• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Radbooks
    Zag for Life
    • Jun 2007

Top 50 athletes in the Inland NW

The Inlander magazine has come up with a list of the top 50 athletes that played high school in Eastern Washington/North Idaho and then went on to have success at higher levels... both college and pros or Olympics. It'll make for some interesting discussion. The author, Howie Stalwick, picked Ryne Sandberg over John Stockton and while I don't agree with it, I can see his point.

The article is in this week's edition of the Inlander. I think you can pick it up locally in Spokane too, but I'm not sure.

Edit: I just noticed that you can read the article on the left (as it would appear in the magazine) side of the page by enlarging it a bit and there is more info about some of the athletes. I also noticed that John Blanchette and Dennis Patchin both chose John Stockton as their #1.
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus
  • Zag 77
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Other Zags

#9 Adam Morrsion
    #18 Ray Flaherty (1920's football)
    #35 Max Krause (football)
    #48 Mike Redmond (MLB baseball)

Comment

• GU69
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Why isn't Gene Conley on this list?

Went to high school in Richland, then played professionally in both baseball and basketball (and on championship teams in both).

Comment

• 77Zag
        Zag for Life
        • Aug 2007

No Hope?

What about Hope Solo -- didn't she go to Richland High?

Maybe they don't consider the TriCities as part of Eastern Washington???
        “The true measure of a Jesuit education,” said former Superior General Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, “is not what our students do, but who they become.”

Comment

• U Zig, I Zag
          Zag for Life
          • Mar 2009

Well, to be fair, we do call it the 'Dry Sh#tties'...

Comment

• B Wayne
            Kennel Club
            • Nov 2007

Tri Cities, Inland Empire and Eastern Washington

Originally posted by 77Zag View Post
            What about Hope Solo -- didn't she go to Richland High?

Maybe they don't consider the TriCities as part of Eastern Washington???
            The Tri Cities are in Eastern Washington, but traditionally not considered part of the Inland Empire.

Comment

• gamagin
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

this list is exceptional by those left off.

Originally posted by Radbooks View Post
              The Inlander magazine has come up with a list of the top 50 athletes that played high school in Eastern Washington/North Idaho and then went on to have success at higher levels... both college and pros or Olympics. It'll make for some interesting discussion. The author, Howie Stalwick, picked Ryne Sandberg over John Stockton and while I don't agree with it, I can see his point.

The article is in this week's edition of the Inlander. I think you can pick it up locally in Spokane too, but I'm not sure.

Edit: I just noticed that you can read the article on the left (as it would appear in the magazine) side of the page by enlarging it a bit and there is more info about some of the athletes. I also noticed that John Blanchette and Dennis Patchin both chose John Stockton as their #1.
              Like most lists, it reveals more about what the writer doesn't know than what he knows. There are enough old sports fans and pundits to make this a worthwhile list instead of a fairly predictable, incomplete, filler piece. You could find a half a dozen just from Gonzaga Prep. Dennis McCanna (all state, fb & bb, held yards per carry record for some 50 years), Jim Moran (NY Giants), Gary Pettigrew (Philadelphia eagles) & Phil Shinnick (UW - held the world broad jump record, only to have it taken away because the wind wasn't measured) to name four easy ones. Houston Stockton, Herm Brass, Ray Hare, Carl Maxey & Jerry Vermillion are five more GU stars for the ages.

It goes on.
              Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
              Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
              Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

• duper
                Kennel Club
                • Apr 2008

Another GU player who could or should have been on the list is Tammy Tibbles. She was all you heard about in Spokane during State B in early 80's and had a good career at GU, actually an amazing GU career.

GU stats
                FR 15.8 pts
                SO 16.9 pts
                JR 22.1 pts
                SR 18.0 pts

Plus I believe 2 state championships.

Comment

• SunDevilGolfZag
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

edited for mistake in post

Comment

• Angelo Roncalli
                    Bleeds Bulldog Blue
                    • Feb 2007

If Yakima and Naches high school qualify as being in E. WA, then the omission of Phil and Steve Mahre is a huge oversight. If Yakima is Central WA, never mind.
                    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Comment

• kjstoph1
                      Bulldog Fan
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Radbooks View Post

The top 3 should be Rypien, Sandberg and Stockton - take your pick on which to place at the top. For pro accomplishments in their specific sport, Sandberg or Stockton make sense. For pure athletic talent, Rypien is the choice.

Patchen's omission of Rypien is simply a farce.

Tammy Tibbles absence is glaring. Jeanne Eggart should be higher on the list.

Comment

Working...
                      X