PDA

View Full Version : David's Pizza is closed !

Zag 77
07-19-2011, 08:04 AM
I noticed this morning that David's Pizza is closed. The folks at the Starbucks next door say they lost their lease and the property owner is going to tear down the building and put up a mini strip mall. Supposedly David's is going to eventually relocate somewhere near the Spokane Arena.

You can still get David's pizza at Famous Ed's up on 57th where the David's owner is a partner.

gu03alum
07-19-2011, 08:21 AM
That sucks. I love greasy garlicy pizza from David's. I hope they come back soon and in a good location.

BobZag
07-20-2011, 08:23 AM
:mecry:

lothar98zag
07-20-2011, 10:25 AM
:mecry:
agreed (even if I haven't been to Spokane in 5 or 6 years)

ZagNative
07-20-2011, 11:37 AM
We'll see (http://downtownspokane.kxly.com/news/business/davids-pizza-finds-new-location/51545), I guess ..
Plans to build a strip mall on the former location of David's Pizza is the catalyst for their recent move. Customers found out suddenly that they were closing over the weekend. Owner, Mark Starr found out that the property owners would be tearing the building down to build six business spaces. He was asked to remain as an anchor tenant with his space cut in half, but declined.

"While I could have stayed there, it wouldn't have been good for the business. We needed to grow and not go in the other direction," Starr said.

The new location for David's Pizza is within one mile of the original location and Starr says, has a great view of the court house. The Spokane restaurant will be moving into a building at Post and Mallon.

"I've got a bigger spot for fundraisers, on-site parking, outdoor seating with sun exposure facing southwest," Starr said. He continued, "This is a great thing for us and I'm feeling very lucky."

It is unknown when they'll be opening at the new location.

Oregonzagnut
07-20-2011, 04:52 PM
You would think the owners would offer him a double space. Its all about the $$$ though. Being that close to GU was a special thing as well as many years as a staple of fine dining for Zags.

zagporvida
07-21-2011, 08:55 AM
Here is the link http://www.nwcn.com/home/?fId=125925673&fPath=/news/local&fDomain=10222 :(

gozagswoohoo
07-21-2011, 10:18 AM
Aww man!! This was one of the coolest spots I stopped during my Spokane dream trip!

I was looking forward to showing that place to the Mrs. Ugh.

Here, I have an idea. When they go to bulldoze the place, lets all sit in a big circle around the building, then they can't tear it down. Although....since I am in Missouri, one of you will have to sit and represent me.

Let me know how it goes.

TheBeast
07-21-2011, 10:44 PM
I've told the story many times, so I won't bother again, but David's Pizza will always be a treasured memory.

MedZag
07-22-2011, 09:25 PM
Total shame. Many a good time in David's.

gamagin
07-25-2011, 02:52 PM
owns that property. fwiw.

gamagin
07-25-2011, 02:58 PM
was a Philips 66 gas station.

The adjoining back room was Lou Tonani's hardware store.

The current Starbucks & the bagle shop behind it was Joe and Maury's IGA, with a shoemaker and later Winkler broom Co., tucked into a tiny, two-butt building adjacent to (north) of the Hardware where a few extra parking spaces can now be found.

JS is going to have to vacate the alley, i'm guessing, if there is going to be a strip longer than half a block, in that space. And the Dairy Freeze, diner, aka (currently) Wolffy's, might be a victim, too, if the idea is to build a strip from Boone to Sharp. I haven't seen the plans, but am guessing the new retail space will be built in the back of the property with the front for ingress/egress and parking.

This project could also be in anticipation of an announced 5-6 floor parking complex being built by GU between Boone and Desmet, Cincinnatti & Hamilton (the block directly south of the current David's) in the next few years (that space is now a block square, GU owned, parking lot). Plans are to make the street level portion of the GU parking complex retail space.

Zag 77
07-26-2011, 08:17 AM
David's Pizza was a One Hour Martinizing for most of the 1970's and 1980's. Ray Martire sold the Dairy Freeze when it looked like a McDonald's was going to be built on the David's lot. Neighborhood opposition blocked McDonalds (a rarity) but the Dairy Freeze was gone by then. The back part of David's was a bike shop until about 15 years ago.

The IGA where Starbucks sits was a popular spot for G-Prep kids to approach GU students to buy them beer.

GoZags
07-26-2011, 12:24 PM
David's Pizza was a One Hour Martinizing for most of the 1970's and 1980's. Ray Martire sold the Dairy Freeze when it looked like a McDonald's was going to be built on the David's lot. Neighborhood opposition blocked McDonalds (a rarity) but the Dairy Freeze was gone by then. The back part of David's was a bike shop until about 15 years ago.

The IGA where Starbucks sits was a popular spot for G-Prep kids to approach GU students to buy them beer.

Does anybody know if "Chad" is still around?

Zag 77
07-26-2011, 01:25 PM
The reference is to one of the last proprietors of the IGA. Once Safeway built a new store at Mission & Hamilton, the IGA was toast. I have not seen or heard any sign of Chad in 30+ years. I think he went to GU at one time, but could not swear to that.

Angelo Roncalli
07-27-2011, 05:50 AM
Chad is a member of this board.

a13coach
07-27-2011, 07:34 AM
Drove by this morning and that building is almost completely razed already. Did not have time to take a pic. Maybe will at lunchtime.

gamagin
07-27-2011, 10:01 AM

The Dairy Freeze/Arny's/Wollfy's
Frank almond (sp?) built it late 40's, early '50's), sold it to mike aquino (50's to early '60's), who sold it to ray martire (early 60's to 80's), who sold/transferred it to his son Frankie, who sold it to Pat Jeppeson (rebuilt early 90's as arny's), who sold the property to JS (mid 90's), who leased it as arny's to 1-2 people over time, and NOW Wollfy's. The dental office and old IGA & the property through David's, belonged to a holding company (The Pioneer Club) that was wholly owned by Gonzaga University, or the Oregon Province (they insisted they weren't the same).

McD's indeed did want to move into the David's spot, but could not get a zone change to the lot directly west of it to commercial. That made the the lot too small for a McD's, which the neighbors did not want, anyway, so fought it, too.

Birddog
07-27-2011, 06:57 PM
Does anybody remember Mike Aquino's old Model T? I suspect Gamagin does, anybody else? I think it was yellow.

gamagin
07-28-2011, 08:10 AM
Does anybody remember Mike Aquino's old Model T? I suspect Gamagin does, anybody else? I think it was yellow.

Last I saw it several years ago, it was parked outside the Burger Royal on east trent (just east of the turn off to Felts Field) and was in the possession of Mike Aquino, Jr. The double whammy and the Stromboli (both inventions of Mike's) were featured there, too. The family still gets a small payment for the use of the "double whammy" name from Dick's drive-inn, I've been told.

Big Mike moved from the Dairy Freeze to the Burger Royal to make room for Ray, whose family he had sponsored when they moved from Serra Pedace (sp?), Italy, to Spokane.

And his son, jr., succeeded him at the Burger Royal. Junior died a few years ago. I don't know what the status of the ownership of the hamburger joint or the car since that time. But I'll find out if someone doesn't beat me to it.

Zag 77
07-28-2011, 10:06 AM
Mike Jr's son, Mike, had been working with his dad for several years when Mike Jr. passed away from cancer a few years ago and now runs Burger Royal on East Trent. I have not seen the old Model T in many years, but I would suspect it is probably in storage somewhere.