PDA

View Full Version : Bouldin Selected for 12-Man U19 USA Roster

ZagNative
06-30-2007, 09:01 AM
Congrats to Matt!

USA Basketball (http://www.usabasketball.com/news.php?news_page=o7_mu19_teamnamed)

USA Men's U19 World Championship Team Named

DALLAS, Texas (June 30, 2007) – Selecting from 18 players who participated in the USA Basketball U19 World Championship Trials in Dallas, Texas, USA Basketball announced today the official 12 player roster for the USA U19 squad. Featuring three members of last summer’s victorious USA U18 Team, the selected players will represent the United States in the 2007 FIBA U19 World Championship (players must be born on or after Jan. 1, 1988) that will be held July 12-22 in Novi Sad, Serbia.

Selected for the USA U19 World Championship squad were: Darrell Arthur (Kansas / Dallas, Texas); Michael Beasley (Notre Dame Prep, Mass./ Frederick, Md.); Patrick Beverley (Arkansas / Chicago, Ill.): Matt Bouldin (Gonzaga / Highlands Ranch, Colo.); Stephen Curry (Davidson / Charlotte, N.C.); Jonny Flynn (Niagara Falls H.S. / Niagara Falls, N.Y.); Donte’ Greene (Towson Catholic H.S. / Baltimore, Md.); DeAndre Jordan (Bellaire Episcopal H.S. / Humble, Texas); David Lighty (Ohio State / Cleveland, Ohio); Raymar Morgan (Michigan State / Canton, Ohio); Tajuan Porter (Oregon / Detroit, Mich.); and Deon Thompson (North Carolina / Torrance, Calif.).

Roster (http://www.usabasketball.com/men_team.php?page=mu19wc_roster#2007trials)

TheZagPhish
06-30-2007, 09:06 AM
I am looking forward to the leap he makes this year!

http://www.spokesmanreview.com/zags/slideshows/111506/r_02.jpg

23dpg
06-30-2007, 09:08 AM
Very cool. Nicely done Matt.

BobZag
06-30-2007, 09:23 AM
Matt left Thursday; they had workouts that night and two practices today. They are supposed to have the first cut tomorrow night but Matt was called in after the second practice tonight and was told he was core. Sunday they will scrimmage the Chinese national team, Yao and the gang. When they are on tour they will play the regular Chinese U19 team.

I'm really happy for Matt and Gonzaga.

There's more news on just how much Matt has improved thus far.

Later.

ZagMania
06-30-2007, 09:32 AM
Sounds amazing.. some great names on that team.

gamagin
06-30-2007, 10:21 AM
It also does me heart good to see this kind of validation for a kid we all know and believe is among the very best.

turns out others think so, too.

RebornZag
06-30-2007, 10:31 AM
Right on Matt!!! Congrats...We all knew you could do it. Makes us all feel proud. I think you're so right Bob. Can hardly wait to see his improvement. Like you said some time ago, (a paraphrase), If Matt improves as much as Pargo did between his 1st and 2nd years Matt will be something awesome to see. Next years team just seems so good from a distance. Developing chemistry will be the important thing now. You just can't have 10 scoring machines. They'll have to learn to take what opponents give them, because there will always be something to exploit if the guys are patient enough. I really think they will be.

D Hark 2003
06-30-2007, 12:00 PM
Nice, this experience should only make him better

CDC84
06-30-2007, 12:05 PM
As I have been saying from the beginning.........this was a no brainer. Matt was more of a certainty to make this team than any Zag who has ever tried out for any of the USA teams. That includes Ammo....anyone. His versatility is indispensable to a team of this nature.

It's good to see Stephen Curry make the team. Interesting that they chose two of Syracuse's recruits......

CDC84
06-30-2007, 12:37 PM
http://draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=2155

Draftexpress.com, and I would imagine nbadraft.net, will be providing extensive coverage of the U-19 FIBA tourney.

Oregon Zag
06-30-2007, 03:13 PM
Matt adds so much to the team. This is an honor, not only for him, but for the team and the fans! Way to go, Matt!

Zagdawg
06-30-2007, 03:32 PM
Outstanding!!

BobZag
06-30-2007, 04:22 PM
To say Bouldin is showing commitment would be an understatement. When he got home from school he took off 3 days and started in. His schedule is 3 days on, 1 off, 2 days on, 1 off. Daily: 10 miles early; 2 hrs. weights; 1 hour swim; rest; 500 to 750 baskets; 4 to 5 miles evening run. He is at 210 and is in game shape.

One thing we will see for sure is that he will be going to the ball from now on, something he didn't do this past year.

He has always had floor sense and good passing but he has improved and matured.

By the way he'll be at the point for the USA.

lawzag
06-30-2007, 04:37 PM
Awesome Matt!

With Matt at the PT and Tajuan Porter as the shooting guard, this USA team will have an incredible outside presence.

BZ sounds like Matt is way beyond just "commitment" at this point!!
Can't wait to see him play in November.:)

ZagNative
06-30-2007, 05:07 PM
Bios of the players can be found in a .pdf file media guide at this page, under Section II: Link (http://www.usabasketball.com/men_team.php?page=mu19wc_media)

schedule (http://www.usabasketball.com/men_team.php?page=mu19wc_schedule)

Times are local (Dallas)

Nevtelen
06-30-2007, 05:44 PM
Wow!

I'm gettin' goosebumps. Bouldin is going to be a monster this season.

BTW, I remember a couple of times during the season when the announcers talked about Bouldin's dad's vertical and said when they asked him about it, he just didn't have it. Guess he might be getting it soon. :)

Nevtelen
06-30-2007, 06:57 PM
Another thing about this - I'm pretty sure Patrick Mills, the St Mary's recruit, is playing point for the Australian team. I see that we're not in a group with them, but it's possible the two teams would play in a later round, depending on how they each did. It'd be interesting to see how they play against one another.

lothar98zag
07-01-2007, 07:47 PM
Congrats MB! :)

sittingon50
07-02-2007, 10:36 PM
R.E. BZ's reference to Matt doing 15 miles a day; if we could get him down to about 140Lbs. we might have ourselves a decent Cross Country runner!

CDC84
07-03-2007, 07:59 AM
How would you like to do those 15 miles per day in the high altitude of Colorado? Doesn't sound like a lot of fun.......

former1dog
07-03-2007, 09:18 AM
R.E. BZ's reference to Matt doing 15 miles a day; if we could get him down to about 140Lbs. we might have ourselves a decent Cross Country runner!

:lmao:

Exactly.

Seriously, though, I'm kinda hoping this is 10 miles biking or other cardio vascular activity and not running. For the life of me, I cannot see the logic in a 200 + lbs. basketball player runnning 70 miles a week in 5 days of training, which is a 100 mile a week pace.

Many, many very good distance runners don't cover that much ground in a typical week.

The injury risk of running that much for a heavier person (relatively speaking of course) vs. the training reward is not worth it.

pbriz
07-03-2007, 11:36 AM
running 10+ miles/day as a basketball player will decrease the ability to develop muscle fibers that will improve matts quickness. This should be of significant concern if its true because endurance isn't a top priority this year with our team due to the depth of the roster, and even if it was 10+ miles a day is overkill

ZagDaddy
07-03-2007, 12:00 PM
running 10+ miles/day as a basketball player will decrease the ability to develop muscle fibers that will improve matts quickness. This should be of significant concern if its true because endurance isn't a top priority this year with our team due to the depth of the roster, and even if it was 10+ miles a day is overkill

I couldn't agree more about this being overkill. While appreciate the work ethic, this is too much and begging for injury. I'd like to see the team as a whole throttle back a bit this summer. I hate to see us start another year dealing with overuse injuries.

CDC84
07-03-2007, 12:57 PM
I doubt he is running and training like that right now since he made the U19 team....a lot of his work was probably to make certain he was in game shape for the trials.