PDA

View Full Version : Believe it or not: A game Monday night

BobZag
02-11-2007, 02:51 PM
And the nation's longest home win streak is in serious jeopardy. Santa Clara is on a nice roll, playing some outstanding ball, and they'll be coming into K2 with a full head of steam, with every intention of winning it. Thought SMC was going to be tough? Well, SCU has handled SMC twice this year. They have a "win one for the Gipper" mentality as Dick Davey has announced his resignation at year's end, so they'll be out to give him a WCC Title for a going away gift, and it'll start right here in K2 Monday night on ESPN2.

They have a stable of BIG bigs that rival Sanham in size, and with the Zags basically being barely more than a doughnut team now, you can bet the mortgage Davey will be pounding it inside. But their guards will make GU pay if the Zags collapse on their bigs too much. Y'all know Danny Pariseau wants nothing more than to "beat Gonzaga", as he stated last fall. Danny has some nice backcourt mates, Brody Angley among them, with Mitch Henke on the wing, just to name two veterans. In short, Davey has his team clicking and it'll take a huge effort by GU to win this game.

Everybody has to step up and play their A-Games, from freshman Bouldin to the two seniors to the newcomer Downs. The Kennel Club has to bring their A-Game. Every Zag fan has to bring their A-Game. These Zags need the best homecourt advantage in the country Monday.

Few will have to go small for periods of time--

Raivio
Pargo
Bouldin
Downs
Pendo

--and Few will have to defense-offense at times--

Raivio
Pargo
Downs
Kuso
Mallon

Pierre will be asked to spell his backcourt mates and be smart and aggressive. And like Saturday's game, the guys will be asked to play more minutes than they have averaged before. The guys will be called upon to play out of position, ala Downs and Bouldin at the 4. Guards will be posting up as Few inverts the offense. Swarming, fullcourt pressure will have to be applied to keep SCU off guard and to goad them into quick, bad shots.

It's going to be a tough test for our Zags, and the league lead AND the win streak in K2 are at stake.

Bring it, Zags. Kennel Club, lead the way.

zaguarxj
02-11-2007, 03:02 PM
It'll be up to Pendo and/or Bouldin to really bring some game. Downs and PMAC need to contribute as well.

BobZag
02-11-2007, 03:11 PM
I've noticed that, the better Bouldin plays (hitting treys, driving to hoop, etc.) the better this Zag team is. But yes, if Pendo and Downs turn it on, it'll be a huge boost. On the radio postgame show yesterday, Tommy Lloyd said he thinks Downs is on the verge of a breakout at any time now.

john montana
02-11-2007, 03:13 PM
we'll need offense from bouldin and downs, because everyone will now focus even more on drav.

huge game...

TheBeast
02-11-2007, 03:15 PM
I think Pendo is going to get a lot done in this game. Drav and Pargo will be defended pretty well, but my man Pendo will probably work his butt off and get things done.
On a more serious note, I can't wait to hear the reaction to Danny P. when he comes out.

GonzagasaurusFlex
02-11-2007, 03:20 PM
This will be a fun chess match to watch. As much as we'll be hard pressed to defend the low post against their bigs, if SCU plays manvman defense they'll have bigs guarding quicker guys like Micah and Pendo...perhaps even Bouldin. If Pendo, Micah and Matt have their 3-pt strokes falling I like our chances. The key for our defense will be to force them into turnovers w our smaller, quicker lineup and not give them the chance to feed the post...as BZ already mentioned. I'm looking forward to the coaching moves as much as the moves on the court in this game

zaglawdad
02-11-2007, 03:54 PM
The Zags had a bad 3 point effort the last time the two teams met. 2 for 14 as a team and Drav was only 1 of 8. That could stand some improvement this time around. Better defense on Dougherty and Dennison this time. The two of them combined for 29 points in the first meeting. The Zags will need a good 3 point night, limited turnovers, and some decent rebounding.

sullyzag66
02-11-2007, 03:57 PM
I was at the SCU/Portland game last night. Granted, Portland is not Gonzaga, but SCU is tough and disciplined. Their two big men, Bryant and Higgins are quite agile for their sizes. They have to spell each other because they seem to tire after a while, but they don't lose much in the exchange. Pariseau is a very good passer and can shoot the three. Clogging the middle on those two big guys will be a challenge, so I suggest running the big guys ragged. Won't be easy.

BobZag
02-11-2007, 03:59 PM
Pendo missed three bunnies (layins) vs SMC and Matt missed one. That puts Pendo and Matt at 14, instead of 8 and 12. Pargo and Pierre missed a couple near-gimmes, as well.

Those easy shots need to be made. Every point is very important. But as much as this team needs offense, it's defense that would make it all work.

El Voce
02-11-2007, 04:04 PM
Pariseau cannot defend either Pargo or Raivio. If his flops aren't working, he doesn'thave much going for him on the defensive end. He will probably start flopping coming off the bus and not quit flopping til he takes his shower afterwards. That said, he's not a bad kid at all. He very much wanted to be a Zag, but it didn't work out for him, so I am sure he would love to beat us.

At the other end, the Zags must keep a man on Daugherty (sp?), the son of a former Zag gunner. The kid has the same shot from the same distance that his old man did.

On offense we must fight for position and flow. Santa Clara has, historically, been the dirtiest team in the league, holding, blocking, flopping their way to many wins.

The Zags showed last night that when they play hard for 40 minutes, good things will happen. If the team, and the crowd, replicate Saturday's effort, the Zags will win. Anything less, then it's anybody's game.

GonzagaLove
02-11-2007, 04:05 PM
A breakout by Micah is definitely needed, but I think Kuso could (and must) give us the biggest boost. He needs to replicate the performance he had against North Carolina each night for the rest of the season. I don't necessarily think we should be feeding him the ball (ala Batista), but he needs to make all of his put backs and garbage points and avoid careless fouls and turnovers. If he can do that, we might just stand a chance.

RebornZag
02-11-2007, 04:06 PM
I can hardly wait...K2 will be rockin like never before. We will need K2 in this one, and they WILL bring their A game. All of you who are SOOOO lucky to be there. Will our home streak be stopped? NOT by THESE Bronco's!!!

They are big. 7'0" 305...We are fast!!!
They are motivated to win for their coach!! We are motivated like NEVER before....To win for our coach and TEAM!!! Motivation I believe goes to Zags.

They THINK they're better. We KNOW we are.
They're coming into K2 to break our record. NOT TOMORROW, BABY!!! NOT IN OUR HOUSE.

K2 will be electrified by the electrifying play of the Zags. Our Ninja sharp shooters are coming out tomorrow to display their 3 pt efficiency. Our Gladiators wil be bringing an assortment of weapons to kick some (you know what). Get ready to see the New Zags....An Electrified Version!!!

We've all heard about Danny Pariseau and his life long ambition to beat Gonzaga, and his resentment because we wouldn't give him what he demanded. Time's running out Danny!!! Prepare for one more rejection!

ZagPants
02-11-2007, 04:48 PM
I can hardly wait...K2 will be rockin like never before. We will need K2 in this one, and they WILL bring their A game. All of you who are SOOOO lucky to be there. Will our home streak be stopped? NOT by THESE Bronco's!!!

They are big. 7'0" 305...We are fast!!!
They are motivated to win for their coach!! We are motivated like NEVER before....To win for our coach and TEAM!!! Motivation I believe goes to Zags.

They THINK they're better. We KNOW we are.
They're coming into K2 to break our record. NOT TOMORROW, BABY!!! NOT IN OUR HOUSE.

K2 will be electrified by the electrifying play of the Zags. Our Ninja sharp shooters are coming out tomorrow to display their 3 pt efficiency. Our Gladiators wil be bringing an assortment of weapons to kick some (you know what). Get ready to see the New Zags....An Electrified Version!!!

We've all heard about Danny Pariseau and his life long ambition to beat Gonzaga, and his resentment because we wouldn't give him what he demanded. Time's running out Danny!!! Prepare for one more rejection!

While that may have sounded like a long winded, B action movie review I'm right there with you.

UberZagFan
02-11-2007, 05:06 PM
Pariseau cannot defend either Pargo or Raivio. If his flops aren't working, he doesn'thave much going for him on the defensive end. He will probably start flopping coming off the bus and not quit flopping til he takes his shower afterwards.

Classic! Only from the Voice of Reason.

Yes, I agree and it needs repeating: As much as we may be limited in the bigs department, SCU has many more matchup concerns. There are at least 4 guys on GU that will see significant minutes that SCU must be concerned with (Pargo, DRav, Downs and Bouldin). Pendo could be another x-factor in this game similar to Stanford. I really want to see GU come out attacking, using its advantages early and forcing SCU to make adjustments-not the other way around. Too many times this year we have been responding as opposed to asserting. I suspect the assertiveness will start tomorrow with DRav shooting better than 1 for 8 from 3 and with Bouldin attacking the rim.

Bulldog
02-11-2007, 05:20 PM
Davey is on his way out and and as a parting gift he has taught his team how to play dirty and cheat anyway possible. They are coming in to try to finish off what they perceive to be a wounded animal, the only problem is, up here in the northwest we know that the worst thing you can do is mess with a wounded animal. Watch your step SC, a wounded dog is not something to try to play with. GRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!

ZaggyStardust
02-11-2007, 05:36 PM
I don't often post on these type of threads cuz I'm just not a good x's and o's person - I tend to analyze the game from more of a philosophical and psychological point of view but here goes. I was so inspired by things said by the players and Coach Few after the game last night - particularly Micah. The interviews are posted on Krem.com in case you missed my thread with the links. Anyway, Coach Few said that in his entire 18 years of coaching at GU, he has never been prouder of a team than he was last night. That is a HUGE statement. And Micah said that yesterday was a mixed bag (I'm paraphrasing here) He said it seemed like time stood still but that it was also a GREAT DAY - he said we "moved up 5 levels as a team and came together as a team today". It wasn't only his words, but the emotion with which he delivered those words. It was stirring. I truly think "this team" has finally found it's purpose. Doing anything without a purpose, or identity as it's sometimes called in B'ball doesn't tend to bring out the best in young men. But I happen to think this team found itself last night and is going to play that way tomorrow, and the rest of the season, however long it may be. Now that doesn't mean they won't run into that proverbial Buzz Saw, but they will be leaving it all out there from now on - of that I'm certain. And I say they win tomorrow! I'm psyched - and I will be bringing my "A" cheering game - even though to the chagrin of my many neighbors, I do every game.

GO ZAGS!!!!!

SpudDawg
02-11-2007, 07:22 PM
Keep 'em off the court in an attempt to match up, and in foul trouble if they do get on the court.

sittingon50
02-11-2007, 07:25 PM
C'mon, they don't do anything that the Zags don't do. They play tough.

SintoZag
02-11-2007, 07:54 PM
I have not seen will fosters name mentioned once. I have to believe he is going to get some minutes now. We may need a big mane to soak up some fouls, and if you don't think Heytvelt will be back you need to get him some mintues.

229SintoZag
02-11-2007, 08:10 PM
Check your inbox, I send you a reply regarding Sinto.

WallaWallaZag
02-12-2007, 12:03 AM
I have not seen will fosters name mentioned once. I have to believe he is going to get some minutes now. We may need a big mane to soak up some fouls, and if you don't think Heytvelt will be back you need to get him some mintues.

i would guess that we would see burgess before we see foster, but if the game goes as planned, we might not need to see either - unless it's a blowout for us of course = ).

NJZag
02-12-2007, 07:00 AM
They seem to be aware of the matchup problems. They also appear to be a team with focus.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2007/02/12/SPGINO30TQ1.DTL

They are a team with very balanced scoring threats, with at least one of their games finding 6 players all getting into double-digit territory. Bryant coming up with 15 points against UP is rather startling. Prior game found him with 10 points, I think. And that was considered "break out" to find him in double digits.

If you're thinking of the "big" who just planted himself under the basket to get rebounds or block shots on his last visit to K2, think again. He lost weight and worked on conditioning over the summer. He has developed more post moves as this season has progressed. The soft touch around the basket that the freshman "Big John" showed on limited occasions, has now been paired up with a better-conditioned sophomore "Big John" who is moving well away from the ball and basket also. The Broncos are able to work around the "tiredness" problem by making substitutions seamlessly.

Scoring threats: In some games it's been Scott Dougherty, or Sean Denison, or Danny Pariseau, or Angley at off-guard (switching up with DP at point) going off for major points of the 20+ kind. But typically it's the overall balance that impresses you. Stats and brief reports from past two games:

at Portland

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/boxscore?gid=200702100467

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/recap?gid=200702100467

home vs. San Francisco

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/boxscore?gid=200702050502

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/recap;_ylt=Al2KD4PJMEtgpSAB54lo2LnM07YF?gid=200702 050502&prov=ap

This is a team which has, like Gonzaga, also beaten Stanford on its home court, with both of the Cardinal's Lopez twins seeing PT in that game (16 min. and 25 min.)

This is a team with veteran returning players. Gonzaga's agile "youth" versus SCU's experienced "wisdom" and well-honed fundamentals. Broncos are not going to get too rattled by the crowd because the players are veterans of past K2 games, and they've been on the road to Kentucky's legendary Rupp Arena this season as well.

The Broncs have a healthy respect for the Zags even without JH.

The Zags should return the favor, with a healthy respect for a team whose players are (remarkably) injury-free and healthy this season.

I don't think this game is a "gimme" by any stretch.

wazZag
02-12-2007, 08:24 AM
Downs seemed to make strides in the last game, his athleticism will be key to picking up some of the rebounding lost w/ JH. He also made a move off the dribble and hit a midrange shot, which may not sound like a big deal, but is a big step for a guy that has been only catch and shoot thus far.

zaguarxj
02-12-2007, 09:04 AM
Raivio scored at will on Pariseau last game, even though he didn't shoot the 3 well at all. Danny got away with a couple of flops, but it was clear that DR knew he could get a shot off any time Pariseau was guarding him. So what do you do if you're the Broncos? If you give DP help, then someone's going to be open. If you put him on Bouldin, Matt will post him up. I think SCU has some serious match-up problems with the Zags' guards.

kdoggy
02-12-2007, 09:30 AM
BZ is right on target. Santa Clara is good, motivated and inspired. A dangerous mix for the downtrodden Zags. The Zags can either shrink from the challenge or go absolutely a#&$t on the Broncos. With Josh out, here are 30 minutes a game out there for some player or players to go out and grab. I don't care if its PMAC, Downs, Kuso its whoever can make the most impact on the game. The easiest way to make an impact on this team would be to play some defense. I really think Pargo and Ravio are gonna eat up most of the shots on O.

How's it goin' over there anyways? What is the scoop? I assume they're gone for the year. Any legal developments? It seems the shrooms seem to be most problematic. My Bearcat Father in law, took his shot, saying (sarcastically) that they are worse than Huggins guys.

tobizag
02-12-2007, 11:20 AM
While there may exist match-up issues down low for us, SC has its hands full with DRav, Bouldin, Pargo, Downs, etc. I think that on our home court, this is to our advantage. Let them score two, we'll score three.

Zag79
02-12-2007, 12:16 PM
zaguarxj, your spot on. dr could take danny off the dribble anytime. if his 3 ball was on it would have been even worse for scu. i expect a big game from the 1-3 tonight. crowd needs to be amped!

mendiant
02-12-2007, 12:18 PM
Here's a thought...how mant of us were perplexed that Josh WASN'T so effective in the post.

How many saw him as more of a mid-range to perimeter kind of guy and didn't he really WANT to play that way.

He had some good post up games against under sized teams, but it seems to me he was less spectacular against bigger guys.

Could be just my perception...

Bottom line, I don't think we are missing that much right now.

I think the tea we have is FULLY capable of doing the job because Josh never really had a strong post presence to begin with.

OK...proceed to yell at me now...go ahead I'm waiting.

Zag79
02-12-2007, 12:47 PM
lol.. i wont yell at you mendiant, but... ;) i think regardless of how you look at it josh out is huge. that 16 and 8 every game. and a shot blocking presence inside. and no matter of opinion a future nba'er is always good to have on the floor.

wazZag
02-12-2007, 12:50 PM
I think the shotblocking presence is what we'll miss the most. Kuso is a good shotblocker too, but a liability elsewhere. Josh seemed like he was just turning the corner with that big game against Pepp. I think Pendo and Downs step up enough that we don't miss him AS MUCH for the time being. That said, come tourney time (if there is such a time) we'll start to miss him more. I have visions of our game against an undersized Indiana last year...

SamwiseTheZag
02-12-2007, 01:27 PM
I agree with 79's view that a potential future NBA'er is always a good thing to have on the floor, I felt that our team defense was far better against SMU on Saturday, than any other game this season.

Considering that this years team has played by far the toughest OOC schedule ever, and the WCC is better than the average WCC of the past 5 years. That said, I never have felt that our boys have shown much consistency and haven't gelled the way some of our teams of the past have.

Unlike teams of the past, we have not put together a win streak of more than 5 games.

There was a sense of urgency shown on Saturday night, that I haven't seen for a full 40 minutes at any point this season.

I hope that the team continues to build on Saturday nights performance, and utilizes the talent that we have.

IMO, even without JH, this year's squad still has some of the deepest talent that we have ever had. Now we just need to play together.

It all continues with Defense.

RebornZag
02-12-2007, 02:31 PM
Mendiant, some good ideas there. Because Josh scored so much from the outside, couldn't we make those points up by other outside shooters like PMAC or Downs. I was hoping so, and still do. Those are the two guys who have to step up. I think all the other guys need to maintain their status quo, but PMAC or Downs need to get more points. I was very disappointed in PMAC's inability to score on Saturday because he was really given the chance to do it and he just couldn't. I don't really know what's the matter with him? He could really help this team right now if he'd step up and play. His shots last game were pathetic. Just threw the ball up on the backboard a couple times as if some kind of miracle would happen. It doesn't work that way.

Micah is the guy that could now step up for Josh's points and some boards. PMAC doesn't really give us boards. I think Micah can. Micah is getting about 5 and 2 or 5 and 3 per game, in 17 minutes. I say give him 10 more minutes to 27 minutes per game and we'll see 12 & 5 to 15 and 6. Plus way more assists. So there are 10 of Josh's minutes. I would give 10 to Pendo, taking his minutes up to about 28 minutes, and give 10 to Kuso, giving him about 17. With more minutes Pendo can score consistently around 12-15 I believe. Thats 7 more points. And with Micah's 8 more ppg that adds up to 15 right there. Kuso should also be able to score 6 ppg to 7 with ten more minutes.

Looking at team stats from Saturday I'd say that Downs didn't get any more minutes. Bouldin got 8 more, Pendo 7 more and Kuso 8 more.

RebornZag
02-12-2007, 07:32 PM
[QUOTE=El Voce;3903]At the other end, the Zags must keep a man on Daugherty (sp?), the son of a former Zag gunner. The kid has the same shot from the same distance that his old man did.

Are you talking about John. He did have a sweet shot. Too bad there wasn't a three point line back in the day!!! I think John was from Jesuit High in Portland wasn't he?

Zagnailler
02-12-2007, 07:37 PM
Ball pressure up top and rebounding like demons will go a long way toward dealing with the size problems that SC presents. Then let Drav, Pendo, Pargo and Downs go on O and 1st place in the WCC is all ours.

zaguarxj
02-12-2007, 07:57 PM
Jeremy Pargo! One recent game (Stanford?), the Zags couldn't seem to buy a rebound in the first 1/2, but then Pargo stepped up and got a couple huge boards. Watch him go to the glass tonight. And watch him play "D". He's doing it on both ends of the court.

UWZag
02-12-2007, 11:10 PM
Pariseau cannot defend either Pargo or Raivio. If his flops aren't working, he doesn'thave much going for him on the defensive end. He will probably start flopping coming off the bus and not quit flopping til he takes his shower afterwards. That said, he's not a bad kid at all. He very much wanted to be a Zag, but it didn't work out for him, so I am sure he would love to beat us.

At the other end, the Zags must keep a man on Daugherty (sp?), the son of a former Zag gunner. The kid has the same shot from the same distance that his old man did.

On offense we must fight for position and flow. Santa Clara has, historically, been the dirtiest team in the league, holding, blocking, flopping their way to many wins.

The Zags showed last night that when they play hard for 40 minutes, good things will happen. If the team, and the crowd, replicate Saturday's effort, the Zags will win. Anything less, then it's anybody's game.

And he whooped up on the zags tonight. The first three he hit was to say hello everyone we are here tonight to win. and he basically shut raivio down the first 3/4ths of the game until the refs tried to make it a game and give him 14 or so free throws, granted some were legit but some were not. Great feeling in the fam to have finally beaten GU.

Hibachi!!