Gonzaga athletics.

former1dog
09-12-2011, 08:57 AM
The Ducks may not have been running all of their studs, but Gonzaga defeating #4 ranked Oregon has to rank as one of the greatest upsets in the history of Gonzaga athletics.

Ducks not running a few of their top guys and it definitely would have made a difference.

That said, Gonzaga didn't run a few top guys either.

By the end of the year, Oregon will definitely have a better cross country team than Gonzaga, but this is still a pretty big deal and next to actually having scholarships for the team, will do a lot for recruiting.

ehk 21
09-19-2011, 10:18 AM
I think Coach Tyson is great, but I think he's engaging in some big-time hyperbole here to fire people up. Oregon wasn't running any of its good athletes. It really was Oregon's "B" team as I don't think any of their top 7 was running. It wasn't an upset at all, as one would hope that three years into Tyson's tenure that Gonzaga's top 7 (minus one or two) could beat Oregon's second seven. I'm not trying to negate a program that is growing and improving, but don't get expectations up by a somewhat misleading result. The WCC meet will be a good marker of Gonzaga's progress. A 4th place finish in conference would be outstanding for the men, but don't be dismayed by a 5th or 6th place result as that isn't beyond the realm of possibility.

former1dog
09-19-2011, 11:33 AM
I think Coach Tyson is great, but I think he's engaging in some big-time hyperbole here to fire people up. Oregon wasn't running any of its good athletes. It really was Oregon's "B" team as I don't think any of their top 7 was running. It wasn't an upset at all, as one would hope that three years into Tyson's tenure that Gonzaga's top 7 (minus one or two) could beat Oregon's second seven. I'm not trying to negate a program that is growing and improving, but don't get expectations up by a somewhat misleading result. The WCC meet will be a good marker of Gonzaga's progress. A 4th place finish in conference would be outstanding for the men, but don't be dismayed by a 5th or 6th place result as that isn't beyond the realm of possibility.

Considering the prominence of BYU, Portland, and USF and the fact that several other programs are not slouches whatsoever, I agree that 4th would be very good result.

That said, the optics of our team beating (even a depleted) Oregon squad is great from many vantage points.

There is a LONG hill to climb though if we ever want to be competitive with the UP's and BYU's of the world, though. IMHO, it won't happen until we have actually financial support for the team in the form of scholarships.